Warriors @ Kings Game Thread

Things that you will take from this road trip ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Thank god - the trip is over. Kings droped all six games, their pants, dignity and manhood. With 15-28 record Kings have a really good opportunity to grab a high pick. With a losses against the Warriors and Utah, Kings could get into the top 3 of the lottery. Kings lost 7 straight, 12 of the last 13 games and if it wasn't for the Nets - we would be the worst team in the NBA just like we were a year ago. Kings are 1-11 in January with 3 games left - GSW, @ Jazz, CHA. February schedule is brutal.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Kings went to a road trip to come together as a team, to integrate Kevin Marting back, to develop as a team and to win a game or two. They came back as Napoleon and Hitler armies from Russia - beaten up physically, morally. As the wars turned around after those 2 campains so did the Kings season. It went from p[romising and exciting to 2008-2009 season. Kings are losing games fast and often and you have to believe that if anyone can lose 7 times on a 6 games road trip - that would be us.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The fans enthusiasm is disapparing faster than Nocioni's first shot after he was in the game for 4 nanoseconds. You can tell it by looking at the game threads around here too. Last few games - it was the 2008-2009 all over again. Only few masochists are left but we are beyond help anyways.
I expect many more peple dress like ARCO chairs in the next weeks.
Quo vadis GP ? Something has got to happen and soon. This is unwatchable. We need to speed up the rebuilding process either by trading for pieces we need or for picks that will transform, into pieces we need. Worst thing we can do is take the time to evaluate something that doesn't work and something that will never work.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Kevin Marting has disapponted in his return. His play remindes me of the play da Pedja was giving us right before he was traded. He played like someone who doesn't care and doesn't belong. It was aggrivating and anything but productive. Kevin is not a leader - by personality or by his efforts on the court. it looks like he isn't following that well either. He is like a woos splinter in your finger. needs to be removed.
------------------------------------------------------------------
One good half in Atlanta was followed by one good quarter in Orlando and and huge fatt NOTHING in Miami. Heat swept the season series and won only by 31 because they didn't care to win bigger. Kings didn't show up and embarras themselves once again. They shot better from filed than we did from the FT line. Pathetic beyond words
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
my matchups:

Evans vs Wade reloaded - it was a great battle in Sacramento back when we looked like a basketball team - There was no matchup. It was a slaughter

Refer Alston vs RA&1 award - hopefully - didn't happen eventhough Alston sucked

QRich vs. Jax/Walk award - we need that one - didn't hurt us much - didn't need to

Kings team vs lack of character - wake up guys - lack of character dominated this one
------------------------------------------------------
AWARD TIME

TDM - Haslem had fun

LW-VC - Anthony - played 18 minutes and didn't scored against the Kings. That accomplishment is so hard to make. People like Steve Wonder, Mini-Me, "and the 40 years old virgin" - couldn't go scoreless.

JHA - Everyone but Kevin

MIKKI - Kevin

SAR - Metuselah - Jamal Magloire is in the NBA

RA&1 - Jamal Magloire

Jax/Walk - casspi & Wade

WTF moment of the game - game
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Warriors are next and we did beat them at ARCO back in November. Only thing we can hope for is the home cooking because we don't have much of anything else. It is a matchup between two sucky neighbors separated by few games. It is also a matchup two teams that have changed their starting lineups 275.93 times combined. It will be and up and down - mostly down style of game in which anything can happen but a good defense and post up play.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
my matchups:

Ellis vs Martin - who can score more while defending less ?

Biedrins vs Brockman - blue collar basketball

Tolliver vs career game - can he beat 19 pts, 11 reb 3 assists, 2st 1 bl

Kings team vs lack of character - lets try this again. Theory of big numbers has to strike sooner or later
-------------------------------------------------
Evans - only one that looks like basketball player
Thompson - terrible reloaded
Greene - awful reloaded
Martin - pathetic - he was so good while he was hurt.
Brockman -too short - not a starter

Casspi - king of garbage timeHawes - wuss
Hawes - see Casspi

rest = useless
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Warriors are 13-29, 4-18 on the road but they did win 4 out of their last 10 games. They have injuries and even without them their rotation is unpredictable. They score a lot, opponents score lot more. Tolliver gets the TDM. LW-VC sgould ho to Curry. george will get an award upon playing time. Kings might win this. Please !

Last edited:
Lets hope that all they needed was to come back home and relax and that they return to team fun basketball that was exciting to watch.

With the struggles on offense and defense, Westphal wasn't buying that Martin's return adversely affected the entire team.

"These guys have been getting shots and haven't been making them," Westphal said. "Make your shots, and you play more. If you defend well, you play more. It has nothing to do with who's out on the floor. If you're in a bit of a slump and then you start wondering why you're in a slump, it's not anybody else's fault."

Source: http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/2486476.html

^ PW is right. our guys are getting pretty good shots and still missing them but... westphal is not helping by playing Nocioni and Udoka extended minutes.. I can understand Noc playing because of the deadline approaching but... Udoka getting minutes in front of Donte and Omri just baffles me.:confused:

I think we can win this game. Ellis will be out with with a sprained ankle so thats a plus..

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
With the struggles on offense and defense, Westphal wasn't buying that Martin's return adversely affected the entire team.
"These guys have been getting shots and haven't been making them," Westphal said. "Make your shots, and you play more. If you defend well, you play more. It has nothing to do with who's out on the floor. If you're in a bit of a slump and then you start wondering why you're in a slump, it's not anybody else's fault."
I was thinking the same thing coach the back to back nights Kevin played a combined 65 minutes whil he shot 2-14 from the floor and slouched around like his dog had just died before the game.

As a coach you of course cannot give your players that out, and you don't want to do anything...well he may already have...but you don't want to SAY anything to turn guys on one another. That said, ignoring any pending issues could only make them worse. A month ago this team would have run through a wall for Paul Westphal. If he's not listening or goes tone deaf, various guys are struggling for minutes and shots, that's how you lose that.

I agree with this for the most part. Its hard, and wrong, to blame someone else for your poor performance. We might think Martin is ruining team chemistry, and that since he came back players who were playing good arent playing that way anymore, but the players themselves shouldnt use that as a crutch. They cant. Whether its true or not, its up to the players to bring it every night. Blaming it on Martin makes them look weak, they should be able to overcome his return. So far they havent shown the ability to do that, and if Martin and the team cant work together, obviously Martin is the guy who you have to deal with, not everyone else.

The only problem I have with this is it seems like Martin is being held to a higher standard. HE is playing bad. Hes shooting bad and defending bad. Hes taking bad shots. When he is on the floor, we are getting crushed. Now, I'll give Westphal credit because there was that one game were we made a comeback with Martin on the bench and he stayed there. We didnt win the game, but we got back in it without Martin, who was playing bad, and he kept him on the bench. Martin is so one dimensional that if he isnt scoring he isnt helping. Hes hurting, and in the last few games hes been taking really bad shots, missing easy shots, and shooting bad percentages but still playing a ton of minutes.

There is a fine line between playing a bad player and trying to get a player out of a slump, and im not sure Westphal has found it. He has shown a really short leash with Donte and Casspi, but lets players like Nocioni and Martin continue to make mistakes.

We wouldnt have this problem at all if we didnt have so many players that needed playing time, so Im hoping Petrie fixes this problem before Wesphal loses these guys completely.

I feel really bad for Martin. Since I'm new here, I don't really know him from previous years, and he seems like a really nice guy, who is desperately trying to fit in with this new team, but is unable to, and I think a big part of it is the perception of his role on the team.

Although my basketball background is mostly European, I think I've managed to learn a few things about the NBA and how things work here. You have the superstars, and you have role players, and there's not that much in between. Part of the problem with Kevin is that he is perceived as a star, and so there is a lot of pressure on him to be responsible for how well the team is doing. But in reality, stars (like LeBron, Kobe, Wade, and now Tyreke) are the ones who do everything - scoring, rebounds, assists, defense, etc. Kevin is not a star - he is a role player, who's role happens to be scoring. This means he can put up big numbers, sort of like Dennis Rodman, who was a role player who put up huge rebounding numbers, as well as killer defense. They are both role players of the highest level possible.

Now, the question for the Kings is - do they need a player who's role is to score to be added to a team that was scoring around 104ppg? The answer, in my opinion, is that not only do the Kings not need him but it is inevitably disruptive to all the other players. Players who have been doing so well in scoring based on a team effort, now are scoring less, playing less minutes, and in general are less involved in the team offense. There is absolutely no way around that. Kevin cannot fulfill his role without taking away from the other players. It's not his fault. He is doing what he is expected to do as a player (he might be in a slump right now, but that's probably due to his frustration at the inevitable situation, but that situation wouldn't have been much better even had he not been in a slump), but he can do absolutely nothing to help the team right now, unless he gains 80 lbs, grows 6 inches, and becomes that big man that the team needs.

Kevin is a great player and a nice guy (which is one of the most underrated assets for a basketball player. It does wonders for a team's ability to consistently win games when the players can get along with each other). He just does not fit with this current Kings team, even if he was playing the best basketball of his life. I think he would do extremely well with a title contender like Cleveland or Dallas, where he could help the superstar with the scoring load and not worry about hurting the confidence of young and developing players. I think it will best for everyone involved, first and foremost for Kevin, if he was traded to a team that can actually use his skills (and hopefully get a defensive big man for the Kings).

So political about it.
That was the way it fell into place in the pre-season. I don't mean to be political about it. Really, anybody can do a game thread. We stay on top of it because I know there's at least one mod that just wants something up for visitors to the site.

Hoping that Arco crowd slaps some spunk back into this team. I can't wait to go!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kevin is far from a role player, he's a tier 3 star in this league.
The thing is that our team 1 star and tier 3 star quite simply don't mesh since the tier 1 star does the things the tier 3 star does only better (except for shooting, 'Reke still shouldn't be allowed to shoot some of those fade away 3 pointers he takes).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Since this is the first time we'll see Kevin and Tyreke start together at Arco, I'm going to give them at least until the second quarter to get their acts together.

Note: And yes, for the sarcastically-challenged, that was in fact sarcasm.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Since this is the first time we'll see Kevin and Tyreke start together at Arco, I'm going to give them at least until the second quarter to get their acts together.

Note: And yes, for the sarcastically-challenged, that was in fact sarcasm.
I gave up on them after the first quarter of the Philly game.;)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No Ellis either? Suffice it to say we should be coniiderably favored to win this, and to score a ton of points doing so. Any other result throws a cherry on top of our pile of red flags.

Tyreke had donte or kevin to pass too but didnt..it wouldnt hurt him to pass the ball every now and then. and yes i realize he has all our points but im just saying.

I have been watching the NBA for 20 years and I can't remember a player as clumsy and with such a bad grip as Spencer Hawes. He gets blocked by shooting guards, fumbles the ball numerous time, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.