Vlade Divac defends his choice of Marvin Bagley III over Luka Doncic

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly does "prove everybody wrong" mean? If it means that Bagley was the better pick for the Kings than Luka, Vlade is absolutely delusional. If he means he's not a complete bust and can be an all-star ... somewhat more realistic but still far from certain at this point.

What exactly does "prove everybody wrong" mean? If it means that Bagley was the better pick for the Kings than Luka, Vlade is absolutely delusional. If he means he's not a complete bust and can be an all-star ... somewhat more realistic but still far from certain at this point.
I think he just means that Marvin is going to be a good player and not a Darko Milicic type bust like many fans are afraid of.

You guys don't think that Vlade is just going to start piling on with the Bagley hate do you? I'm sure at some point, most likely when Bagley is done playing basketball, that Vlade will admit that he made the wrong pick. But you want to keep things positive and not destroy a player mentally before they even have a chance to shine.

I personally don't think Marvin will ever be anything more than a Marvin Williams type role player but I wouldn't say that if I was the GM or a former GM that still cares about the team.

he also takes responsibility for that pick in the article. I know there was some speculation that maybe he was influenced by other people such as Brandon Williams, but he sets the record straight, even if that influence did exist. personally, i think it was his pick completely. i think he was afraid of looking foolish for selecting a non-athletic player from his neck of the woods instead of an all american. its ironic.

I mean, at the risk of committing a No True Scotsman fallacy, why would any Kings fan root for him to be wrong?
That definition of fallacy may need some explaining, it's little early here.
Unfortunately Vlade had to live and eventually die as GM with that pick. Im sure all fans want the best from our players but there seems to be some invested in Vlades failures. I simply hope Bagley comes around.

he also takes responsibility for that pick in the article. I know there was some speculation that maybe he was influenced by other people such as Brandon Williams, but he sets the record straight, even if that influence did exist. personally, i think it was his pick completely. i think he was afraid of looking foolish for selecting a non-athletic player from his neck of the woods instead of an all american. its ironic.
There is definitely some truth to this.

I think it's somewhat unfair that others who passed on Doncic don't get the same level of scorn but whatever. We have Bagley and this season was an utter disappointment but at least he showed enough flash in Season 1 that I haven't abandoned all hope.

I'm definitely a bit worried with Dumars at the helm for the next draft though.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The No True Scotsman fallacy goes like this:

Angus: "Irish beer?!? Why, no Scotsman would drink a Guinness with his haggis!"
Clyde: "Why, I believe Alistair MacDonald drinks Guinness with his haggis..."
Angus: "Well, no TRUE Scotsman would drink a Guinness with his haggis, I tell you!"

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Unfortunately Vlade had to live and eventually die as GM with that pick. Im sure all fans want the best from our players but there seems to be some invested in Vlades failures. I simply hope Bagley comes around.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Basically, I don't want to accuse anybody of not being a "real" Kings fan, if they don't want Bagley to succeed. I just don't see why they wouldn't?

The No True Scotsman fallacy goes like this:

Angus: "Irish beer?!? Why, no Scotsman would drink a Guinness with his haggis!"
Clyde: "Why, I believe Alistair MacDonald drinks Guinness with his haggis..."
Angus: "Well, no TRUE Scotsman would drink a Guinness with his haggis, I tell you!"
Thanks for that.. it cleared things up, and to think Im of Scottish ancestry.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Of course he will defend his pick. I don't see a man of Vlade's character coming out shortly after his departure and throw his pick under the bus immediately after such a short time frame, even if we think that whatever Bagley's career trajectory turns out it won't be anywhere near the impact they hoped for
Plus it’s not like Marvin has done anything wrong aside from not be Luka Doncic. It’s not his fault he got picked before Luka. It’s not his fault he got hurt this season (unless he was intentionally smashing his feet for some reason). It’s not his fault his dad is more outspoken than he probably should be.

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Basically, I don't want to accuse anybody of not being a "real" Kings fan, if they don't want Bagley to succeed. I just don't see why they wouldn't?
I think we’re just misunderstanding each others choice of words a bit. Nothing a few Scottish beers in a decent pub wouldn't fix. We are all behind our Kings, I never question one’s loyalties.

Last edited:
I will be rooting for MBIII to have a good bounce back year next year. I do hope, now that Vlade has gone, that the support for MBIII will be raised a little amongst the fanbase.
I don’t recall the Bagley skepticism being due to hatred for Vlade. The support for Bags was there until the injuries became a thing and he came into 2019-20 looking exactly the same as he did his first year. While his peers noticeably bulked up and expanded their games.

I don’t recall the Bagley skepticism being due to hatred for Vlade. The support for Bags was there until the injuries became a thing and he came into 2019-20 looking exactly the same as he did his first year. While his peers noticeably bulked up and expanded their games.
I guess I should dispose of my hope now then. Thank you.

Plus it’s not like Marvin has done anything wrong aside from not be Luka Donic. It’s not his fault he got picked before Luka. It’s not his fault he got hurt this season (unless he was intentionally smashing his feet for some reason). It’s not his fault his dad is more outspoken than he probably should be.
I am really hoping that now Vlade is gone many Kings fans can stop rooting for this kid to fail. I'd be lying if I said his injury status didn't concern me but I'm far from willing to give up on this kid yet.

I am really hoping that now Vlade is gone many Kings fans can stop rooting for this kid to fail. I'd be lying if I said his injury status didn't concern me but I'm far from willing to give up on this kid yet.
Just maybe this falls under one of many Laws of the Universe. Seperate the player from the man who chose him and reap great rewards. This time next year it will be Luka who? I hope

Just maybe this falls under one of many Laws of the Universe. Seperate the player from the man who chose him and reap great rewards. This time next year it will be Luka who? I hope
It probably never will be at this point and that's ok, I wanted him too, even though I moved to acceptance during his rookie season when the Kings started winning a bit, it will always be hard not to wonder what if. That said, I just want Bagley to be a player worthy of a top 3 pick in any regular draft year.

gunks

Hall of Famer
especially after scoring 23 on 64% that game. or are we having fun again and I'm being too serious (this referring to a game thread this season where the tip was mentioned and i answered seriously with stats and was reprimanded by @Mr. S£im Citrus for not knowing time and score)
I mean, I was having fun and basically saying that it was gonna be a tough sell for Vlade.

I probably should have thrown in some :p:p emojis though. Haha, my bad.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
especially after scoring 23 on 64% that game. or are we having fun again and I'm being too serious (this referring to a game thread this season where the tip was mentioned and i answered seriously with stats and was reprimanded by @Mr. S£im Citrus for not knowing time and score)
If you're referring to this, or this, I would classify whatever definition of "reprimand" you're working from to be highly dubious, if not outright disingenuous. I also didn't say anything about "time and score," or anyone's relative knowledge thereof.

If you're referring to this, or this, I would classify whatever definition of "reprimand" you're working from to be highly dubious, if not outright disingenuous. I also didn't say anything about "time and score," or anyone's relative knowledge thereof.
This is what you said:

"Everybody was having "gallows humor"-type fun about the game, and relating it to something that happened to the Kings, eighteen years ago. You're the only person who felt the need to take it to the "But stats, tho" level, in defense of your boy."

so this sounds like a reprimand that I was taking the comments too seriously, but if you feel thats a too strong a word, we can use "reminded" instead. my comment in this thread is not mwmt to be serious.

the "time and score" from my comment here is my attempt to use basketball jargon to refer to me not reading the room correctly (the game thread), that is, not understanding that everyone was joking and only I was serious. makes sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.