UPDATE: Bulls match offer sheet for Zach LaVine (NEW Poll)

What's your take on the 4/78 offer to Zach LaVine?

• Total voters
We paid Hill 20 millions last summer, so I’d rather give LaVine this money. At least here there’s upside and a chance for him to become a star. He can be the scorer we need and he has the alpha mentality our team lacks right now. I admit it, I’ve always liked him, so I’d take him if he’s willing to come here. I don’t think the Kings can do much better in free agency.

I know we need a small forward. But I’d rather have LaVine at 20M than Hezonja at 13M. I also believe it would be interesting to have a rotation of Fox, LaVine, Hield, Bogdanovic, Shumpert and Jackson at the 1-2-3. Also considering Lavine and Bogdan have PG skills and Bogdan can also play SF. Starting Fox, LaVine, Bogdanovic, Bagley and Giles could be very exciting.

Lavine is a Seattle guy, right? Wonder if Doug has some intel. Anyway, not my first choice (Capela), but the type of move that makes sense in this market. There are a bunch of teams holding out for next summer and want to keep a clean cap. So, the Kings can steal a higher level talent this summer with a marginally padded offer. I think Shump and Bogi can platoon at the 3.

Lavine is a Seattle guy, right? Wonder if Doug has some intel. Anyway, not my first choice (Capela), but the type of move that makes sense in this market. There are a bunch of teams holding out for next summer and want to keep a clean cap. So, the Kings can steal a higher level talent this summer with a marginally padded offer. I think Shump and Bogi can platoon at the 3.
Which leaves Buddy where?

To suggest LaVine post injury is better than Buddy is an insult to Hield’s talent.

Hield is a 18/5/3 super efficient starter waiting to happen

And neither are really that great of a player. Certainly not worth what they're being paid and don't contribute to winning basketball.

Lavine has more upside than both because he's a far more natural offensive scorer, but seems like a weird investment to me. Unless you're sold he or Bogdan can play the 3 (which, I can believe), not a great fit here.
Than Hield, who is better than LaVine would start. Which already needs to happen

LaVine post injury has flat out been bad

Which leaves Buddy where?

To suggest LaVine post injury is better than Buddy is an insult to Hield’s talent.

Hield is a 18/5/3 super efficient starter waiting to happen
Personally I like Hield as a 6th man, bench scorer as his best role. He probably wouldn't like it, but the Kings have him for 2 more years to work it out.

Oh I'm all for LaVine. That'd be too good to be true tbh. He's worth 12-14 ez.

Kings wanna run right? how can u hate on Zach.. This kid has star power....

tenor.gif

90% of all NBA free agent signings are busts. We have a golden opportunity this year with so many teams facing the luxury tax and one of the only teams with cap space and we are going to blow it on a broken down Zach Lavine. In 15 years, the best you could say of any player signed by the Kings was 'meh' (Temple and Kofous). The vast majority never play up to their contract. How many times must we go through this lesson?

I like Zach LaVine but he is a SG with durability problems and he also likes to handle the ball, a lot.

I guess Kings aren’t in any position to feel settled at any position but I happen to like our shooting guards Buddy Hield and Bogdan Bogdanovic. Fox is a combo guard. We’re likely to have Garrett Temple back.

Just seems like a way major move for something that seems redundant.

I also think Buddy would be a better and more efficient scorer than LaVine with more use.

I’m more intrigued with the damaged goods SF options like Parker tbh or an unproven one like Hezonja.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
if the Kings were willing to throw 100+ million in Otto Porter's direction, best believe they will do the same with Lavine, warranted or not. Have Lavine be the starting 2, Bogs shifts to the 3 and Buddy as the sixth man...plenty of offense all of a sudden.

View attachment 7983

90% of all NBA free agent signings are busts. We have a golden opportunity this year with so many teams facing the luxury tax and one of the only teams with cap space and we are going to blow it on a broken down Zach Lavine. In 15 years, the best you could say of any player signed by the Kings was 'meh' (Temple and Kofous). The vast majority never play up to their contract. How many times must we go through this lesson?
Anyone who uses the Michael Scott Toby is back gif is alright in my book

Wait a minute....1st you said you value guys who can create their own shot ....yet you crap on Lavine. Then you say you don’t want a “scrub” who plays no D, yet your big money FA is Hezonja. Not following your logic
He is a shoot first shoot second shoot 3rd type of guy and he’s not good enough for that.

I value guys that can create shots for themselves and others. Don’t throw money at selfish guys you end up like Minnesota with Wiggins. LaVine doesn’t play winning ball

It's more about the age and potential with LaVine. An Otto Porter Jr type player is capped out at what he is.. 3&D. LaVine has legitimate potential to be a star in the NBA, and he showed off his offensive potential in Minnesota. Again, he's only 23yearsold.

With someone like Barton, he's capped out as a player. He's 27yearsold and a good 6th man. I'm looking at LaVine as someone who could legitimately be your 2nd best player on a playoff team. I think he's got that type of potential in him. I just don't think Buddy nor Bogdan has that type of potential... and at this point, it's not even like you're gambling on an unknown. He's showed actual production through his 5 years, even in his injured year with the Bulls.

The thought of acquiring LaVine would've been impossible if not for his down year in Chicago after his injury. I don't think this is a gamble, but he's the type of player you roll the dice on.

The Kings have been idiots and overpaying in FAs for mediocre or bad players. If they're going to spend money, why not actually go after a rising young player? Just a reminder, the Kings offered 29yearold Wes Matthews coming off an achilles tear 4yrs $64million. Kings offered 30yearold Monta Ellis 4yrs $48million. Kings gave George Hill 2yrs $40million. Kings gave ZBo 2yrs $24million.
There is something to your thought process. I like he's only 23. I like his athleticism to go with Bagley and Fox. This is a compelling vision for a formidable team. The determining factor is whether LaVine can play SF. If he can't play SF forget it. Maybe after his ACL injury that's a better place for him defensively. Assuming he can play SF I would not be opposed to him AND Mario. You would probably get rid of Temple and Justin Jackson. Then you make LaVine your starting SF and Mario back-up 3 who can slide to stretch 4 too.

This is one of his better games after he returned from injury. Look how he's the same height against Wiggins. If Wiggins is a SF why not LaVine? On another play he takes one of the best defenders in Jimmy Butler to the hole with no hesitation. That's impressive. He's definitely talented. If he cleans up his efficiency and improves his D he can be an impact player. I think when LaVine was with the Wolves Rubio went down and he played PG for a stretch. He was asked to do too much. It might be better to play him at SF so he is more discriminate in his shot selection.

I can see why Bulls fan want him off their team however. He was only 50% TS on 28% usage in 24 games. That's terrible. But before his injury his TS% was on the rise over three seasons 52 > 55 > 58 and his usage was steady around 22%. He was probably pressing knowing he wanted to show the Bulls he was healthy and deserving of a big contract. If you discount his Bulls performance due to rust and getting confidence back in the knee with the expectation a summer of more rehab of the knee will get him closer to his former athleticism, then you can talk yourself into something .

His assist to turnover is tick over 1.5 (3:2). That's good for a SF if he can play that spot. That means he can be a shot creator for our bigs to go with whomever is in our back court. I don't know if I can whole heartedly endorse signing this kid. He relies so much on his superior athleticism. Can he regain it? How good can he be if he doesn't? Will he ever amount to anything defensively? If he can answer these questions favorably, adding him makes sense.

0:30 He looks as tall as Wiggins. It is crazy how many times he pretty much abuses Wiggins. Wiggins dies on screens and gets taken out of plays so easily. I think most Kings fans would be more comfortable going after Wiggins than LaVine. I am not saying one player is better than the other but LaVine at 15M per year is perhaps a better bet than Wiggins at 25M per year.
2:25 This is impressive play how LaVine just ATTACKS Jimmy Butler. Butler is probably thinking "Who is this kid?"

Last edited:
He is a shoot first shoot second shoot 3rd type of guy and he’s not good enough for that.

I value guys that can create shots for themselves and others. Don’t throw money at selfish guys you end up like Minnesota with Wiggins. LaVine doesn’t play winning ball
Still don’t get it. so Hezonja creates more shots for other guys? And is better at creating his own shot ? And is a good defender? I just want to understand this gaping discrepancy between lavines skill set and Hezonja’s skill set.
And on a side note, I don’t particularly like or dislike either guy.

Still don’t get it. so Hezonja creates more shots for other guys? And is better at creating his own shot ? And is a good defender? I just want to understand this gaping discrepancy between lavines skill set and Hezonja’s skill set.
And on a side note, I don’t particularly like or dislike either guy.
Hezonja plays more of a winning type of game he can run pick and roll to create for others and knows his plays. LaVine will come in here thinking he’s the 2nd coming and taking shots away from Bagley/Fox.

Not aure how legit this is. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s his agent drumming up the interest for his client to try and get Chicago to pay more than they are reportedly willing to offer.

The fit is troublesome to say the least. Bogdan could play some minutes at SF but he is not really a SF.

Hezonja plays more of a winning type of game he can run pick and roll to create for others and knows his plays. LaVine will come in here thinking he’s the 2nd coming and taking shots away from Bagley/Fox.
What’s a winning type of game? There are some nice highlights that make me think that Hezonja can facilitate an offense as a SF, I just don’t get how you can be so definitive about it

Look at these highlights vs the Kings... Their throwing defender after defender at him and it's not working... He leaves Garrett Temple in the dust and yams all over Sampson.. 1:39