Tyreke Jumpshot

The factor you are not taking into account is that due to putrid coaching and team construction he got roughly as many shots a game as JJ Reddick. If you take Brandon Roy and do that to him he looks like nothing special either. Difference is that Portland was not a team run by mental monkeys, and so they cleared his position out and gave him the ball.
The other factor is how much those fans that don't like Evans hold his first year against him. Take that out and it looks like a very young guy getting ready to emerge with a good coach and team (a la joe Johnson). Instead they point out that he hasn't developed while ignoring how much the cluster f around here has impacted his abilities.

The other factor is how much those fans that don't like Evans hold his first year against him. Take that out and it looks like a very young guy getting ready to emerge with a good coach and team (a la joe Johnson). Instead they point out that he hasn't developed while ignoring how much the cluster f around here has impacted his abilities.
I don't have a dog in this fight. I think Tyreke is a really good player. Remember that I am not a Kings fan but I have watched almost every game for the last 2 years.

And you just failed at the game. It wouldn't be finding a player at $8 mil it would be finding a player at $12 mil like people around here want to pay Evans. But I would rather have Kevin Martin or Tony Allen at $6 mil than Evans at $12 mil. I would take Teague or Calderon at $7-8 mil over Evans at $12 mil. Or go after a SF/PF like Iggy Millsap for the $10-12 mil range.
First, I would point out that most posters around here seem to be hoping Evans will sign for $10-11 million (many get a lot more reluctant higher than that). I would point out hat Kevin Marin made $13 million this season, Calderon made $11 million. Now while they won't likely get that kind of money next season, asking them to drop to $6-8 million might be a reach. Tony Allen might be an easier sell (made $3.3 this year and is 31), but would be hard to pry away from Memphis. He is also primarily a defensive player (not on the talent level of Tyreke IMO). As for Teague, it will be interesting to see what kind of money he gets. I have never been much of a fan but he is coming off his best season (and his rookie contract). His qualifying offer will be $3.4 million, which means he will likely be looking for something starting in the $8-10 million range IMO. Once again, I would rather have Tyreke.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Lest I be misunderstood, I'm not saying that, if I were PDA, and Evans' agent came to me before I could make an offer and said something like, "Tyreke wants to stay in Sacramento, he wants to get this done. Offer him 6-yr/$54M, and it's a done deal," that I wouldn't be all over that. What I'm saying is that, if his agent said the same thing, except that he wanted 6-yr/$66M, my reaction would not be to say, "Tell your client that I wish him the best of luck."

I might try to get him to take 4+1 (team option), but I'd pay him the money.

So Chris Jent (our new assistant) is responsible for improving LeBron's jumpshot, and i assume you all watched the NBA finals tonight. so i think we can all agree that we HAVE to keep Tyreke and let Jent work with him!

Lest I be misunderstood, I'm not saying that, if I were PDA, and Evans' agent came to me before I could make an offer and said something like, "Tyreke wants to stay in Sacramento, he wants to get this done. Offer him 6-yr/$54M, and it's a done deal," that I wouldn't be all over that. What I'm saying is that, if his agent said the same thing, except that he wanted 6-yr/$66M, my reaction would not be to say, "Tell your client that I wish him the best of luck."

I might try to get him to take 4+1 (team option), but I'd pay him the money.
There's another aspect here which hasn't been mentioned. Some are acting like if Reke signed for 10-12M and didn't improve much, that he'd suddenly become unmovable. It would not be a Salmons/Kenny Thomas type scenario. Guys in their early to mid 20's who have Reke's skillset, even if he doesn't improve much and puts up his career averages of roughly 18/5/5 and shoots 33% from 3, that is a guy people would still take a chance on. He'd still be a commodity to some.

Players who put up 18/5/5 are rare, usually no more than 5 guys in the league each year do it. It's just truly mindboggling how some don't recognize the talent and instead focus on Reke on the fastbreak or that he's not a 38%+ 3pt shooter, as if it tells nearly the story.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Players who put up 18/5/5 are rare, usually no more than 5 guys in the league each year do it. It's just truly mindboggling how some don't recognize the talent and instead focus on Reke on the fastbreak or that he's not a 38%+ 3pt shooter, as if it tells nearly the story.
As I admitted when I first mentioned it, I rounded up: Evans' official career averages are 17.5/4.8/4.8. Here's a list of all of the active NBA players with career numbers of 17.5/4.8/4.8 or better:

• LeBron James
  • Kobe Bryant
  • Dwyane Wade
  • Russell Westbrook
  • Tyreke Evans
That's it. That's the list. [/Kornheiser]

Am I contending that Evans is in the same class as those other four guys? Of course not, don't be ****ing ridiculous. But some guys make this kid out to be overrated, and a scrub, and it ain't so, by a factor of a lot.

EDIT - Also, FWIW, Evans has a better career FG% than Westbrook.

Last edited:
As I admitted when I first mentioned it, I rounded up: Evans' official career averages are 17.5/4.8/4.8. Here's a list of all of the active NBA players with career numbers of 17.5/4.8/4.8 or better:

• LeBron James
  • Kobe Bryant
  • Dwyane Wade
  • Russell Westbrook
  • Tyreke Evans

Holy Crap. this totally backs up my thinking.

i think the combo of the new regime in Sacramento, new coaching using Tyreke to his strengths, and Chris Jent working on Tyreke's jumpshot, could push Tyreke into the elite group

Last edited:
Here are the per 36 stats for the best guards (all stars) of the last 10 or so years at age 23:

Tyreke Evans: 17.6 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 4.1 apg, 1.6 spg, 0.5 bpg (48%fg, 34% 3s, 78% ft) 22% usage, 13.7 shots/game

Clearly more productive
Kobe Bryant: 23.7 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 5.1 apg, 1.4 spg, 0.4 bpg (47% fg, 25% 3's, 83% ft) 30% usage, 19 shots/game
Kyrie Irving (age 20): 23 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 6.2 apg, 1.6 spg, 0.4 bpg (45% fg, 39% 3's, 89% ft) 30% usage, 19 shots/game
Vince Carter: 24 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 3.7 apg, 1.3 spg, 1.1 bpg (46% fg, 40% 3's 79% ft) 30% usage, 20 shots/game
Russell Westbrook: 24 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 5.6 apg, 1.7 spg, 0.3 bpg (45% fg, 31% 3's, 81% ft) 33% usage, 20 shots/game
James Harden: 24 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 5.5 apg, 1.7 spg, 0.5 bpg (44% fg, 37% 3's, 85% ft) 29% usage, 16 shots/game
Dwyane Wade: 22.4 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 6.3 apg, 1.5 spg, 1.0 bpg (48% fg, 29% 3s, 76% ft) 31% usage, 16 shots/game
Tony Parker: 20.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 6.1 apg, 1.1 spg, 0.1 bpg (55% fg, 30% 3's, 71% ft) 27% usage, 15 shots/game
Chris Paul: 21 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 10.3 apg, 2.6 spg, 0.1 bpg (50% fg, 36% 3's, 87% ft) 28% usage, 15 shots/game
Deron Williams: 18.2 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 10.4 apg, 1.0 spg, 0.1 bpg (50% fg, 39% 3's, 80% ft) 23% usage, 14 shots/game
Derrick Rose: 22 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 8.0 apg, 0.9 spg, 0.7 bpg (43% fg, 31% 3's, 81% ft) 31% usage, 18 shots/game

Same level or worse
Steve Nash: 14.5ppg, 3.2 rpg, 6.2 apg, 1.0 spg, 0.1 bpg (37% fg, 37% 3's, 83% ft) 14% usage, 13 shots/game
Manu Ginobili (age 25): 13.2 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 3.5 apg, 2.4 spg, 0.4 bpg (43% fg, 34% 3's, 74% ft), 19% usage, 10 shots/game
Rip Hamilton: 20.6 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.8 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.2 bpg (44% fg, 38% 3's, 89% ft) 29% usage, 18 shots/game
Chauncey Billups: 13.4 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 4.6 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.2 bpg (39% fg, 36% 3's, 91% ft) 21% usage, 12 shots/game
Joe Johnson: 15.6 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 3.2 apg, 0.9 spg, 0.3 bpg (46% fg, 47% 3's, 79% ft) 19% usage, 13 shots/game
Brandon Roy: 18.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 5.5 apg, 1.0 spg, 0.2 bpg (45% fg, 35% 3's, 75% ft) 25% usage, 15 shots/game
Gilbert Arenas: 22.5 ppg, 4 rpg, 4.5 apg, 1.5 spg, 0.5 bpg (43% fg, 37% 3's, 81% ft) 27% usage, 17 shots/game
Rajon Rondo: 13.5 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 9.4 apg, 2.4 spg, 0.1 bpg (50% fg, 21% 3's, 61% ft) 21% usage, 13 shots/game
Andre Iguodala: 16 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 5.1 apg, 1.8 spg, 0.4 bpg (44% fg, 31% 3's, 82% ft) 23% usage, 12 shots/game
Stephen Curry: 18.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 6.8 apg, 1.9 spg, 0.4 bpg (49% fg, 45% 3's, 81% ft) 24% usage, 15 shots/game
Jason Kidd: 11 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 9 apg, 2 spg, .4 bpg (40% fg, 32% 3's, 68% ft) 18% usage, 10 shots/game

I didn't include the other all-stars like Jameer Nelson, Mo Williams, Devin Harris who Evans is clearly better than or guards that never made all star teams but were also less productive than Evans at 23 (Ellis, Baron Davis, KMart, JRich, etc)

So in the last decade, arguably only 10 guards or so(pg or sg) have had more productive seasons at such a young age and almost all of them played:
-with good to great coaches
-on stable franchises
-with good veterans
-played one natural position
-had the ball in their hands more
-got more shots

You don't give up on 23 year olds that have put up the numbers Evans has with the disadvantages he's endured.

There's another aspect here which hasn't been mentioned. Some are acting like if Reke signed for 10-12M and didn't improve much, that he'd suddenly become unmovable. It would not be a Salmons/Kenny Thomas type scenario. Guys in their early to mid 20's who have Reke's skillset, even if he doesn't improve much and puts up his career averages of roughly 18/5/5 and shoots 33% from 3, that is a guy people would still take a chance on. He'd still be a commodity to some.

Or try to pretend like he gets those numbers just because he's a stat stuffer on a bad team. As my other post illustrates, he get's less playing time, less plays called and less shots than almost any other big stat guard in the league.

So in the last decade, arguably only 10 guards or so(pg or sg) have had more productive seasons at such a young age and almost all of them played:
-with good to great coaches
-on stable franchises
-with good veterans
-played one natural position
-had the ball in their hands more
-got more shots

You don't give up on 23 year olds that have put up the numbers Evans has with the disadvantages he's endured.
Well, you at least don't give up on him until you're damn sure he can't be successful with a supporting cast which fits and under a quality coach. Especially not in this market where we have yet to draft or sign a guard as talented as Reke, ever. Same goes for Cuz, you make damn sure he won't be a success and won't be one of the top 3 bigs in the league for years before moving him, as as with Reke, we've never drafted a big as talented or acquired one as talented as a FA.

And if these two are easy to replace as some freely suggest, then why didn't we draft or sign players as talented when being terrible for well over a decade before our golden era, and why didn't we simply acquire guys as or more talented since 06? Oh that's right, because we have no history whatsoever of being able to attract similar talent. Instead I'm hearing names like Calderon and Teague thrown around, which falls in line with the reality that we simply can't attract top talent, never have attracted top talent, can't suddenly plan on that changing, and when we do luck out and get talent like Reke/Cuz, you do everything to help them succeed prior to shipping them out, and no, stacking a backcourt with IT/Jimmer/Brooks/Cisco does not accomplish that, nor does getting 6'6" Chuck Hayes to replace Daly and going into yet another season with little rim protection accomplish that. The coaching issue is obviously a part too as well as our poor spot up shooters.

Looking at the list of guys who also put up 18/5/5, on thing that really should jump out is the other four, Wade/Kobe/Lebron/WB all are surrounded by good shooters and are on rosters where the role players fit. If we had a good coach, a balanced roster and Reke/Cuz surrounded by shooters and Reke simply wasn't improving at all and it just wasn't working, it'd be a different discussion. But the roster/coach/supporting cast/balance makes a huge difference. Just ask Wade when he didn't make the playoffs, ask Kobe when he didn't make the playoffs either.

• LeBron James
  • Kobe Bryant
  • Dwyane Wade
  • Russell Westbrook
  • Tyreke Evans

Am I contending that Evans is in the same class as those other four guys? Of course not, don't be ****ing ridiculous. But some guys make this kid out to be overrated, and a scrub, and it ain't so, by a factor of a lot.

EDIT - Also, FWIW, Evans has a better career FG% than Westbrook.
If Tyreke played for OKC (and Westbrook for the Kings), I would bet most around here would be saying the same things about Westbrook as they currently do about Tyreke (and how OKC wouldn't dream of trading for him straight across for Tyreke because he is so much better). It is the "grass is always greener" syndrome.

Tyreke's usage is comically low relative to everyone in the two tiers...more food for thought.
I think this helps to show just how poorly Evans has been used the past couple seasons. Only Smart would look at a player like Tyreke Evans and think: His strengths are ball-handling and getting to the basket, so let's turn him into a spot-up shooter that plays off the ball.

I think this helps to show just how poorly Evans has been used the past couple seasons. Only Smart would look at a player like Tyreke Evans and think: His strengths are ball-handling and getting to the basket, so let's turn him into a spot-up shooter that plays off the ball.
He was helping him "see the floor better" lol

Glenn

Hall of Famer