Tyreke Evans watch

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was sure that Walton had done it, and was surprised to learn that Jamaal Wilkes won ROY that year. And what's wrong with Mike Miller?

The long hair and plastic headband (reminiscent to me of something girls of my era wore in junior high school) just always creeped me out.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
A poor performance from Evans, where it took him eleven shots to score thirteen points, and New Orleans got predictably crushed by Miami. He didn't really help his team in any aspect tonight, was bad on both ends of the floor, and frankly had to do a little stat-padding in the fourth, just to get to his average.

Gotta take the bitter with the sweet, sometimes: when Evans is good, he is very, very good. But, when he is bad... :eek:

A poor performance from Evans, where it took him eleven shots to score thirteen points, and New Orleans got predictably crushed by Miami. He didn't really help his team in any aspect tonight, was bad on both ends of the floor, and frankly had to do a little stat-padding in the fourth, just to get to his average.

Gotta take the bitter with the sweet, sometimes: when Evans is good, he is very, very good. But, when he is bad... :eek:
That's where I think he still needs to expand his offensive game. He's unstoppable ... when teams let him be unstoppable. Clearly not having Ryan Andersen around makes a difference too.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
That's consistent with what I've said for years: you don't need a jump shot, when you're surrounded by guys who can hit jumpers. But, when you're not...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Ridiculously awful game from Evans, as his slump continues: missed all five shots in the first half, and barely played in the second. Finished with three points, all at the line.

Man, injuries sure took out the pelicans quick. Ouch.

Doesn't he have to start? Do they have another PG that could start other than Tyreke?

I have Tyreke in my money fantasy league. I also have Holiday. And Westbrook. Where'd my PGs go?!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The Pelicans have a couple of guys they can slot at point guard. Neither of them are as good as Evans, but that doesn't mean that I expect Evans to start, because I don't; if he does, I'll be surprised. Not only is he their sixth man, but they don't really have anybody else that they can bring in if Gordon or Aminu get into foul trouble.

If coach Williams is desperate enough, he may start Evans, but I expect him to start Brian Roberts.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Interesting that everyone who is available for New Orleans has played in the second half, except for Evans. Wonder what's going on there?

EDIT - I take that back: Ajinca hasn't played in the second half, either.

EDIT, the second - It is now official: everyone who was available for New Orleans played in the second half, except Evans. Seeing as how he only took two shots, it's not like he played that bad, so he must have either gotten injured, or done something to **** the coach off.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I can't be the only one starting to wonder just how bad that ankle really is and if it's going to be problematic for him his entire career.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Well, it's for sure not going to get any better if he never rests it, but I feel like I have to respect the fact that he wants to play through the injury. I wouldn't be surprised if he took the criticism of his being injury-prone in Sacramento personally, and wants to prove that he can play through pain.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I can't be the only one starting to wonder just how bad that ankle really is and if it's going to be problematic for him his entire career.
I've been wondering that for quite a while. This may be what he has to deal with as long as he plays, unfortunately.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Evans taking over down the stretch: poor field goal percentage, but eleven of his fifteen in the fourth quarter, as well as some big assists to Davis.

who saw new orleans offering 4/$44 million for tyreke evans to be a sixth man, given their existing backcourt of jrue holiday and eric gordon?
Did anyone expect New Orleans to throw big money at Tyreke as a sixth man?.
Now I don't know about you two, but I was always under the assumption that the New Orleans FO was planning on moving Gordon to make room for Evans to start next to Holiday. I don't think they realized how difficult it was going to be to trade Gordon at the time they made the signing. I don't think they went into it thinking "Let's pay this player 11 mil a year to be our sixth man." That seems asinine to me.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Now I don't know about you two, but I was always under the assumption that the New Orleans FO was planning on moving Gordon to make room for Evans to start next to Holiday. I don't think they realized how difficult it was going to be to trade Gordon at the time they made the signing. I don't think they went into it thinking "Let's pay this player 11 mil a year to be our sixth man." That seems asinine to me.
Even with the injury to Holiday, NO still uses him as a sixth man. It seems to support the notion that that is exactly what they see his role - sixth man. Period. I'm with you, I don't understand the $11 mill for a guy coming off the bench. I've got to believe that it's an outlier.

Even with the injury to Holiday, NO still uses him as a sixth man. It seems to support the notion that that is exactly what they see his role - sixth man. Period. I'm with you, I don't understand the $11 mill for a guy coming off the bench. I've got to believe that it's an outlier.
Or it simply shows they don't see him as a PG. They see him as a SG who can play PG in limited stretches.

Edit: Also, if they see him as a sixth man, why actively shop Gordon to make room for him?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Or it simply shows they don't see him as a PG. They see him as a SG who can play PG in limited stretches.

Edit: Also, if they see him as a sixth man, why actively shop Gordon to make room for him?
After thinking about it, it seems like they use him more at the 3, like a slashing 3, so maybe they don't see him as either a 1 or a 2.

After thinking about it, it seems like they use him more at the 3, like a slashing 3, so maybe they don't see him as either a 1 or a 2.
I think the one thing we can agree on is they are using him wrong. I feel bad for the guy. He gets jerked around here and then goes to New Orleans only to continue being jerked around.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the one thing we can agree on is they are using him wrong. I feel bad for the guy. He gets jerked around here and then goes to New Orleans only to continue being jerked around.
Not to turn this into a Tyreke thread but while the Kings absolutely stunted his growth, the onus was always on Tyreke to focus on developing the skills to be great at one position (running a team as a PG, developing a reliable jumper as an offguard) or simply maximizing his vast potential so that he was dominant enough that he forced teams to play him and build around his skills. In the end I just don't think Evans has that burning desire to be great.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Not to turn this into a Tyreke thread but while the Kings absolutely stunted his growth, the onus was always on Tyreke to focus on developing the skills to be great at one position (running a team as a PG, developing a reliable jumper as an offguard) or simply maximizing his vast potential so that he was dominant enough that he forced teams to play him and build around his skills. In the end I just don't think Evans has that burning desire to be great.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that another mod moved this post before I got around to seeing it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
What they see his role as is starting SG...unfortunately they have Gordon and despite reportedly constant efforts cannot find anyone dumb enough to take his contract.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Evans with a strong game back, after missing Friday night's tilt with the flu: 23/7/7/2/1, and either scored or assisted on 18 of New Orleans' 25 points in the fourth quarter.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Uncharacteristically bad night for Evans: he did have five assists and three steals, but only three points, on five shots, to go along with three turnovers.