Tyreke Evans Watch 2K18

Damn.

Last person that comes to mind was Birdman, I think he was into opiates and meth. What a bummer. Hope he gets the help needed. Or that the test was an error.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
OJ Mayo got the same ban more recently. At the time of his suspension, this is what was reported:

A player can be dismissed or disqualified from the NBA for testing positive for a drug of abuse, or if he is convicted of or pleads guilty to the use, possession or distribution of a drug of abuse.

The list of drugs of abuse includes amphetamines, cocaine, LSD and opiates such as heroin, codeine and morphine.

A third positive test for a performance-enhancing drug also leads to a player being dismissed and disqualified, as does being convicted of or pleading guilty to a crime involving the use, possession or distribution of one.
(link)

So it could be a number of things, none of which will be easy for Tyreke to come back from. Last I heard OJ was playing in China, still trying to make his way back to the NBA. Chris Anderson eventually made it back but his suspension came earlier in his career too. I hope this isn't the way Tyreke's career ends.

Tyreke dq’ed from the NBA for violating league drug rules per Shams. NBA is pretty player friendly when it comes to their drug policy so either this was a gross oversight by Tyreke or he just dgaf. Is this the end?

Edit. Sounds like it’s from a serious group of drugs, hope he gets whatever help he needs
That’s wild. He was my favorite player when he was in Sac. I can’t believe how far he has fallen. Hopefully we get more details on this.

Sad to see for Tyreke. He'll lose 2 years of his prime and about $20-$30 million. The more serious issue for him is the fact that he's gotten himself into drugs. Any of those possibilities listed, (Meth, Cocaine, LSD, Opiates) are not easy to quit and get himself out of.

He needs to keep himself busy by playing elsewhere and also it's time to assess those he keeps around himself. I guess this explains why I thought his face looked so wore and tired when watching a few games he was in this season.

Hope he gets help he needs and turns it around because we all watched him since the pre-draft workouts to the 20-5-5 ROY season and then to now. All the talent in the world and it turns into this, such is life.

Tyreke dq’ed from the NBA for violating league drug rules per Shams. NBA is pretty player friendly when it comes to their drug policy so either this was a gross oversight by Tyreke or he just dgaf. Is this the end?

Edit. Sounds like it’s from a serious group of drugs, hope he gets whatever help he needs
So sad... he was definitely one of my favorite drafts and his ROY was one of the brightest things we got to show for for the past decade of dysfunctional.

Sad for Tyreke. Common drugs are opiates, especiallly for athletes with injuries and its derivatives .
Nobody gets addicted to LSD and uses it all the time.
Many opiate users move to heroin because it is cheaper and easier to get.
Codeine, morphine and PCP are not too likely.
After a bad injury I got a lot experience with morphine, and several different opiates like Oxycontin, and hydrocodone. It takes some skill to manage them and give them up. Injuries especially nagging long term injuries can put people down the path to regular use.

Dismissed from the league.

If I was gonna guess what he was using, I'd say probably codeine or LSD.
From what I read on the Pacers subReddit it was "Lean" or "Dirty Sprite". So basically codeine and possibly promethazine as well. All unsubstantiated information of course.

I liked Reke a lot and feel for him. Hopefully he can find the strength to help himself if for nothing else, his health.

From what I read on the Pacers subReddit it was "Lean" or "Dirty Sprite". So basically codeine and possibly promethazine as well. All unsubstantiated information of course.

I liked Reke a lot and feel for him. Hopefully he can find the strength to help himself if for nothing else, his health.
If it’s that, I think it’s the same thing Jamarcus Russell got caught with, also known as purple drank or sizzurp. More and more athletes are drinking/getting caught with it since it’s been popularized by rappers and hip hop.

Eh, he looked pretty bad recently. I think he was doing the hard stuff guys

Sad he became his own demise, but i wish the NBA would help the guy rather than just banishing him

I don't know that you can trust reddit, there was a post that was downvoted to oblivion in the NBA sub a few months back claiming to have seen him openly using cocaine in a club. Part of me hopes it's just recreational drugs because those are a lot easier to get off of than if he's been abusing pain killers.

When I was young codeine was easy to get for injuries. I can remember using the left over prescriptions with a few beers. I reallly liked codeine, and it is easy to see how people can start to depend on it.
When I broke my arm/dislocated my shoulder 10 years ago I was given something (percocet, I think); it did nothing for me but I took one a few months later after pulling my quad at a kickball game. I think I had a beer after and I understood what all the fuss was about. I promptly disposed of the remainder of the pills. We do a lot of training where I work with health professionals to give more sympathetic portrayals to addicts because it too often starts with a simple pain prescription that spirals out of control.

Percocet is a good example of a common pain killing drug that is used after drugs like morphine, oxycontin and hydrocodone are no longer required. It is not as strong and I don't think it is as addictive, but people sometimes use it for long periods of time. After a mule wreck and a busted femur, I was walking with a cane after one year. That meant morphine after the acute trauma, then a lot of oxycontin and hydrocodone for a couple of months, and then Percocet for another 6 months. Skilled doctors and orthopedic surgeons change the precscriptions around fairly often to help people not get addicted.

Percocet is a good example of a common pain killing drug that is used after drugs like morphine, oxycontin and hydrocodone are no longer required. It is not as strong and I don't think it is as addictive, but people sometimes use it for long periods of time. After a mule wreck and a busted femur, I was walking with a cane after one year. That meant morphine after the acute trauma, then a lot of oxycontin and hydrocodone for a couple of months, and then Percocet for another 6 months. Skilled doctors and orthopedic surgeons change the precscriptions around fairly often to help people not get addicted.
The problem is anyone susceptible to opioid abuse can be triggered by a "mild" pain killer like Percocet. Good doctors carefully manage these things, but it also requires good patients (who are willing to disclose any risks, including prior opioid addiction/abuse or family history of such). Even then, when doctors kill the prescription that is when we are seeing people turn to the black market or more and more commonly turning to street drugs.

I'm glad that you had good docs. that sounds horrific.