Truehoop article on Tyreke's season and situation

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Jason Jones tweeted that Smart gave all the players charts of their FG%s from different areas, and told them to stay to their strengths. Well blimey, we're going to have an even better time with our starting lineup when both Tyreke and JJ won't attempt to take jumpshots because they have to stay to their strengths and what not. We're screwed.

Tremendous irony given that only a few weeks ago this was a coach slapping a book or whatever it was to goose Reke into taking jumpshots if he hesitated, and telling Johnson not to hesitate/think, cuz he had the green light.

Noentheless, irony or not I'm going to call this a step forward -- who knows, maybe Smart is even feeling some heat. And frankly at this point, in direct contravention of the nromal/desirable relationship, I trust the players to add some rationality to the offense more than the coaches. Well...some of the players.

Smart is starting to sound alot like Theus and Muss. Alot of big talk and powerpoint presentation. This whole pre-seaon we hear about all the fancy harlem globe trotter offense, triangle offense. We hear about how he document all the fail defensive possession last year and now breakdown of where players hit their shot and etc. How about we just stop talking and actually coach??

Noentheless, irony or not I'm going to call this a step forward -- who knows, maybe Smart is even feeling some heat. And frankly at this point, in direct contravention of the nromal/desirable relationship, I trust the players to add some rationality to the offense more than the coaches. Well...some of the players.
Agree with "trust the players" and your caveat "We'll...some of the players."

Last edited by a moderator:
This is from two days ago with Lawrence Frank. Not even he is this stupid. Seems to me Smart was and is simply too scared to tell players which shots they should and should not be taking. What a cop out this is. Pump everyone full of confidence, some who don't deserve it, tell everyone they're an offensive threat from just about anywhere because you're too scared to tell them otherwise, then hand them a chart showing where they've had success and basically tell everyone to not shoot from where you're not hitting? How about the strategy most coaches use? If you're taking shots outside of the role I've defined for you, you sit. Problem is there aren't any roles.

“When you lose, they have to know why you’re losing. At the same time, confidence is an important part of this game. So there’s a delicate balance between being real and also making sure that guys are confident enough to get the job done. Where you get confidence is through demonstrated behavior. Once you’re doing it and you’re doing it right, you get confident about it. You can’t tell a guy who can’t shoot at all, ‘You’re a great shooter, man, keep on shooting.’ He’s still going to miss as many shots because he can’t shoot, so you’ve got to be real.”
Smart is too scared to be real.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Smart is starting to sound alot like Theus and Muss. Alot of big talk and powerpoint presentation. This whole pre-seaon we hear about all the fancy harlem globe trotter offense, triangle offense. We hear about how he document all the fail defensive possession last year and now breakdown of where players hit their shot and etc. How about we just stop talking and actually coach??
There is a common denominator to all those guys -- who hired them. Talking a good game is paramount with our owners. They probably compare notes after interviewing a coach on what they thought of his teeth and his suit.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
There is a common denominator to all those guys -- who hired them. Talking a good game is paramount with our owners. They probably compare notes after interviewing a coach on what they thought of his teeth and his suit.
There's a lot of truth in this. Con men gravitate toward their own kind.

Given their demonstrated lack of Powerpoint proficiency, a decent presentation must look like alchemy to them.