Trading Our Cap Space

Starting to wonder what the Kings could get for taking Tyler Johnson’s contract from Miami. Winslow? Miami has a lot of big contracts and are not looking like a real contender.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I believe the latest CBA update changed this timeframe -- teams only have two days to match now.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q42
48 hrs to match and then there is also a physical? I had heard it said that even though the Bulls matched on Levine our cap was still tied while they did the physical? Maybe this isn't true. Figured that's why we haven't made any official move yet.

So according to Woj OKC is looking to trade Melo to another team that will waive him/buy him out so that he can sign with another team.
Melo is paid about 28 mil. Kings have about 19.5 mil in cap space right now. Thats a 8.5 mil difference. Guess who makes 8.7 mil on the Kings and plays a position of need for the Thunder? Kosta Koufos!

Kings in: Melo, 2022 first rounder (protections to be discussed)

OKC in: Koufos

OKC saves a lot of money and gets a competent backup C back. Kings smartly use their meaningles cap space this year to get a potentially good first rounder in the future when their young guys enter their second contract. Kings waive Melo/buy him out.

Last edited:
So according to Woj OKC is looking to trade Melo to another team that will waive him/buy him out so that he can sign with another team.
Melo is paid about 28 mil. Kings have about 19.5 mil in cap space right now. Thats a 8.5 mil difference. Guess who makes 8.7 mil on the Kings and plays a position of need for the Thunder? Kosta Koufos!

Kings in: Melo, 2022 first rounder (protections to be discussed)

OKC in: Koufos

OKC saves a lot of money and gets a competent backup C back. Kings smartly use their meaningles cap space this year to get a potentially good first rounder in the future when their young guys enter their second contract. Kings waive Melo/buy him out.
They have Noel to backup Adams. I think that is a pretty solid C duo already. I would think they would have more interest in Shumpert with the hope that he can get back to being a 3&D level player.

They have Noel to backup Adams. I think that is a pretty solid C duo already. I would think they would have more interest in Shumpert with the hope that he can get back to being a 3&D level player.
OKC may be looking for the lowest salary to take back and they may chose to "stretch" any contract they get back in the Carmelo salary dump.

Whoever they get back in trade will probably be immediately "stretched" and waived.

It would save OKC a ton of money because of the repeat Luxury tax fines to strech a smaller contract like KK's than Carmelo's contract.

I would ask for 2 first rounders (or at least a 1st and a couple of 2nd rounders) to take Carmelo's contract, because they will most likely be late 1st rounders, since they have Westbrook and Paul George locked up for years now.

As with last year, it looks like the Kings should have tried to get in there. No idea if they did or not. The pick is 1-12 protected and with the way the west is loaded, not sure it conveys.

It still seems to me it would have been best to first get an pick from OKC for Melo, then buy Melo out/waive him and then sell your cap space again to Denver. Well..

Sigh.

Marks has been an absolute genius at creating assets out of virtually nothing. I didn't know the Nets had $20+mil in cap left though?

Or is it because they bought out Dwight that he no longer counts against the cap?

As with last year, it looks like the Kings should have tried to get in there. No idea if they did or not. The pick is 1-12 protected and with the way the west is loaded, not sure it conveys.

It still seems to me it would have been best to first get an pick from OKC for Melo, then buy Melo out/waive him and then sell your cap space again to Denver. Well..
21 million for a pick prob 15-20 range is an overpay.

Sigh.

Marks has been an absolute genius at creating assets out of virtually nothing. I didn't know the Nets had $20+mil in cap left though?

Or is it because they bought out Dwight that he no longer counts against the cap?
The Nets have always had salary space left.

I still can't believe how idiotic that Hornets trade was... for Charlotte. Dwight had 1yr left..but they would rather take Biyombo over 2yrs.

No it isn't, especially if the Nets aren't going to use the cap space. It's just sitting there. They aren't going to sign anybody. They'd still need to spend that $21million no matter what.

Sigh.

They didnt. They sent Lin to Atlanta (no idea why Atlanta does that).
At least Atlanta doesnt have as much cap space now, so its only Kings and Bulls now.

No it isn't, especially if the Nets aren't going to use the cap space. It's just sitting there. They aren't going to sign anybody. They'd still need to spend that $21million no matter what.
Good point (about needing to spend).
I just think we have enough young talent to worry about developing, and its mot like we are killing it when it comes to drafting.

Definitely not.

One thing we need to understand is that Vlade doesn't do this. Jason Jones wrote in an article a while ago that if the 4th pick was available (from when the Grizzlies were rumored to be shopping it), that he wouldn't take it with Chandler Parsons contract because he values cap flexibility above all else for some stupid reason. The 4th freakin' pick isn't worth eating Parsons' contract in Vlade's mind.

He'd rather sign George Hill for 20 mil and Zbo for 12 mil.

From which side? 15-20 mil is usually the price for a first rounder and a Pick in the 15-20 range is actually a good one (for Teams that know what they are doing). I agree that I would have pushed for a lower protection however.

I just think we have enough young talent to worry about developing, and its mot like we are killing it when it comes to drafting.
Yeah for this Kings organisation probably not I agree. But for a good organization a FRP is immensly valuable. Just because we as fans arent used to a good FO, we shouldnt lower our standards.

They didnt. They sent Lin to Atlanta (no idea why Atlanta does that).
At least Atlanta doesnt have as much cap space now, so its only Kings and Bulls now.

Maybe they have a taker for Schroeder? I do like Lin better as a "mentor" for Trae, but doesn't make sense if they're keeping Shroeder too.

Teams should never stop the pipeline of developing young players on insanely cheap rookie deal contracts. It's one of the biggest mistakes mid-tier playoff teams do all the time when they go trade their first rounder for some player who's not going to help them in any way shape or form get over the hump in the playoffs.

No excuse for us not to be in on this AGAIN. Especially with no first rounder next year.

Hawks get 1st and 2nd round picks from Nets

"The Brooklyn Nets have traded Jeremy Lin to the Atlanta Hawks.

The Nets will acquire Kenneth Faried, Darrell Arthur, a protected 2019 first round pick and a future second round pick from the Denver Nuggets. The Nuggets will receive Isaiah Whitehead in the deal. Denver's 2019 first round pick to the Nets is protected 1-12.

For Denver, they were looking to clear salary to stay under the luxury tax."

This is the kind of deal the Kings need to make happen.

Hawks get 1st and 2nd round picks from Nets

"The Brooklyn Nets have traded Jeremy Lin to the Atlanta Hawks.

The Nets will acquire Kenneth Faried, Darrell Arthur, a protected 2019 first round pick and a future second round pick from the Denver Nuggets. The Nuggets will receive Isaiah Whitehead in the deal. Denver's 2019 first round pick to the Nets is protected 1-12.

For Denver, they were looking to clear salary to stay under the luxury tax."

This is the kind of deal the Kings need to make happen.
I didnt see where atl got a first just the swap. Was it woj or another source?

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

now

Denver has agreed to send Kenneth Faried, Darrell Arthur, a 2019 protected first-round pick and a future second round pick to Nets for Isaiah Whitehead, league sources tell ESPN. Salary dump for Denver.

well so much for trading cap space
Agreed, I thought it was time about a week ago, well right away after the 6th.

Sitting on a potential big egg right now, could of been a mistake.

First of all, 21mil for expiring contracts isnt overpay for a mid 1st+2nd round pick. Usually you need to take atleast two years worth of bad salary, now you only have to take one year. Its really a no brainer. With the free agents left, I'm very doubtful you could create assets as good as the mid 1st by trying to get team friendly contracts. Literally the only opportunity cost is that now you cant use that cap space but where are you going to use it? If you go after RFA you are going to overpay and then the player isnt an asset anymore. Also when you look at our vet signings, there is very little reason to believe those possible signings could be more valuable than mid 1st round pick, especially for a rebuilding team.

Also the argument that "we already have so many young players" is wrong. You never have too many young players or good players to add a mid 1st round pick. Rookie contracts are so cheap you get low risk high reward lottery tickets with them, they pan out you have restricted rights to them so you basically own them for 7-8 years and for team like Kings, its the easiest way to either get top level talent or affordable contributors. No team in the Nba is in the position where they couldnt use a mid 1st pick.

This was so obvious. We could've got a 1st round pick for expiring salary so basically for nothing and again Vlade couldnt make the deal. Im sure there are tons of apolgists out there but this is just humoristic level bad. This man cant be the gm for a rebuilding team if he constantly fails to create assets with the cap space. His fa signings arent assets (quite the opposite) and he misses trades like this to gain assets. This is not how you build a team and this is awful for a rebuilding team

There were some reports during the Boogie trade that others Gms have trouble to even get Vlade on the phone to negotiate trades. At the time that sounded so ridiculous to me that I obviously didnt believe it but god damnit could it really be the case? If this man isnt constantly negotiating deals for our cap space, its unacceptable. I dont know wether its his unwillingness to spend hours daily on the phone negotiating or just incapability as a gm. Last year he didnt get that Carroll + 1st & 2nd. Instead he signed 40 millions worth of mentors and because of that we now have 24millions worth of untradeable dead salary. And whats hilarious (or sad), from all those signings, Carroll would've easily been the best player even though he was a salary dump. Now he decided not to pursue this trade. We'll just have to see what he does with the cap space instead.

To me all this just reeks incompetence. And before someone says "maybe Vlade tried to do that but Nets beat him", he couldve done the deal without getting the 2nd or giving up a better asset like Skal or Wcs. We know he could've easily beat that offer and since he havent shown intrest in this type of moves in the past, the most logical conclusion is that he didnt really try hard to get this one

Starting to wonder what the Kings could get for taking Tyler Johnson’s contract from Miami. Winslow? Miami has a lot of big contracts and are not looking like a real contender.
I doubt Miami would give up Winslow, Richardson or Bam. They are a young trio they will want to build around.

Now they do own their 2019 first round pick, so if they attached that with Tyler Johnson that might appeal to us. But I don't see them giving up major assets to dump that salary because their owner has shown many times already he's willing to pay the tax to field a competitive team, even if it's not a legitimate title contender like the Heat right now.