Trade Suggestion: Fox for Simmons + #28

I’ll give up my season tickets if this happens. Dumb trade. Halo is our best 3 pt shooter other then Buddy (when he’s not cold)
You're free to do whatever you want, of course. But this seems rather over-reactionary to me.

Hali is a favorite of mine too. And I still think the KINGS should try to find a way to acquire Simmons w/o parting with either Swipa or Hali (Buddy, Bagley, Barnes and picks seems as good or better than anyone else is willing to give up)

But if they do part with Hali for a talent like Simmons -- is that really worth giving up on the team over?

We're not talking about trading for Kyle freaking Kuzma here (thank the basketball gods!). Or even for a supposed superstar as polarizing (and one-dimensional as the Bearded Hag.

Simmons certainly has flaws, but he is an elite level 2-way talent on a long term contract the likes the KINGS can usually only dream about acquiring.

Assuming "Off Night" will be half as good in the league as he was in Summer League, acquiring Simmons could transform this team from one of the worst defensive teams on record to one of the best. Same goes for basketball IQ and general play making ability.

Again, I am not all-in on including Haliburton. But if that's what it takes to land Simmons, I am open to it.

The entire point is to keep improving the team. Adding a 2-way talent in Simmons certainly helps accomplish that. A kid that is by no means a finished product at barely 25 years old.

And would also get to work with Rico Hines to further his development.

Yep, I think Buddy/Barnes package is what they'd want over Bagley. Get 2 plug and play starters that perfectly compliment Embiid's skill-set and give him spacing and secondary scoring options. They'd be absolutely filthy with Seth/Buddy/Barnes/Green spacing around Harris and Embiid.

If i'm McNair, I'm holding until they're forced into taking this sort of offer. Philly just loses leverage every single day that passes as we get closer to training camp. It's not a fair value for Simmons under normal circumstances, but this is about as good as Philly can hope to do if everyone else holds out a star player/prospect for him.
Since Barnes is 29 and Hield is 28, I don't consider it as big of a loss as others do. We'd actually have a fairly young team with Simmons (25), Fox (23), Mitchell (22), and Haliburton (21) being our young core pieces moving forward.

Tristan Thompson = 30
Maurice Harkless = 28
Alex Len = 28
Richaun Holmes = 27
Damian Jones = 26
Ben Simmons = 25
Terence Davis = 24
Chimezie Metu = 24
De'Aaron Fox = 23
Davion Mitchell = 22
Marvin Bagley = 22
Louis King = 22
Neemias Queta = 22
Isaiah Joe = 22
Tyrese Haliburton = 21
Robert Woodard = 21
Jahmi'us Ramsey = 20

Think the CA team that is not on his list is the Lakers. Mostly because they don’t have the ability to do a trade without giving up AD or Lebron. Philly won’t take Russ and I doubt they want Lebron given his age (and the fact that Lebron owns Rich Paul, so there is no way he leaves LA),

I do think that if there is a trade between the Kings and Sixers, Fox or Hali would need to be involved. Of the two, I’d much rather see Fox go then Hali. Mainly because I think Hali is a better fit next to Mitchell and Simmons. And the contract.

fox, bags, Buddy, filler for Simmons, Maxey, filler. Picks going in either direction to make it work.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Rich Paul doesn't care what Philly gets back. It's pretty clear he's dumped a dirty bomb on them. This is now as much about him as it is anyone else. I am sure he'd love to force Simmons to the Lakers somehow. Absolutely. You think LeBron wants his path to the finals to get tougher?

To be fair, Simmons is kinda considered a 1-way talent at the moment. That's why's he's available. ;)
This just isn't the case. Simmons is one of the best players in the NBA in transition (that gets actively neutered because of Embiid not being able to play with pace) and one of the most talented playmakers at 6'10. And while it's fun to meme his scoring/shooting, dude has been 15-16 PPG on elite 58-60% TS for the past 3 seasons. And I think he just gets better once the paint is basically his to operate in without having to share the same space as Embiid.

Dude has one bad playoff series (14.8 PPG, 10.2 RPG, 9.2 APG on 64% FG in the Wizards series fwiw) and people think he's PJ Tucker on offense. He really is the true definition of a buy-low candidate that teams are going to kick themselves for not trying to get in on at his current cost.

You're free to do whatever you want, of course. But this seems rather over-reactionary to me.

Hali is a favorite of mine too. And I still think the KINGS should try to find a way to acquire Simmons w/o parting with either Swipa or Hali (Buddy, Bagley, Barnes and picks seems as good or better than anyone else is willing to give up)

But if they do part with Hali for a talent like Simmons -- is that really worth giving up on the team over?

We're not talking about trading for Kyle freaking Kuzma here (thank the basketball gods!). Or even for a supposed superstar as polarizing (and one-dimensional as the Bearded Hag.

Simmons certainly has flaws, but he is an elite level 2-way talent on a long term contract the likes the KINGS can usually only dream about acquiring.

Assuming "Off Night" will be half as good in the league as he was in Summer League, acquiring Simmons could transform this team from one of the worst defensive teams on record to one of the best. Same goes for basketball IQ and general play making ability.

Again, I am not all-in on including Haliburton. But if that's what it takes to land Simmons, I am open to it.

The entire point is to keep improving the team. Adding a 2-way talent in Simmons certainly helps accomplish that. A kid that is by no means a finished product at barely 25 years old.

And would also get to work with Rico Hines to further his development.
I mean it’s my money lol. Simmons is gonna hate it here I’m like 99% sure of that. I’ve been borderline ready to quit on this franchise and basketball for a few years already. I won’t change teams but I’ll just stop watching basketball in general. So if the Kings ever turn actually good yeah of course I’ll watch.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Lol Sixers fans really coming up with Fox + Buddy + picks for Ben Simmons packages like they’re the ones in the drivers seat right now.
the way they are savaging him on reddit is glorious. If we could get him here and keep Bagley, he might be the guy with the "grass isn't greener" perspective that could save Marv from himself.

I hope we're taking away pieces every 30 minutes in our offer.

I'd hate it too. Watching Hali has been some of the most fun I've had watching Kings ball in the last 10 years and he seems like a generally good guy off the floor too that cares about Sac. But you have to pull the trigger on that and figure out the complimentary pieces later. Fox/Mitchell/Simmons/Barnes/Holmes is a legit playoff starting 5 with some real upside growth because of the ages of Fox/Mitchell/Simmons.
i disagree. You have one proven floor spacer among 5 players: Fox/Mitchell/Simmons/Barnes/Holmes

the fit is so bad I think this team would actually regress.

To be fair, Simmons is kinda considered a 1-way talent at the moment. That's why's he's available. ;)
That's not true at all. It's silly talk. He's a very good ball handler, play maker, and finisher.

Just because he hasn't developed a consistent jumper or 3 pt shot doesn't disqualify him as a 2-way talent.

Through 4 seasons, Simmons has basically been a 16ppg and 8 apg guy.

He's very good at both ends. He just has some notable flaws (as have many players).

The problem is there is extreme pressure for Philly's "process" to work and it hasn't. So Simmons flaws are being magnified because of it. But a lot more than just Simmons goes into why they've underachieved.

Regardless, considering or labeling Simmons as a 1-way talent is extremely stupid.

In his prime, Dwight Howard couldn't shoot FT's or make jumpers. Did he ever receiver this type of criticism or label? And he was far more limited offensively than Simmons.

Up until this past season, the masses dogged Giannis due to his flaws at the line and from the perimeter (especially in the postseason). Was he ever considered a 1-way talent because of it?

Giannis has played twice as many seasons as Simmons. And just now proved everyone wrong.

Why can't Simmons eventually do the same??

Circling back to the main point, Simmons is clearly a 2-way talent. With elite size and skills. The fact that he has flaws shooting the ball doesn't change any of that.

This just isn't the case. Simmons is one of the best players in the NBA in transition (that gets actively neutered because of Embiid not being able to play with pace) and one of the most talented playmakers at 6'10. And while it's fun to meme his scoring/shooting, dude has been 15-16 PPG on elite 58-60% TS for the past 3 seasons. And I think he just gets better once the paint is basically his to operate in without having to share the same space as Embiid.

Dude has one bad playoff series (14.8 PPG, 10.2 RPG, 9.2 APG on 64% FG in the Wizards series fwiw) and people think he's PJ Tucker on offense. He really is the true definition of a buy-low candidate that teams are going to kick themselves for not trying to get in on at his current cost.
I agree with you on Simmons but I disagree on fit. If you make the trade you have to solve your fit issues not exacerbate them.
  • Simmons looks to penetrate and is a zero 3 point shooter, is awful from the line, dominates on defense
  • Fox looks to penetrate and is a below average shooter from 3, poor from the line, should focus on defense
  • Mitchell had one year shooting well from 3, is poor from the line, awesome on defense

• A team with all 3 of these guys will have massive fit issues

I mean it’s my money lol.
Didn't I acknowledge that in the very 1st sentence? ;)

Doing whatever you want with your money doesn't mean you aren't being over-reactionary to the KINGS trying to land a top level 2-way talent.

A player that is all-NBA defense and averages 16ppg and 8 apg while being able to handle the ball and facilitate at 6-11 and 240 pounds. Very rare combination of skills.

How many players do the KINGS have like that??

I mean, we fans ***** and moan about the playoff drought, the lack of talent, defense, coaching, etc. Is it fair to then ***** and moan when they are making legit attempts to improve the team?

Again, this isn't some marginal 1-dimensional player like Kyle Kuzma.

That's not true at all. It's silly talk. He's a very good ball handler, play maker, and finisher.

Just because he hasn't developed a consistent jumper or 3 pt shot doesn't disqualify him as a 2-way talent.

Through 4 seasons, Simmons has basically been a 16ppg and 8 apg guy.

He's very good at both ends. He just has some notable flaws (as have many players).

The problem is there is extreme pressure for Philly's "process" to work and it hasn't. So Simmons flaws are being magnified because of it. But a lot more than just Simmons goes into why they've underachieved.

Regardless, considering or labeling Simmons as a 1-way talent is extremely stupid.

In his prime, Dwight Howard couldn't shoot FT's or make jumpers. Did he ever receiver this type of criticism or label? And he was far more limited offensively than Simmons.

Up until this past season, the masses dogged Giannis due to his flaws at the line and from the perimeter (especially in the postseason). Was he ever considered a 1-way talent because of it?

Giannis has played twice as many seasons as Simmons. And just now proved everyone wrong.

Why can't Simmons eventually do the same??

Circling back to the main point, Simmons is clearly a 2-way talent. With elite size and skills. The fact that he has flaws shooting the ball doesn't change any of that.
It’s in Simmons head. Did you not watch that pivotal game 7 game against Atlanta. Dude passed up an open lay up that could had saved the season for Philly.

If Philly was as convinced as you are that he can work out the offensive flaws he has, no way he would be offered up to every team in the league right now. Other teams are not convinced either, as they are offering up pennies on the dollar right now.

Didn't I acknowledge that in the very 1st sentence? ;)

Doing whatever you want with your money doesn't mean you aren't being over-reactionary to the KINGS trying to land a top level 2-way talent.

A player that is all-NBA defense and averages 16ppg and 8 apg while being able to handle the ball and facilitate at 6-11 and 240 pounds. Very rare combination of skills.

How many players do the KINGS have like that??

I mean, we fans ***** and moan about the playoff drought, the lack of talent, defense, coaching, etc. Is it fair to then ***** and moan when they are making legit attempts to improve the team?

Again, this isn't some marginal 1-dimensional player like Kyle Kuzma.
I wouldn’t call it over-reactionary as I’m entitled to my own opinion. I prefer to keep the 3 guards and then figure it out after. Simmons has already said he wants to play for 3 California teams and there’s 4. He don’t want to be here and I don’t want him here. It’s similar to my friend that’s a Fakers fan. He hasn’t watch a game since LeBald joined the team cause he hates him.

Since Barnes is 29 and Hield is 28, I don't consider it as big of a loss as others do. We'd actually have a fairly young team with Simmons (25), Fox (23), Mitchell (22), and Haliburton (21) being our young core pieces moving forward.

Tristan Thompson = 30
Maurice Harkless = 28
Alex Len = 28
Richaun Holmes = 27
Damian Jones = 26
Ben Simmons = 25
Terence Davis = 24
Chimezie Metu = 24
De'Aaron Fox = 23
Davion Mitchell = 22
Marvin Bagley = 22
Louis King = 22
Neemias Queta = 22
Isaiah Joe = 22
Tyrese Haliburton = 21
Robert Woodard = 21
Jahmi'us Ramsey = 20
Yeah, it'd be a ridiculously good value trade for us. Like I said before, in a neutral setting, you wouldn't even come close to Simmons with a Buddy/Barnes/3 UFRP. But when you get into these situations where teams are forced to jettison there star players, you're getting them for a fraction of their actual value.

Three unprotected picks is nuts. I mean, that's what Morey wants, but you know he's not going to get that. It sounds like the Sixers are going to be lucky to get one unprotected pick for Simmons right now as he burns bridges on the way out of town to anywhere. So not only is that more than Morey can possibly get from anybody else, it would also tie up our first round draft picks for other trades for 6 years. We should hold strong to an offer of 2022 unprotected, or 2022 lotto protected (becomes 2023 2nd if not conveyed) + 2023 top-4 protected swap.
Yeah nuts.....Simmons is a good young player - but not worth trading the farm in draft picks....ok on Barnes + Hield + next year unprotected #1 pick and two #2s. Hield still has potential upside for more consistent scoring. Barnes is an adequate replacement starter at SF. The real question would be where might the picks fall.

Buddy and Barnes and 1 unprotected pick with maybe 1 top 10 protected pick. I’d do something like that. They definitely aren’t getting Fox now, Simmons definitely made it hard on them to have any leverage at this point. Gonna be “take it or leave it” offers only at this point.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Buddy and Barnes and 1 unprotected pick with maybe 1 top 10 protected pick. I’d do something like that. They definitely aren’t getting Fox now, Simmons definitely made it hard on them to have any leverage at this point. Gonna be “take it or leave it” offers only at this point.
I think I would offer any combo of Buddy, Bags, Barnes and 1 pick, they gotta make the salaries work to our satisfaction. If they ask for Barnes and Buddy and a pick then I think they gotta give a usable player back (one who fits the big hole we'll have at the 3 spot).

I think they would be hard pressed to do better. Warriors have more young pieces but they may see more value in those young pieces 3-4 years down the road then worrying about Simmons and Draymond. I could see them ready to make a decision at the trade deadline after they have seen Klay play for a bit, after Moody and Kuminga get NBA minutes, and they find out if Wiseman is going to earn time this year.

Minnesota is the only other team really shopping talent at the moment and Simmons - KAT I am not sure how the end result there isn't better than where Philly is today.

Now Morey is really down to Buddy and Bagley or best case Barnes and Bagley.
If Monte pulls Simmons without losing Fox or Hali, he'll be a legend for the most head scratching TT acquisition that may actually anchor the Simmons pivot to the Sac.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Simmons at SF Buddy, Bagley trade makes sense in fitting Simmons in

fox, mitchell
Halliburton, Davis
Simmons, harkless
Barnes, metu
Holmes, Thompson

len, Ramsey, king, Jones rounding out the rest.

would be 3 very good ball handlers on the floor. Barnes and Hali better be ready for some wide open shots from deep.