Trade next year's pick? (Poll added)

Should we trade the 2018 pick for Wiggins?

• Total voters
I know you can't trade consecutive picks. So basically you would be picking for the team you trading. So say our pick land out of the top three(say the pick is 4 or 5 overall) Would you trade the pick for Wiggins?

It would trade our 4 or 5 overall plus cap filler (either Randolph or Hill), Jackson for Wiggins

Reasons for Us: We finally get a small forward we desperately need. Great side kick for Fox

Reason for Twolves: They shed the contract of Wiggins. His value compared to contributions do not make up for the contract he signed. They also get a high draft pick and strengthen their bench.

I know we might have to add. But I think it is worth the risk on Wiggins

Last edited:
No way. Wiggins is not a very good player. Advanced stats say that despite his scoring averages, he's a below average player. You have to be doing a ton wrong on the court to score 20+ PPG and still be below average.

No way. Wiggins is not a very good player. Advanced stats say that despite his scoring averages, he's a below average player. You have to be doing a ton wrong on the court to score 20+ PPG and still be below average.
Plays no defense doesn’t rebound and doesn’t pass.

It wouldn't be a terrible trade, but no I wouldn't trade the 4 or 5 pick for him. We need to swing for the fences and draft whoever seems to be the most likely franchise player.

No way I think we would get a player of Wiggins ability at the 4 or 5th stop. I just don't see it. That is why I suggested the trade in the first place

I would really think about it. Here's my current draft rankings:
1. Doncic
2. Ayton
3. Porter Jr
4. Bagley III
5. Young

I love the top 3. If we got a shot at those 3 players, I wouldn't trade the pick for Wiggins. 4-5? I'd seriously think about it. Wiggins is a good player in the NBA AND he's locked up for the next 6 years. Oh. Did I mention he's the same age as Justin Jackson at 22/23? He's younger than Buddy, WCS, and Bogdanovic.

Chances of getting a better player than Wiggins at the 4 or 5 spot is super rare. Also how long will it take them to reach the level Wiggins is already at? Maybe a couple of years at least. I would take Wiggins now with still some up side then the number 4 or 5 pick in this years draft.

I am counting on Orlando taking Young, so this year’s #4 pick would net one of Doncic, Ayton, or Bagley. Every single one of those players would have gone #1 ahead of Wiggins in his draft and worst case scenario for each (baring injury of course) is that they put up an empty calorie 20 ppg just like Wiggins. This is not a conversation.

The #5 is somewhat interesting, as that represents Jackson or Porter, but the opportunity cost is just prohibitive. Look at the narrative too—the Wolves being able to offload Wiggins for the #5 pick would be considered a swindle. They turn that into Jackson or Mikal Bridges, and boom—perennial WCF team. It would be the Hill for Kawhi trade of this NBA cycle...decent value for us at the time but very clearly lop-sided future returns. BTW, we already had Wiggins on this team—guy by the name of Rudy Gay. How did that work out for us?

Wiggins is a player I liked coming out of college. I knew he would be able to score and he projected to be a really good defensive player. However, his defense never showed up, his rebounding isn't what you would expect from someone with his athleticism, and he has become a bit of black hole on offense.

This draft has a lot of very good players in it that I would rather take a chance on (especially on a rookie contract). Here are some of the best prospects IMO in no particular order:

Doncic - I have only seen a small amount of his play. He has good size and a really good all around game. What sets him apart is his advanced skill set and passing ability (vision). The biggest question is his athleticism.

Ayton - He has the size and athleticism to be a dominant center in the NBA. Has a nice mid range jumper (will eventually go out to the 3) and a decent post game. His biggest question is his defense and motor.

Porter Jr. - I haven't seen much of him, but here is what I have gathered. He has great size for the SF position and will be able to play the 4 as well. Has the potential to be a #1 option. His biggest question is his back.

Young - He is a tremendous scorer at all 3 levels. His range is unlimited, he can get the basket and has a variety of floaters. He also has great vision and passing ability. His biggest question is his size.

Bagley - He is a 20/10 guy who has a motor that never stops. He is an elite athlete with a quick 2nd jump (just as high as his first) and a good feel around the basket. He moves his feet well on defense and will be able to guard smaller players on the perimeter. His biggest question is his outside shot and ability to be a rim protector.

Jackson Jr. - He has good size and athleticism to play the 4 or the 5. He is a very good outside shooter from the 3 and can score around the basket. He is an instinctive shot blocker who looks like he could anchor a defense (I see some all-defensive teams in his future). He is also one of the youngest players that will be in this draft. His biggest question is his inconsistent rebounding and what option he can be on offense in the NBA.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I voted no. I do like Wiggins, and liked him coming out of college, but even then, I had some reservations about him. I thought, that like McLemore, (another Kansas product, hmmm, I think Thomas Robinson went there too) he tended to disappear in games. I think he still has those tendencies, but there has been improvement. He's still young, so you would be betting that his potential is still out there somewhere. The one big plus is that yes, he does fill a position of need, but here's the thing. I can name at least five players in the coming draft that have future star potential. That doesn't mean they will become stars, but Wiggins has had a shot at showing he could be a star, and so far hasn't come close. Right now, if I had to bet everything I owned on either Bagley or Wiggins becoming a star, I'd put my money down on Bagley in a heartbeat.

Why you ask? Because you always know that Bagley is on the court. He makes his presence felt. He makes a freaking difference when he's out there. Nit pic his skills or lack of shooting, but you can't deny his heart and motor. His desire to win! I don't think Wiggins has that fire in him, and as a result, he'll always leave you wanting for more. It's something you can't teach folks. That said, why would I trade a pick that could potentially be Bagley or Ayton, or Doncic, or, to be honest Mikal Bridges, who I would rather have than Wiggins, for Wiggins? I will predict right now, that Bridges (Mikal) will end up being a better overall player than Wiggins. He may never be a star, but he'll be a difference maker on a championship team. Best defender in college who is also shooting over 40% from the three. You know when Bridges is on the floor.

I voted no. I do like Wiggins, and liked him coming out of college, but even then, I had some reservations about him. I thought, that like McLemore, (another Kansas product, hmmm, I think Thomas Robinson went there too) he tended to disappear in games. I think he still has those tendencies, but there has been improvement. He's still young, so you would be betting that his potential is still out there somewhere. The one big plus is that yes, he does fill a position of need, but here's the thing. I can name at least five players in the coming draft that have future star potential. That doesn't mean they will become stars, but Wiggins has had a shot at showing he could be a star, and so far hasn't come close. Right now, if I had to bet everything I owned on either Bagley or Wiggins becoming a star, I'd put my money down on Bagley in a heartbeat.

Why you ask? Because you always know that Bagley is on the court. He makes his presence felt. He makes a freaking difference when he's out there. Nit pic his skills or lack of shooting, but you can't deny his heart and motor. His desire to win! I don't think Wiggins has that fire in him, and as a result, he'll always leave you wanting for more. It's something you can't teach folks. That said, why would I trade a pick that could potentially be Bagley or Ayton, or Doncic, or, to be honest Mikal Bridges, who I would rather have than Wiggins, for Wiggins? I will predict right now, that Bridges (Mikal) will end up being a better overall player than Wiggins. He may never be a star, but he'll be a difference maker on a championship team. Best defender in college who is also shooting over 40% from the three. You know when Bridges is on the floor.
They can't trade this years pick. They would have to draft a player then trade the player.

the poll is pointless, it can't happen till after the draft.

I would not make that trade as I do not see Wiggins as being a franchise key player. I believe we will pick top 3 and with luck #1.
Still months away from the draft and with a good chance of getting a corner stone player for this team. The only way I would trade is with a team in the top 5 and a true starter Starter thrown in.
I prefer trading up instead of trading down usually and it’s looking like a draft loaded with quality bigs and that is a position we need to fill.

Bottom line for me is we need that one star and the right one. Do we have a all star on this roster? Maybe but with the right pick at the top it’s a better chance to add one .

bajaden

Hall of Famer
They can't trade this years pick. They would have to draft a player then trade the player.

the poll is pointless, it can't happen till after the draft.
Yeah, I know that. What he proposed is making the deal before hand, picking the player that the T Wolves wanted, and then trading said player for Wiggins, and whomever would be a part of the deal.

And wiggins can blow out his knee tomorrow. At least wait till after the lotto to even know where we are picking before even bringing it up. This is more premature than Pee Wee Herman waiting in line at a movie theater.
I already stated in the original post that the trade happens on draft day. We would be by default know where are draft position would be. I also stated that we would only trade the pick for Wiggins if it falls out of the top 3. So I don't understand your post.

Yeah, I know that. What he proposed is making the deal before hand, picking the player that the T Wolves wanted, and then trading said player for Wiggins, and whomever would be a part of the deal.
Teams cant discuss it till after the season. The Kings trying to trade it now would be a rules violation.

I already stated in the original post that the trade happens on draft day. We would be by default know where are draft position would be. I also stated that we would only trade the pick for Wiggins if it falls out of the top 3. So I don't understand your post.
I don't understand making the thread until after the season and lottery.

Your talking about something that can't happen right now. What if Wiggins blows out his knee, what if the wolves trade him before the deadline? Talking about making a trade before it can even happen is pointless. Bring it back up when it can happen.
I'm not sure why you are so bothered by this. The OP put out a hypothetical scenario to see what others thought about it. That happens all the time around here.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Your talking about something that can't happen right now. What if Wiggins blows out his knee, what if the wolves trade him before the deadline? Talking about making a trade before it can even happen is pointless. Bring it back up when it can happen.
There are tons of pointless threads about trades. It's kinda why the Personnel Moves forum was created. ;)

Instead of arguing about whether or not it's pointless. why not just skip to the next thread?