Trade for top 3 pick...

I was just wondering if anyone out there would package Martin, along with maybe Bibby and someone else to one of the teams who will get a top 3 pick for the chance to get a guy like Oden or Durant. It at least has to be interesting to think about since both of the guys mentioned have a legitimate shot at becoming stars in this league. Don't get me wrong, Kevin Martin is my favorite player and I believe he is developing into a potential star, but what do you guys think?

I was just wondering if anyone out there would package Martin, along with maybe Bibby and someone else to one of the teams who will get a top 3 pick for the chance to get a guy like Oden or Durant. It at least has to be interesting to think about since both of the guys mentioned have a legitimate shot at becoming stars in this league. Don't get me wrong, Kevin Martin is my favorite player and I believe he is developing into a potential star, but what do you guys think?
No bottom feeder is going to give their draft pick for any of our guys (including Martin), without some serious lottery protection. Getting a high draft pick from someone else this year is ruled out.

Also, if we do trade away these guys to some bad team, they probably won't remain bad enough anyway to get a top pick. Lot of other teams in our position (Sixers, Hawks, Cats, Grizz, etc.) want to lose as badly as us.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Yes I would actually if it came to that. But problem being, the other team wouldn't. Kevin is a good young OG, Mike still a good PG, but when you are faced with the prospect of drafting a projected HOF type big man at 19, hard to imagine any of the bottom teams making that trade.

Hey Brick

Actually trading away Bibby/Miller and Kenny Thomas for a (top 3 protected) 1st round pick and expiring contracts and a solid role player might not be a bad idea because the Kings might become bad enough to earn a top 3 pick themselves. A top 3 pick plus that mid to high 1st round pick (which the Kings receive from the trade) in this deep draft would be a great way to kick start the Kings' rebuilding process.

If Artest wants out (he doesn't want to stick around for the rebuilding process), then it would be even better for the Kings because the Kings can trade him to one of the east coast teams, such as the Knicks, for another 1st round pick next year. So, the Kings will have two 1st round picks in 2008. Four 1st round picks in two years, at least one of those picks is going become a star. Martin plus another all-star (maybe even a superstar) will be the future of the Kings.

I agree with yanon. if we trade some of our good guys even for a not so high pick then we can probably suck more that we will get the pick ourselves. The way I see it, by trading our guys to a really bad team right now, (even if their pick is protected) would allow us to accomplish 2 things:

1) make that team better (thereby making them less likely to get the top 2 picks
2) make us closer to sucking more and get closer to the top 2 picks

Actually trading away Bibby/Miller and Kenny Thomas for a (top 3 protected) 1st round pick and expiring contracts and a solid role player might not be a bad idea because the Kings might become bad enough to earn a top 3 pick themselves. A top 3 pick plus that mid to high 1st round pick (which the Kings receive from the trade) in this deep draft would be a great way to kick start the Kings' rebuilding process.

If Artest wants out (he doesn't want to stick around for the rebuilding process), then it would be even better for the Kings because the Kings can trade him to one of the east coast teams, such as the Knicks, for another 1st round pick next year. So, the Kings will have two 1st round picks in 2008. Four 1st round picks in two years, at least one of those picks is going become a star. Martin plus another all-star (maybe even a superstar) will be the future of the Kings.
I think noone will ever take Thomas and his contract under any circumstances

A

AriesMar27

I think noone will ever take Thomas and his contract under any circumstances
the knicks might.... artest/thomas for francis and their 1st.... we'd be stuck with francis but bibby might opt out and bam... i wouldnt want francis over bibby but still...

i wouldnt want francis but i do want to get rid of thomas...

the knicks might.... artest/thomas for francis and their 1st.... we'd be stuck with francis but bibby might opt out and bam... i wouldnt want francis over bibby but still...

the knicks have the bulls pick this year.

to the op... would YOU give up a top 3 pick? and what you give makes the team stop being a top 3 pick. its just nonsensible in every which way you can slice it.

Not to sound too harsh here, but KT's production compared to his contract (3 more years AFTER this one) is terrible. No-one would take that contract under any circumstances (well....you can't say any, but unless the pot was extremely sweet, noone would)

Not to sound too harsh here, but KT's production compared to his contract (3 more years AFTER this one) is terrible. No-one would take that contract under any circumstances (well....you can't say any, but unless the pot was extremely sweet, noone would)
Yeah, well, consider that to be KT's contribution to our efforts to do well in the lottery. His contract is an albatross around our collective neck, and there's probably no happier ending in sight than to buy it out when our need to tank is over.

If we were serious about rebuilding in this year's great lottery, and next year's very good lottery, we should expect to unload veterans who make positive contributions. And that might actually be feasible. Not for any early picks, but maybe for some late ones. I wouldn't even scoff at second-rounders at this point.

I agree Brick. I think we would have a pretty good shot at a top 3 pick if we could someway find a team to take on Brad, and Bibby's contract even if it were for lower picks in the draft. Maybe even package Artest to Chicago or something for one of their picks. If nothing less, you'd have to say it would at least guarentee a top 5 pick.

Maybe something like Brad Miller+Francisco Garcia+Sac 07 1st for Cha 07 1st, or any combination of our pick with some of our players to get a top 5 1st, but not Kevin Martin. The Kings should keep him more than any other.

No bottom feeder is going to give their draft pick for any of our guys (including Martin), without some serious lottery protection. Getting a high draft pick from someone else this year is ruled out.

Also, if we do trade away these guys to some bad team, they probably won't remain bad enough anyway to get a top pick. Lot of other teams in our position (Sixers, Hawks, Cats, Grizz, etc.) want to lose as badly as us.
Very eloquently put...I'll agree, and move on to the next topic now. Nobody wants our scrubs for a blue chip stud that could be a franchise player...this year's draft might be one of the best ever, let alone in the last 10 years.

Unless we can pry away the #1 pick for Oden (which we can't)then I can't see giving up known quantities which are top five in the league (like Artest) for unknown ones in the draft. The league values big over small and a good big man, being harder to find, is worth most small guys...SF's, SG's are abundant. Good point guards that make your system work are more hard to find. So...C,PF and PG are the more difficult positions to fill and in that order. Now, the Center position is evolving to a more athletic and faster player...Amare Stoudamire being the epitome over the Duncan and even Howard, to a degree, types. But since they are extremely rare and Shaq, the last proto-type, is almost done means most teams will have to settle somewhere in the middle...Duncan/Howard vs the skinny athletic types that can run and jump with AS but not score as well. Power Forward has evolved into Nowitzski/Gasol/Garnett types who are multi-dimensional and are counted on to offset the lack of production from the Center position as of old and are more and more athletic playing more with finesse than power. So, we need to draft Power Forwards/Centers who can run and jump and get the other three via trade or FA signings IMHO. And, while I like what Martin has accomplished so far I still don't see him ever being much more that a spot up shooter with limited moves.