Trade for the #4 pick?

The Pelicans obviously have traded Anthony Davis and, in doing so, have acquired the #4 pick as a part of the deal. The Pelicans are rumored to be shopping the #4 pick though, as they would like to compete for the Playoffs this year and would like a good player right now rather than a young developing talent.

Do you have interest in the pick or would you rather not add another young talent to this already uber young core?

We are also trying to make the playoffs and would rather have a vet who knows the ropes of the nba and we don’t have to spend time developing him.
If you look at the landscape of the West it is fairly unlikely we make the Playoffs next season imo.

Lakers, Rockets, Nuggets, Jazz, Thunder and Trail Blazers all very likely to make the Playoffs next year barring injury.

The Clippers (if they get Kawhi) and even the injury-riddled Warriors will most likely make the Playoffs.

That alone is 8 teams with a really high percentage of making the Playoffs. Now factor in the Spurs, Mavericks and TWolves will also fight for a spot.

I wouldn’t be too worried about ruining a potential Playoff push next year.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If you look at the landscape of the West it is fairly unlikely we make the Playoffs next season imo.

Lakers, Rockets, Nuggets, Jazz, Thunder and Trail Blazers all very likely to make the Playoffs next year barring injury.

The Clippers (if they get Kawhi) and even the injury-riddled Warriors will most likely make the Playoffs.

That alone is 8 teams with a really high percentage of making the Playoffs. Now factor in the Spurs, Mavericks and TWolves will also fight for a spot.

The Lakers are as surefire a team as they were last season. Their coaching situation is not good, their GM is PDA levels of bad, their owner is BFFs with Kurt Rambis’s wife, and AD/Lebron/Kuzma may not be a playable frontline in the modern NBA (seriously, whoever plays SF in that lineup is going to get cooked). They’re also banking on getting some guard help in FA with their max money but Kemba could stay in Charlotte and who the hell knows what Kyrie is going to do. There is a better than zero chance that they go into next season with a KCP/Rondo staring back court.

The Rockets fired their entire coaching staff except D’Antoni who they’re apparently holding hostage and are actively shopping anyone not named PJ Tucker or James Harden. They got where they were on the back of Harden having an insane stretch of hero ball but can they do it again while a worse team?

The Jazz are in a unique situation where they have two stars who are hard to build around in their own ways. Gobert is an amazing defender but is offensively challenged. Donovan is an undersized two guard who takes shots like Dame while not being as good a shooter as him. They sorta struggled getting into the playoffs this year and promptly flamed out when they did. They could get better but they also could regress.

The Thunder have real problems. Down the stretch last year, it was ugly. Russ has pretty much turned into late Boston era Rondo with his gratuitous stat hunting getting in the way of his team’s success. Paul George is a phenomenal player. He’s also only one guy. There’s also talk they’re trying to move Steven Adams.

The Spurs (old), Twolves (are KAT and Wiggins really good enough to carry that team?), Mavs (Luka is only one guy, will Zinger even play?, how long before he gets hurt again?, can Carlisle coach in the modern league?) all have serious questions that could send them plummeting out of the playoff race.

The Kings are not out of the playoff chase by a long shot.

dude12

Hall of Famer

You mean, they should just mail it in? This team absolutely will be in the playoff hunt.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
it would take too much to pry that number four, not worth it. Kings have plenty of youth on the team to develop now and it's time that they start talking Playoffs as a possibility rather than just a dream

Fox and Bagley will have to make massive jumps in their games for the Kings to have any shot at the playoffs.

Whose spot are they taking? Lakers are automatic. So is Houston, Dubs, Blazers, Jazz, Clips and Nugs.

That would leave one spot if both OKC and the Spurs drop out.

Dallas: Porzingas/Doncic and money for 1
Max player and a great coach.

Or
Fox, Bagley, And Hield with Luke Walton.

Kings better go after Harris and or Butler hard.

West is going to be far more competitive next year than it was this past season.

The Lakers are as surefire a team as they were last season. Their coaching situation is not good, their GM is PDA levels of bad, their owner is BFFs with Kurt Rambis’s wife, and AD/Lebron/Kuzma may not be a playable frontline in the modern NBA (seriously, whoever plays SF in that lineup is going to get cooked). They’re also banking on getting some guard help in FA with their max money but Kemba could stay in Charlotte and who the hell knows what Kyrie is going to do. There is a better than zero chance that they go into next season with a KCP/Rondo staring back court.

The Rockets fired their entire coaching staff except D’Antoni who they’re apparently holding hostage and are actively shopping anyone not named PJ Tucker or James Harden. They got where they were on the back of Harden having an insane stretch of hero ball but can they do it again while a worse team?

The Jazz are in a unique situation where they have two stars who are hard to build around in their own ways. Gobert is an amazing defender but is offensively challenged. Donovan is an undersized two guard who takes shots like Dame while not being as good a shooter as him. They sorta struggled getting into the playoffs this year and promptly flamed out when they did. They could get better but they also could regress.

The Thunder have real problems. Down the stretch last year, it was ugly. Russ has pretty much turned into late Boston era Rondo with his gratuitous stat hunting getting in the way of his team’s success. Paul George is a phenomenal player. He’s also only one guy. There’s also talk they’re trying to move Steven Adams.

The Spurs (old), Twolves (are KAT and Wiggins really good enough to carry that team?), Mavs (Luka is only one guy, will Zinger even play?, how long before he gets hurt again?, can Carlisle coach in the modern league?) all have serious questions that could send them plummeting out of the playoff race.

Great post. In short, the entire NBA is kind of in shambles right now. There's not a single powerhouse team that's even set to bring back their roster from this previous season (GSW, KD, Klay), Houston (trying to trade everyone), Raptors (Kawhi), Bucks (Middleton, Lopez, Miro, Brogdon), Blazers (huge cap problems, Nurk injury, Aminu), Sixers (Butler, Harris), Celtics (Kyrie).

Nuggets might be the most "set" team right now in terms of actually knowing their quality core is going to be back. Definietly going to be a wild wild west summer where the entire NBA landscape is going to look a lot different.

The Pelicans obviously have traded Anthony Davis and, in doing so, have acquired the #4 pick as a part of the deal. The Pelicans are rumored to be shopping the #4 pick though, as they would like to compete for the Playoffs this year and would like a good player right now rather than a young developing talent.

Do you have interest in the pick or would you rather not add another young talent to this already uber young core?
As for this, not all that interested. I certainly would be interested in moving up to the 15-17 range, taking a look at PJ Washington and Matisse Thybulle, but all the value in the 4-10 range are guards. And basically the guy the Pelicans would want would be Buddy Hield. Seems like a weird step-back after such a positive season with this group.

Matchups matter. I could easily see teams like the Blazers, Jazz, and Thunder all having a hard time holding off teams ready to jump up the board. Kings included.

Meh, Kind of a weak class. I wouldn't want to give up any players that are on my core list, and what's left is players that aren't worth a #4 pick.
Pick 3? I'd be talking, but yeah, pick 4 is where it gets sketchy. Some mocks still have Bol Bol in the teens and I'd take him all day every day over just about everyone else passed Barrett with only a few challengers to that. Even with the injury concerns.

At #4, Darius Garland is my BPA, but he becomes redundant with Fox. So no PGs or SGs for us in the draft. Now we're looking at SFs, PFs, and Cs.
For the #4 pick, it's probably Buddy back to NOP(they'd trade Jrue to another team). Or maybe Bogdan+Giles+Bjelica depending on how much NOP likes Giles.

Here would be my top candidates if we traded for #4
  • SF DeAndre Hunter would be a great fit in case of a Harrison Barnes departure in the future. But, I think the FO wants Barnes here long-term. 21/22 yearold 3&D SF with upside to do more on offense.
  • C Bol Bol, he would be a great offensive fit next to Bagley, but he's got some injury and work ethic concerns. I love a lot about his game. He's a 3pt shooting, ball handling, and perimeter-oriented center. He's a high ceiling player.
  • SF/PF Sekou Doumbouya, combo forward who has good athleticism and hidden potential with his potential 3pt shot and some ball handling ability. He's a very high ceiling player due to his size and skillset. He's extremely young, doesn't turn 19 until late December.
  • C Jaxson Hayes, young raw big with shot blocking ability and good athleticism. Although not a good 3pt shooter, he's a very good FT shooter.

I see the Kings in win-now mode. Not sure if they would take the risk in trading a known commodity like Buddy or Bogdan+more for the players I've listed above. I don't think the Kings should move up to #4. If they want a 1st round pick, I would target later in the lottery for one of these guys, or maybe later in the 1st round for more polished players who could contribute on a high level right now.

I'm all for gathering assets but how long are we supposed to do this? Are we just supposed to punt year after year because the competition might be too steep? Loser talk. We're not in win-now mode yet but it's time to take the next step in the rebuild.

And anyone who thinks the West is stronger this year is nuts. There's two, maybe three locks depending on what the Clippers do. For the first time in what seems like forever, the East will likely be the stronger conference next year.

Rockets are shopping everybody and are in shambles with drama.

The Blazers are still pathetic and missing Nurkic is a lot different for an 82 game gauntlet than a stretch of a few weeks. They could also lose Aminu.

Dubs are currently undead.

The Thunder are capped out and Westbrook is obviously declining.

Jazz might get a capable PG and if they do they're locks, but until FA they're a question mark.

Same with Clippers though swap "capable PG" with "star FA".

And I'll believe Porzingis is healthy when I see it.

Last edited:
The Lakers are as surefire a team as they were last season.
Exactly. I'm LMFAO at all the sudden LAL love from the media and Vegas odds makers even BEFORE today's announced trade.

At first I didn't get how the hell anyone would believe LAL would have the best odds of winning the title next season. But then it occurred to me that Vegas was just covering themselves in case a flock of top FA's decided to go there and/or they were able to make a couple moves like they did today. They simply didn't want to be caught off guard allowing bettors to get great odds before any NBA shattering moves happened.

But now that today's trade went down and LAL pretty much only have 3 players, 2 of which could be injured for an extended time at any time, I just don't get all the love.

I mean, I guess they could still get another all-star, elite player with their remaining cap space. Or perhaps they could trade Kuzma for a better fit. IDK.

But assuming KD, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler, Klay nor any player like them goes there, I just don't believe they will be what many think they will be simply because they've got LBJ and AD.

Maybe Boogie goes there. Or they max out Vučević. They'll probably be good regardless. But championship good? So far, I'm not seeing it.

Not better than Toronto w/ Kawhi. Not better than Milwaukee. Not better than Philly. Not better than GSW if they get healthy late in the season. Probably not better than Houston or Denver or Portland (if those teams stay intact).

I know this is a homer thing to say, but I'm not convinced they'll be better than our KINGS next season. There's a lot of player movement to occur via the draft and FA, but for now -- I'm not drinking that koolaid just yet.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

You forgot the team that could take the biggest nose-dive of all - the Warriors. Potentially the Warriors could be paying two max contracts next year without having the services of either of those players - Durant and Thompson. The Kings barely lost to the Warriors last year with those two guys. If the Kings don't win three out of four from the Warriors next year I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

To the OP, which of our guys would you contemplate moving - that would be perceived as being worth #4 for the Pels? I would not move any of our top 3 for anything (Fox, Bagley, Buddy) so the question seems kind of moot. I don't think Pels would give up #4 for any lesser player than those 3.

You forgot the team that could take the biggest nose-dive of all - the Warriors. Potentially the Warriors could be paying two max contracts next year without having the services of either of those players - Durant and Thompson. The Kings barely lost to the Warriors last year with those two guys. If the Kings don't win three out of four from the Warriors next year I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

You're hoping and making premature assumptions. Number 1. There is no guarantee that Durant is going to pick up his player option. If he leaves, that opens up a roster spot and the Warriors will easily go over the luxury tax to sign another max player. Especially, moving into a new arena and additional revenue coming in from a more affluent SF fan base and marketing. The Dubs can go 100 mil over the luxury tax and still pay it. Number 2: You're assuming Klay is missing the entire season. That guy is tough as nails. I see him back around the All star break.

You're hoping and making premature assumptions. Number 1. There is no guarantee that Durant is going to pick up his player option. If he leaves, that opens up a roster spot and the Warriors will easily go over the luxury tax to sign another max player. Especially, moving into a new arena and additional revenue coming in from a more affluent SF fan base and marketing. The Dubs can go 100 mil over the luxury tax and still pay it. Number 2: You're assuming Klay is missing the entire season. That guy is tough as nails. I see him back around the All star break.
I thought you can't go over the salary cap to sign free agents. Going over that and the luxury tax is for your own free agents. So if they resign klay they won't have any money to sign that max free agent u are mentioning. So they would be capped with no one to replace Durant and klay hurt for part of the year. This is why many are thinking next year is an open year for any contender to get the ring.

I thought you can't go over the salary cap to sign free agents. Going over that and the luxury tax is for your own free agents. So if they resign klay they won't have any money to sign that max free agent u are mentioning. So they would be capped with no one to replace Durant and klay hurt for part of the year. This is why many are thinking next year is an open year for any contender to get the ring.
He doesn't know what he's talking about.

He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Really? More like you’re misinformed. Facts, brother not rhetoric. Straight from. cbssports.com.

Remember, teams over the salary cap, which the Warriors are by a mile, can only pay to re-sign their own players. There are mid-level exceptions and minimum salaries to help teams like the Warriors fill out their roster, but for all intents and purposes, Golden State's only shot at remaining a championship contender is to convince its own free agents to stay put. That's what this whole summer is about.
Here's a breakdown of the Warriors' offseason, with an eye toward what things could look like next season when they open up the $1.4 billion Chase Center in San Francisco.
The Kevin Durant situation
Despite Durant's Achilles tear, which will almost certainly keep him out all of next season, there is every indication that he'll receive the same max contract offers he was in line to get before the injury. Here is what he's eligible to make:
If he stays with Warriors: Five years, $221 million
If he signs elsewhere: Four years, $164 million
The third option is that Durant opts into the last year of his current contract with the Warriors, which would pay him $31.5 million and postpone his free agency until 2020. This is seen as a backup plan in case no teams feel comfortable offering him a long-term deal in the wake of the injury. Again, teams aren't going to be scared off. He's going to get max offers, including, almost assuredly, from the Warriors.

And here’s the rest:

On the flip side, if the Warriors were to lose Durant and only sign Thompson and Green to max deals, their four-year bill in taxes and salary would "drop" to $629 million, per ESPN. Do the math, and that's a billion dollars difference riding on Durant. A billion freaking dollars. For one player. The Warriors' owners paid $450 million for the entire franchise in 2010.
Here's the nitty gritty with all four on max deals:
SEASONSALARYTAXTOTAL
2019-20
$176.2M
$203.5M
$379.7M
2020-21
$180.2M
$169.8M
$350.0M
2021-22
$196.2M
$231.6M
$427.8M
2022-23
$203.2M
$229.0M
$432.0M
Total

$1.59B
Here's what it looks like with Durant elsewhere:
SEASONSALARYTAXTOTAL
2019-20
$139.7M
$19.8M
$159.5M
2020-21
$140.7M
N/A
$140.7M
2021-22
$153.7M
$14.3M
$168M
2022-23
$155.5M
$5.7M
$161.2M
Total
$629.4M

Really? More like you’re misinformed. Facts, brother not rhetoric. Straight from. cbssports.com.

Remember, teams over the salary cap, which the Warriors are by a mile, can only pay to re-sign their own players. There are mid-level exceptions and minimum salaries to help teams like the Warriors fill out their roster, but for all intents and purposes, Golden State's only shot at remaining a championship contender is to convince its own free agents to stay put. That's what this whole summer is about.
Here's a breakdown of the Warriors' offseason, with an eye toward what things could look like next season when they open up the $1.4 billion Chase Center in San Francisco.
The Kevin Durant situation
Despite Durant's Achilles tear, which will almost certainly keep him out all of next season, there is every indication that he'll receive the same max contract offers he was in line to get before the injury. Here is what he's eligible to make:
If he stays with Warriors: Five years, $221 million
If he signs elsewhere: Four years, $164 million
The third option is that Durant opts into the last year of his current contract with the Warriors, which would pay him $31.5 million and postpone his free agency until 2020. This is seen as a backup plan in case no teams feel comfortable offering him a long-term deal in the wake of the injury. Again, teams aren't going to be scared off. He's going to get max offers, including, almost assuredly, from the Warriors.
Lol you incriminated yourself with your own "facts"

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Literally none of what you copied and pasted there addresses the original contention. You claimed:

If (Durant) leaves, that opens up a roster spot and the Warriors will easily go over the luxury tax to sign another max player.
But, of course, teams are not allowed to exceed the salary cap, much less the luxury tax, to sign another team's free agent. The best teams can do to sign another team's free agent is the MLE. Nothing about a Durant max contract potentially costing the Warriors about a billion dollars over four years changes that.

The Dubs can go 100 mil over the luxury tax and still pay it.
You might not understand how the luxury tax works. The tax escalates the further that teams go over the luxury tax limit. If a team were to exceed the luxury tax limit by $100M, their tax bill alone would be either $645M (non-repeater rate) or $745M (repeater rate). So sure, the Warriors could exceed the luxury tax by $100M -- that's $232M in salaries, and $745M in tax for a total of $977M for a year of salaries. That's...totally reasonable. Remind me, what color is the money that grows on the trees where you live, again?

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I'm curious as to who, other than Kuzma, Davis, and Lebron, the Lakers are going to add to their team. They have five committed salaries. Other than the three I just mentioned, they have Isaac Bongo, and the great Moritz Wagner. They'll have somewhere between 23 and 30 mil in capspace to fill out the roster. Lebron is 34 years old, and he'll turn 35 in December. He's already played in 1,198 games, and he's played a lot of minutes in those games, with a very high usage rate. Most players don't make it past a thousand games.

Anthony Davis, god love him has been injury prone throughout his career. He has never played 82 games in a year in his 7 years in the league. Should the Lakers make the playoffs? Everyone seems to think so, but I don't think it's a given. The West is tough, and for them to make it, both players are going to have to play a lot of minutes. And, they're going to need some help. We'll see!

The Thunder have become a one trick pony with Westbrook becoming a worse shooter as his career goes on. He shot 29% from the three last season. Paul George is another player that has been nagged by occasional injuries, but fortunately, other than his broken leg, nothing serious. Not sure where they go from here, but they might try to revamp the roster since they're in salary cap hell. Is Portland really that much better than the Kings, especially if Fox and Bagley take another step forward along with Buddy. I like Portland, but I'm not overwhelmed by their overall talent. So goes Lillard, so goes Portland.

The Warriors are going to find it tough next season without Klay or Durant. If Curry suffers any injuries, they probably don't make the playoffs, and I don't think it's a guarantee with a healthy Curry. Wouldn't bet against him though. After the Raptors won the championship, I wouldn't bet on the Clippers, or any other team acquiring Kawhi. The Spurs are very beatable as are the Mavericks and the T-Wolves.

The Rockets, barring a total breakup of the team, are definitely going to make the playoff's, as are the Nuggets. The Jazz are probably a playoff team, but they don't seem to be built for the playoffs themselves. In short, especially if the Kings can add some additional talent, I think the Kings are definitely contending for a playoff spot..

Exactly. I'm LMFAO at all the sudden LAL love from the media and Vegas odds makers even BEFORE today's announced trade.
Vegas odds on LA are there because they don't have to pay higher, the LA money is almost local and was flooding in at 4:1 before the trade so why sweeten it if dumb dumbs want to bet on a longshot with poor odds? Plus it covered them in the event they suddenly actually do become contenders. Frankly I am not sold that they aren't a long way off. And even if they get one or two deep runs on this duo the picks they will convey in the middle of the next decade to NO are going to get people fired.