Trade Bagley?

Should we trade Bagley? He plays like he doesn't want to be here. No fire --doesn't go for rebounds. I think he has much more talent than he is showing. May be a change of scenery would be beneficial to all. No longer would he need to be compared to Luca.

I think it is ok to trade Bagley at his all time low. He is who we see on the floor. He is not better now than he was 3 years ago. He is a malcontent and his dad is a distraction.

I am sure we will look back in 2-3 years and say "gosh look at Bagley balling out for some other team" but I don't care. Fear of that scenario can't paralyze us now

Bagley is the Great Enigma. The talent is there, but how to bring it out in him is the big question.
Only a few players at this level get away with being poor defenders. He leaves his feet all the time like a high school player.

Get him out of the starting lineup.
Bench him. Let him watch the game. Let him earn his mins.

Yesterday Woodard had 6 rebounds in less than 5 mins and Metu had 7 pts in less than 5 mins. There are options.

Again, Metu has better hands, fights for position, passes the ball, and spreads the floor with his 3 pt shot. Give him Bagleys mins for a few games, and take it from there.

Get him out of the starting lineup.
Bench him. Let him watch the game. Let him earn his mins.

Yesterday Woodard had 6 rebounds in less than 5 mins and Metu had 7 pts in less than 5 mins. There are options.

Again, Metu has better hands, fights for position, passes the ball, and spreads the floor with his 3 pt shot. Give him Bagleys mins for a few games, and take it from there.
Oh man I’m on board but if we bench him all hell will break lose

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Have to keep throwing him out there and hoping for the best. Sink or swim mode. It’s win win win win. Benching him now is only bad.

Options;

1: He’s actually awful; tank mode, we lose a lot, we know it’s time to cut the rope, we get a better pick.

2: He improves enough to rehab his trade stock; trade for something not useless.

3: He improves enough to be useful to the team.

4: He turns into the star he was drafted to be.

Last edited:
At 9mil this year and 11mil next year, who is going to pay that when you can get much better production for a lot less money?
Agreed, net negative contract, but it does have control for more time to a willing investor.

But I don't care any more.

Don't care if he goes, don't care if we got a twinkie for him and he turns into an All Star elsewhere, don't care if he is a bust.

Over it....pshhhh

Yes, but not now. After firing Walton and hopefully he builds a little value. Can’t go for it when he’s at his all-time lowest.
The new coach ain’t gonna magically give him hand, learn how to set a pick, go right, and other prioduct stuff on the floor

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Have to keep throwing him out there and hoping for the best. Sink or swim mode. It’s win win win win. Benching him now is only bad.

Options;

1: He’s actually awful; tank mode, we lose a lot, we know it’s time to cut the rope, we get a better pick.

2: He improves enough to rehab his trade stock; trade for something not useless.

Right. It's like the Buddy situation. Either you start him/play him enough to rehab some semblance of value or you you start him/play him enough for him to become an asset to your team for the future but hiding him or selling low solves absolutely nothing and could backfire horribly.

Poor Marv. As a 21 year-old, it must be extremely tough to suffer the indignity of being paid multi-millions of dollars to play basketball, not to mention having to EARN your minutes. It’s beneath him, really. I know it’s hard for his dad to cope too. Life is cruel.

Options;

Perfectly stated. The team gains NOTHING by sitting him.

I think there is still an opportunity for MB III to develop into a player with more refined skills who can perform consistently. While that timeframe could be later than sooner, it’s up to Marvin himself to make that happen by working his ass off and shedding negative influences like that buffoon he has for a dad. It shouldn’t matter what team that you play for or what situation you’re in, especially as a young pro athlete. Give it your all, continuously strive for improvement, and put the team first. Everything else will take care of itself in time.

Unless it's part of a package deal I don't see what you could even get for Bagley right now. He's a big man who has a usage percentage above 25% but who is shooting under 36% from the field and who is a sieve on defense that doesn't add rim protection.

At this point I think you ride it out and see if he can turn things around and become more valuable by year's end. My concern is that both he and his dad seem to lack a level of self awareness so I'm not sure if he'll realize how much work he actually needs to put it to become the player he already believes he is or that his dad thinks he be if only he were traded to a different team.

That's where OP's Giannis comparison misses the mark by a mile. Physically there may be some similarities, but from day 1 Antetokounmpo was incredibly hungry and completely focused on maxing out his potential. Bagley seems to think he just needs minutes to be great.

This is just my view from the outside looking in, but unless things change drastically I think Marvin's career path may look a lot more like Willie Cauley-Stein's.

The Kings have a lot invested in Bagley. The team is not too likely to make the playoffs. Playing Bagley is the right thing to do. It would be very interesting to see him improve his attitude and at least give the impression of working hard. His crummy defense may be what ultimately causes him to fade into obscurity.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The Kings have a lot invested in Bagley. The team is not too likely to make the playoffs. Playing Bagley is the right thing to do. It would be very interesting to see him improve his attitude and at least give the impression of working hard. His crummy defense may be what ultimately causes him to fade into obscurity.
Crummy defense is being kind. He doesn’t even appear to try 90% of the time. It’s like bad later years WCS out there. It’s that bad.

Bleacher report floated (note: not reported, just speculating like we all do here) a Bagley for Markannen deal. Kings would lose a year of cost control, as he’s heading into RFA next offseason, but at least Markannen has a clearer fit as a stretch big. Not sure why the Bulls would do it, unless they really want to buy low on a hometown guy.

Edit: not sure why I thought he was from Chicago, I think he’s from Arizona.

Last edited:
Bleacher report floated (note: not reported, just speculating like we all do here) a Bagley for Markannen deal. Kings would lose a year of cost control, as he’s heading into RFA next offseason, but at least Markannen has a clearer fit as a stretch big. Not sure why the Bulls would do it, unless they really want to buy low on a hometown guy.
There'd be some irony in the Bulls recreating that Duke frontcourt of Carter Jr and Bagley that supposedly forced Coach K to have to move to a zone defense.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The only way to build his trade value is not to play him :p
Lmao, then refer to option 1 in my following post. Tank commander Bagley, at our services!

For the record; I’m a well-known anti-Bagley guy. Don’t love his game; and I think it would be best for all parties to separate.

That said, I don’t think he is *THIS* bad of a player. He’s going to trend up before too long. Just a matter of how up he goes...

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

Edit: not sure why I thought he was from Chicago, I think he’s from Arizona.
No thanks on Markannen. I want nothing to do with the Bulls drafts of the recent years. Not a fan.

I understand a lot of the criticism of Bagley’s game right now but I don’t get the narrative that he doesn’t put in the work. I heard he was a hard worker.
I feel like if he was putting in work he would've made some improvements in his game over the years. Passing, defense, a consistent 10 footer. He has not developed any additional skills since day 1 of being drafted. If he is actually putting in work then it's going to the wrong things.

How about Siakam he’s not playing like a top option without kawhi but he wouldn’t be that here either. He’s still a 20/7/3 guy with decent defense at 26 I’d offer Bagley and this years 1st top 5 protected for him