Top 3 Key Questions for the coming year

Well now that we have the worthless Kings media day out of the way, what questions do you have about the Kings? Here are mine for which hope we have answers:

1) can Sabonis hit a 3? I heard he was working on his 3 point shooting. A Sabonis pick and pop with Fox would be hard to defend. Career 3 point and FT% would indicate no but we shall see…..

2) Can Fox play defense? Fox spent to off season working on his shooting. But if the Kings are going to win he needs to be Gary Payton and no Russell Westbrook. Fox doesn’t come close to justifying his contract. If he becomes a lockdown guard defender he could change that narrative.

3) can anyone defend the 3? Murray and Barnes are both best at the 4. Huerter is not a lock down defender. Finding anyone who can be a plus defender at the 3 will be key.

What are yours?

Last edited:
1. Can Fox become a decent defender? He doesn’t need to be The Glove, but he needs to be a whole lot better than he has been so far.
2. Can Murray become the player we think we got after watching his summer league play? If he’s even close to (being) that efficient, he will be a big contributor.
3. Can Domas find some arc for his shot? If so, he has a chance of becoming the next Kings all-star.

Off the top of my head:

1. Who we gonna put a beating on first?

2. How we gonna respond to a loss? Any glimmer offered by the Walton years was promptly followed by 8 or 9 losses in a row. Please no more.

3. Who, of our collection of extra bodies, will show they are more than just an extra body? I'm thinking the Metu, Queta, Merrill, Moneke tier of guys.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm very curious how Brown is going to use Holmes. And of course the defense. The heat is going to be on the coaching staff and players to defend much better. Mitchell can't do it all.

Here are my sorta keys for the season to exceed expectations.

1.) Can fox defend at slightly to above average for the majority of the season? We know he can do it for spurts, but he will have to decide that it is his main focus. If he plays 2-3 less mpg to get the rest he needs, that's fine. We have plenty of depth.

2.) Keegan Murray. Can he be a difference maker as a rookie? I think at worst, he'll be a neutral VORP player as a rookie, which is really good. But if he can be a + of offense and defense it changes the entire landscape of this team. I know people try to break down his PPG, RPG, STOCKS etc. But if he somehow can put up 20+ ppg on an efficient TSP% it's a game changer.

3.) Mike Brown + staff. Can they cobble together an average defense and/or can we make moves that add defenders during the season? This is the great unknown, how much does scheme and accountability and motivation change what a group can do together?

This team is loaded with young veterans, but most of them are veterans. We only have a couple of truly young players, and they aren't that young in age. (Murray and Davion). The rest are 24-30 with 4-9 years in the league. I think there is a good balance and some building blocks to move the needle in the right direction. As of right now, I don't think in our top 9 players we will be playing a non-NBA player.

Questions:

1 - can any King play like a top 20 NBA player?

2 - will this team be soft and wilt in pressure situations, or will they play tough?

3 - will they play with intensity to start every game?

1. How many empty seats will there be on opening night?
2. Who will Wilcox trade first at the deadline?
3. Will the annual tankathon start before or after the new year?

1. Can the Kings break the top-20 team rankings defensively (27th in defensive efficiency last year)?
  2. Can they consistently move the ball offensively (touches across the board)?
  3. Can they rank in the top half of the league in 3-pt shooting % (24th last year)?

Last edited:
1. Kings top 8 is the most talented we've been in 16 years. Can Brown maximize their talent level year 1?
2. Kings added 2 elite and 1 who should be elite (Keegan) 3pt shooters, but we're near the bottom of the league in 3pT FGA. Can we start launching to space the floor for Fox/Sabonis?
3. While I think the Kings offensive upside is like Top 7-ish, McNair basically tripled down on Brown being a defensive genius for how poor most of this group is on defense. Can Brown get us to top 18-22 defensively?

1) is Fox “that dude” as the kids say
2) can Mike Brown actually change the culture?
3) can Keegan be a wing? He plays and looks like a four but if he shows us more (and who are we to doubt him) our trajectory really changes.

1. Will there be a consistent rotation?

Will the coaching staff decide on a minutes distribution early on and stick to it or will the deck be shuffled every 3rd game? We have not had consistency from a lineup perspective and are snake-biten.

2. Will the key players show consistency this year?

With the player development meetings and keeping everyone accountable talk yield any consistency or will players suck half the year before they put up all star numbers? Looking at you Fox.

3. Which player is going to lead this team defensively?

Who will show the grit and lay it all out on the defensive end? Who will step-up and guard the other teams best wing?

1. Can Fox stay healthy?
2. Can Fox commit to defending
3. Can the Kings cobble a good "TEAM" defense.
4. What will this team's identity be, soft and sad or tough, fun and inspiring

I see joy when I watch mike brown at work. Interesting peak behind the curtain we have gotten (his personality is not anything like I was expecting). He genuinely seems happy to be on the job. Every previous coach i felt was doing it just to stay in the league but never really felt like they wanted to change the team. Im hoping he imprints that tough, fun and inspiring demeanor on the team. I think they could very well be the 2022 version of the "We Believe" Warriors...we are just looking for a cap'n Jack and some grit.

:p:p:p

In all seriousness...

1. Can we take that next step?
2. How good of a team can we be with this coaching staff?
3. Who is ready to step up their level of play the most?

1. Can Fox play more than half of the season? This is the reason I would have rather traded Fox than Hali. Fox is useless to us if he only plays half of a season.
2. Can Mitchell progress knowing he's going to be a bench player until Fox gets hurt (which will most likely happen)?
3. Can Murray and Sabonis play together?
4. Will the Kings learn to defend?

If and when Fox goes down to injury can we finally close the door on Fox and trade him or release him outright? Will Fox PLEASE work on his 3pt shot, or stop taking so many? He's not improving at all, and frankly I think he's regressed with his outside shot. He's a worse 3pt shooter than Rubio is.

1) Will Keegan be the third option the Kings need?

2) Will Barnes finish the season as a King?

3) Will Holmes finish the season as a contributing member of the Kings or on another team?

I will say, some of these are so negative I'm surprised you are even here and not following some other team.

If there is no time for optimism in your life as a Kings fan then why do you torture yourselves so much?

It is a team sport. Success does not depend on a few new skills by two players.

1. Team defense. Everyone has to understand and execute the scheme.
2. Rebounding. It is a sport for grown men.
3. Moving without the ball on offense. The Kings like to stand around.

1. How many empty seats will there be on opening night?
2. Who will Wilcox trade first at the deadline?
3. Will the annual tankathon start before or after the new year?
1. Game is almost sold out and probably will be Standing room only on game day.

2. Wilcox? No.

3. It won't. Nancy.

Really tho, why are you here? This is the single most negative, Kings hating post I have seen this off-season. If you hate this team and think so low of it then why do you spend time here? Is your life that bleak?

Even Randy Quaid wasn't this miserable as an Indians fan...and I really don't see you having his comeback if things actually go well.

Last edited:

2. Wilcox? No.

3. It won't. Nancy.

Really tho, why are you here? This is the single most negative, Kings hating post I have seen this off-season. If you hate this team and think so low of it then why do you spend time here? Is your life that bleak?

Even Randy Quaid wasn't this miserable as an Indians fan...and I really don't see you having his comeback if things actually go well.
Lolzzzz.

2. Wilcox? No.

3. It won't. Nancy.

Don't worry, he'll actually pay up this time when he loses this bet at the deadline.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I believe that the non-bet in question concerns Monte not surviving the season and getting whacked before the trade deadline.