The World Cup Thread! [please use spoiler tags!!!]

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
My wife won't let me watch in the morning because of the Vuvuzela's. Uggh. I didn't really mind them, I guess it has infuriated more than enough people that they are actually considering banning them.

PH try to spoiler results during the day for those tivoing the games thanks! :)

Though I'm breaking down and giving ESPN3 a shot.

My wife won't let me watch in the morning because of the Vuvuzela's. Uggh. I didn't really mind them, I guess it has infuriated more than enough people that they are actually considering banning them.

PH try to spoiler results during the day for those tivoing the games thanks! :)

Though I'm breaking down and giving ESPN3 a shot.

Apparently, FIFA just announced they will not ban them at least for this World Cup. It was just mentioned during pre-lim of Brasil-N.Korea that a filter has been installed in broadcast booth to hopefully mute some of the V-Zee buzz.

I will try to post results/observations as I get them for those unable to watch live - hopefully others will too:)

The Vuvuzelas are annoying, but I dont think they bother me as much as they bother other people. I can deffinetly tolerate them.

I was happy to see Drogba play today. Ivory Coast is my third team in this tournament. USA, Greece, Then Ivory Coast. Unfortunetly, I'll be lucky if one of them makes it out of the group stage.

After 45 mins of Brasil-DPRK I'm in shock. The FIFA 105th ranked team is not intimidated one bit in this match against world ranked #1. However, maybe Brasil has underestimated them. North Korea may be an enigma as a team, as a country, but they've definitely got Brasil's attention now. It will be interesting to see if one team can get upperhand in second half of this nil-nil, not at all boring stalemate so far.

On a side note, noise from Vuvuzelas seems to have been tamped down a bit by the filters just installed.

Brasil finally scores at 55 min mark to go up 1-0. Now seems much looser and more into their free flow Samba dance all across the field. North Korea still tenacious but being out shot on goal 17-6.

Brasil now well on the way to victory up 2-0 with strike at 71 min.

Ji Yun Nam scores for NorthKorea! Ji-wiz! Only couple mins remain in this good match now at 2-1. Final score: Brasil 2 North Korea 1

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really mind the Vuvuzelas as long as they are only on the screen. Try being surrounded by the bloody things! Since I'm living across the street from a huge bar where all games are screened, I hear them in my room more or less all day. It's hell!

Also, I found the first half of Portugal - Côte d'Ivoire to be rather entertaining, especially when they started hacking at each other. Japan - Cameroon and one other game that was so forgettable, I already forgot it, were far worse.

Argentina 4 South Korea 1

Glad I got up early for this one. Argentina is really-really good - no make that REALLY GREAT. Real Madrid's Gonzalo Higuain gets the hat-trick. Superstar Messi unbelievable in setting most of it up for this very deep team. Going into this World Cup I thought the Argentinian's were one of 3-4 best teams in tourney - now I'm completely convinced. South Korea fought gamely and after 2-0 win over Greece no one expected them to be a push over in this match - they weren't. Argentina, a clear threat to win it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never! :D Seriously, if Germany plays like they did against the Aussies -who, if I'm quite honest, were pretty terrible- then we'll remain undefeated in the group

I told you we're going to beat you guys!:D
I expected Germany to attack in the second half, because, you're obviously one of the main contenders in Africa, but our goalkeeper brought us this victory.
Show must go on! ;)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
WTF? Spoilers? This isn't Lost or 24 being discussed: since when is it considered bad etiquette to "spoiler" a live sporting event? Who the **** is watching the World Cup on tape delay?

I suppose, next season, you'll be asking for spoiler tags in the game threads? :confused:

What I would suggest instead of spoiler tags, is if you haven't watched a match yet, then don't come into and read a thread discussing the matches. Just come to this thread after you've watched the match, folks. You are the only person that knows when reading this thread won't spoil things for you. Pretty simple.

Instead of having the thread title instruct people to use spoiler tags, change it to read "spoiler alert."

Wow- the ups and downs of soccer! Somehow I am supposed to go work now. My heart is still pounding.

How can you not come away from this impressed with the US heart? No one comes from two goals down in a World Cup match to earn a result. Seriously, this is like the Kings coming back from a 20 point halftime deficit to win a playoff game. And we should have won. Of all the bad calls I have seen throughout the years in all sports, the decision to disallow the game winning goal ranks among the worst. Horrific call. Clearly no offsides, and clearly no foul (at worst it was a foul on Slovenia). I was watching the postgame show on Univision after the game, and even the Mexican commentators were talking about how we got jobbed, and Mexican soccer commentators hate the US team (it is like a Laker fan admitting, "yeah the Kings got hosed by the ref and should have won the game").

Oh well, such is sports. The tie at least keeps us alive. A loss (and it certainly looked like one was coming) would have been the end. We certainly relish the underdog role though.

I was so happy to see Donovan answer his critics. His goal was clinical. And Bradley- what a shot!

Lets go beat Algeria and move on to the knockout rounds!

Last edited:
And then the USA's third goal is disallowed for no apparent reason. It was a good comeback by the USA, and the Charlie Brown Sweaters were lucky to get away with a tie.
Screw the spoiler tags.......people should just not open the thread. I can't stand it when people can't talk about a game because they have it Tivo'd and don't want to know the outcome.....tough crap.

That was a complete and total screw job on that goal(not to mention numerous other calls) and the US has a right to be pissed. Granted they played like Dogs in the 1st half but to have a goal taken off the board is just unconscionable.

No one said you can't talk about the game. We just asked that you put the results in spoiler tags. Some of the games are being played at 4 in the morning on the west coast, and some people want to actually watch them without knowing the results.

It's one button to push, out of courtesy. I don't understand why it's such a big deal. Just spoiler your post if you're posting results of a game.

Spoiler tags may be simple to use, but it takes zero effort to just not read the thread until you've watched the game. Posters don't know when everyone will have finally watched the match, but each individual certainly knows whether they have or not.

Yeah, I don't understand why you'd be reading the thread if you haven't watched the game. If you're at work... get off KingsFans, get your **** done and go home and watch the game!!!

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
There's three games a day and this is a generic thread for the entire event. Would it be preferred to have individual game threads? I doubt it. So why not be courteous? Just for the day of the event?

Spoiler tags may be simple to use, but it takes zero effort to just not read the thread until you've watched the game. Posters don't know when everyone will have finally watched the match, but each individual certainly knows whether they have or not.
You nailed it. It's a simple issue to use a spoiler tag. Why not just use them? This is such a small thing.

It's that easy.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I will drop it after this but I just wanted to add that we used the spoilers in 06 without complaining, we do it for the Olympics, etc. I think the advice to not click the thread if you haven't watched actually is far more applicable to the episodic tv shows yet no complaints there.

I don't think it would be uncommon for someone to want to discuss the US game they watched in the morning or on their break while they tivo the England match this afternoon and not want to have those results spoiled until they can watch? A same-day spoiler period seems a reasonable compromise without resorting to individual game threads.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I HATE getting up and hearing the results of a game I thought would be on later in the day!

Now, having said that, what effect does the US getting another tie have on our moving to the next round? I just do not get the idea of a tie being acceptable. If you aren't going to win - or lose - why play? Aren't there things like sudden death kicks or something?

Okay, I'm done...

As far as the spoiler issue goes, the spoiler tags were created so that people who wanted to discuss something in real time wouldn't spoil the event for those who hadn't yet watched. Things like final episodes of popular TV shows, especially where those on the East Coast see them three hours before the West Coast, tennis matches from Wimbledon or France, various international competitions of other sports, etc. can be discussed without ruining it for another board member. And personally, I agree with pdxKingsfan. A 24-delay on these things doesn't seem unreasonable.

:)

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
not really, I mean NBA wouldn't exist if that was the case. Thinks like this happen especially from the referees that comne from "non soccer" nations
Isn't that the problem? The NBA at least puts their experienced refs in the big games, they don't decide its time to give that nice guy in the NBDL a chance in game 7 of the finals. This is soccer's biggest stage, why do they quota in inexperienced refs? Get the best in the biz, and leave it at that. Let the refs from non-soccer nations hang out with the kids holding the flags at the start of the game and then go ref their game in the parking lot.

Oh and the Mali ref was rumored to be pelted by garbage from the stands and injured, so even if its a nice gesture, it isn't exactly good for them to go and screw up a game and have to deal with the wrath of a bunch of rowdy drunken fans many of whom probably have tickets out of the country in a few days.