The World Cup Thread! [please use spoiler tags!!!]

I HATE getting up and hearing the results of a game I thought would be on later in the day!

Now, having said that, what effect does the US getting another tie have on our moving to the next round? I just do not get the idea of a tie being acceptable. If you aren't going to win - or lose - why play? Aren't there things like sudden death kicks or something?

Okay, I'm done...

Ties are definitely not acceptable, but given the circumstances, I think most fans will take a tie here. Coming into the game, we viewed it as "should win" and at worst case, "must tie."

Because you get 1 point for a tie, and 3 points for a win, losing to Slovenia would have meant elimination. They would have had 6 points, we would have had 1, and our only chance of advancing would have required an England loss to Algeria or Slovenia (unlikely, especially since Slovenia would have nothing to play for in its final game). The tie gives us 2 points, and Slovenia 4. If England wins today, they also have 4, but since England and Slovenia still have to play each other, the winner of that game goes to 7, and the loser stays at 4. If we beat Algeria, we move to 5, and into second place. Even if Slovenia and England tie, and we all end up with 5 points, we would win almost every conceivable tiebreaker. So, while winning would have made things much easier, a tie was absolutely essential, and still puts us in good shape to advance (if we beat Algeria).

That said- even the chances of a tie were on life support. Coming into the game, I think very few thought a tie was acceptable, but down 2-0 at the half, a tie should be considered a huge actual and moral victory. Seriously, 2-0 down at the World Cup is a huge obstacle- teams just don't come back from that kind of deficit (we were only the 4th team since the 1994 world cup to come back from 2-0 at the half to get any result at all). The fact that we should have won (the disallowed game winner was a horrific call) makes it that much more unbelievable.

It is too bad you missed the game. This team showed a ton of moxy and character. We didn't play beautiful soccer (even in the second half), but we showed that no one will play with more heart, enthusiasm, and athleticism than us. If you get a chance to watch the replay, you should do it. Even if the game won't give you a great appreciation for soccer itself, I have a hard time believing that you will find it hard to root for this team after watching the second half. Our enthusiasm, love, and underdog spirit just comes through the TV.

That said, we really need to learn how to play like a favorite. Should never have been down 2-0 to Slovenia. But, at least we can revel in the result rather than being knocked out...

piksi

Hall of Famer
Isn't that the problem? The NBA at least puts their experienced refs in the big games, they don't decide its time to give that nice guy in the NBDL a chance in game 7 of the finals. This is soccer's biggest stage, why do they quota in inexperienced refs? Get the best in the biz, and leave it at that. Let the refs from non-soccer nations hang out with the kids holding the flags at the start of the game and then go ref their game in the parking lot.

Oh and the Mali ref was rumored to be pelted by garbage from the stands and injured, so even if its a nice gesture, it isn't exactly good for them to go and screw up a game and have to deal with the wrath of a bunch of rowdy drunken fans many of whom probably have tickets out of the country in a few days.

that really helped us in 2002:rolleyes:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
that really helped us in 2002:rolleyes:
We got screwed no doubt but it got the NBA the game 7 they wanted. I think we're all in general agreement that it wasn't simply incompetence that caused that result. There is a difference even if the results are similar.

how about that - the ref saved you one point you didn' deserve
Sure, the goal was legit. But the point was deserved though. Who knows what the final result would have been if Dampsey had gotten the red card for that elbow in the starting minutes. He was never going at the ball.

But I do hope USA goes trough. The goal by Donovan was amazing.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Sure, the goal was legit. But the point was deserved though. Who knows what the final result would have been if Dampsey had gotten the red card for that elbow in the starting minutes. He was never going at the ball.

But I do hope USA goes trough. The goal by Donovan was amazing.
Well hey, as long as we're awarding red cards that didn't happen we may as well give two to the Slovenians that took out Altidore to deny obvious goal scoring opportunities. ;)

I'm rewatching the 2nd half now since I watched the first half at home then drove quickly to the office and watched the second on stream. That goal by Donovan should have been the discussion of the game instead it's the ref.

Anyhow, here's to Slovenia taking England out.

not really, I mean NBA wouldn't exist if that was the case. Thinks like this happen especially from the referees that comne from "non soccer" nations
Make no mistake about it, the poor officiating in the NBA has done nothing to help the sport.

That said, its been awhile since I have seen such an inexplicable call. That call was on par if not worse then the classic Bibby's head fouling Kobe's elbow.

To me, this is one of the weirdest World cups so far. Too many red cards, penalties, bad calls... I hope to see some real soccer tonight when Brazil and Ivory Coast are playing.

Italy 1 - 1 New Zealand
I told you so from the very beginning. Putrid performances like this and the first game happen when you leave at home the two most talented players of the country.

So what's different than every other year? :)
Don't know... have this impression that we didn't talk about refs and calls so much on previous championships. Maybe I just have short memory. :)
But the press is also saying that we didn't see too much of a good soccer like we used to see on a WC, so.. there is something I guess.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I think the reds and penalties are always an issue, remember US-Italy? Obviously there have been worse blown calls, like the Hand of God. It will always be an issue so long as they put quotas on the nationalities of the refs rather than just going and getting the best refs they can find.

So is there an AI mashup for Team France yet? It's funny what passes for scandal in the international world. Obviously its newsworthy but the talking heads were carrying on like they had murdered someone.

Now, having said that, what effect does the US getting another tie have on our moving to the next round?
If USA beats Algeria, they move on to the next round (where there are no ties ;)).

If they tie Algeria, then they can still move on if England loses. If both the U.S. and England tie, then they both will have tied all their matches and have three points in their group. The team with the most total goals would move on. Right now USA has 3 goals and England has 1, so if both teams tie, England will have to score three goals more in their match than the USA does in theirs. (If the two teams both have the same number of group points and goals scored, then they flip a coin or something like that.)

And I actually like ties in group play. When teams play roughly equally, I like that they are not penalized so much as they could be if every game had to end with a winner and loser. This round is all about who gets to move on to the championship round, and so the less flukishness in the outcomes the better. When the championship round begins then it should be all about playing until there's a winner.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Watched my first match yesterday, and the horns didn't bother me at all.
Apparently they filtered it some but I could still here them just fine.

I did however have the game on this morning and slept through the whole thing, vuvuzelas
7 goals
and all.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
And I actually like ties in group play. When teams play roughly equally, I like that they are not penalized so much as they could be if every game had to end with a winner and loser. This round is all about who gets to move on to the championship round, and so the less flukishness in the outcomes the better. When the championship round begins then it should be all about playing until there's a winner.
I have no problem with ties either (I'm sure I've vented more than once about hockey shootouts here too). They've already compensated for teams that just played to tie by making wins worth more. Prior to 1998 a win was 2 points so a tie was almost as good - you tie all three games and you're probably through, especially since they had 6 groups instead of 8 and took the 4 best 3rd place teams. Now you need a win in at least one match to get through except in a few rare scenarios.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don't know what the hell I was thinking but I scheduled a video conference test with Scotland at 8am. I originally was thinking I'd stay home since I have to work Saturday but that killed that. So now my best bet is to bike in to work at 6am, go to the student activity center and watch the first half, do my test and then watch online.

Too bad the Scots probably don't root for England.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
America eFf Yeah!
I thought the first goal was offsides before watching the replays so I wasn't that bothered by it until about the 85th minute when I started thinking we really could be out of the elimination rounds. Now all is right in the world and I didn't wake up at 5am for nothing.

Getting up at 6:30 was so worth watching this game. My heart was pounding so heart in the last 20 minutes and someone we pulled it off. Being a clutch team is good and everything but we really need to find a way to score during the first 90 minutes...

Australian goalkeeper is amazing so far... Hopefully, he won't be that good in the second half :)

Serbia wants to play against
USA
in next round! :)

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don't care who the USA plays in the next round as long but strongly prefer it not to be Germany who are my #2 fave, so I'm pulling for Germany and Australia. I'd like to get on the right side of Ghana if possible.