The Sweet Science

SLAB

Hall of Famer
No one would ever confuse that with good boxing, but it wasn’t the trainwreck that it could have been.

Tyson looked just about as good as a 50+ year old is going to look while Jones was more than happy to hug the night away.

this Navarette kid is a quality boxer. fantastic stamina too
Diaz was amazing in the fight as well but those damn Navarette uppercuts from the next country are insane I have never seen anyone uppercut with such a ridiculously poor technique but man its amazing how he makes it work.

Navarette will have big problems when his body grows and has to move up in division he won't have the advantages he has now the guy is the most exciting/active champion in boxing today. His fight against Dogbe to win the title was another epic fight.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Diaz was amazing in the fight as well but those damn Navarette uppercuts from the next country are insane I have never seen anyone uppercut with such a ridiculously poor technique but man its amazing how he makes it work.

Navarette will have big problems when his body grows and has to move up in division he won't have the advantages he has now the guy is the most exciting/active champion in boxing today. His fight against Dogbe to win the title was another epic fight.
there have been fighters in the past with unorthodox methods of boxing such as Roy Jones and always keeping his hands down and then annihilating opponents in quick bursts. I'm looking forward to the return of Lomachenko and his bout against the Japanese Boxer Nakatani.

there have been fighters in the past with unorthodox methods of boxing such as Roy Jones and always keeping his hands down and then annihilating opponents in quick bursts. I'm looking forward to the return of Lomachenko and his bout against the Japanese Boxer Nakatani.
Yeah I agree but Jones could do it because he was a freak athlete (and on some serious juice imo) , Navarrate is a freak in terms of cardio but his punches are not even that fast most his opponents have faster hands and he still lands that uppercut.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Yeah I agree but Jones could do it because he was a freak athlete (and on some serious juice imo) , Navarrate is a freak in terms of cardio but his punches are not even that fast most his opponents have faster hands and he still lands that uppercut.
do you think its the long arms?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Yes but it's just something instinctive as well there's a lot of guys with long arms but I have never seen anyone land uppercuts like him, I can't put my finger on it which is way I'm assuming it's something natural which cannot be taught.
I think the instincts were taught at a young age and hence we see the product now

Fight was pretty boring til the KO. Kinda like a kings game. Hung with him for about half way then jake Paul brought the 3rd quarter on him.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Fight was pretty boring til the KO. Kinda like a kings game. Hung with him for about half way then jake Paul brought the 3rd quarter on him.
Woodley certainly didn’t expect to eat that KO, but dude threw that fight. Jake was rattled after that elbow made him bleed in the 3rd, and Tyron just decided it was time to stop fighting after a few easy shots.

Just like last time too, had a chance to pressure when Jake got rattled and conveniently quit fighting. No one’s ever confusing Woodley with being a good stand-up fighter but his instincts aren’t *THAT* bad.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
so is Jake Paul actually good? Or is he just cleaning non-boxers?
He’s capable enough not to be embarrassed at this point. I don’t think he’ll ever get Nate Robinson’d like a lot of people hope. A legit boxer who’s not in the business of throwing will still beat Jim handily and easily though.

Like if he decides to go through with the Tommy Fury fight, I don’t think he has a snowballs chance.

Last edited:
Woodley has always been like this. He'll look like a world beater and then just start fighting tentatively for no good reason. He looked like he had Paul figured out and then just proceeded to trade overhand rights followed by hugging with Paul for the next few rounds instead of using the combos that found him success.

No idea why he dropped his left hand. He had his defense up as Paul swung and then randomly dropped his left hand right before the punch landed. Looked like it was just a brain fart on his part. Albeit an embarrassing one.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
this thread has been quiet for too long. I don't know how many on this board follow Boxing other than @upinsmoke but Joshua is fighting on the 20th this month. Other than that, any other high profile fights for the remainder of this year?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The highest profile one just got cancelled because Rahman Jr couldn’t be bothered to make weight.

not serious (about the highest profile)