The Sweet Science

Not sure if there's a boxing thread but tomorrow is Kovalev-Ward II !!!

I'm also a huge boxing fan and watch tons of fights so I'll keep this updated as best I can.

Guillermo "The Jackal" Rigondeaux, one of the most skilled fighters in the world is on the undercard too. Should be quite the show.

Kovalev and his camp are quite bitter and IMO they've got good reason - I thought he won the first fight (It was close though).

Actually there hasn't been a post in that one since 2015... I'ma let it rest, dunno what kind of fanbase there is for this stuff but I'ma do my best to keep this updated unless it's just me talking to myself.

The Rigondeaux fight just ended under some bizarre circumstances.. Honestly it probably should've been a no-contest. However, Rigo was gonna wash him in short order so I'm not too mad with the decision. Ultimately they were both throwing after the bell, I do think that was a flop.

Now for the main event.

Andre Ward with a decisive victory and knockout in the 8th. He folded him and beat the fight out of him with body shots. Kovalev was gassed early. Great fight.

:: shrugs ::

I never said it was active.
Oh well. This one will gain some steam. Boxing has been great the last few years, so many up and coming stars. Chocolatito vs Rungvisai II will be quite the spectacle.

and lets not forget the biggest UFC fight in history is about to take place in a Boxing ring.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh well. This one will gain some steam. Boxing has been great the last few years, so many up and coming stars. Chocolatito vs Rungvisai II will be quite the spectacle.

and lets not forget the biggest UFC fight in history is about to take place in a Boxing ring.
No offense, but the fact the last boxing thread died two years ago should probably tell you how much interest there is around here. ;)

No offense, but the fact the last boxing thread died two years ago should probably tell you how much interest there is around here. ;)
I think there will be interest in Mayweather's quest for 50-0. He's gonna make $400MM in about a half an hour, fighting someone who'd get demolished by lesser 147lbers. McGreggor who was screaming about 60 grand in the octagon a few years back will make 20x his career earnings in exchange for looking foolish in the ring. It should be quite a demonstration.

Boxing is in the midst of a big comeback, Thurman-Garcia peaked at over 5MM viewers the highest rating on Network TV since 1998. There was the first heavyweight title fight on Primetime TV not too long ago announced by Marv Albert.

I'll be here if anyone wants to discuss past or present fights. Truth is there's easy $$$ to be made for any prospective bettor.

Last edited:
Check out Ryan Garcia 21 years old with B2B 1st rounders. Shades of sugar Ray Robinson and Oscar DLH with this kid he has superstar writing all over him.

The amount of talent coming out currently from the former Soviet Union countries (Kazakhstan/Uzbekistan/Chechnya/Ukraine and others) has been quiet absurd. Every fight card it seems a new one pops up and is a pure beast. I'm not sure boxing has ever been this global and full of talent since most people didn't even know most these countries existed let alone competed in boxing/MMA.

Check out Ryan Garcia 21 years old with B2B 1st rounders. Shades of sugar Ray Robinson and Oscar DLH with this kid he has superstar writing all over him.
That was a nice left hook. They film studied Fonseca, abused his lazy, range finding jab. Shades of DLH with that left.

That division is looking beastly with Loma, Teofimo, Garcia, and Tank. Loma vs Teofimo will be exciting. Right now, I think Loma > Tank > Teofimo > Garcia. Will see who emerges as the class of the division.

His defense has been the most underrated part of his game. He's improved it 2x since the Mayweather fight.

Slips and rolls are tiring. I incorporate some during my core workout days. That's one of the things that most miss. Rather than just blocking or taking punishment, great defense isn't employed much, because it take energy to do so.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The amount of talent coming out currently from the former Soviet Union countries (Kazakhstan/Uzbekistan/Chechnya/Ukraine and others) has been quiet absurd. Every fight card it seems a new one pops up and is a pure beast. I'm not sure boxing has ever been this global and full of talent since most people didn't even know most these countries existed let alone competed in boxing/MMA.
yeah there is no doubt that the talent in boxing is on a serious come up and that's great for the sport because for so many years it was just second to martial arts competitions and with all these awesome fighters putting their skills in the spotlight it's great. I also love that Fox Sports 1 is promoting the hell out of boxing and we constantly get to watch these fights without having to pay per view.

His defense has been the most underrated part of his game. He's improved it 2x since the Mayweather fight.

Slips and rolls are tiring. I incorporate some during my core workout days. That's one of the things that most miss. Rather than just blocking or taking punishment, great defense isn't employed much, because it take energy to do so.
He got took to school but also graduated that night. He learned about the holes in his game he was 22 years old! That kind of experience is invaluable.
I have Canelo vs the field right now.

He got took to school but also graduated that night. He learned about the holes in his game he was 22 years old! That kind of experience is invaluable.
I have Canelo vs the field right now.
Yea, sometimes you gotta go through the fire to improve.

Right now, I agree. Canelo > anyone else. Only person who would be 50/50 with him right now is Andre Ward. Assuming Ward could shake off the rust. Mostly because I think Ward would attack Canelo's body like he did against Kovalev in the second fight (my boys and I made a nice chunk of change off that win). With Kovalev, he needed to do so to counter his reach. With Canelo, his defense is legit world class now. Attack what doesn't move when he slips and rolls. Canelo would counter with upper cuts. Would be an amazing fight.

Yea, sometimes you gotta go through the fire to improve.

Right now, I agree. Canelo > anyone else. Only person who would be 50/50 with him right now is Andre Ward. Assuming Ward could shake off the rust. Mostly because I think Ward would attack Canelo's body like he did against Kovalev in the second fight (my boys and I made a nice chunk of change off that win). With Kovalev, he needed to do so to counter his reach. With Canelo, his defense is legit world class now. Attack what doesn't move when he slips and rolls. Canelo would counter with upper cuts. Would be an amazing fight.
That's the match of my dreams. Thing is Ward is 35 years old and counting. Top that with he would have to take warm up fight of considerable quality or risk being VERY rusty.

Fury mopped the floor with Wilder. I didn’t expect that at all.
I kinda did. I thought Fury won about 10 out of 12 rounds in their first fight(the draw was BS even with the knockdowns late in the fight) and if any of the two had the overall skills to widen the gap it was Fury as was proven tonight. He had Wilder pretty well figured the first time around but he had him pegged this time. Wilder right hand will always be an equalizer but probably not against Fury. Fury has taken his best shot and still should’ve won and pretty much humiliated him in the rematch.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
just watched Fury Wilder and it wasn't even close. Wilder looked like he was running on fumes early in the fight while Fury was just bringing it to him time and time again, he kept putting Wilder in a headlock and constantly made him feel his weight.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
just watched Fury Wilder and it wasn't even close. Wilder looked like he was running on fumes early in the fight while Fury was just bringing it to him time and time again, he kept putting Wilder in a headlock and constantly made him feel his weight.
He said his entrance costume drained his legs before the fight even began. Lmao

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He said his entrance costume drained his legs before the fight even began. Lmao
yeah Wilder has been a pretty humble guy so the fact that he threw out excuses like that is beneath him but I think his corner calling the fight for him hurt his ego so emotions were high at the time

A bit late but Fury completely mentally and physically crushed the high power low skill Wilder, it was beautiful to watch. Fury from the start just applied non-stop pressure and was easily dodging all of Wilder's wild punches and just first mentally wore him down by not letting Wilder rest at all which is a mistake Luis Ortiz (and Fury in fight one) made who outboxed Wilder twice and got KO'ed both times in later rounds.

By backing off and trying to win via points you allow Wilder to replenish his power which is why he carries it even into later rounds, but Fury did not allow that and just broke Wilder crazy stuff. Fury was a fine line of not being over aggressive but applying enough heat to where Wilder did not know where he was prior to even being dropped.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Tyson lost lots of weight to get to the 220 that he weighed in at. goes to show you that while he did let his fitness slip, he has the determination and focus to get after it even at his age.