The State of the Kings

Time to rebuild?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I had espn but they never played Kings games so got tired of the cost and after much time now just count on clips, draft sites and these boards to formulate my opinions.
I had ESPN for a little bit a while back but they just cycled through the same 4 or 5 teams every week. I have a league pass at the moment. I have tried to cancel twice but they just email me back, offer a free month, and I forget about it.

Enjoy your relative freedom in QLD. Hopefully Melbourne will be mobile again soon-ish and your daughter can visit a campus again in 2021 :)

I had ESPN for a little bit a while back but they just cycled through the same 4 or 5 teams every week. I have a league pass at the moment. I have tried to cancel twice but they just email me back, offer a free month, and I forget about it.

Enjoy your relative freedom in QLD. Hopefully Melbourne will be mobile again soon-ish and your daughter can visit a campus again in 2021 :)
ESPN now cycles through lebron, Zion, Lakers, Zion and Lebron in that order. I haven’t watched sportcenter or any of there shows besides 30for30 in 5-8 years I used to watch them religiously

ESPN now cycles through lebron, Zion, Lakers, Zion and Lebron in that order. I haven’t watched sportcenter or any of there shows besides 30for30 in 5-8 years I used to watch them religiously
At least we know the Kings will change (several times over) before any sort of change happens at ESPN.

Things are tough now but that will change. Leeds United were just promoted to the premier league after 16 years on the out. They had a few promotion near misses before finally making it in this year. When I started following basketball, teams like Golden State and the Clippers were consistently awful. One is now on the other end of a dynasty like run and the other started the year as possible title favourites. Maybe watching the team learn and develop, and waiting to see how they do it, or what it is that finally clicks, is something I am interested in.

I'm not trying to say anyone is in the wrong for being disgruntled. It has been more than a decade since the Kings put a playoff quality product on the floor, instead showing a preference for drama and missteps. But I think it's also nice to post something like 'it is OK to still care, still be invested.'
Hey, if people are getting enjoyment out of the current product, the promise of a turnaround, or even the sadistic experience of living through the losses, more power to you. I did that for about 15 years prior to the "golden age" of the early 2000's and now 14 years after. Cubs and Red Sox fans did it for generations and they were finally provided the highs of world series wins that were likely more unbelievable experiences given their terrible history and pain inflicted with years of disappointment. Heck, the Giants' 2010 world series win was probably the high point of my sports fandom. I totally get that it's all a journey and things are sweeter if you stick it out in good times and in bad. I will certainly still follow the team, but I don't really care that much anymore.

Carmichael Dave is going all-in now...
To be fair he's had this stance on the front office since we drafted Bagley over Doncic. Yet he spoke about it fewer and farther in between because of the whole "maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel after all" mentality that swept over Kings fans/nation last year. He, like the majority of Kings fans (or so it seems), finally, at long last, has reached his breaking point and really feels like something major needs to be done to continue to give a damn about the team.

To be fair he's had this stance on the front office since we drafted Bagley over Doncic. Yet he spoke about it fewer and farther in between because of the whole "maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel after all" mentality that swept over Kings fans/nation last year. He, like the majority of Kings fans (or so it seems), finally, at long last, has reached his breaking point and really feels like something major needs to be done to continue to give a damn about the team.
He expresses his feelings on Twitter regularly, but has he ever said this in such a firm tone on-air before? When you've completely broken Dave of all people.......you can sense his desperation that if Vivek is going to do anything, it needs to be done NOW (which I completely agree with).

Look, the Dumars thing is appearing real after the hiring initially raised eyebrows to anyone with a shred of sense and if it were anyone but Vlade in the uncomfortable seat of lame duck I'd be all out on this, but in the end, this isn't good moving forward. This could end up derailing worse than anything during the Maloofs last days in terms of front office turmoil and on court turmoil. Vivek, wake up dude. At the very least Walton has shown you that any concerns about him coming out of LA were real. This will end up costing you a ton more in the long run. Listen to Kings fans, we've seen this movie before. It doesn't end well. Again, Vlade has luck on his side but when games matter luck doesn't.

He expresses his feelings on Twitter regularly, but has he ever said this in such a firm tone on-air before? When you've completely broken Dave of all people.......you can sense his desperation that if Vivek is going to do anything, it needs to be done NOW (which I completely agree with).
Which is absolutely the worst time to do it. If you don't get it right it will set the team back way farther than the position they are in now. The uncertainty of future games and fans makes it a lot more risky.

Which is absolutely the worst time to do it. If you don't get it right it will set the team back way farther than the position they are in now. The uncertainty of future games and fans makes it a lot more risky.
how is this statement even remotely possible?

Their isn’t a worse position than longest streak with no play-offs ever. If the Kings were in the premier league they would have been relegated out of it and out of League Championship.

Vivek is an example of why you should be forced to sell if you don’t make the play-offs within a certain window.

Their isn’t a worse position than longest streak with no play-offs ever. If the Kings were in the premier league they would have been relegated out of it and out of League Championship.

Vivek is an example of why you should be forced to sell if you don’t make the play-offs within a certain window.
The problem with relegation is Sacramento would be one of those yo-yo teams (Norwich, Newcastle--though they shouldn't be, Sunderland...) while the best teams will always be located in NYC, SF, LA...the big cities, basically.

The problem with relegation is Sacramento would be one of those yo-yo teams (Norwich, Newcastle--though they shouldn't be, Sunderland...) while the best teams will always be located in NYC, SF, LA...the big cities, basically.
with Vivek at the helm Sac would be relegated out of the Championship league also.

with Vivek at the helm Sac would be relegated out of the Championship league also.
Well. I do not think the fans of Manchester United or Arsenal, traditional premier league heavyweights, like their owners all that much. Newcastle United fans seem pretty desperate for their "cheap" billionaire owner to sell. There are also rumors that current Burnley owners may also lose their much loved and overachieving manager, Sean Dyche, because of their tight purse strings. We will see. Vivek may have made mistakes early on, but he does not seem cheap. On the other side, football fans who might be happier with their owners, say those of Manchester City, have to block out the human rights violations that seem to underlie the owners power and wealth when they watch their slick passing team.

Sometimes I find criticism of the Kings ownership, management, staff, and players well informed, constructive, and fair. Although, at times, for me, it can also feel a bit like 'any opportunity to say something negative will do'.

If they go bankrupt it would be much worse.

Well. I do not think the fans of Manchester United or Arsenal, traditional premier league heavyweights, like their owners all that much. Newcastle United fans seem pretty desperate for their "cheap" billionaire owner to sell. There are also rumors that current Burnley owners may also lose their much loved and overachieving manager, Sean Dyche, because of their tight purse strings. We will see. Vivek may have made mistakes early on, but he does not seem cheap. On the other side, football fans who might be happier with their owners, say those of Manchester City, have to block out the human rights violations that seem to underlie the owners power and wealth when they watch their slick passing team.

Sometimes I find criticism of the Kings ownership, management, staff, and players well informed, constructive, and fair. Although, at times, for me, it can also feel a bit like 'any opportunity to say something negative will do'.
I'd be happy if the Kings mimicked Everton (until recently, a middle of the road team that always punches above its weight--partly due to developing top shelf talent- like Rooney, John Stones...) or Leiceister (surprise Premier League title then sold all of its elite players, put a ton of money in its development and scouting system, and has been able to thrive ever since).

Its crazy how people on here give buddy a pass for his nonsense. He’s been complaining and bitching about something since last year now and Jones is saying he won’t accept coming off the bench next year. Why the **** does it matter if you come off the bench we gave you too much money anyways and you’ll get minuets.

It appears not a lot of team will be in the running for him because of his contract but of course Philadelphia was mentioned. If we send him to Philadelphia do we want Horford/Richardson back or do Tobias Harris/Korkmaz.

I’d also look at Brooklyn as I think they’ll lose Harris and would want an elite shooter next to KD/Irving. I’d try for Caris Levert first offer Buddy and our lottery pick, Levert is a budding all star and would be great as a big SG next to Fox. If not I’d go for Spencer Dinwiddie who’ll they would fear losing after next year, Offer Buddy for Spencer straight up. Dinwiddie can be our 6th man he was a 20/6 guy this year he can create.

Its crazy how people on here give buddy a pass for his nonsense. He’s been complaining and bitching about something since last year now and Jones is saying he won’t accept coming off the bench next year. Why the **** does it matter if you come off the bench we gave you too much money anyways and you’ll get minuets.

It appears not a lot of team will be in the running for him because of his contract but of course Philadelphia was mentioned. If we send him to Philadelphia do we want Horford/Richardson back or do Tobias Harris/Korkmaz.

I’d also look at Brooklyn as I think they’ll lose Harris and would want an elite shooter next to KD/Irving. I’d try for Caris Levert first offer Buddy and our lottery pick, Levert is a budding all star and would be great as a big SG next to Fox. If not I’d go for Spencer Dinwiddie who’ll they would fear losing after next year, Offer Buddy for Spencer straight up. Dinwiddie can be our 6th man he was a 20/6 guy this year he can create.
It’s actually pretty simple. Buddy is stupid. There, I said it. Not just low hoops IQ, which was evident all year. Just stupid in general. Too stupid to put what’s best for the team ahead of himself. Too stupid to realize that he’s already been paid. Too stupid to acknowledge that being a 6th man equals only a few less minutes per night. Too stupid to realize that an elite 6th man is more valuable than an average starting two guard.

It’s actually pretty simple. Buddy is stupid. There, I said it. Not just low hoops IQ, which was evident all year. Just stupid in general. Too stupid to put what’s best for the team ahead of himself. Too stupid to realize that he’s already been paid. Too stupid to acknowledge that being a 6th man equals only a few less minutes per night. Too stupid to realize that an elite 6th man is more valuable than an average starting two guard.
It’s really mind boggling I’d understand if he wasn’t paid yet and wanted to start to get money but that fool already got paid. Why would you care if you start you’re getting the same minutes and it worked for the team, get that dude out of here ASAP

He'll end up somewhere like the knicks putting up big numbers on a 20 win team. Getting "all that smoke"

If we could get LeVert or Dinwiddie That would be amazing!!

Not sure if there are any fans of The Office in here. But when when Vivek started blathering about his daughters basketball team after he first took over it felt like when DeAngelo Vickers took over for Michael and then started eating the cake with his hands on the first day and Dwight looks at Jim and says "uh oh". Except in this case DeAngelo stuck around and is here for the foreseeable future
really nothing is changing while Vivek and Matina are still here.

I just want to wish everyone here the best of luck going forwards. I’ve decided to step away from watching and supporting the Kings. I’ve been a fan since 12 years old, but I can’t justify doing this to myself anymore. I understand ups and downs, it’s only natural, but it’s just been “down” for the last decade and a half. I’ve really lost a lot of joy watching due to bad basketball and that’s not really the point of this game. I’m supposed to have some fun too with being a fan.

I do think the Kings have some solid players and Fox can absolutely be the real deal, if he so chooses. I just don’t want to watch the crap show with finding yet another new GM and/or having a lame duck coach.

Best of luck to all of you and if anyone deserves a good team to watch it’s you guys. I’m just going to enjoy the game for what it is and watch some (hopefully) good basketball. Cheers to all and special thanks to VF, Cap, and all the other moderators for the last 14 years while being a member here.