The ONLY Trade Peja for Artest thread (merged)

well, it's only 3 games into a season.
and yes, although we lost them all, i do see a progressive improvement of their game
so maybe by the 10th game they'll be back to the championship team we know them to be, yeah?
then who's gonna stop them?

GO KINGS!

by the way, don't trade peja. and yes, as quoted many times already, let's just watch some basketball

VF21 said:
REason 1. YOU may have no faith in our defense, but a lot of people are actually encouraged by what they're seeing from the Kings on defense. Three games into the season is NOT enough time to gauge true performance.
i liked what your whole post said, but this part really stood out to me. yesterdays defensive effort did encourage me, but i don't think this team will consistantly play defense at a level that is needed to win a championship. that is my only concern. and you are 100% right, i'll wait until at least the AS game to make my final judgement

i'm just so darn hungry for a championship!!!! it's eats at me :)

GO KINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just remember, evenstar, NO ONE gave the Detroit Pistons a snowball's chance in Hell of being in the Finals last year. Not in the first month, not in the second month, and not even at the all-star break.

It ain't over til the fat lady sings, and she hasn't even been given the musical score yet. There's plenty of time to panic. You're a gymnast. Do you make your final decision about a team gymnastic event after the first round???

;)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
VF21 said:
Just remember, evenstar, NO ONE gave the Detroit Pistons a snowball's chance in Hell of being in the Finals last year. Not in the first month, not in the second month, and not even at the all-star break.
All-Star Break? Nobody gave Detroit a chance of being in the Finals until about Game 6 of the ECF...

Again: Trade Peja for Artest

And again, no, it's not going to happen this season. It would be a great trade for the Kings, but it's not going to happen. This has been discussed far too much.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
[font=&quot]All-Star Break? Nobody gave [/font][font=&quot]Detroit[/font][font=&quot] a chance of being in the Finals until about Game 6 of the ECF...[/font]
Really? Most people I knew had the Pistons in the Finals in November 2003, including myself.

VF21 said:

It ain't over til the fat lady sings, and she hasn't even been given the musical score yet. There's plenty of time to panic. You're a gymnast. Do you make your final decision about a team gymnastic event after the first round???

;)
this is true. i rememeber the kings last year beating them right before the break, and they were just at rock bottom at that point, lost like 5 in a row something like that. then sheed came along and the rest is history. i'd LOVE to see the kings shock the world like the pistons did :D how about we dethrone them ;)

one thing i do have to say is i LOVED how NO ONE picked us to win this year. my heart wants to believe they can win it all, but my head keep ruining the fun :p if that D can just play consitantly, and more low post action on the offense, we could do it, but we'd probably have to go through either the spurs or minny. i think we could beat minny, heck we took them to 7 games with a one legged webber and a 1 footed christie. the spurs just look SO good, but that route today makes me go hmmmm. perhaps..... maybe if we had someone who could stop MANU. that is the key IMO. duncan will get his, but manu is usually the one at the end that makes you go WOAH, how's he get all this!!!! and we can't forget about parker, he killed the lakers in the first 2 games before fizzling out in the last 4 ( he didn't look too good in the game vs us, he couldn't stop bibby either)

it's hard to compare the 2 sports. gymnastics is so much about balance, repetition, start values, difficulty moves etc. i was around my team so much i knew what to expect score wise. when you see the moves the other team does in warms ups, you pretty much get an idea of how things will be. the team that does the harder moves will score more. say for example a girl on my team did a back tuck, but the girl on the other team did a back tuck with a full twist, she would get a better score becuase she would get more points for doing a harder skill.

GO KINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm with ya all the way!!!!!!!!

VF21 said:
I've shortened your quote and will address your "reasons" to trade:

REason 1. YOU may have no faith in our defense, but a lot of people are actually encouraged by what they're seeing from the Kings on defense. Three games into the season is NOT enough time to gauge true performance.

Reason 2. Um what? Three games into the season is NOT enough time to gauge true performance. Pedja is getting his shot back... And when he does, it will be a VERY welcome addition to the Kings. We need him.

Reason 3. Pedja may or may not be happy, but that's not important at this point. "Pedja was not as good as the one who is the second highest scorer." What?! That makes no sense whatsoever.

As far as this being a topic for discussion, it's simply getting old. Most team fans DON'T continue to argue about trade deals that aren't going to happen. This one is NOT going to happen. Especially now.

Pedja's game is improving; he's working hard and he's working WITH his teammates.

People wonder why the players sometimes get disheartened? To be honest, it's things like the 'fans' giving up hope in players that sadden them.

If, at the end of this year, Pedja still isn't happy then Petrie will address the situation. Right now, however, Pedja is a King and he will remain a King. I, for one, will support him - although I will be critical - as long as he wears the uniform.
respect.

W

Whit Eboy

VF21 said:

;)
I didn't think that Detroit Pistons can get the championship last year at the beginning, not in the first month, not in the second month, not until they GOT R.Wallace who helped them to improved their defense.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Whit Eboy said:
I didn't think that Detroit Pistons can get the championship last year at the beginning, not in the first month, not in the second month, not until they GOT R.Wallace who helped them to improved their defense.
2 things:

1) very few people had Detroit picked to make the Finals last year until the mid year trade. And even after the mid year trade the money would have been on the Pacers. Detroit was a clear, and distant, #2 choice to Indiana right up until the time they ran off that amazing streak of defensive games.

2) Detroit did not have to give up anybody to get Rasheed (nobody important). If they had had to give up Rip to get get Sheed in town, sincerely doubt they are champions right now.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Actually!!

VF21 said:

;)
As I recall, when they made the TRADE for Rasheed Wallace they were considered a contender. Hmmm....

VF21 said:

;)
Well they were considered a challenger from the east but nobody thought that even the pacers would win over any team that came from the west.

Now in gymnastics (and in all those competitions judged by judges like ice skating ), i thought the medals are decided before the event starts ;) provided the athletes dont mess up too much

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
vladetomiller said:
Now in gymnastics (and in all those competitions judged by judges like ice skating ), i thought the medals are decided before the event starts ;) provided the athletes dont mess up too much
No, you're thinking of ice skating. ;)

Gymnastics is the one with the judges who can't count. ;)

2muchgame

Something will happen

Geoff Petrie isn't stupid, but everyone in the NBA is on to him. He is so good, it's to our disadvantage.

One move he missed however, Peja for Artest. The Kings need toughness and some attitude and Ron has just that. He can also score some and his defense and steals are a perfect compliment to DC. Peja is crying to get the heck out of here and Web is staying put until he proves he is healthy.

The best way the Kings can build for the future is to make a bold move and pray Webber has some trade value soon. And, as much as I love BJax, he is a luxury and we need to parlay his talent into a shooter or a young, active big man. Who needs a PG? Seattle, Philly, among others. The Kings have their work cut out for them!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
2muchgame said:
Geoff Petrie isn't stupid, but everyone in the NBA is on to him. He is so good, it's to our disadvantage.

One move he missed however, Peja for Artest. The Kings need toughness and some attitude and Ron has just that. He can also score some and his defense and steals are a perfect compliment to DC. Peja is crying to get the heck out of here and Web is staying put until he proves he is healthy.

The best way the Kings can build for the future is to make a bold move and pray Webber has some trade value soon. And, as much as I love BJax, he is a luxury and we need to parlay his talent into a shooter or a young, active big man. Who needs a PG? Seattle, Philly, among others. The Kings have their work cut out for them!
And WHY exactly is Indiana gonna jump all over this deal? An under-performing all-star for the defensive player of the year? I don't think it's gonna happen.

VF21 said:
And WHY exactly is Indiana gonna jump all over this deal? An under-performing all-star for the defensive player of the year? I don't think it's gonna happen.
That was exactly their point, at least to my understanding. Petrie could have swung a deal during the summer, but the Pacers are probably less willing at this point.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If I remember right, Larry Bird wasn't exactly sold on the idea... I think the revered Mr. Bird might have some problems with Pedja's attitude. He (Larry) doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would deal with players who take their grievances to the public arena.

VF21 said:
If I remember right, Larry Bird wasn't exactly sold on the idea... I think the revered Mr. Bird might have some problems with Pedja's attitude. He (Larry) doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would deal with players who take their grievances to the public arena.
Hahaha, WHAT ? So he'd rather keep a nutcase ?
Of all the people in the NBA, I would say that Pedja has one of the most compliant personalities, and is a complete professional as we see. Also, trouble-free off the court. I think you should look somewhere else for a guy that fits your description.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Pedja may be compliant, he may be a complete professional, blah, blah, blah...

He's also a player who, instead of dealing privately with the Kings ownership, took his grievances to the media. Larry Bird doesn't like to see players using the media as tools against team owners.

Pedja is also someone who has consistently disappeared in the playoffs, right when his team needed him the most...also not a trait that would endear him to one of the 50 greatest to ever play the game.

But we've had this argument a million times before. Bottom line? Had the deal been that attractive, I think we'd be watching Pedja in a Pacers uniform. We aren't.

Everyone assumes it's because Petrie didn't jump on it. How odd would it be if the exact opposite was true?

Just something to think about...

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Slotter is dead on there. While Lary Legand may not like what Pedja did ONE TIME, you know how he as to feel about what Artest has done time and time again. But honeslty this post has gone on too long. The Kings have made it clear they are not trading Pedja, At this point I am not sure if Bird would "jump on the idea." If this trade did not happen in Augest it sure as heck is not going down in November. Could just realisticly put this thread on ice untill Dec?

VF21 said:
Larry Bird doesn't like to see players using the media as tools against team owners.

Pedja is also someone who has consistently disappeared in the playoffs, right when his team needed him the most...also not a trait that would endear him to one of the 50 greatest to ever play the game.

But we've had this argument a million times before. Bottom line? Had the deal been that attractive, I think we'd be watching Pedja in a Pacers uniform. We aren't.

Everyone assumes it's because Petrie didn't jump on it. How odd would it be if the exact opposite was true?

Just something to think about...
Are you kidding me ??? Going and yapping to the media certainly seems to be the way Kings players do their things nowadays. Let me remind that certain other player had a little speech himself that probably caused that reaction from Pedja. From what we know, Maloofs and Petrie were aware of Pedja situation before he went public - but he is the one who made it public. Why hide dissatisfaction ?

I cannot and will not argue Pedja's playoff performance. Without question, it has been subpar compared to his regular season numbers - but that is the type of player he is and he definitely struggles when he is the number one focus of opponent's defense. Other players, especially Christie and Webber get a whole lot of easier shots because of that and opponents basically let them take freebies just so that Pedja doesn't get open. That's a fact.

From what I know, there was a good interest in Pedja and his small contract was the main reason no deals went through. Also, from what I know it was Petrie who said that Pedja will not be traded, and the talks with Indiana did not end because the Pacers chose so - please display ONE source that says so (besides your own fiction). Many teams would love Pedja if for no other reason, but because he IS the best shooter in the NBA and is very popular around the league and among the coaches (see Phil Jackson's comments). The Kings however do have a player who is considered untradeable, among the most overrated and overpaid.

I made my position clear and there are too many people who agree with this point of view for me to continue discussing this particular topic.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Geoff said:
Looks like Artest may have done his "off-the-rocker" act which was the breaker to my support for this trade.
Come on - defensive player of the year, tough, good character, very proffesional, recomended by C. Barkley. Yes, he has some minor issues but hey nobody is perfect.

2muchgame

artest no play tonight

why not? coach's decision? did artest forget to score Larry Legend some good sticky-icky. did ron finally have a meltdown? what happeneded??

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From what I know, there was a good interest in Pedja and his small contract was the main reason no deals went through. Also, from what I know it was Petrie who said that Pedja will not be traded, and the talks with Indiana did not end because the Pacers chose so - please display ONE source that says so (besides your own fiction).
Dude, why the hostility? I said...

Everyone assumes it's because Petrie didn't jump on it. How odd would it be if the exact opposite was true? Just something to think about...
You know, something to think about like ALL trade proposals? I wasn't claiming any insider knowledge of any kind. I was simply putting forth an alternative scenario. It's not like it makes any difference anyway. Pedja isn't going anywhere...

;)

there's minor issues and there's certifiable. Whatever Artest's problem is (and I admit I don't yet know what it is) it doesn't seem minor...

VF21 said:
( sorry i'm reposnding to this a little late)

my understanding was over the summer, the pacers tried to trade artest for peja, but the kings were the ones who turned it down. this was pre peja asking for a trade. ( don't quote me on it, i could be wrong, thats how i remember it)

i'm not sure this trade will ever go down, but *IF* we do indeed trade peja, the only person i can see us trading him for is artest, due to the salaries being so close, and we'd be trading value for value as opposed to value for garbage.

i'm neutral on this, but i do have to say, it would be cap friendly salary for 4 years :) if peja were to resign with us in 2 years, he'd want a heck of a lot more then he's getting now, so theres no guarantee we'd be able to keep him anyways, with the huge salaries of bibby, webber and miller combined.

GO KINGS! GO PEJA ! :D