The GP Watch

With the trade deadline approaching will GP make the right trade(s) that KingsFans want. What players (if any) would you be disappointed if they are still on our team after the trade deadline and what players and/or picks we should (realistically) get in return?

Last edited:
Nocioni!

Simply because I think he is slowly becoming "flexible piece" which pretty much means untradeable in our parts. We wasted a great opportunity last year when we had a chance to trade him on to Boston.

I also would be disappointed if the front office waits for too long to make the move with Martin. Its not working and its not going to work with him and Evans. Better make a move while the value is high and it gives us a chance to solidify our line up for the rest of the season and going into next season.

Can't believe it hasn't been said yet, but I'll be pretty upset if we don't trade Kenny Thomas for something. And to add that, we better get something good for him - not a bunch of Hilton Armstrongs and Rashad McCantses.

Dude has been clogging our cap for 4 years!

Can't believe it hasn't been said yet, but I'll be pretty upset if we don't trade Kenny Thomas for something. And to add that, we better get something good for him - not a bunch of Hilton Armstrongs and Rashad McCantses.

Dude has been clogging our cap for 4 years!
AMEN! please please please dont let K9 go unmoved. I think we can bring in a decent player(s) or draft picks since teams will be looking to get under the cap. We are going to have a hard time attracting free agents this off season so keeping him and letting him expire may not work out as well as we hope. However, We at least need to get a 1st round pick, i do NOT want to see a bunch of players like one and done suggested. I would also like to see Noc moved for the same type of pieces we would get in a K9 deal.

BOSH TO SAC PLEEEEEEEAASSSSEEE!!!!!

AMEN! please please please dont let K9 go unmoved. I think we can bring in a decent player(s) or draft picks since teams will be looking to get under the cap. We are going to have a hard time attracting free agents this off season so keeping him and letting him expire may not work out as well as we hope. However, We at least need to get a 1st round pick, i do NOT want to see a bunch of players like one and done suggested. I would also like to see Noc moved for the same type of pieces we would get in a K9 deal.

Bosh would be awesome but I have no idea if he'd stay. Dude's a free agent at the end of the year. How about Amare Stoudemire instead, who's willing to sign an extension supposedly?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Bosh would be awesome but I have no idea if he'd stay. Dude's a free agent at the end of the year. How about Amare Stoudemire instead, who's willing to sign an extension supposedly?
Stoudemire isn't a great defender either, but offensively he fits our style, and he's been a better rebounder this year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think Petrie stands pat and waits until the summer before doing anything.
I don't think he'll do anything with KT unless something really good comes along. KT isn't a liability. You can trade him now, or use the cap space next offseason. I think if you get a good offer for Nocioni you have to take it. Just to get out from his contract if nothing else. Take back enders and then add that to the capspace from KT and you have some workable money next offseason.

A

AriesMar27

so now nocioni is on the trading block... wow, who didnt see this one coming? he sucks and petrie was wrong for trading for him. we couldve kept miller.... oddly enough we need a third big. we should trade nocioni and hilton to the bulls for miller and gray. i know he misses wearing headbands.... and we get two 7 footers...

I don't think he'll do anything with KT unless something really good comes along. KT isn't a liability. You can trade him now, or use the cap space next offseason. I think if you get a good offer for Nocioni you have to take it. Just to get out from his contract if nothing else. Take back enders and then add that to the capspace from KT and you have some workable money next offseason.
I think KT is much more valuable as an expiring than the cap space he shall provide next year.

To begin with, we can take back 25% more salary if we choose to. Or, we could use him to get rid of some other player at the SF position where we have too many players (Noc, Cisco), or combine him with Martin to try and get a real star. Most importantly, we are not likely to be significantly under the cap, nor an attractive FA destination to attract a major talent. We clearly need upgrade in the front court, and might end up overpaying for a tier 2/3 player if we try to use our cap space.

Of course, the owners have to sign off on taking on added salary. Plus, I don't know how many teams are interested, given that we don't help them cut salary this year (apart from the added 25% that we can take). Ideal trade partner shall be some team who is already, or likely to go over the LT line next year.

Finally, one can argue that at this stage, not doing anything is probably the best bet. Unless we can get some really good prospect or picks, we take our lumps with the kids, and hope to strike it rich in the draft. If luck favors us once and gives us Wall, yay. Else, we look to shore up the front court with some kids.

Right now id be fine with trading, Noc,Martin,JT,Hawes,K9 and future picks to get the big man that we need. I'll be extremely dissapointed if we dont get a big man. We have the pieces.

I have a bad feeling GP stands pat by the trade deadline too. I'd love to move Nocioni for expirings, but I can't imagine any team in their right mind absorbing two more years at $6M. Chicago might bite to secure the 8th spot, but who else? And honestly, I'd almost expect any team to want a draft pick as well. Why we didn't get at least a 2nd rounder from the Hornets is beyond me.

Personally, I rather him not make a trade than make a desperate one.

We're not getting Bosh. I hope you don't do anything drastic once you realize this.

And we've been saddled with Thomas' contract this long. No sense in trading him for another expiring contract. If we can use him to get a big man who is going to re-sign with us, that would be great.

I think Amare is acheivable and wouldn't be a bad move, IMO. Not sure what PHX's price would be...I'd give up Martin and Noc for him though.
I posted that same deal in the "trade Martin" thread yesterday. Only problem is that he has a player option next season, so we'd have to have deal in place with him before the trade. Or we could do that in the offseason, as a sign and trade, because if they do the extension in Phx, his BYC status could mess up the numbers and adjust the terms. Oh, and I'd want them to throw in a second rounder, too.

so now nocioni is on the trading block... wow, who didnt see this one coming? he sucks and petrie was wrong for trading for him. we couldve kept miller.... oddly enough we need a third big. we should trade nocioni and hilton to the bulls for miller and gray. i know he misses wearing headbands.... and we get two 7 footers...
short sighted.. we needed to unload b52 so spencer could grow. i don't know how many games more we would have won with b52 but he isn't the answer.if b52 was still on the kings, he would be taking the starting spot and valuable minutes the kids need. we now have a young core group of guys we can proudly say is our future. the ship has sailed w/ b52 so lets look forward and see what other possibilities there are.

short sighted.. we needed to unload b52 so spencer could grow. i don't know how many games more we would have won with b52 but he isn't the answer.if b52 was still on the kings, he would be taking the starting spot and valuable minutes the kids need. we now have a young core group of guys we can proudly say is our future. the ship has sailed w/ b52 so lets look forward and see what other possibilities there are.
The money doesn't work with Aaron Gray in there, but I'd do Noc and Armstrong for Miller. Save about $4 million in the next two years, because Miller comes off after this season. Our payroll would go from $41 million to $34 million next season. Noc isn't a part of this young core group that we're going to look forward to seeing for the next several years. He's another swing man that we don't really need and who isn't really happy here.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I posted that same deal in the "trade Martin" thread yesterday. Only problem is that he has a player option next season, so we'd have to have deal in place with him before the trade. Or we could do that in the offseason, as a sign and trade, because if they do the extension in Phx, his BYC status could mess up the numbers and adjust the terms. Oh, and I'd want them to throw in a second rounder, too.
Reading the Larry Coon FAQ, I don't think that BYC would apply to an Amare extension prior to a trade. BYC appears to apply in two circumstances - when a player's rookie contract is extended, and when they are signed to a new contract as a free agent under Bird exceptions. It appears that a regular old extension would be transparent as far as trade value is concerned.

Reading the Larry Coon FAQ, I don't think that BYC would apply to an Amare extension prior to a trade. BYC appears to apply in two circumstances - when a player's rookie contract is extended, and when they are signed to a new contract as a free agent under Bird exceptions. It appears that a regular old extension would be transparent as far as trade value is concerned.
Well, good. That's what would have to happen, then. No sense renting him for two months.

AMEN! please please please dont let K9 go unmoved. I think we can bring in a decent player(s) or draft picks since teams will be looking to get under the cap.
Can we really provide cap relief? As I understand, we used up most of our cap space when we picked up Hilton. We can still trade away KT and some other guys, and take back 25% more salary, but that extra 25% is all the relief we can provide. So, if we trade away 10M worth of salary, we can provide about 2.5M worth of relief in the best case scenario.

So, that means we can deal with teams which are couple of million above the LT, to help them get under the cap and gain about 6-7 million (2 million in salary, 2 in tax and the gains from the distributions). This is a substantial amount, and if we are willing to take back some extra salary, we might be able to pull off something. However, I don't think there are lot of teams like that.

Not sure of the place to look at, since have seen errors in the past on hoopshype. Does someone know of teams we might be able to help get under the tax and some realistic deal that gets us some young prospect/pick?

I think a more realistic option might be to deal with some team that wants to get under the cap next year, to be a player in the FA market. Chicago and NY are what I can think of. Think Knicks can be ruled out. Not only do they have lousy players with bad contracts, they don't have any picks to give. Chicago may present with some potential. We might have to take back some added salary, but we might get a pick, particularly, if they think they have a chance of landing Wade, or more likely, Bosh. I don't think we should expect much though. Don't see any team giving up too much for any of our guys. Only exception might be if we are willing to trade Kevin.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Can we really provide cap relief? As I understand, we used up most of our cap space when we picked up Hilton. We can still trade away KT and some other guys, and take back 25% more salary, but that extra 25% is all the relief we can provide. So, if we trade away 10M worth of salary, we can provide about 2.5M worth of relief in the best case scenario.
That's correct. There was a bit of a tradeoff when we picked up Hilton. We lost a lot of ability to straight-up absorb money from a tax-shy team. On the other hand, we gained the ability to trade for bigger contracts without giving up valuable pieces because we can now include Armstrong (as an ender, no less) in any trade we like.

Not sure of the place to look at, since have seen errors in the past on hoopshype. Does someone know of teams we might be able to help get under the tax and some realistic deal that gets us some young prospect/pick?
www.shamsports.com is about as reliable as it gets for salary/contract data. I think he gets his info from a league source.

Nocioni must go. He's not a team player. Does he have an assist this season? ;)

Hawes can take a hike too, if the Kings can get a better defender, rebounder and put-back guy in trade. We don't need another jump-shooting center who can't play a lick of D.

And Sergio. I think he has some upside but he makes the most ridiculous turnovers and Kings need to shore-up their ballhandling and passing.

A

AriesMar27

you are aware that may and brockman have started over hawes this season... id rather have miller starting over hawes than brockman, miller is a better passer and shooter than hawes is at this point and would help run the offense.

oh, and he's an expiring contract... it would give hawes one more year to learn the nba game. miller had no reason to be traded, salmons... yes. but miller? no.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
you are aware that may and brockman have started over hawes this season... id rather have miller starting over hawes than brockman, miller is a better passer and shooter than hawes is at this point and would help run the offense.

oh, and he's an expiring contract... it would give hawes one more year to learn the nba game. miller had no reason to be traded, salmons... yes. but miller? no.
You can try and revise history all you like, but trading Brad Miller was a huge step in the right direction. He was unhappy, he was pouting even more than usual, he was not being anything close to a mentor.

When you rebuild, you go with the kids.