Thar she blows! We've got Burkle!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
It would seem so but if they turn this down, the BOG doesn't have to agree with whatever deal they have cooking. Besides, money is money and why shouldn't they be willing to skulk out of Sacramento with their bills paid?
If the BOG says no, they can't still sell to Seattle (without a major lawsuit - hmm, could this be what the $30 million is for?). I doubt they can be forced to sell at all, but they are only in this position because they are running out of money and need to sell. They aren't holding on for another year now. I think they would take an equivalent to slightly better offer and hold their noses while doing so.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Gotta love Fox40 who led off tonight's news with the Breaking Burkle news. And here it is, 6 minutes into the broadcast, and they're still talking about it. :)

Gotta love Fox40 who led off tonight's news with the Breaking Burkle news. And here it is, 6 minutes into the broadcast, and they're still talking about it. :)

Jim Crandell and fox 40 have always I felt provided the best coverage of the Kings. I watch them over others because of it.

OK, the Railyards deal should be pretty much good to go. I think the city council would have to vote again, but that would be a slam-dunk with a team like Burkle, etc., as owners and a commitment to stay.

I don't know what the situation would be at the Plaza. I don't know if we have time to put those wheels in motion at this time to get BOG approval. Maybe agree to the Railyards with an option to change to Plaza in the future if agreements can be worked out?

But that is just getting ugly and unnecessarily confusing/convoluted with a rapidly evolving situation and upcoming BOG meeting. I don't see how that would work on such short notice. The Railyards have gone through all the studies, etc. at this point and the Plaza has not. That I know of!
Dunno if the plaza needs any studies since there are buildings there now. Your basically tearing down a mall and putting in an arena. The mall can move to the railyards.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Dunno if the plaza needs any studies since there are buildings there now. Your basically tearing down a mall and putting in an arena. The mall can move to the railyards.
You wouldn't believe the studies that would need to be done. Traffic, environmental, land use, etc. If they were tearing down the mall to put a new mall in? Probably easy to bypass a lot of it. But with a new structure type and usage there would be all kinds of studies required.

You wouldn't believe the studies that would need to be done. Traffic, environmental, land use, etc. If they were tearing down the mall to put a new mall in? Probably easy to bypass a lot of it. But with a new structure type and usage there would be all kinds of studies required.
Yeah, I'm hopeful that this isn't a deal breaker for Burkle as I know he expressed interest in the plaza possibilities. The good news is that he was already interested in the original railyard plan too

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From Grant Napear @Grant Napear How about showing these new investors that we rock by going to games and supporting the team?Let them know they're making a great investment

I heartily agree. And they're saying the same thing on news 10 right now. Attend the games and show Burkle/Mastrov that we the fans will totally support them.

Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov! Here we burkle! Here we mastrov!

Yeah but AECOM wasn't that far into the site planning. The bottom line is that I don't think it's bad that two possible sites are in question. There are big concerns and benefits at both sites.

I spoke with one of them at the public workshop last spring. They have some issues with major utility trunks that need to be relocated in the railyard. Not to mention it's a tight fit and could cut off the depot from the track platforms. DTP east has 1,920 parking spots that were included in the parking concession. Building the arena there probably takes away just over 1,000-1,500 of that away form the 5,144 garage spots up for bid. Yeah that could be a major sticking point.

From Grant Napear @Grant Napear How about showing these new investors that we rock by going to games and supporting the team?Let them know they're making a great investment

I heartily agree. And they're saying the same thing on news 10 right now. Attend the games and show Burkle/Mastrov that we the fans will totally support them.
I've been one advocating to NOT go to games, starve out the clowns and force them to sell. Well, now that the clowns are out, I wholeheartedly agree with showing support. I'll be there with my family for as many home games as my work schedule permits.

Great news about Burkle.

I do wonder how they will run the team with 5 major owners who will all have possibly different ideas.

Will be interested to see how the percentages fall at the end.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I have a question, does anyone know what happens if NO ONE owns a Majority share of the team? It occurs to me that perhaps the idea is to buy out the Maloofs with several buyers in order to assure the NBA and the City that the team CAN"T bid for relocation again in the near future because there would be no single owner who could sell a majority ownership.

I also wonder if a big part of the multiple buy strategy is the realization that in order to out bid Hanson (who is over paying), the local guys will have to seriously over pay, not too many single buyers or even a few of them would be willing to drop hundreds of millions into a bad deal, but getting them to lay out a few million for ownership rights, is a much easier pitch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.