Thar she blows! We've got Burkle!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I have a question, does anyone know what happens if NO ONE owns a Majority share of the team? It occurs to me that perhaps the idea is to buy out the Maloofs with several buyers in order to assure the NBA and the City that the team CAN"T bid for relocation again in the near future because there would be no single owner who could sell a majority ownership.

I also wonder if a big part of the multiple buy strategy is the realization that in order to out bid Hanson (who is over paying), the local guys will have to seriously over pay, not too many single buyers or even a few of them would be willing to drop hundreds of millions into a bad deal, but getting them to lay out a few million for ownership rights, is a much easier pitch.
I think you can stipulate in the contract who the managing partner (controlling team operations) is going to be and still not necessarily have them as a majority ownership interest.

Your idea about the minority $1 million owners is very interesting. There could be something to that.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
So far so good. KJ is starting to look like a genius. He's probably working the phones with guys like Webb and Barkley and others in the media, as well as calling up the owners of the league to lobby for Sacto. The more he gets TNT and ESPN personalities behind him it's that much more difficult for the NBA to go against Sacto.

Burkle has major professional sports ownership experience, not something the Seattle group has (to my knowledge). Could be another added plus to the package.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
This article is interesting, if only for its premise: (link)

The premise of the article? That STA is not going to be a part of the Hansen sale.

I think we've all been operating under the assumption (I certainly have) that STA was necessarily going to be a part of the sale. Not that Hansen would actually want STA, just that it's so tightly tied up in the Kings that it would have to go along with. For instance, on top of the arena itself, a $25M stake in the Kings also acts as collateral on the city loan we've talked so much about. The Maloofs can't be stupid enough to sell off their collateral on an outstanding loan, can they? (OK, I guess they can.) But what happens, legally, if you try to do that? I have no idea, but I do know that it would make it only that much easier for the Brothers Snake to walk away from STA and leave the city of Sacramento holding the bag, which they obviously would be all too happy to do anyway.

Given that David Stern has been adamant in the past that he would not allow an NBA team to default on debt obligations to cities (for good reason - the NBA needs to assure cities it will hold up its end of the bargain), and given that if STA were not part of the sale the Maloofs (no longer under the auspices of the NBA to hold them to their debts) would obviously default...wouldn't failure to include STA as a part of the sale be cause for immediate rejection of the deal by the BOG? Since the logical conclusion of approving the sale is a default of money borrowed under the auspices of the NBA...that seems a no-brainer.

I don't really know, but that certainly seems like an interesting legal wrinkle that could also help keep the Kings in town, if, as the KCRA article assumes, STA is not a part of the deal.

This article is interesting, if only for its premise: (link)

The premise of the article? That STA is not going to be a part of the Hansen sale.

I think we've all been operating under the assumption (I certainly have) that STA was necessarily going to be a part of the sale. Not that Hansen would actually want STA, just that it's so tightly tied up in the Kings that it would have to go along with. For instance, on top of the arena itself, a $25M stake in the Kings also acts as collateral on the city loan we've talked so much about. The Maloofs can't be stupid enough to sell off their collateral on an outstanding loan, can they? (OK, I guess they can.) But what happens, legally, if you try to do that? I have no idea, but I do know that it would make it only that much easier for the Brothers Snake to walk away from STA and leave the city of Sacramento holding the bag, which they obviously would be all too happy to do anyway.

Given that David Stern has been adamant in the past that he would not allow an NBA team to default on debt obligations to cities (for good reason - the NBA needs to assure cities it will hold up its end of the bargain), and given that if STA were not part of the sale the Maloofs (no longer under the auspices of the NBA to hold them to their debts) would obviously default...wouldn't failure to include STA as a part of the sale be cause for immediate rejection of the deal by the BOG? Since the logical conclusion of approving the sale is a default of money borrowed under the auspices of the NBA...that seems a no-brainer.

I don't really know, but that certainly seems like an interesting legal wrinkle that could also help keep the Kings in town, if, as the KCRA article assumes, STA is not a part of the deal.
I would think the arena and land would be part of the $525 valuation. I don't see how it would not be part of the sale since they don't own the whole stake in the team. Would the minority owners still own 35% of the arena and land?

Interesting article on the bee on the CA legislature and Steinberg putting pressure on Microsoft and the NBA.

California is a rich market for any multinational corporation. Microsoft is no exception. The suburban Seattle company won a $50.5 million contract in 2010 to provide email service for 200,000 California state employees, beating the California-grown Google.As Senate leader, Steinberg could suggest that a budget subcommittee review the contract. No company wants to answer a politician's impertinent questions in a public setting.

Microsoft has a significant lobby operation in Sacramento, and sponsored a bill last year intended to protect Microsoft products from what it called theft. California-based Google, Apple and Hewlett-Packard opposed it, and the bill stalled. Microsoft probably shouldn't bother to have it reintroduced this year, given that presidents pro tem can kill any bill.

The NBA lobbies in Sacramento, too. Last year, it tried to shape a bill that could have cut workers' compensation costs. Such a measure could re-emerge this year.

So the idea is for Microsoft's board to put pressure on Ballmer to back out.

They could also come up with some new taxes for sports teams like say taxing on a TV contract. Hello Lakers !

Why do people keep including relocation fees and relocation costs in the $525 MM sale price?

That doesn't make any sense. You buy at team for $XXX, then the league imposes a relocation fee and then you have to pay for all the relocation costs (physical moving, rebranding, etc.)

Why do people keep including relocation fees and relocation costs in the $525 MM sale price?

That doesn't make any sense. You buy at team for $XXX, then the league imposes a relocation fee and then you have to pay for all the relocation costs (physical moving, rebranding, etc.)
Good question. I don't think anyone knows the terms of the Seattle deal, do they? other than the 525 number

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

That is my thinking. After all, the $525 million figure is simply a valuation of the entire franchise. That has nothing to do with moving costs. And how could they even make provisions for the relocation costs when the relocation fee is set at the discretion of the BOG?

And of course, while it makes for a nice figure for the lazy media to run with (and they have) that $525 million has yet to actually be broken down. The closest anyone has gotten is doing the math that the Maloofs own 65% and are therefore "getting" $340 million. That can't be correct. First off, the $77 million owned on STA must be accounted for. Stern has said as much. That immediately brings the figure down to $447 million which would make the Maloof's share $291 million. But even that assumes that the Hansen/Ballmer group are willing to take on the existing debt on the team (rumored to be between $100 and $200 million to the NBA) and not account for that in the valuation of the team. Really? How does that make sense? The sale price of the team SHOULD be the estimated value minus the existing debt. And that doesn't account for reports that the Maloofs would retain a small stake in the team which would reduce their payout by the percentage of the team they are retaining.

I'd be very curious to know exactly what the Maloofs would gain if this deal goes through, but those exact numbers will likely never be public.

By my logic the team is valued at $525 million. Assuming $125 million in debt that takes it to $400 million. $77 million for STA makes it $323 million. Assuming the Maloofs get a 5% stake it means they are selling 60% of that which would make their gain $194 million. Again, I have no idea what the actual numbers are or if I'm figuring this correctly, but it makes sense to me. Also shows why they were asking for such a high sale price. They needed it to make a sale worthwhile to them financially. It also explains why KJ is targeting a $450 million or so valuation of the team. Without the repayment to the city it is equivalent to the $525 million figure.

So I take reports talking about $525 million and "relocation fees" with huge grains of salt. The people reporting them know less about the actual situation than people on this board do.

Last edited:

Because that's how they wrote up the contract. It's all included in the valuation.

The valuation includes a number that has yet to be set? That's not possible. Also, why would the relocation fees and costs go to the maloofs, that also makes no sense.

That is my thinking. After all, the $525 million figure is simply a valuation of the entire franchise. That has nothing to do with moving costs. And how could they even make provisions for the relocation costs when the relocation fee is set at the discretion of the BOG?

And of course, while it makes for a nice figure for the lazy media to run with (and they have) that $525 million has yet to actually be broken down. The closest anyone has gotten is doing the math that the Maloofs own 65% and are therefore "getting" $340 million. That can't be correct. First off, the $77 million owned on STA must be accounted for. Stern has said as much. That immediately brings the figure down to $447 million which would make the Maloof's share $291 million. But even that assumes that the Hansen/Ballmer group are willing to take on the existing debt on the team (rumored to be between $100 and $200 million to the NBA) and not account for that in the valuation of the team. Really? How does that make sense? The sale price of the team SHOULD be the estimated value minus the existing debt. And that doesn't account for reports that the Maloofs would retain a small stake in the team which would reduce their payout by the percentage of the team they are retaining.

I'd be very curious to know exactly what the Maloofs would gain if this deal goes through, but those exact numbers will likely never be public.

By my logic the team is valued at $525 million. Assuming $125 million in debt that takes it to $400 million. $77 million for STA makes it $323 million. Assuming the Maloofs get a 5% stake it means they are selling 60% of that which would make their gain $194 million. Again, I have no idea what the actual numbers are or if I'm figuring this correctly, but it makes sense to me. Also shows why they were asking for such a high sale price. They needed it to make a sale worthwhile to them financially. It also explains why KJ is targeting a $450 million or so valuation of the team. Without the repayment to the city it is equivalent to the $525 million figure.

So I take reports talking about $525 million and "relocation fees" with huge grains of salt. The people reporting them know less about the actual situation than people on this board do.
Oh I agree. There is more than meets the eye on what is going on here. Bottom line is how much are the maloofs getting in the deal? That's the only number we need to match or beat.

The valuation includes a number that has yet to be set? That's not possible. Also, why would the relocation fees and costs go to the maloofs, that also makes no sense.
Never said it made sense. They included an estimated $30 million relocation fee. The whole point was to get the sale value to look like $525 million. When in fact it's really more like $340.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Never said it made sense. They included an estimated $30 million relocation fee. The whole point was to get the sale value to look like $525 million. When in fact it's really more like $340.
I think you're confused on this. The $525M is the valuation of 100% of the franchise. Hansen is apparently trying to buy 65% of the franchise, and thus is paying about $340M. Relocation fees and the city loan (if STA is included in the deal) are above and beyond that.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I think you're confused on this. The $525M is the valuation of 100% of the franchise. Hansen is apparently trying to buy 65% of the franchise, and thus is paying about $340M. Relocation fees and the city loan (if STA is included in the deal) are above and beyond that.
This is my understanding as well. But nothing has been clarified in any detail, just the way MSE wants it.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
Supposedly the Maloof's business partner, Hernreich, owns 10% so that would lower the final amount to the Maloofs even more.

In putting together a competitive offer does it make sense to bid more than Hansen/Ballmer's offer? It seems not since any extra would just go to the Maloofs and it's up to the BOG to decide to reject the Seattle offer, not to make more money for the Maloofs. I suppose it looks bad in the court of public opinion if a larger bid is ignored.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
So if thats correct, then any offer over 340 million by local investors would exceed the offer by Hansen? Or at least thats the best guess. What about the money owed to the NBA, or does that come out of the Maloofs profit?

So if thats correct, then any offer over 340 million by local investors would exceed the offer by Hansen? Or at least thats the best guess. What about the money owed to the NBA, or does that come out of the Maloofs profit?

You would have to assume that the 340 number would have to pay off the percentage of the loan that was owed my the sale percentage. I can't imagine the NBA would allow a team to be sold and still carry over 100MM in debt. Obviously the city loan would need to be paid off as well.

Jared Dudley knows whats up!

Jared Dudley ‏@JaredDudley619
I hope Sac gets to keep there team here!!! But I do think its time for a new arena lol.. I would love to see Seattle get an expansion team!

heres some great stuff

Can the NBA afford to walk away from this market? Let the numbers do the talking:

1985-86 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 48%, Kings 100%
1986-87 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 50%, Kings 100%
1987-88 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 69%, Kings 100%
1988-89 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 74%, Kings 100%
1989-90 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 70%, Kings 100%
1990-91 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 71%, Kings 100%
1991-92 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 82%, Kings 100%
1992-93 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 89%, Kings 100%
1993-94 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 85%, Kings 100%
1994-95 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 90%, Kings 100%
1995-96 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 100%, Kings 100%
1996-97 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 100%, Kings 100%
1997-98 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 100%, Kings 85%
1998-99 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 100%, Kings 96%
1999-00 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 87%, Kings 100%
2000-01 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 91%, Kings 100%
2001-02 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 90%, Kings 100%
2002-03 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 91%, Kings 100%
2003-04 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 89%, Kings 100%
2004-05 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 96%, Kings 100%
2005-06 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 94%, Kings 100%
2006-07 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 93%, Kings 100%
2007-08 Percentage of Seats Sold: Sonics 79%, Kings 81%

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think you can stipulate in the contract who the managing partner (controlling team operations) is going to be and still not necessarily have them as a majority ownership interest.
Yes. As a matter of fact, the managing partner doesn't even have to own any part of the team. It will be interesting to see who manages this team. I cannot imagine a genuine whale backing off and letting someone else run the team much less one out of 5. We'll see because that's their problem and my problem seems to have been solved. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.