Thar she blows! We've got Burkle!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
but i thought they are leaning towards a Downtown Plaza arena now instead of the railyards (which is what the current deal on the table is for)
Nope. Different people.

NOTE: Sorry for the temporary confusion. I just had to create a new thread when the whale was spotted in the Sacramento River. ;)

These thread locks are annoying. About a half dozen and the old ones keep getting locked and new ones started, makes it hard to keep track of where posts are as we have to bounce around to multiple places.

Anyways, I could see Ellison getting in on this deal too. He has wanted a team for a long time and although he has the money, he has had no luck getting his foot in the door. Being a partial owner might get him in and then he can buy full ownership down the line.

L

LWP777

Wow! This is fantastic news. If this all pans out I don't see how the NBA can say "NO" to this without taking a HUGE political hit. I think Seattle is getting the expansion franchise and we are keeping our Kings. Oh, and the Malgoofs are OUT!

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
but i thought they are leaning towards a Downtown Plaza arena now instead of the railyards (which is what the current deal on the table is for)
OK, the Railyards deal should be pretty much good to go. I think the city council would have to vote again, but that would be a slam-dunk with a team like Burkle, etc., as owners and a commitment to stay.

I don't know what the situation would be at the Plaza. I don't know if we have time to put those wheels in motion at this time to get BOG approval. Maybe agree to the Railyards with an option to change to Plaza in the future if agreements can be worked out?

But that is just getting ugly and unnecessarily confusing/convoluted with a rapidly evolving situation and upcoming BOG meeting. I don't see how that would work on such short notice. The Railyards have gone through all the studies, etc. at this point and the Plaza has not. That I know of!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
These thread locks are annoying. About a half dozen and the old ones keep getting locked and new ones started, makes it hard to keep track of where posts are as we have to bounce around to multiple places.

Anyways, I could see Ellison getting in on this deal too. He has wanted a team for a long time and although he has the money, he has had no luck getting his foot in the door. Being a partial owner might get him in and then he can buy full ownership down the line.
Sorry, but having massive traffic on long threads is tough on the server, according to our board owner. What we're doing is breaking the thread at a natural point and creating a new one. That means everything is chronological. There isn't a duplication. Our server doesn't slow down and create more problems.

I think it is great that the NBA guys will have many many weeks to mull the scenario of adding an expansion team in order to get new arenas and deep-pocket owners in BOTH cities. If it was my league with my dollars on the line, I would absolutely expand. If the BOG has time to let that bake and campaign a little behind the scenes... well that would be a glorious moment for the NBA... save Sacramento's team AND restore the Sonics AND get rid of the Maloofs. I hope that idea is being kicked around in high places right now.

Wow! This is fantastic news. If this all pans out I don't see how the NBA can say "NO" to this without taking a HUGE political hit. I think Seattle is getting the expansion franchise and we are keeping our Kings. Oh, and the Malgoofs are OUT!
thats what im thinking. if we have a competitive matching $ offer, billionaire owners like Burkle and Mastrov, and a approved arena deal, how the hell do they turn that down??

the only thing they can say is "well we dont want to say no to sales so were not gonna cancel the sale that was already agreed on"

I think it is great that the NBA guys will have many many weeks to mull the scenario of adding an expansion team in order to get new arenas and deep-pocket owners in BOTH cities. If it was my league with my dollars on the line, I would absolutely expand. If the BOG has time to let that bake and campaign a little behind the scenes... well that would be a glorious moment for the NBA... save Sacramento's team AND restore the Sonics AND get rid of the Maloofs. I hope that idea is being kicked around in high places right now.
Sacramento keeps Kings, Expansion team for Seattle, Maloofs Banished to be never heard of again...that would be a story book ending that everyone should wish for!

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
OK, the Railyards deal should be pretty much good to go. I think the city council would have to vote again, but that would be a slam-dunk with a team like Burkle, etc., as owners and a commitment to stay.

I don't know what the situation would be at the Plaza. I don't know if we have time to put those wheels in motion at this time to get BOG approval. Maybe agree to the Railyards with an option to change to Plaza in the future if agreements can be worked out?

But that is just getting ugly and unnecessarily confusing/convoluted with a rapidly evolving situation and upcoming BOG meeting. I don't see how that would work on such short notice. The Railyards have gone through all the studies, etc. at this point and the Plaza has not. That I know of!
I read somewhere a few weeks ago that plans were already drawn up for an arena in the downtown plaza. Wish I remember where I saw that.

Edit: Never mind, it was a feasibility study by JMA/AECOM.

Last edited:
The Maloofs still have to agree to sell to Burkle and company, right? Can't they just say no and keep the Seattle deal just to pee all of us off? Would they really do that if the Sac deal is 10x better though?

The Maloofs still have to agree to sell to Burkle and company, right? Can't they just say no and keep the Seattle deal just to pee all of us off? Would they really do that if the Sac deal is 10x better though?
They really have no choice if the BOG rejects the Seattle sale...

I'd still like to see the league at an even 32 though. Vancouver has shown renewed interest in coming back as well. Maybe bring both NW markets back into the league in one fell swoop.

no wonder Seattle people are so angry. im watching how amazing Kevin Durant is right now. just thinking, wow Seattle fans must be so heated watching this guy knowing that this was their team

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Per Amick:

But Sacramento mayor and former NBA point guard Kevin Johson has been told by commissioner David Stern that he still has a chance to save his team if he can provide the funds to compete with the Seattle offer as well as a viable arena plan and present both to the Board of Governors.

I said it before and I will say it again...... it will not be easy to move this team. Everything has been planned for but not finalized.. ony because the old ownership insisted the team was not for sale. Until they insisted the team is sold...this is shady stuff. The arena deal is here waiting for ownership to sign on and commit to Sacramento Stern has made sure AEG is still on board. All that need be is a competitive local offer. At this point I don't see how the local offer will not be for more money than the already signed binding unchangeable agreement that is awaiting approval. Offers are approved by the league.. and offers for more money are better for the league.. its the green road that will pave the way. We won't even get into the fact that minority ownership does not want to budge, or the city loan, or the relocation expense, or the legal support, or the state govt support.....or the fact that the best most loyal fan base (two longest and most impressive sellout streaks in league history) and a team history that goes back to Rochester is at stake.
I am a Kings fan and I approve this message

Last edited:
I read somewhere a few weeks ago that plans were already drawn up for an arena in the downtown plaza. Wish I remember where I saw that.
If this goes in our favor, I'm sure it will be Railyards not Downtown Plaza. Railyards are totally set and ready plus easy access for the massive construction armada. Downtown Plaza is terrible to access for such large trucks, tons of equipment, in project of this size. Most of the constuction at DP would probably have to be at night or at least ship ins over night - slower more difficult project to complete. Feasible yes, but Railyards more shovel ready and best for on time completion.

Agreed, but I do know one thing. AECOM was hired to do the site planning for the railyards. They only worked a few weeks before being stopped when the Maloofs pulled out. JMA has done unspecified amount of DTP site research already right after buying the property last August. Who did JMA hire to do that work? AECOM. Accident or proper guidance from the city?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It would seem so but if they turn this down, the BOG doesn't have to agree with whatever deal they have cooking. Besides, money is money and why shouldn't they be willing to skulk out of Sacramento with their bills paid?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member

Edit: Never mind, it was a feasibility study by JMA/AECOM.
Yeah, I read about the feasibility study but that is very preliminary-type stuff (as I am sure you know).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Carmichael Dave tweeted this picture of David Stern when he learned Ron Burkle and Mark Matrov are teaming up:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.