Talk about Brockman (split from the welcome thread)

At least we may have a Hustle player thats going to bring it everyday in practice and beat some toughness into this team. I meen what more can you ask for from you 12-14th player on the roster. If he can be a leader at practice and set the entensity tone I'm thinking he may be more useful then some people think.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm using shotblokcing there as a shorthand for: every kid in college could go right over him and now he will be face to face with most NBA bigs' jocks. I like hustle. I like rebounding. I lie attempts to get tougher. But toguher is irrelevant if you come on the floor and the other team targets you the same way they do our soft little SG. If he can't defend his position he has no use on a winning team. Maybe he can beat some toughness into Spencer in practice or something.
There's very little difference between Brockman and Kevin Love when it comes to defense. Now on offense, that's an entirely different story. Like Love, Brockman can rebound the heck out of the ball, but can't come close to Love with his shooting range and passing ability.

....I just don't think Brockman will make the team.
Did they draft him to be Hawes' roomate?

No, he'll make the team, although I don't know how much he'll play if and when they re-sign Ike Diogu. Still, the good thing about a guy like Brockman is whether he plays 5 minutes or 50 minutes, while he's out there he's going to rebound like crazy. He's exactly the kind of player you want to come in for a 4-5 minute stretch if you're getting pounded on the glass, which since having Spencer and Thompson start we haven't all that often, but still.

The DX summary on Brockman seems to put him all in perspective. Check it out:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jon-Brockman-1168/

I like his pick in late 2nd. A Matt Harpring type who can rebound, score, hustle and bang with anyone.
That's exactly who he reminds me of, Matt Harpring.

If he does get cut, I bet he is going to be the guy during the Summer League and training camp that all the Kings fans love but gets cut anyway because their isn't enough room on the roster.

That's exactly who he reminds me of, Matt Harpring.

If he does get cut, I bet he is going to be the guy during the Summer League and training camp that all the Kings fans love but gets cut anyway because their isn't enough room on the roster.
Just the opposite. He will make the roster because we need 13 guys and he will be #13.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If Brockman was 7'2" it would be one thing.

He's 6'7".

In the entire college year last year he blocked 4 shots. Total. In college.
If Brockman was 7'2" he would have been picked in the top 5 picks. I actualy like the guy. Its hard not to like him when you watch him play. He's tough and a terrific rebounder. You'll know at the end of the game that you played against him by the bruises on your body. He is the perfect overacheiver.

But, he's not 7'2", and he's not the greatest athlete in the world. I suppose that if someone like Madson can find his nitch in the league, then so can Brockman. I wouldn't be surprised to see an undrafted free agent come in and beat him out of a roster spot.

If Brockman was 7'2" he would have been picked in the top 5 picks. I actualy like the guy. Its hard not to like him when you watch him play. He's tough and a terrific rebounder. You'll know at the end of the game that you played against him by the bruises on your body. He is the perfect overacheiver.

But, he's not 7'2", and he's not the greatest athlete in the world. I suppose that if someone like Madson can find his nitch in the league, then so can Brockman. I wouldn't be surprised to see an undrafted free agent come in and beat him out of a roster spot.
So your saying he's "Rudy". We can chant that in garbage time to get him in the game for 1 play.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
David Lee is a much better comparison than Ostertag (although the Lee comparison isn't that accurate either). Hrrmm.. For those who haven't seen him he is a scrappy "poor mans" mix of Troy Murphy, and David Lee.. He can provide energy from the bench and get you excellent per48 stats (although he's not a player you want to leave in for 48 minutes). He's a smart kid, and knows his limitations.
I would compare him to a bigger and even nastier version of Najera, with the hustle of Mark Madson.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The times I watched Brockman I was impressed with his tenacity while rebounding. He literally doesn't stop on the offensive glass (until the taller, more athletic guy snatches it away), but really, he does go after it and has good timing and guys bounce off of him.

And that's about it for Brockman...
Anyone trying to snatch the ball away from him will probably lose his hand.:rolleyes:

Dennis Rodman was 6'6' (some say 6'8') and one of the best rebounders in the history of the game - led the NBA in rebounds per game for a record seven consecutive years. Was freakishly athletic as well. Brockman will never be a Rodman, but may surprise at least with the rebounding apsect of his game.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rodman also had a big wingspan and pogo stick legs.

That said, I like Brockman. Michael "The Animal" Smith version 2.0

I predict he'll become a fan favorite. Or maybe I just have a soft spot for guys that hustle and scrap. He was actually a guy I was hoping we'd target if he went undrafted, but I'm fine with him at 38.

Paul Harris is another scrapper I like and he DID go undrafted. If Petrie scoops him up we'd dominated the summer league in terms of floor burns and bruises handed out.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Dennis Rodman was 6'6' (some say 6'8') and one of the best rebounders in the history of the game - led the NBA in rebounds per game for a record seven consecutive years. Was freakishly athletic as well. Brockman will never be a Rodman, but may surprise at least with the rebounding apsect of his game.
Please please please do not make that comparison.

Please.