Steven Adams?

I was just browsing around and came across these links:

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...e37OvdJSZGeqslTB8cSjmLviV4pCA6_TAyxL0Gozw2_WQ

https://www.reddit.com/user/nba/comments/bgc53p/bill_simmons_the_guy_they_are_going_to_have_to/

They seem like more opinion pieces than anything, but was wondering what people's thoughts were on him. He's definitely a bruiser and rebounder (would probably be higher if he didn't just box out for Westbrook). I feel like he could be a strong inside presence. He seems like he has a good BB IQ, good locker room presence, and is in his mid/l/ate 20s.

Not sure if his contract amount/length is good for our timeline though.

Thoughts?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
like Drummond, Hassan Whiteside, DeAndre Jordan, etc. Adams fits in the same mold of a 90s center that just isn't a great fit to play in this era and there is a reason he would be the piece going out, OKC should go after Willie to be honest.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I was just browsing around and came across these links:

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...e37OvdJSZGeqslTB8cSjmLviV4pCA6_TAyxL0Gozw2_WQ

https://www.reddit.com/user/nba/comments/bgc53p/bill_simmons_the_guy_they_are_going_to_have_to/

They seem like more opinion pieces than anything, but was wondering what people's thoughts were on him. He's definitely a bruiser and rebounder (would probably be higher if he didn't just box out for Westbrook). I feel like he could be a strong inside presence. He seems like he has a good BB IQ, good locker room presence, and is in his mid/l/ate 20s.

Not sure if his contract amount/length is good for our timeline though.

Thoughts?
You might just as well resign Kofus. You get much the same thing for a lot less money and a full set of chromosomes to go with it.

Maybe a S&T with WCS for Adams could be something to work out. Thunder save a massive amount of money off the Adams contract from their luxury tax bill (assuming, WCS is like 10-13 mil) and get a big that theoretically works well with PG and Russ. Shakes up their roster that seems to be in a desperate need of shaking up. Can include a few 2nds to bring the value a bit closer.

We get the better C and the best part is he's only inked for 2 years, when Fox and Giles need to get an extension.

Last edited:
Maybe a S&T with WCS for Adams could be something to work out. Thunder save a massive amount of money off the Adams contract from their luxury tax bill (assuming, WCS is like 10-13 mil) and get a big that theoretically works well with PG and Russ.

We get the better C and the best part is he's only inked for 2 years, when Fox and Giles need to get an extension.

This might actually be a trade that works out really well for both sides. The Thunder HAVE to do something this offseason or things are going to blow up there. This could free up some cash for a shooter which they definitely need. WCS would probably thrive there and the Kings would get some rebounding, grit and a good locker room guy to boot.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Maybe a S&T with WCS for Adams could be something to work out. Thunder save a massive amount of money off the Adams contract from their luxury tax bill (assuming, WCS is like 10-13 mil) and get a big that theoretically works well with PG and Russ.

You stole my thunder, a little play on words there. I'm not sure that Adams is the perfect fit for our team, but he certainly would be a slight upgrade down low with defense in the paint, and rebounding, although his rebounding numbers aren't significantly better than Willie's. Here's the thing. Most people would be alright paying Willie around 12 mil a year. I think he would settle for around 15 mil a year, I'll leave it up to the Kings to decide whether he's worth that amount. But you would be paying Adams an additional 11 mil a year, with not that much of an increase in production. Adams scored About one point and one and half rebounds more than Willie.

True, Adams was probably more consistent from game to game, but both players have their pluses and minuses. Personally, I don't think Adams pluses are worth an additional 11 mil a year. At 26 mil a year, I'd rather be paying someone like Vucevic. For big money, I want a big player, otherwise, I rather settle for a Dwayne Dedmon or make and offer for Ivica Zubac who is only 22 years old, but a restricted FA. Or how about Thomas Bryant, also a restricted FA, whose per 36 numbers are 18.9 ppg, 11.2 rpg, and 1.6 blks per game.

None of these guys are perfect, but they could bridge the gap until we got the guy we wanted. Both Thomas Bryant and Bobby Portis are on the Wizards who are already in salary cap hell. I suspect they wouldn't match an substantial offer. Zubac is on the Clippers who are planning on going after a couple of big name freeagents. It's possible they wouldn't match an offer if its right out of the gate. All these players made chump change last season. Dedmon made 7.2 mil last season, so you would likely be talking somewhere between 10 and 12 mil a year to get him.

Maybe a S&T with WCS for Adams could be something to work out. Thunder save a massive amount of money off the Adams contract from their luxury tax bill (assuming, WCS is like 10-13 mil) and get a big that theoretically works well with PG and Russ. Shakes up their roster that seems to be in a desperate need of shaking up. Can include a few 2nds to bring the value a bit closer.

I wouldn’t mind Adams. But if wcs can be signed for that 10-13 million range. It might be better to keep him

You stole my thunder, a little play on words there. I'm not sure that Adams is the perfect fit for our team, but he certainly would be a slight upgrade down low with defense in the paint, and rebounding, although his rebounding numbers aren't significantly better than Willie's. Here's the thing. Most people would be alright paying Willie around 12 mil a year. I think he would settle for around 15 mil a year, I'll leave it up to the Kings to decide whether he's worth that amount. But you would be paying Adams an additional 11 mil a year, with not that much of an increase in production. Adams scored About one point and one and half rebounds more than Willie.

True, Adams was probably more consistent from game to game, but both players have their pluses and minuses. Personally, I don't think Adams pluses are worth an additional 11 mil a year. At 26 mil a year, I'd rather be paying someone like Vucevic. For big money, I want a big player, otherwise, I rather settle for a Dwayne Dedmon or make and offer for Ivica Zubac who is only 22 years old, but a restricted FA. Or how about Thomas Bryant, also a restricted FA, whose per 36 numbers are 18.9 ppg, 11.2 rpg, and 1.6 blks per game.

None of these guys are perfect, but they could bridge the gap until we got the guy we wanted. Both Thomas Bryant and Bobby Portis are on the Wizards who are already in salary cap hell. I suspect they wouldn't match an substantial offer. Zubac is on the Clippers who are planning on going after a couple of big name freeagents. It's possible they wouldn't match an offer if its right out of the gate. All these players made chump change last season. Dedmon made 7.2 mil last season, so you would likely be talking somewhere between 10 and 12 mil a year to get him.
Kings should test the waters on Vucevic but i wouldnt be sad to see the kings pass on maxing him and instead going for a value at the center spot that gets the job done at reasonable cost.

I like Adams, hassan, and Jordan BUT i dont like paying over 20mil for a 90s style center.

There is a long list of solid skilled bigs that provide what we need at good value.

Id prefer the kings prioritize and spend extra money to create a potent bench. Go after a top backup pg and and SF that also have upside.

Then get fill the center spot witb 2 solid options that dont break the bank

Off top of my head

Zubac
Dedmon
McGee
Valaciunious
Bryant
Holmes
Jordan
Whiteside
Vonleh
Lopez
Willie

The list is big with not a significant difference imo amongst the group with some skill sets more in favor of what we want.

In short, we dont need to trade and pay Adams 30mill a year to fill the void

I have a feeling Adams' rebounding numbers would go up without Westbrook out there getting 10 a game. Plus he's an offensive rebounding force. I'm not sure if he's worth the extra money either but if the Kings can't sign anyone else worthwhile then the extra money would be better than random players off the scrap heap.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I have a feeling Adams' rebounding numbers would go up without Westbrook out there getting 10 a game. Plus he's an offensive rebounding force. I'm not sure if he's worth the extra money either but if the Kings can't sign anyone else worthwhile then the extra money would be better than random players off the scrap heap.
Excellent point about Westbrook. Many of Westbrooks rebounds come with Adams doing the blocking out. It's the price that bothers me. If we can get Vucevic it would be for around the same amount of money and he far more versatile than Adams. More bang for the buck. We could likely get DeAndre Jordan far cheaper and he's a better rim protector than Adams, who is not a shotblocker, and just as good, if not a better rebounder than Adams

Excellent point about Westbrook. Many of Westbrooks rebounds come with Adams doing the blocking out. It's the price that bothers me. If we can get Vucevic it would be for around the same amount of money and he far more versatile than Adams. More bang for the buck. We could likely get DeAndre Jordan far cheaper and he's a better rim protector than Adams, who is not a shotblocker, and just as good, if not a better rebounder than Adams
I'm with you on all that. I'd check in with Vucevic first and then DeAndre next. Dedmon and those guys are decent consolation prizes but they're fringe starters. O'Bryant I'd go for regardless since he has a ton of young potential and should come cheap. Could be our Holmes/Harrell type off the bench.

In the end I'm rooting for Giles to become the guy but the team needs to have insurance in case he doesn't.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I actually like the idea of bringing in DeAndre on either a very short contract (1 year) or longer contract structured to make him a tradable asset in the future. It looks to me like Giles is the future starting 5 on the team but it would be nice to give him another year playing big min off the bench behind a legit starter who can rebound, and attack the rack. I am concerned about his age and wear and tear on the legs affecting his mobility. Having bigs that hustle on the court and able to play at the break neck pace the team has developed is crucial now. Any center we bring in has to be able to keep up. Despite other deficiencies that is the one thing WCS brings. I am fine with moving on but not slowing down.

yeah agreed. Wouldn't be my first option, but I do think something we could consider and "Keep on the list". One thing to note is Adams is only that 2 year contract, while Vuc would be a max deal and tie into our money we're saving for a rainy day when everyone gets paid a few years down the line.

Taking a shot at one of the RFA bigs, Zubac or Bryant is super appealing to me. Clippers aren't going to want to commit big money to Zubac right away with their dreams of bringing at least 1 stud FA in. Wizards obviously in cap hell and aren't going to be good, so maybe something could happen there. Both guys would be excellent in a platoon with Giles and have shown potential on both ends. Also think someone like Jordan Bell, Richaun Holmes or Nerlens Noel would be excellent options to bring off as a the 3rd big or potential part-time starter.

Think it all depends on Giles and how soon the team wants to commit to him. If they think he'll be ready this season or a little later on in the year, then I don't think you commit the huge money to Vuc and spend those dollars elsewhere. Because if you bring in Vuc, you're committing to him as a building block piece where Giles and Bagley would be put on the back-burner a bit in terms of pecking order.

Yeah I wasn’t talking trade. Guy said even if he was free agent that wouldn’t have any money to sign him
Guy said, "Even if he was available, we have no salary we really want to give up for him."

Which means there is no salary we'd be willing to trade for him, doesn't mention anything about available assets.