Star Telegram reports that Artest has opted out

Hi,

long time lurker. Just thought I'll post that the star telegraph has reported that artest opted out last friday. Was looking through the forums and didn't see any mention of this.

There a number of players who could interest the Mavs, including possibly Kings forward Ron Artest, who opted out of his contract Friday and would have to agree to a significant pay cut.

Mavs coach Rick Carlisle coached Artest at Indiana and has said he’d welcome him in Dallas.
http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/731006.html

Seems like he's going to opt out:

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/013542.html

Artest: "I never knew so many teams would be coming after me. All I can say is I made a hundred degree turnaround."

if you look, sam posted another article titled artest satying? his agent called the bee to tell him they werent going to opt out, then later artest emailed again saying himself he was staying with the kings. take it for what its worth, but i guess we will find out by 9 PM...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Egads -- another one of these reports.

But rather than an assumption this time, I think this may just be a flat out mistake. Its stated as fact, but it says he opted out on FRIDAY, and unless he and the Kings are keeping things very secret, even from the local media, I do not see how we would not have heard about that, or how Ailene publishes her article in the Bee today or anything else. You have to file those things wiht league offices too so anybody could check (although maybe they are closed on weekends).

Anyway just not at all sure how/why a Dallas reporter would be the only guy to know this several days since it is alleged to have happened.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Artest and Cuban in the same state??? I don't think so. And take a decrease in $$ to play for the mavs?? Not likely now. They are on a downward spiral and RonRon doesn't help them get to conf finals.

I agree with Brick, if RonRon had indeed opted out Friday it would be all over the media from coast-to-coast. HOWEVER.............. if he does opt out today, he would do so to be part of a sign-and-trade at bigger bucks in the $10M range. Question is, what team on the contender bubble goes to the finals with RonRon? In the east Cavs maybe or maybe Magic. Knicks need big rework and 2-3 years to get into the final 4 back east no matter what they do. 'Course they do have David Lee a rebounding SF who averages 10 pts....but that would mean Salmons loses and I don't see that. And with Jason/Mikki/Shelden at the 4, where does Lee now fit?

In the west, GP has no history of dealing with teams in own division (Lakers, Warriors, Suns) much less in same conference and don't see him doing that now. No, if RonRon opts out I see him at NY, NJ or Clev in a sign-and-trade.

In the west, GP has no history of dealing with teams in own division (Lakers, Warriors, Suns) much less in same conference and don't see him doing that now. No, if RonRon opts out I see him at NY, NJ or Clev in a sign-and-trade.
Bjax to Grizz
Hedo to SA

Just to name a few.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hi,

long time lurker. Just thought I'll post that the star telegraph has reported that artest opted out last friday. Was looking through the forums and didn't see any mention of this.

http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/731006.html
Welcome to the board!

I think this is all an offshoot of Artest's draft day dramatics - or 3D as I'm calling it. Shortly after Artest sent those comments to Sam Amick in an email, Amick reportedly contacted Artest's agent, Mark Stevens. Stevens, without saying so in exact words, made it pretty clear Artest HADN'T opted out.

But with Artest, of course, there's always the chance he'll change his mind 347 times before the end of the day. He could be calling moving companies right now to see about moving to Mars or he could be planning a "I'm staying!" party for his close friends and teammates. OR, if you read between the lines in Sunday's Bee article about Eric Musselman, he could be at Muss's house talking about the good ol' days.

:)

One thing you always know about Artest is that you never know anything about Artest.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If Artest doesn't opt out, we don't have to sign him. We're back in the driver's seat as we can trade him pretty much anywhere. And that actually might be more beneficial to the receiving team as they'd be able to take him for a test drive, so to speak, before committing to any additional years or $$$.

piksi

Hall of Famer
If Artest doesn't opt out, we don't have to sign him. We're back in the driver's seat as we can trade him pretty much anywhere. And that actually might be more beneficial to the receiving team as they'd be able to take him for a test drive, so to speak, before committing to any additional years or $$$.

such a deceiving word in this case

Of course, that doesn't mean that what's best for the team isn't what matters to Petrie. But I don't think you were going for accuracy with your initial remark.

We got the best player in the deal (at the time). Who cares?

Well it's not that simple. That deal was the start of the team giving up depth for a short term rush at a ring, and preparing so with Shaq in mind(who was starting his downslide). In the years to come, the lack of depth would be a problem for the Kings and Rick's refusal to use his bench an annoying reminder that the ship was sailing. Nevermind that you lost two great chemistry guys in Jackson and Pollard, and got a whiny 7 footer who wilts on the court at random and unfortunate times.

jason williams to the grizzles for mike bibby

that miller trade was horrible. Having pollard and hedo is better than having miller and I like hedo way more than peja so that trade was a just a double whammy and horrendous all the way around and we're still feeling it 4-5 years later

bajaden

Hall of Famer
no I don't...6 years of nothing tell me that
6yr's ago- 59-23 finished in 1st place in div.-Playoffs
5yr's ago- 55-27 finished in 2nd place in div.-Playoffs
4yr's ago- 50-38 finished in 2nd place in div.-Playoffs
3yr's ago- 44-38 finished in 4th place in div.-playoffs

Now that may be nothing to you, but the Warriors and a lot of other teams would have gladly traded places with us. Were we in a slow decline? Yes, but were wern't the Clippers or Atlanta, or even the Celtics. If you want to criticize management for not moving sooner than they did, fine. But don't tell me it was six years of nothing....