So the cousins trade.......

Here are a couple of links to reports on Dan Fegan. Fegan is who Vlade was dealing with and who blew up his first trade deal with NO with a promise of DMC not renewing his contract.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/darren...of-poisoning-employers-business/#1ecefe987b5a

Out take on article linked above:

"As part of his plan, Fegan set the stage for a potential mass exodus from ISE Basketball: he manipulated the company's employees and agents to give their personal loyalty to him and interfered with their ability to sign new long-term employment agreements with ISE Basketball so that he could deliver on the threat of a mass exodus," per the Complaint.

http://deadspin.com/sports-agency-ise-fires-sues-dan-fegan-hires-kevin-jo-1793186011

Out take on article above:

After firing him, ISE filed a lawsuit against Fegan on Friday in Los Angeles. The agency is seeking damages, claiming that Fegan engaged in “disloyal and unethical conduct” to place his own interests over those of the agency. The suit claims that Fegan deliberately violated his contract by competing with ISE as he continued to operate a side business under his own name and interfered with agency operations to profit himself.

Just a FYI, I believe ISE is owned by Burkle.

Link to article when Burkle took control of ISE:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...nts/Independent-Sports-and-Entertainment.aspx

Out take from article above:

Relativity Sports is now running as an Independent.

Sports investor Ron Burkle has closed an investment in the former Relativity Sports, renamed it Independent Sports and Entertainment and hired former Madison Square Garden chief Hank Ratner as the company’s new president and CEO.

Related stories:
Kentucky’s Skal Labissiere among signees for new agency

Burkle, co-owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins, and his investment partners now have a more than 50 percent ownership stake in ISE.

“We are essentially relaunching the business as a new business,” Ratner said last week.

Andrew Sasson, a British-American entrepreneur, has made an investment in ISE and will be a member of its board, whose chairman will be Burkle. Ratner, too, is investing in ISE.

Link to ISE website--> http://www.iseworldwide.com/

The teams with the assets and situations to really utilize Boogie did not want him. LA would not give up Ingram.......Ingram.
And that's one of the reasons Jim Buss was fired by his sister, because they missed out on that deal. Personally, I'm very happy the Kings didn't trade Boogie there. You don't make those kind of trades with division rivals.

Danny Ainge did not want Boogie.
This is another poor example. Ainge hasn't been willing to move his draft picks for anyone. He's a hoarder.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is another poor example. Ainge hasn't been willing to move his draft picks for anyone. He's a hoarder.
Ainge hasn't been willing to give up the farm for anyone. Indiana wanted the Nets pick AND the Lakers/Kings pick plus other assets for what could be a one year rental of Paul George. Ainge has been in a lot of talks but feels like teams see all the Celtics' assets and get overly greedy in talks.

But at least they've had talks. They reportedly showed zero interest in Cousins. They reportedly did not contact the Kings or make any offer at all. When Brad Stevens was asked if he'd like to coach Cousins he flatly said "no".

There's a difference between not meeting an asking price and having zero interest. All the evidence points to the Celtics having zero interest.

And that's one of the reasons Jim Buss was fired by his sister, because they missed out on that deal. Personally, I'm very happy the Kings didn't trade Boogie there. You don't make those kind of trades with division rivals.

There were no other teams mentioned anywhere remotely interested in DMC. So poor examples or not those are the only ones that made it to the media outlets we all read.

There's a difference between not meeting an asking price and having zero interest. All the evidence points to the Celtics having zero interest.
The Celtics are just one team. And as I said, a poor example because nobody really understands what they're doing. While I get the point you made about teams being greedy in talks with them, we also just saw Jimmy Butler moved for far less. So it's not like the Celts can't find a deal without giving away the farm.

Fact is, we really don't know how many teams were interested in Boogie. We never will. Rumors and speculation are just that. Rumors and speculation. Hell, right after the trade was made there were "rumors" that some GM's said they were never made aware DeMarcus was even available so that they could make an offer. The point is, citing 2 teams and claiming it represents the majority is misrepresenting.

What we do know for sure is that New Orleans wanted him. And we're likely to find out a bit more once he becomes a FA after this upcoming season.

Well....I actually think guys like LeBron, Kobe, Curry, Durant made their owners at least that much.
Not on a yearly basis, they didn't. And that's what we're talking about here -- 40M per. Sports franchises don't clear a ton of $$. Many of them are lucky to break even. They are a billionaires toy. Not something they are leveraging to seriously build their bank account, except for if/when they ever sell the team.

I think it was five thirty eight that calculated/estimated LeBron's value to the Cavs at over $143 million two seasons ago.
I'd like to know how that figure is quantified. My guess is that they're saying that the Cavs franchise is "valued" at 143M more than it would be if LeBron wasn't part of the organization. That's wonderful if Dan Gilbert decides to sell the team with LeBron still on the roster or decides to take out a loan using his franchise valuation for collateral. But it doesn't mean Dan Gilbert clears a huge profit at the end of each season.

Just 2 years ago Adam Silver went on record saying that a significant number of teams are losing money:

http://www.businessinsider.com/adam-silver-nba-teams-losing-money-2015-7

"I don't know the precise number and don't want to get into it, but a significant number of teams are continuing to lose money and they continue to lose money because their expenses exceed their revenue.

"Teams are spending enormous amounts of money on payroll. Some of the contracts we talked about. They still have enormous expenses in terms of arena costs. Teams are building new practice facilities. The cost of their infrastructure in terms of their sales people, marketing people, the infrastructure of the teams have gone up, and in some cases their local television is much smaller than in other markets."
While I'm sure things have greatly improved since the last TV deal was signed, the point still remains that these franchises are not huge $$ makers for the owners until they sell. A player making 40M per season is not putting that amount of cash or more back into their owners pocket. These owners are filthy rich because of the other businesses they own.

The bitter truth is that everyone in the league knew Cousins was available and if the didn't call they had no interest. The Lakers knew he was available and still didn't call, even though Jeannie Buss was upset about that.

I think we just overestimated the market value of the big guy. Players and agents talk, and the real story on a players reputation may not make it to the media. Right or wrong, the market just was not there for Cuz. I sincerely want him to win a ring one day though.

Last edited:
We essentially got 3 first round picks, most likely upgraded to Fox in what probably would have been a 9-13 type pick, and created massive cap space. When you look at the Butler and PG trades, we might have gotten the best haul out of those 3 and, in my opinion, DMC was the least attractive of those 3 players.

Bottom line is, most Kings fans greatly overvalued his trade value. We've somehow managed to completely change the structure of our team in half a season and we are now loaded with young talent. Will be fun watching how it grows in the next few years.

We essentially got 3 first round picks, most likely upgraded to Fox in what probably would have been a 9-13 type pick, and created massive cap space. When you look at the Butler and PG trades, we might have gotten the best haul out of those 3 and, in my opinion, DMC was the least attractive of those 3 players.

Bottom line is, most Kings fans greatly overvalued his trade value. We've somehow managed to completely change the structure of our team in half a season and we are now loaded with young talent. Will be fun watching how it grows in the next few years.
It could only have been the 9th or 10th pick otherwise it goes to the Bulls and then we keep our 2nd round pick which probably wouldn't have been as good as the 2nd round pick we got in return. I loved Cousins but that would've been a bleak forecast going forward.

The Celtics are just one team. And as I said, a poor example because nobody really understands what they're doing. While I get the point you made about teams being greedy in talks with them, we also just saw Jimmy Butler moved for far less. So it's not like the Celts can't find a deal without giving away the farm.

Fact is, we really don't know how many teams were interested in Boogie. We never will. Rumors and speculation are just that. Rumors and speculation. Hell, right after the trade was made there were "rumors" that some GM's said they were never made aware DeMarcus was even available so that they could make an offer. The point is, citing 2 teams and claiming it represents the majority is misrepresenting.

What we do know for sure is that New Orleans wanted him. And we're likely to find out a bit more once he becomes a FA after this upcoming season.
If I gambled, I would bet that NO gets less for him than they gave up. Much less. Will be watching with great interest.

It is hard to pull the trigger and sell a declining asset before it goes to zero. Yes no doubt there was a time in the past we could have got more for Cuz ... this is true of any declining asset. You can be paralyzed with "what-ifs" while the value keeps dropping and dropping and dropping. I'm totally on board with Vlade's decision making with respect to Cuz. Kings are so much better off now than if we had kept Boogie and maxed him.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Chicago also had to give up the 16th pick along with Butler. One of the young players they got back also averaged a minuscule 3.8 PPG. The other is coming off an ACL tear.
I don't understand including the 16th pick, but with the other two, you are basing it off potential. The Bulls GM got played any way you look at it. Which is the case at times when you trade all-star players for young players.

It could only have been the 9th or 10th pick otherwise it goes to the Bulls and then we keep our 2nd round pick which probably wouldn't have been as good as the 2nd round pick we got in return. I loved Cousins but that would've been a bleak forecast going forward.
Good point.

By shedding Cuz we basically guaranteed a top 5-10 pick.

I'm shocked I'm about to say this, but knowing how it turned out, and also seeing what Butler and George netted, I'd do the same trade again in a second. Vlade has made good on his "fire me if it doesn't work out" promise in my mind, and it's not 6 mos. out.

I have a feeling Giles is going to work out. At that point point it's going to look like a genius move.