So let's say STOP collects the needed signatures...

Just uploaded the proof we had since June on our web site with blog called Sign This Other Petition (that's what STOP stands for now).

crowndowntown.org
They used to call this a "bait and switch" tactic. Little good it will do them... Thanks Mike, and everyone at CrownDowntown for all your dedication.

Still some hurdles before it gets to the ballot.
With all we invested over the last year with this off the court stuff it would be a shame if we had to undergo another stretch of this.
Getting an arena built shouldn't take as big of a process as it has here. Virtually all top 30 markets have went through this, many multiple times

yes unless they start throwing out some of the piles.

now I'm starting to wonder if we can either tie it up in court long enough, or rush the arena bonds so they are all done before June. Hoping the developers and Kings have some serious tricks up their sleeves.

And to think this wouldn't even be happening if Chris Hansen had never tried his sneaky money crap. Guess it was worth it to him after all.

No need to panic. The city and Kings knew this was a possibility. The fight over the ballot doesn't start until the signatures have been counted. If this somehow gets on the ballot, STOP is definitely going to have to work and spend a lot more for it.

And to think this wouldn't even be happening if Chris Hansen had never tried his sneaky money crap. Guess it was worth it to him after all.
That is potentially the most difficult part of this for me besides the prospect of losing kings. Really didn't want that scumbag to get the satisfaction of causing any additional consternation here, and hopefully he wont

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
yes unless they start throwing out some of the piles.

now I'm starting to wonder if we can either tie it up in court long enough, or rush the arena bonds so they are all done before June. Hoping the developers and Kings have some serious tricks up their sleeves.
Some good points there.

I think they will wait until all the signatures are counted, just to make sure it doesn't fall flat on it's face in the last day or so on it's own. They have laid the groundwork for protesting the forms already, so I think if they get enough signatures that will be the next "bullet" fired, so to speak. I don't see how that won't work given the shoddy work STOP did with the petitions.

If for some reason it doesn't, they can argue that it isn't valid anyways due to the changes it will illegally make to the City charter. And they can get the City Council vote on the bonds done quick enough that it happens before the election would take place anyways.

I see plenty of optimism here, but it would be nice to get this swept away ASAP. Makes me nervous that it lingers on......

I am about to "move in with my niece" so I can get a city address. Same with pretty much every other one of my family members too. I am sick of STOP and I wish bad things happen to all the members and to their homes.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If for some reason it doesn't, they can argue that it isn't valid anyways due to the changes it will illegally make to the City charter.
This is really the killer here. This will never get on the ballot. If it is not DQed on the multiple technicalities we already know about, it will be DQed because the City Charter can't be changed by referendum.

The problem is that at this point, no matter which way it fails, the STOP whiners will throw a temper tantrum to every TV camera they can find, and misrepresent the facts to make themselves look good and the City look like a giant dictatorial thug who won't listen to the clarion democratic voice of the people. It will be a black eye, but it will be a black eye that we got via sucker punch after the referee already declared us the victor via TKO.

Anyone watch that channel 3 report last night? The woman from McGregor School of Law said that even if there were discrepancies that the measure would still probably get on the ballot because from what she said it's "the people trying to speak out on something they are passionate about" or something to that effect. She said in cases like the one we are dealing with they almost always get the benefit of the doubt.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Anyone watch that channel 3 report last night? The woman from McGregor School of Law said that even if there were discrepancies that the measure would still probably get on the ballot because from what she said it's "the people trying to speak out on something they are passionate about" or something to that effect. She said in cases like the one we are dealing with they almost always get the benefit of the doubt.
I don't know what would give her the impression that the law is all about warm fuzzies. This really brings to mind Walter Sobchek's great piece of wisdom about bowling: "This is not 'Nam, Smokey, there are RULES!" If the rules in bowling are important, how much more important are the rules for elections? All you have to do is look back to the numerous instances of case law that were cited in the letters to the City Clerk by The4000 and it seems evident that in previous cases with similar circumstances, judges insisted that the rules had to be followed.

Oh, but sure, let's just rather imagine that a judge is going to look at a group that has made several errors involving the regulations for petitions, and on top of that spent a good deal of their time lying about or at best obfuscating the true intent of their petition ("Sign this petition to help build a downtown arena", they said), get them into a group hug, and start singing Kum-Bay-Yah and put their illegal (can't change the City Charter by referendum) measure on the ballot so that they can have their passionate voices heard about how badly a new basketball arena will oppress them. Right.

Sounds like she quoted the line from STOP.

Encouraging tweets from the guys I follow (Kasler and Bizjak) quoting the City Clerk along the lines of "having 22K signatures does not put this on the ballot" and noting that she has sole authority to accept or reject petitions. Seems that if the clerk rejects the petition on city charter grounds or for multiple versions, there is no way the STOPPERS could legally twist her arm in time for the June ballot. I'm feeling very encouraged because we certainly have more and better lawyers on our side than they do.

huge: http://portal.cityofsacramento.org/City-Manager/Media-Releases/CityClerkPetition

MEDIA RELEASE

City Clerk Statement Regarding Ongoing Petition Signature Verification Process

Sacramento, Calif - “It is anticipated that the Sacramento County Registrar of Voters will reach the 22,000 signature verification threshold today. In my role as the City’s Elections Official, I feel compelled to remind the community that simply reaching this threshold does not conclude the petition validation process.” – Shirley Concolino, City Clerk

As the Elections Official of the City of Sacramento, the City Clerk has the responsibility and sole authority to accept or reject petitions per the CA Election Code and the Sacramento City Charter. The City has contracted with Sacramento County to validate the petition signatures. The County is the City’s agent only for the purposes of signature validation. A valid petition signature is the signature of a registered voter living within the Sacramento City limits. In light of complexity of the petitions, a full count of the signatures was requested.

The County has until January 28th to complete the full count. No later than this date, the County will present the clerk with the signature verification findings. From that point, the City Clerk as the City’s Elections Official is required to confirm that all election code and city charter requirements have been met, and only then can the petition be deemed sufficient or insufficient. The final certification of the election lies with the City’s Elections Official, the City Clerk.

huge: http://portal.cityofsacramento.org/City-Manager/Media-Releases/CityClerkPetition

MEDIA RELEASE

Sacramento, Calif - “It is anticipated that the Sacramento County Registrar of Voters will reach the 22,000 signature verification threshold today. In my role as the City’s Elections Official, I feel compelled to remind the community that simply reaching this threshold does not conclude the petition validation process.” – Shirley Concolino, City Clerk

As the Elections Official of the City of Sacramento, the City Clerk has the responsibility and sole authority to accept or reject petitions per the CA Election Code and the Sacramento City Charter. The City has contracted with Sacramento County to validate the petition signatures. The County is the City’s agent only for the purposes of signature validation. A valid petition signature is the signature of a registered voter living within the Sacramento City limits. In light of complexity of the petitions, a full count of the signatures was requested.

The County has until January 28th to complete the full count. No later than this date, the County will present the clerk with the signature verification findings. From that point, the City Clerk as the City’s Elections Official is required to confirm that all election code and city charter requirements have been met, and only then can the petition be deemed sufficient or insufficient. The final certification of the election lies with the City’s Elections Official, the City Clerk.
This sure sounds like the hammer is raised and ready to strike............ on multiple grounds.

This sure sounds like the hammer is raised and ready to strike............ on multiple grounds.
In a bad way or good way?

I don't think STOP would win a vote but at the same time I don't want them delaying anything either. That's the only thing I am worried about. Someone needs to strike this crap down ASAP.

In a bad way or good way?

I don't think STOP would win a vote but at the same time I don't want them delaying anything either. That's the only thing I am worried about. Someone needs to strike this crap down ASAP.
In a bad way or good way would depend on perspective. Me, having wanting the Kings to stay in a good way.

Now back to me and not being clear. The hammer coming down on STOP.
From that point, the City Clerk as the City’s Elections Official is required to confirm that all election code and city charter requirements have been met, and only then can the petition be deemed sufficient or insufficient. (from John Galt's post above)
Both the election code and city charter requirements are problems for STOP as has been mentioned earlier in the thread.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
In a bad way or good way would depend on perspective. Me, having wanting the Kings to stay in a good way.

Now back to me and not being clear. The hammer coming down on STOP. Both the election code and city charter requirements are problems for STOP as has been mentioned earlier in the thread.
Agreed. I think they have to verify signatures first, and then check all the different forms for compliance. I don't see how this goes past that verification step based on what we know and the media release John Galt posted. Very optimistic, but still cautiously so until we get definitive word from the City Clerk.

KJ on Facebook a bit ago..

Kevin Johnson
about an hour ago
As the City Clerk has made clear, this is merely a procedural step in part of a longer process. Based on everything we have learned: from the way the initiative was purposefully written to delay the entire project as opposed to a straight up or down vote; to the failure to disclose the chief financial contributor behind the effort; to the fact that the vast majority of the money for this initiative comes from sources opposed to Sacramento; to the issues raised about the nature of the petitions; I have serious concerns about the integrity of the process. Plain and simple - this initiative is a Trojan Horse. For Sacramento, there is a great deal at stake: 4000 jobs, transforming downtown, and keeping the Kings in Sacramento. And given what is at stake, coupled with the troubling questions related to integrity of these ballot petitions, the nature in which they were collected, and the true intent of those who are behind the effort, I believe we should take a hard look at the petitions and consider all of the available options to protect the public.

If KJ knows anyone that would be willing to speed up this process by legal or illegal means then now is the time to do it.

If KJ knows anyone that would be willing to speed up this process by legal or illegal means then now is the time to do it.
Illegal? Really, why would you give them an opportunity to get a "smoking gun?" Right now there is plenty of dirt on STOP, don't give them any to throw back. By going by the book, as frustrating as it may be, the City is dotting it's i's and crossing the t's.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Gary, I think that the grassroots (and the Mayor) are planning to take the high road here. There are multiple potential legal problems with the petition process that will allow us to win the day in court if it need go that far. We don't need to, or even want to, do anything illegal or shady. Leave that illegal and shady crap to the STOP folks, don't dare try to tempt us with it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

MEDIA RELEASE

Most important statement issued to date. Election Code is VERY SPECIFIC. The City Clerk is not going to ignore or violate it just because STOP has been vocal about being the "voice of the people." The law is the law. STOP could have done things right. The fact they didn't is not on the City or anyone else. It's on them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not gonna happen. The law ESPECIALLY the Election Code is totally clear on this issue. Any hint of irregularity on the part of KJ or anyone else would totally undo all the good that they have done. I honestly cannot believe you made this comment. :(