Smart's First Pactice

Here is a link to the Sacbee's Kings' Blog that has some really good stuff about what Smart is looking to do as coach. He has already instituted his main concepts on both sides of the floor, but will keep it basic during the games 'til they have more time to reallly instill things.

He talked a lot about spacing, running and defense. Wouldn't commit on who would start at PF saying he would base it on matchups. However, he said that JT would see a lot of time backing up Cousins and he would have to be careful not to have both of them get into foul trouble early in the game.

Whiteside was also present at the practice, but hasn't been recalled from Reno. He said that it was such a short trip that it made sense to have him there, but he will go back when the team goes on their road trip (just not enough playing time for him on the kings, and he needs playing time). He also mentioned that he is friends with the coach of the Reno Bighorns and will keep in touch so that Whiteside is learning those things that Smart wants (was glad to hear this).

http://blogs.sacbee.com/sports/kings/archives/2012/01/saturday-practi-1.html#more

sounds really positive i think he needs to get confidence in the team and get them to learn basic plays... i think you need to change your signature now ;)

Here is an extended video of both the interview which is awesome in itself, but even more so is the video of the actual practice time where the body language and smiles all around demonstrate how huge a difference this coaching change might make. I have gone from despair to truly excited with this team again. :) and Chris, I was gonna say the same thing about your sig!

http://www.news10.net/sports/article/171976/3/Smart-expectations-A-running-Kings-team

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Smart has full command of the English language and seems to have no trouble speaking to a group. Westphal was very uncomfortable. I don't think that I am the only one who would feel better about my coach if he could speak well. And then Westphal used concepts that made little sense. rainmaker quoted him from one of his last interviews where he said something like "the guys have forgotten their inner confidence" and actually the real quote made less sense then that. Now if Phil Jackson said that, the players would just think it was some zen thing and perhaps so deep that they wren't imteligent enough to understand it. When PW said it, it just made no sense.

His speaking abilities should make a difference to the players and maybe even the fans. The fact that Smart seemed almost uncontrollably excited after the first win was also good to see. Sometimes being real laid back may give the appearance that you don't care. Smart obviously was thrilled with the win. Maybe he was just relieved but it really makes no difference. The win meant a lot to him.

As a little side note, I swear Westy looked like he had aged 10 years when I watched his last interview. He was probably feeling the pressure and worn out beyond belief.

If he was coaching me, I'd play for him. This idea of buying into a system seems like something players would be more likely to do with Smart then PW. That's at least part of the battle that is won. I'm not saying he is the next Phil Jackson or anything like that. I just think he is a lot better than PW and at this point, at this time in the year, that's about all we could hope for.

sounds really positive i think he needs to get confidence in the team and get them to learn basic plays... i think you need to change your signature now ;)
I know that I need to change it, but I'm lazy. I waited to change to where it is currently, and then Westphal is fired the next morning. I will get to changing it to something else eventually.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
:
I know that I need to change it, but I'm lazy. I waited to change to where it is currently, and then Westphal is fired the next morning. I will get to changing it to something else eventually.
Glad to see you finally admit it!! (inside joke folks):D

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Very nice video of Smart. He's well spoken, and its easier to be well spoken when you know what your doing. Having said that, I don't put all that much value on someone being able to speak well in front of an audience unless they happen to be a actor or a politician. It certainly helps, but Musselhead was very good at it, and he stunk as a coach. I'am impressed with what he said however. He didn't just speak in generalities, but with substance. I also think he has a clear vision of the challenge he's confronted with. Looks good so far! I wish him luck..

Very nice video of Smart. He's well spoken, and its easier to be well spoken when you know what your doing. Having said that, I don't put all that much value on someone being able to speak well in front of an audience unless they happen to be a actor or a politician. It certainly helps, but Musselhead was very good at it, and he stunk as a coach. I'am impressed with what he said however. He didn't just speak in generalities, but with substance. I also think he has a clear vision of the challenge he's confronted with. Looks good so far! I wish him luck..
I like that he has come out and identified the major issues publically and started addressing them. Too many coaches say the right things but always use general terms that sound good. Smart is talking about specifics that I don't hear from coaches much, but wish we would hear more. I think they are always worried that the general fan won't understand what they are saying, but those of us who have played and watched basketball most of our lives like to hear it.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Saw this earlier from Smart.

"I think trying to let [Tyreke Evans] run a team right now, he doesn’t have that ability yet. But while I was managing the game with calls, he picked up a few and he called them, which I felt was some tremendous growth. That’s the next stage of his game."
Well, doesn't that make sense. I got the feeling Westy wasn't helping Reke run the team much, and basically was not calling out set plays, and for all intents and purposes, was having Reke attempt to run the team on his own.

What I;ve long thought, is that Reke can be a very successful pg in this league, but needs structure. He's not ready for the responsibility of setting up the offense and calling plays every trip down the floor. In order to do that, you need a better understanding of spacing, and how/when to get guys the ball where they can do something. This is where a coach helps. Take out the uncertainty for Reke.

It's never been about Reke losing his talent, as some would like to suggest, but instead he wasn't put in a proper position to use his talent or his strengths. Whereas Westy appeared to want Reke to learn through failure, and basically figure everything out on his own through experience, Smart is going to help by telling guys where they need to be on the floor, improve the spacing, and call out set plays to get guys in the offense earlier, and actually show Reke, and everyone else, how an NBA floor should be spaced correctly.

Whereas Westy seemed to take the attitude of "well, they haven't learned it yet, and learning to make the correct reads will happen over time", Smart appears to be taking the more proactive approach of "well, if they aren't ready to make those reads yet, I'm going to help them and show them exactly where they should be, what options they'll have, and call out plays which effectively put you in the correct position, and take the guess work out of it".

I like this guy Smart. Early to make a call, but I think it is possible that we have one of the young coaching stars in the league. He's basketball educated, articulate, and perhaps most important has the relationship skills that are an absolute requirement to be a coach, especially in the NBA. Seems to have the right mix of charisma, manners, knowledge, experience, youth, and directness.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Saw this earlier from Smart.

Well, doesn't that make sense. I got the feeling Westy wasn't helping Reke run the team much, and basically was not calling out set plays, and for all intents and purposes, was having Reke attempt to run the team on his own.

What I;ve long thought, is that Reke can be a very successful pg in this league, but needs structure. He's not ready for the responsibility of setting up the offense and calling plays every trip down the floor. In order to do that, you need a better understanding of spacing, and how/when to get guys the ball where they can do something. This is where a coach helps. Take out the uncertainty for Reke.

It's never been about Reke losing his talent, as some would like to suggest, but instead he wasn't put in a proper position to use his talent or his strengths. Whereas Westy appeared to want Reke to learn through failure, and basically figure everything out on his own through experience, Smart is going to help by telling guys where they need to be on the floor, improve the spacing, and call out set plays to get guys in the offense earlier, and actually show Reke, and everyone else, how an NBA floor should be spaced correctly.

Whereas Westy seemed to take the attitude of "well, they haven't learned it yet, and learning to make the correct reads will happen over time", Smart appears to be taking the more proactive approach of "well, if they aren't ready to make those reads yet, I'm going to help them and show them exactly where they should be, what options they'll have, and call out plays which effectively put you in the correct position, and take the guess work out of it".
I don't have a problem with either approach. Sometimes, total immersion is the way to go. Sometimes it isn't. The total immersion approach didn't work with Tyreke, he couldn't handle it, and Westphal didn't adjust. I've seen this kind of ying-yang with coaches in different sports. Sometimes the predecessor (Westphal) who is very tough makes it easier for the successor (Smart), who is willing to back off considerably to keep the players motivation and confidence. Tyreke probably learned a heckuvalot from Westphal's immersion approach. The rewards will hopefully be seen down the line.

I don't have a problem with either approach. Sometimes, total immersion is the way to go. Sometimes it isn't. The total immersion approach didn't work with Tyreke, he couldn't handle it, and Westphal didn't adjust. I've seen this kind of ying-yang with coaches in different sports. Sometimes the predecessor (Westphal) who is very tough makes it easier for the successor (Smart), who is willing to back off considerably to keep the players motivation and confidence. Tyreke probably learned a heckuvalot from Westphal's immersion approach. The rewards will hopefully be seen down the line.
Well, my idea of a good teacher or coach is one who understands that people learn in different ways and adjust what they do for each learner or teach soething in several different ways. Most people have a primary way they learn, be it aural, visual, kinetic, etc.