Should the Kings look to hire Larry Brown?

Should the Kings hire make an offer to Larry Brown?

• Yes

Votes: 35 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 54 60.7%

• Total voters
What, add even more doubt to the team when Brown won't come anyway? If Brown would realistically come to Sac, maybe. But otherwise that's another distraction that we do not need. And, as Yoda says, we need commitment. Larry Brown is not the first coach you look to to help rebuild a team.

For sake of arguement, alot of people say he will not commit. Here are some numbers for you.

Larry Brown
2 years with Detroit = 2 trips to the finals

Rick Adelman
6 years with Sacramento = 0 trips to the finals

Personally I would take Brown for 2 years at the chance of a finals.

I voted no. First of all, we don't even know yet if his health will allow him to coach next year.

Assuming it did and he chose Sacramento as his destination (seems unlikely), I don't have confidence that Brown would be the right man for Sacramento anyway. He would certainly bring a much needed defensive focus which would help us and I do think he would probably have us in contention in the playoffs though. However, I think (and I think most other fans would agree) that no matter who the coach is, we are several pieces from being a legit title threat. This could be helped somewhat this offseason if/when Petrie makes his moves, but even so I feel we are at least another 2 years away from contention if we start making the right moves now. So what happens two years from now when the pieces start to come together and we start reading in the papers how much Larry Brown loves New York and suddenly rumours are popping up about some team wooing him for a front office position. Just as we start to assemble our team around him and his philosophy he probably retires or takes off for another destination. Then we have to start over with another coach who may or may not be able to properly utilize the players we have brought in. Maybe a new coach steps in and we still make a run, but history does not seem to indicate that happens very often.

No, we might get tougher at the defensive end, but we'd be weaker at the offensive end. Result? '0'.
As far as I know the Pistons' role players were lucky with injuries for the last 2 seasons.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
CaminoChaos said:
For sake of arguement, alot of people say he will not commit. Here are some numbers for you.

Larry Brown

Rick Adelman

Why would Brown EVER consider coming the Sacramento? He is a big market guy, a hall of famer, big ego. Sure on paper he looks great. But his defensive tilt goes against the grain of the Kings offensive tilt.

I voted no. It took brown more than two years to win a championship. he was with the clippers, the spurs, the pacers, the sixers, and then the pistons before he won a championship. with his health in question and considering teh screw up with the jackson incident, I dont think this is even a remote possibility. besides, if he does coach again it will be for the knicks and I thomas where he wants to coach.

CaminoChaos said:

Larry Brown

Rick Adelman

Larry Brown
First 20 years as a head coach = 0 championships

Will you give the "you are only a great coach if you championships" BS a rest.

CruzDude said:
Why would Brown EVER consider coming the Sacramento? He is a big market guy, a hall of famer, big ego. Sure on paper he looks great. But his defensive tilt goes against the grain of the Kings offensive tilt.

Brown is many things, but he is not a "big market" guy.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/ian_thomsen/07/18/brown.pistons/index.html

On the road again

Brown, Pistons part ways; Saunders next in line
by Ian Thomsen

Posted: Monday July 18, 2005 3:54PM; Updated: Monday July 18, 2005 3:58PM

Larry Brown and the Detroit Pistons have decided to part ways, SI.com learned Monday. The announcement will become official in the next 24 hours as the two sides haggle over the final terms, but it appears that the terms of Brown's buyout will prevent him from coaching another team for the next year.

If he is desperate to coach the Knicks, then they would have to negotiate terms of compensation with the Pistons. But if he were to move to the Knicks within the next year, I'm told that Brown would also relieve the Pistons of their remaining financial obligations to him. The exact terms of the buyout aren't known, although Brown had three years and $21 million remaining on his contract.

The Pistons will almost surely announce, in short order, that they are hiring former Minnesota Timberwolves coach Flip Saunders. There are some within the Pistons organization who worry that Saunders will face inordinate pressure by stepping in for Brown, who in two years won a championship and made it to Game 7 of this season's NBA Finals.

But I think just the opposite will be true. The Pistons will be the most motivated team in the league next season, determined to prove that Brown received far too much credit for the players' success. If his history is a guide, Saunders will feed his new team's ambition from the first day of his tenure by giving all the credit to his new players, and in return they will be invested in making Saunders look good. Ben Wallace, Chauncey Billups and their teammates can be expected to do everything they can to show that the organization can perform better without Brown. In the end, Brown will endow the Pistons with more motivation by leaving than he ever could have provided by staying next season.

The other reason Saunders will succeed is that he will understand the dynamics of this well-balanced team. A lot of coaches who are used to the NBA star system might have trouble adapting to the Pistons, who are the only team in the last 25 years to win a championship without a first-team All-NBA player. But Saunders, who spent seven years in the CBA, crafted a track record at Minnesota of mixing and matching individuals by exploiting their strengths and hiding their weaknesses while putting a balanced winner on the floor. He is, arguably, the best of all possible fits for this team.

One of Brown's options now is to explore a move to the Cleveland Cavaliers, who held their team presidency open for two months for him before hiring Danny Ferry as GM. Perhaps he could return to Cleveland as a consultant, but it's hard to imagine that the Cavaliers would be willing to upset their relationship with Ferry, who has been doing a terrific job on short notice.

Brown's other known option is in New York, where the clock is now running on the tenure of Knicks coach Herb Williams. The Knicks' current coach will need a strong start next season with his revamped roster to snuff out speculation that Brown will eventually replace him.

So here's a prediction: Brown spends the next year recuperating physically, advising the Cavaliers informally and investigating future jobs -- either as the Knicks' head coach or as a team president for another franchise. But where he ends up is anyone's guess.

No way.

1) He never sticks around very long.
2) He always wants to meddle with the roster (usually to the detriment of the team/future)
3) He doesn't like to use the young players.
4) People don't get along with him and as time goes by, it doesn't get better.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Larry Brown is not the solution to our problems. Developing younger players had better be a priority or we're up doo-doo creek without a paddle. With that being an alien concept to Brown, we might as well just flush Cisco and Martin now and avoid the drama..