Should the Kings get a new coach next year ?

yes either John Vincent Calipari, Byron Scott or Jerry Sloan please!!!!!

Calipari very hard on his players see Nets, but I would love to see him as the "franchise" new coach where ever our team plays. he has the respect of rekeDMC and potential of us drafting Knight or Jones.

I have always been a fan of Byron Scott he should have been our coach after Kings burned the Adelman bridge.

Jerry Sloan...HOFC.

I don't think so. I like him. I always have. He hasn't been the problem. He won't be a problem in the future when this team begins to prove it's come together.

As I said when it happened, if they could get Jerry Sloan, you replace PW in a fast SECOND!

I like PW and he took blame when it was player's faults, but the fact remains that this team STILL doesn;t know how to run OR defend against the 2 most common (and potent) offensive sets in the league:
The pick-and-roll, and the set-screen play to get an open shot when they REALLY need it.

What do the Kings run when they need a basket to win a game?
Hell, the 1-4 flat is not even a PLAY - it's an individual, trying to penetrate - it hardly needs to be coached.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
As I said when it happened, if they could get Jerry Sloan, you replace PW in a fast SECOND!

I like PW and he took blame when it was player's faults, but the fact remains that this team STILL doesn;t know how to run OR defend against the 2 most common (and potent) offensive sets in the league:
The pick-and-roll, and the set-screen play to get an open shot when they REALLY need it.

What do the Kings run when they need a basket to win a game?
Hell, the 1-4 flat is not even a PLAY - it's an individual, trying to penetrate - it hardly needs to be coached.
Its doubtful Jerry Sloan could run his system with our personnel -- and he only had the one, a great benefit of the immense stability there -- and you don't bust up your personnel for a 70 yr old coach.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I have flip flopped on Westy more than any other factor surrounding this team. At this point, I'll say keep him, until I hear something concrete, and a substantially better coaching option. Maybe substantially is the wrong word, but I wouldn't consider anyone else unless it was a definite upgrade.

There have been many things Westy has done which I have disagreed with, and still believe with a better coach, we'd have a better record. But Tyreke hadn't been healthy all year until the recent 5 game stretch. Many here acted like Tyreke just lost his skillset over the summer, but I always mantained that the problem was his foot. That set us back from the beginning, and obviously had an affect on Westy, as it would any coach. Dally was injured throughout training camp, and it took a little while for him to get his rhythm. While I do blame him for some of the inconsistent play from our young sf's, mainly not giving them consistency or much confidence in Donte's case, I can't blame him for none of our sf's being starting caliber nba sf's. We don't have one on this roster. It's also tough when Tyreke is out, and we hadn't traded for Thornton yet, and you're forced to give guys like Head and Pooh 30+ minutes because of zero depth at the guard positions.

This was the year i was going to judge whether or not we should keep Westy, but I can't objectively say he's been given a fair shake. Not with the roster he was dealt, along with the injuries we've suffered. But that certainly coesn't mean I agree with everthing he does. Far from it.

But right now he has a more talented roster than 2 months ago, and a healthy Tyreke, and a more mature Cousins. He settled into a rotation, and the guys seem to be not only playing very hard for him, but are enjoying playing for him as well. Omri being the obvious exception. As a result, we're winning. I agree with everyone who thinks it can be very risky to make a switch now, with guys finally settling in, understanding their roles, as we continue to build momentum. I want a Dally/Cousins starting duo next year. Would another coach? I like Tyreke/Thornton together, and would like to see that next year as well. Would another coach? I'm also worried about how another coach will handle Cousins. There are just too many ways to screw this up at the moment. That's why if we make a change, Petrie/Maloofs better be 100% sure it will work out better. There is absolutely no reason to take an unnecessary risk right now.

I'd also say, despite any feelings I have, if i was betting, I'd bet that Westy is the head coach on opening night next season. And I would say it isn't close to 50/50. More like 80/20 in favor of him staying around.

Last edited:
Its doubtful Jerry Sloan could run his system with our personnel -- and he only had the one, a great benefit of the immense stability there -- and you don't bust up your personnel for a 70 yr old coach.
Do you believe this team and personnel are incapable of running a screen play to get an open shot?
Do you think the personnel simply cannot learn what EVERY other team in the NBA learns, and run a pick-and-roll with a guard and big man?

I'm curious to hear the (usually informative) analysis by you guys which helps me understand why the guards and big men we have on this team are incapable of running plays that every other team does (and that they undoubtedly HAVE run on other teams).

Jerry Sloan ran the same exact plays when he had complete SHLUBS on that team, the years between John Stockton and DWill's ascendance.
When AK-47 and Matt Hapring were major offensive weapons for them *eyeroll* Sloan made sure every player played hard, and knew the plays, and executed the damn plays.

What is your support for any assertion that assumes Sloan could not get this personnel to run the plays (when it flies in the face of historical evidence)?

Last edited:
yes either John Vincent Calipari, Byron Scott or Jerry Sloan please!!!!!

Calipari very hard on his players see Nets, but I would love to see him as the "franchise" new coach where ever our team plays. he has the respect of rekeDMC and potential of us drafting Knight or Jones.

I have always been a fan of Byron Scott he should have been our coach after Kings burned the Adelman bridge.

Jerry Sloan...HOFC.
Scott has a job. And keep him as far away from this team as possible.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Do you believe this team and personnel are incapable of running a screen play to get an open shot?
Do you think the personnel simply cannot learn what EVERY other team in the NBA learns, and run a pick-and-roll with a guard and big man?

I'm curious to hear the (usually informative) analysis by you guys which helps me understand why the guards and big men we have on this team are incapable of running plays that every other team does (and that they undoubtedly HAVE run on other teams).

Jerry Sloan ran the same exact plays when he had complete SHLUBS on that team, the years between John Stockton and DWill's ascendance.
When AK-47 and Matt Hapring were major offensive weapons for them *eyeroll* Sloan made sure every player played hard, and knew the plays, and executed the damn plays.

What is your support for any assertion that assumes Sloan could not get this personnel to run the plays (when it flies in the face of historical evidence)?
In the two years Slon did not have a great pure pg running his system (03-04) his teams won 42 and 26 games, scored 88.7ppg and 93.0ppg and in general did nothing to make you believe the system works universally. Its designed around the great single pillar ballhandler. Even if you want to add in Deron's first year when he was a part timer they still only averaged 93.5ppg.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Westphaul provides stability and consistency? Really? I must be on the crack pipe because I haven't seen that in two years.

Things are finally being stabilized and I think it's a combination of a healthy Reke, a controlled cousins, Thornton's arrival, and PW finally realizing that he does have decent players to start and not have to play musical chairs all the time.

I'd give him one more year though.
I don't get your post. The first paragraph - no stability from Westphal. The second paragraph - stability from Westphal. So which is it?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I don't get your post. The first paragraph - no stability from Westphal. The second paragraph - stability from Westphal. So which is it?
Both if you want to take your foot off the aggression pedal and read and understand. Distorting what a person says simply to put him down is low.

Doesnt make any sense to change the coach currently.
We have been testing the team now for 2 years and finally have kind of a good lineup.
Bringing in a new coach will let the whole process start from zero which would be a pity.
Thornton saved PW-axx.

I think it's a tough choice. My tendency at this point would be to keep him, for the following reasons:

1. We are finally playing well, and if it aint broke, don't fix it.
2. Unless his replacement is someone like Adelman, Sloan, Phil Jackson, or Pops, getting a new coach is just as risky as keeping Westphal.
3. The possibility of a lockout. Getting a new coach without giving him the opportunity to coach is a waste of money.

On the other hand, there are reasons to suspect that keeping him might backfire:

1. If he goes back to his tinkering ways and the team falls off the cliff again, it will be too late to pursue Adelman or Sloan midseason.
2. We are playing well now, but that is the level we were expected to play all season before the season started. With the addition of Dally and DMC and the extra year of experience Tyreke, Omri, Donte, and JT gained, we should have been at least a 35-40 win team in the first place (there was no reason for GSW, for example, to make better progress than us). The fact that our current play is perceived as spectacular is not a testament to how good Westphal is, but how bad he was before Thornton came and pushed the reset button.
3. Like I said, if it aint broke, don't fix it, but in reality, this is an NBA team, and every team without exception has bumps throughout its journey. Is Westphal the guy who is able to fix things when we go into a slump or a long losing streak? So far he hasn't shown the ability to do the things needed to do to right the ship. He was lost for nearly two seasons until GP got rid of Head and Wright and brought in Thornton.

So, I would probably keep him at this point, but I would brace myself in fear that it will come back to bite me in the ***. And if there is a real possibility of getting Sloan or Adelman, I dump Westphal and go for them.

It took Westphal all season to find the starting lineup that I had imagined the first week into the season. That says a lot to why he should be replaced...or maybe I'm just a coaching genius!?!

It took Westphal all season to find the starting lineup that I had imagined the first week into the season. That says a lot to why he should be replaced...or maybe I'm just a coaching genius!?!
I agree
what do you people think will happen next year different from this year
i cant see how WP will take this team to the playoffs , i guess you'r expectations became low.

This isn't NBA 2k11. Just because a lineup works now doesn't necessarily mean that it would have worked from the beginning of the season, when DMC was fouling out of almost every game, forcing a lot more etc. What makes you think that he could have worked so well with Dalembert right from the start? And don't forget Landry was our best post scorer last season (and second leading scorer behind Tyreke if I'm not wrong). You don't just go OK Carl Landry you go to the bench and I'm going to start my rookie who can't play D and Sammy D who has a career reputation as being rather useless on offense.

I also didn't realise that you pictured us having Marcus Thornton from the beginning of the season.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I agree
what do you people think will happen next year different from this year
i cant see how WP will take this team to the playoffs , i guess you'r expectations became low.
Always in motion the Future is. Sometimes, let a Jedi know what may likely happen, the Force can. But show what definitely will happen, the Force cannot. Perhaps take comfort in that I can.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ahh, the wind has changed for Westphal. And to my mind, Thornton, more than any other factor, is the reason for it. He's provided the impetus to tip this team in the win column. Tyreke being healthy doesn't hurt either. Westphal is the same coach. Middle of the road, just like when they hired him. As I've said before, the only way you unload Westphal is if you know you have a better coach in your hip pocket. If you don't know that, then you've got to go with Westphal because he does provide something that is valuable other than his average coaching - stability and consistency - both desirable commodities for a young team. I doubt that there's going be a coach out there who is clearly better than Westphal, and for whom the Maloofs would be willing to pay the big bucks. So given those assumptions, I'd opt for Westphal next year.
I have to agree with this. I don't think Westphal is the best coach for the team by a longshot. But in fairness to him, he's had to deal with some issues that haven't helped. But he's also made a lot of mistakes, and for those that are willing to do the research, he did similiar things in Seattle. But unless you have have someone lined up thats significantly better, then I'd just as soon go along with him for another year. You can always fire him halfway through the year if it gets too bad.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ahemmm! Sloan turned 69 on March 28th. Lets take it easy on the old guys, OK! :D

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Always in motion the Future is. Sometimes, let a Jedi know what may likely happen, the Force can. But show what definitely will happen, the Force cannot. Perhaps take comfort in that I can.
And may the force be with you! R2D2 is a pain in the butt sometimes though.