SF Trades

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The Wizards player the Kings should be looking at is Troy Brown Jr. There's some footage of him if you care to check it out. He was the #15 pick in this current draft class and Washington has him playing in the D league. 19 years old 6'7 215+lbs he would imo fill in at the 3 here nicely. If I had to guess Brooks doesn't value him much because even with Porter being injured he hasn't been called up. I would offer to take on Mahinmi along with some sweeteners to add another prospect to our roster.
Not that I don't like Brown, I liked him at Oregon, but he's not an immediate answer, and he's a bit undersized for the SF position, He measured 6'5.5" without shoes at the combine and 6'6.75" in shoes. His major problem coming out of Oregon was his inconsistent 3 pt shot. I certainly wouldn't take on a huge contract to get him, not without something else thrown in, like a 1st rd pick perhaps.

Not that I don't like Brown, I liked him at Oregon, but he's not an immediate answer, and he's a bit undersized for the SF position, He measured 6'5.5" without shoes at the combine and 6'6.75" in shoes. His major problem coming out of Oregon was his inconsistent 3 pt shot. I certainly wouldn't take on a huge contract to get him, not without something else thrown in, like a 1st rd pick perhaps.
Hes not an immediate answer but I still like him in the bigger picture.

The Wizards player the Kings should be looking at is Troy Brown Jr. There's some footage of him if you care to check it out. He was the #15 pick in this current draft class and Washington has him playing in the D league. 19 years old 6'7 215+lbs he would imo fill in at the 3 here nicely. If I had to guess Brooks doesn't value him much because even with Porter being injured he hasn't been called up. I would offer to take on Mahinmi along with some sweeteners to add another prospect to our roster.
Given the salary hell they are in, they are unlikely to move a player on a rookie deal, who can step in for Porter when (not if in my opinion) they trade him.

I'm not sure how Wall's injury will impact Wiz's decision to move Porter in the short term. I thought they might be inclined to move him before the deadline to save on tax, and we were the only team who could help them in this regard this season. Some other folks thought that they will pay the tax this season, but trade him in the summer, when lot more teams will have space and they can get a higher price for him. That too made sense, as long as they were ready to pay the tax.

The two scenarios remain the same, but get amplified with Wall's injury. It makes it less likely that they will make the playoffs, giving greater incentive to trade Porter and save on tax. However, if Wall was one of the reasons for his relatively low production, Wiz may hope that he'll play much better for the rest of the season, and they can get better value for him in the summer.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Given the salary hell they are in, they are unlikely to move a player on a rookie deal, who can step in for Porter when (not if in my opinion) they trade him.

I'm not sure how Wall's injury will impact Wiz's decision to move Porter in the short term. I thought they might be inclined to move him before the deadline to save on tax, and we were the only team who could help them in this regard this season. Some other folks thought that they will pay the tax this season, but trade him in the summer, when lot more teams will have space and they can get a higher price for him. That too made sense, as long as they were ready to pay the tax.

The two scenarios remain the same, but get amplified with Wall's injury. It makes it less likely that they will make the playoffs, giving greater incentive to trade Porter and save on tax. However, if Wall was one of the reasons for his relatively low production, Wiz may hope that he'll play much better for the rest of the season, and they can get better value for him in the summer.
I honestly have no idea what they're thinking, but if they're willing to eat around 14 mil just for the hell of it, I think they should go see a therapist. What would be the point in that? They were going nowhere with Wall, how far will they get without him? Would whatever more they would get for Porter outweigh the loss of around 14 mil they could save this season? I think not, but then what the hell do I know?:eek:

The Wiz will still try to make it work without Wall. At least, they'll try until all hope is beyond sight. The question has always been where does Ernie have to be mentally before he realizes its time for a salary dump? Nobody knows.

I still dont understand that Oubre trade for Ariza
Maybe they are looking for a cheaper alternative to Oubre and Porter next year. Ariza was said to be a good, calming influence on Wall the last time he was in Washington.

I think having Ariza as their Small Forward next year, opens up the possibility to trade Porter now and have his cheaper replacement in place.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I still dont understand that Oubre trade for Ariza
The only thing I can think is that it was a last-ditch attempt to save the season. They actually didn't save any money (what, $200K?) and all players involved are going to be free agents at the end of the season.

If you want to take a bright-side look as a Kings fan, at least you can say that with Wall done, their efforts to save the season are basically doomed. At this point, their best bet would seem to be to get under the tax level in order to stop hemorrhaging money while they figure out how to build a competing team while stuck with the four years and $177M left on Wall's deal. Tanking for a good lotto pick, starting ASAP, would *seem* to be the right move.

And we are, best as I can tell, the only team that can get them under the tax threshold - certainly the only team that can do that without serious machinations (like trying to make five trades each saving $2M). But I have to say that our cap space comes at a price - that price's name is Otto Porter.

I know Otto is a steep price, but look at it this way: The Wizards are going to be in the tax this year, barring a change. They were in the tax last year. And being in the tax three out of four years puts you in the even-worse "repeater" level of the tax. But how do they avoid being in the tax next year when they're paying $108M for four players, one of them recovering from surgery (Wall) and another not really any good (Mahinmi)? They don't. So it's Repeater Time without making a big move. Now, I suppose they could try dumping Mahinmi for an expiring contract and suffer the tax this year while trying to slip under it next year, but nobody really wants to pay Mahinmi $15.5M next year. What do they have to offer? This year's draft pick? Well, that might not be enough incentive for another team to eat $15.5M next year - and if it is, then how in the world do the Wizards hope to start filling out their roster without that draft pick?

But we can fix this for them. We take Porter and Mahinmi, and we send them the expirings of ZBo, Kosta, and BMac and an actual asset in Justin Jackson. I'd love to do this deal without sending Jackson, but 1) he'd lose all his time with Porter in town, 2) the Wizards will still insist on getting *something* of value back, and 3) if I've got it right we really need to include JJ to get the money to work. Is this an overpay for Porter? In cash terms, probably. You would have to consider the Mahinmi contract part of Porter's money, so (assuming we did this at game 41, for easy pro-rating) we'd be paying about $92M for 2.5 years of Porter, almost $37M per year. That's a lot, but right now we can *afford* it, and we don't have a lot of options to improve SF, certainly not to the extent Porter would, otherwise. Imagine adding Porter now, and with a year to gel, a lineup of Fox/Hield/Porter/Bagley/WCS(re-signed) with Bogdan/Giles/Bjelica/Shumpert(re-signed) off the bench could look VERY SCARY. And it's affordable. In exchange, the Wizards get out of the tax this year, they start the tank immediately, improving their pick, they gain a rotation piece in JJ, and they get elbow room to start rebuilding around a two-star lineup in Wall/Beal. Furthermore, it's kind of insurance against having to pay Porter (and Mahinmi) all that money over the next two years if Wall doesn't bounce back to form. I know it's hard for them to pack off a near-star player and not get much return, but the financials and the reboot it offers are not exactly available anywhere else. The Wiz might decide to just ride the franchise into the ground rather than ship off Porter for a bag of donuts, but it's probably a bad call. If you're in a hole and someone offers to take away your diamond-crusted shovel for free, maybe you ought to give it to them if only to stop digging.

Now, a trade like the one I outlined actually would have to take place in two parts to get under the CBA rules. First we would send ZBo and Ben for Porter, which would allow us to slip Porter into our cap space. Then as a second deal we would send Kosta and JJ for Mahinmi, which would be a legal salary match. Lumped together the deal wouldn't be legal because we'd be taking too much salary back, but if you split it apart into two parts correctly, it works.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The only thing I can think is that it was a last-ditch attempt to save the season. They actually didn't save any money (what, $200K?) and all players involved are going to be free agents at the end of the season.

If you want to take a bright-side look as a Kings fan, at least you can say that with Wall done, their efforts to save the season are basically doomed. At this point, their best bet would seem to be to get under the tax level in order to stop hemorrhaging money while they figure out how to build a competing team while stuck with the four years and $177M left on Wall's deal. Tanking for a good lotto pick, starting ASAP, would *seem* to be the right move.

And we are, best as I can tell, the only team that can get them under the tax threshold - certainly the only team that can do that without serious machinations (like trying to make five trades each saving $2M). But I have to say that our cap space comes at a price - that price's name is Otto Porter.

I know Otto is a steep price, but look at it this way: The Wizards are going to be in the tax this year, barring a change. They were in the tax last year. And being in the tax three out of four years puts you in the even-worse "repeater" level of the tax. But how do they avoid being in the tax next year when they're paying $108M for four players, one of them recovering from surgery (Wall) and another not really any good (Mahinmi)? They don't. So it's Repeater Time without making a big move. Now, I suppose they could try dumping Mahinmi for an expiring contract and suffer the tax this year while trying to slip under it next year, but nobody really wants to pay Mahinmi $15.5M next year. What do they have to offer? This year's draft pick? Well, that might not be enough incentive for another team to eat $15.5M next year - and if it is, then how in the world do the Wizards hope to start filling out their roster without that draft pick?

But we can fix this for them. We take Porter and Mahinmi, and we send them the expirings of ZBo, Kosta, and BMac and an actual asset in Justin Jackson. I'd love to do this deal without sending Jackson, but 1) he'd lose all his time with Porter in town, 2) the Wizards will still insist on getting *something* of value back, and 3) if I've got it right we really need to include JJ to get the money to work. Is this an overpay for Porter? In cash terms, probably. You would have to consider the Mahinmi contract part of Porter's money, so (assuming we did this at game 41, for easy pro-rating) we'd be paying about $92M for 2.5 years of Porter, almost $37M per year. That's a lot, but right now we can *afford* it, and we don't have a lot of options to improve SF, certainly not to the extent Porter would, otherwise. Imagine adding Porter now, and with a year to gel, a lineup of Fox/Hield/Porter/Bagley/WCS(re-signed) with Bogdan/Giles/Bjelica/Shumpert(re-signed) off the bench could look VERY SCARY. And it's affordable. In exchange, the Wizards get out of the tax this year, they start the tank immediately, improving their pick, they gain a rotation piece in JJ, and they get elbow room to start rebuilding around a two-star lineup in Wall/Beal. Furthermore, it's kind of insurance against having to pay Porter (and Mahinmi) all that money over the next two years if Wall doesn't bounce back to form. I know it's hard for them to pack off a near-star player and not get much return, but the financials and the reboot it offers are not exactly available anywhere else. The Wiz might decide to just ride the franchise into the ground rather than ship off Porter for a bag of donuts, but it's probably a bad call. If you're in a hole and someone offers to take away your diamond-crusted shovel for free, maybe you ought to give it to them if only to stop digging.

Now, a trade like the one I outlined actually would have to take place in two parts to get under the CBA rules. First we would send ZBo and Ben for Porter, which would allow us to slip Porter into our cap space. Then as a second deal we would send Kosta and JJ for Mahinmi, which would be a legal salary match. Lumped together the deal wouldn't be legal because we'd be taking too much salary back, but if you split it apart into two parts correctly, it works.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Mahinmi and Porter come off the books in two years when the Kings will have some salary decisions to make on a couple of players. I like this trade though. Porter is the perfect fit for our team. He's a team player who doesn't demand the ball, and he's still young. For those worried about the Kings having enough room to resign some of their players in a couple of years, remember that the cap is projected to be 118 mil that year, so inflation will take care of some of our cap worries.

Last edited:

I'm not sure if you have us receiving the Wizards 1st round pick in this proposal. But, if I'm taking Mahinmi contract, I'm getting the Wizards 1st round pick this year or next in the trade. No way I would take Mahinmi contract without a 1st round pick attached.

Also, I would rather send a couple of 2nd rounders instead of JJ, if possible.

Seems like a horrible idea for them. I don't get it either.
That was before Wall went down, when they thought they could compete. Ariza fit in well his first time around.

Most of the trade variations I see coming from Wizards fans involves us now taking on ARiza to get Wizards out of tax. I hope not, ARiza has looked spent this year

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I'm not sure if you have us receiving the Wizards 1st round pick in this proposal. But, if I'm taking Mahinmi contract, I'm getting the Wizards 1st round pick this year or next in the trade. No way I would take Mahinmi contract without a 1st round pick attached.
No, my proposal does not include Washington's first round pick. The sugar we get for taking the Mahinmi contract is Porter (more expensive than a first-rounder, but almost certainly a better player - and ready to contribute NOW). I really doubt Washington would include more. And if they were to do a trade like that, they'd then be counting on their new tank job to get them a nice shiny high lotto pick - a pick they would be relying on to get them back towards relevance. You can demand that first-rounder, but I simply can't imagine them conceding it.

I'm not sure we can get the salaries to work under the cap without sending JJ or an equivalent. Yogi would work, but, again, I get the feeling Washington will run their franchise into the ground rather than make a trade where they send away a star with only a financial gain on their side.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
\Most of the trade variations I see coming from Wizards fans involves us now taking on ARiza to get Wizards out of tax.
Now THERE'S a deal where we get their first-round pick. Ben for Ariza and their first-rounder unprotected. Sure, I guess, if we can't get them to bite on a Porter deal and we can't find a better way to spend our cap space, sure. I guess. No #1, no deal - WE need an asset in this scenario.

If we are sending them JJ than I want them to send us Sam Dekker as well for taking on Mahinmi contract but I do like your deal.

We don’t need to take the Mahinmi contract. Good luck to them finding a better spot to offload Porter. They’re about to pay luxury tax for a non-playoff team that’s going to face dwindling attendance. Owners love that scenario.

The price of porter is mahinmi. Any 1sts and the wiz would rather eat the tax penalties

I wish the kings and wiz would get it done though while we are still in playoff contention. Porter would be a massive upgrade to JJ

The price of porter is mahinmi. Any 1sts and the wiz would rather eat the tax penalties

I wish the kings and wiz would get it done though while we are still in playoff contention. Porter would be a massive upgrade to JJ
Here is the thing about taking Mahinmi contract. First off, Porter is overpaid for a 3 and D small forward, no matter how good a fit he is. Usually when someone trades for a bad contract like Mahinmi, you get a cheap, young player with upside or a draft pick for taking his contract. Someone like Oubre (if he had more years on his current rookie deal) would be packaged with Mahinmi.

Mahinmi is making like 16 million and Porter is overpaid by 7-8 million for a 3 and D small forward.

That is a massive overpay for Porter.
I like Porter as a good fit, but it would be like getting Porter for $37 million a year, since taking Mahinmi contract is a straight salary dump. Porter is a good fit, but the price is too steep if we have to take Mahinmi.

We hold all the cards if Washington wants to get under the Luxury Tax, we should be dictating the terms of a trade, not them.

Last edited:
With Cody Zeller breaking his hand last night, I think we should be looking at MKG. We could probably get him straight across for KK or ZBO. While he doesn't shoot the ball well, he does all the things we lack. He runs the floor, plays defense, rebounds, and is a good ball mover. Plus he's a great team guy from all accounts and wouldn't mess up our cap situation.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Now THERE'S a deal where we get their first-round pick. Ben for Ariza and their first-rounder unprotected. Sure, I guess, if we can't get them to bite on a Porter deal and we can't find a better way to spend our cap space, sure. I guess. No #1, no deal - WE need an asset in this scenario.
I was going to say that if they were going to include their 1st rd pick, it would likely be top 10 protected, so it would be nothing more than candy dressing.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I was going to say that if they were going to include their 1st rd pick, it would likely be top 10 protected, so it would be nothing more than candy dressing.
But then why would we bother using our cap space on Ariza? It's not like we want four months of Trevor Ariza.

No, my proposal does not include Washington's first round pick. The sugar we get for taking the Mahinmi contract is Porter (more expensive than a first-rounder, but almost certainly a better player - and ready to contribute NOW). I really doubt Washington would include more. And if they were to do a trade like that, they'd then be counting on their new tank job to get them a nice shiny high lotto pick - a pick they would be relying on to get them back towards relevance. You can demand that first-rounder, but I simply can't imagine them conceding it.

I'm not sure we can get the salaries to work under the cap without sending JJ or an equivalent. Yogi would work, but, again, I get the feeling Washington will run their franchise into the ground rather than make a trade where they send away a star with only a financial gain on their side.
It's already been reported the cost of the Kings cap space is a 1st rounder. The closer to the trade deadline the cost continues to go up.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The Wiz will still try to make it work without Wall. At least, they'll try until all hope is beyond sight. The question has always been where does Ernie have to be mentally before he realizes its time for a salary dump? Nobody knows.
If he doesn't know now, he never will. The Wizards have been dead man walking for over a year. All they have to look forward to with the current lineup is mediocrity for as long as the eye can see. Maybe with the New Year and all they can finally cut the cord and get down to business.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

How do we know that? It always seem uncertain to me to know how much tax an owner is willing to eat. It would seem to dependent on a variety of factors, including their intestinal tolerance for red ink.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
It's already been reported the cost of the Kings cap space is a 1st rounder. The closer to the trade deadline the cost continues to go up.
It's sensible that the cost of the Kings cap space is a first-rounder, but I can't help feeling that we have to read that as "a first-rounder OR some equivalent compensation we really want". In other words, we're not going to give you our cap space for free as a favor. If, as a ridiculous example, the Lakers were to offer a deal that boiled down to LeBron for our cap space, we're not going to turn it down on some sort of inflexible rule that they're not including a first rounder so we can't do it. In this case, it's Porter that replaces the first rounder.