Sasha Watch 2022-2023

It all depends on who we keep, but it looks like if we were to use the full MLE on Vezenkov (~$11M but he may not take that much) then waive/renounce about anybody we could, including Barnes, Lyles, TD, Ellis, Queta - we'd have something like $13M left over.

A lot hinges on Barnes and whether we want him back. If not, and we want to go max space (that is, not immediately sign Vezenkov and gut everybody not on a contract, and stretch Holmes - I mean absolute complete scorched earth) then we'd have about $25M in cap space.

We should anticipate being a team that operates over the cap this summer.
Wouldn’t they have to renounce the MLE to open up cap space?

It all depends on who we keep, but it looks like if we were to use the full MLE on Vezenkov (~$11M but he may not take that much) then waive/renounce about anybody we could, including Barnes, Lyles, TD, Ellis, Queta - we'd have something like $13M left over.

A lot hinges on Barnes and whether we want him back. If not, and we want to go max space (that is, not immediately sign Vezenkov and gut everybody not on a contract, and stretch Holmes - I mean absolute complete scorched earth) then we'd have about $25M in cap space.

Much appreciated

Yeah, that's what Tim pretty much outlined here.

Fairly appealing tbh. This is suggesting we can get Lyles back AND have around 23 Mil in cap space if we go scorched earth and stretch Holmes. I think you could make fairly competitive offers to go bring Vezenkov over and make a real strong bid for someone like Naz Reid.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

Yeah, that's what Tim pretty much outlined here.

Fairly appealing tbh. This is suggesting we can get Lyles back AND have around 23 Mil in cap space if we go scorched earth and stretch Holmes. I think you could make fairly competitive offers to go bring Vezenkov over and make a real strong bid for someone like Naz Reid.
I think the difference between his estimate and mine probably has to do with mine taking into account the #24 pick and three roster charges. That vs. him suggesting $7M for Lyles looks to add up about the same. But of course that's all dependent on us moving on from Barnes. I'm not convinced we're going to do that.

But of course that's all dependent on us moving on from Barnes. I'm not convinced we're going to do that.
it seems like Stein has been wrong a bunch lately but he allegedly said the Barnes team is looking for 4/94 (Trista on Dlo and KC was the one relaying this) Of course that’s just agent talk probably but that’s likely pretty far off from what the kings want to do especially if they believe it’s time for Keegan to start getting more shots. Can’t pay a guy who might average 10-12 points a game that kind of money. I still don’t know where I stand on all this just yet

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
it seems like Stein has been wrong a bunch lately but he allegedly said the Barnes team is looking for 4/94 (Trista on Dlo and KC was the one relaying this) Of course that’s just agent talk probably but that’s likely pretty far off from what the kings want to do especially if they believe it’s time for Keegan to start getting more shots. Can’t pay a guy who might average 10-12 points a game that kind of money. I still don’t know where I stand on all this just yet
4/94?!? Cap space starting to sound better.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think the difference between his estimate and mine probably has to do with mine taking into account the #24 pick and three roster charges. That vs. him suggesting $7M for Lyles looks to add up about the same. But of course that's all dependent on us moving on from Barnes. I'm not convinced we're going to do that.
I don't get the appeal of "stretch Holmes" - even if we ride him on the bench another 18 months he'll be worth more at the deadline as an expiring than getting a portion of his cap space back. Unless there is someone who is demanding to play for Sacramento right now I don't get it. The worst part is when the stretched portion comes off the books we'll be well over the cap so we can't get that money back. If Barnes wants crazy money I would say we should shop Barnes in a S&T with Holmes and a handshake on this year's pick for a proven wing defender and an energy big.

This might have been the video @SacTownKid was talking about. Who knows if they are right or wrong on this

Those guys at BasketNews are very educated on all things basketball. I really like the skepticism that they bring up about Vezenkov's role in the NBA. I agree with a lot of what they said. I think BOTH Olympiacos and the Kings play an unselfish brand of basketball, however, the main difference with our offense is that the ball doesn't move around that much because a lot scoring runs specifically through Domas. If Sasha can learn how to play Keegan's current role with the team, he'll do really well (15ppg 5rpg on 38% from 3pt).

However, a big point I've brought up before will be Mike Brown's approach and treatment with Sasha. Sasha is almost a lock to win Euroleague MVP. He's 1st in points and 2nd in rebounds. In Euroleague play, he's averaged 17.6pts 7rebs 1.8asts on 54.3/39.8/87.5. My point being is that Sasha is coming over to the NBA with big time accolades. He's a star and playing the best basketball of his career. I don't see him throwing all of that away to ride on our bench and play 15mpg.

I think Sasha will have to be a starter or get starting minutes (at leas 25mpg?). We saw Mike Brown toy with the playing time for all of our bench players last year.. that will not work with Sasha. He's not a rookie or an inexperienced kid. He'll be a 28-year-old seasoned pro who was the best player in Europe. The way Coach Brown treated Lyles, Metu, TD, and even Monk will not fly with Sasha. I don't think any players should get preferable treatment, and we've all heard about the infamous "contracts" that Brown made all the players sign at the beginning of last season, but I think there has to be a different approach when it comes to Sasha. I think the FO has probably already been through in-depth discussions about Sasha's possible role on this team.

Going back to the video from BasketNews.. if Mike Brown forces Sasha to be a backup PF who gets inconsistent minutes, then Sasha will very much be a disappointment in the NBA when comparing it to career overseas.

If you read Moneke's comments about the Kings and about Sasha, then you can tell that he also pretty much agrees with my premise:

Moneke about the Kings and the NBA:
"Situation is very important," he continued about the biggest lesson he learned in the NBA environment. "Situation is very, very important. Some people struggle on certain teams not because they are not good players but because they are in the wrong situation. It's very important to play for a coach, play on a team that believes in you, and will give you opportunities to play the way you wanna play."
Moneke on Sasha and the Kings:
"It depends on how Mike Brown is going to use him," Moneke responded when asked if Vezenkov would be a suitable piece in Brown's schemes.

"I love the way he plays because he doesn't need the ball to affect the game. He is shooting the ball and rebounding very well. What he is doing in the EuroLeague, they will find a way to use him in the right way, I hope for him. He is a great player, and he will be fine. He should be fine if they are telling the truth about how they want to use him."
https://basketnews.com/news-187440-...he-couldve-joined-eyes-vezenkov-in-kings.html

I’m all for Sasha, but I worry about defense. Is he going to play PF? I love read he has a good wingspan, but average lateral quickness. Will he be able to defend the 4?

everything else about his game would be amazing to have. Elite shooting from everywhere on the court, Steph curry-esque, great court vision. Solid, hard-nosed rebounder, and has some post up moves.

Going back to the video from BasketNews.. if Mike Brown forces Sasha to be a backup PF who gets inconsistent minutes, then Sasha will very much be a disappointment in the NBA when comparing it to career overseas.
Yeah the basketnews guys really know their stuff (not saying they are 100% correct they did a video on Petrusev I posted) the situation has the potential to be Bjelica in Minny 2.0 (probs not as bad since Sasha is more a shooter and needs the ball less to be effective) but I'm hoping it's more a Joe Ingles in Utah situation. The one positive of Brown and the Kings is they don't really value defense in the regular season and try outscore teams which would be in Sasha favour coming off the bench in Sac since that will be a weakness/long adjustment in the NBA.

Bringing Sasha over needs to be a priority this off-season. We're unlikely to sign someone in FA who will make as big an impact. Plus, with Barnes possibly leaving, we need to replace his production and Vezenkov is probably an even better fit, bar the defense.

Adding another dead-eye shooter who can also rebound could be huge for us.

I'm not worried about him being unhappy. If he comes over, he's going to get minutes. I like the Joe Ingles comparison for him but he is better offensively (and likely not as good defensively, but who knows).

There's nothing to suggest Sasha is entitled or won't buy in to the team ethos. Yes, he's going to want minutes, but I don't believe any of our bench guys are going to keep him out of the rotation. He should easily be a 25 mpg guy and possibly more depending on how he settles in. What he's doing in Europe os seriously impressive. He is ready to step in and be a contributor on a good team.

I think the difference between his estimate and mine probably has to do with mine taking into account the #24 pick and three roster charges.
Are we locked into 24? I thought the teams that finished behind us in the standings but that have advanced beyond the 1st round fell behind us? That's how the NFL works. Does it not work that way in the NBA?

I thought we'd be settling in with the 19th pick.

If it's true HB wants $94/4 years is true, then that just made Monte's hard decision on HB super easy. It would be time to move on......
I really like HB. He's a Tar heel. My wife absolutely LOVES him.

But 4/94 can't happen. Not even close. Even 4/80 is too much IMO. Not for a solid all-around player that can't be counted on to step up in the postseason. I'd be hard pressed to offer anything more than 4/72 which is essentially what he's making now. And even that is a big stretch IMO.

Based upon his limitations come postseason, I'd say 4/60 is much more commensurate.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Well if a team with a worse record wins the whole thing they pick last don't they?
No.

When did that change? Cause I swear the team in the Finals used to have the last 2 picks.
Well, if that has ever been the case, it has been a long time. I checked back (every 10 years) to 1980 and the last two picks in the draft in every case corresponded to final regular season standings and did not correspond to finals participants.

I really like HB. He's a Tar heel. My wife absolutely LOVES him.

But 4/94 can't happen. Not even close. Even 4/80 is too much IMO. Not for a solid all-around player that can't be counted on to step up in the postseason. I'd be hard pressed to offer anything more than 4/72 which is essentially what he's making now. And even that is a big stretch IMO.

Based upon his limitations come postseason, I'd say 4/60 is much more commensurate.
I'm kinda wouldn't mind if HB really does get something close to $94mil/4 years from another team besides the Kings...... that means he's taking care of his family because he's a good dude and the Kings can use that money to try and upgrade without feeling guilty...... it would be a win-win IMHO.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm kinda wouldn't mind if HB really does get something close to $94mil/4 years from another team besides the Kings...... that means he's taking care of his family because he's a good dude and the Kings can use that money to try and upgrade without feeling guilty...... it would be a win-win IMHO.
Pretty sure I could take care of my family on a paltry $60 million over the next 4 :D

Pretty sure I could take care of my family on a paltry $60 million over the next 4 :D
Yes, definitely, but if his camp believes he's worth $94/4 years, there is a giant gap between what I believe the Kings should offer and what he wants.... if that's the case, I would use the money on a younger guy with some upside that address our need for better defense and length at the PF like Naz Reed for a much lower price tag. And we can do it without feeling guilty;)