Richaun to miss rest of the ('21-'22) season

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Allexis Holmes, ex-wife of Kings player, sought justice in courts that set her up to fail
May 18, 2022 05:00 AM
Allexis Holmes was set up to lose this case before it even started.
Holmes lost the custody battle for her son when she agreed with her ex-husband, Sacramento Kings center Richaun Holmes, to go to private arbitration. Richaun has millions of dollars, an expensive legal team, and the support of an NBA franchise deeply invested in maintaining his public image — and theirs.
A recent ruling in a Georgia court grants Richaun full custody of the couple’s 6-year-old son, a development that was triumphantly paraded around Sacramento by the Kings’ communications team. But there’s nothing to celebrate here, much less to gloat about.
No one ever wins in custody disputes. But when the custody battle is between someone who is rich and someone who is not, one side is set up to lose. That’s what happened here; Allexis lost to a system that benefits the wealthy party. Private mediation is often recommended in family court, but according to documents available from the Superior Court of Riverside County for parents in the same situation as the Holmeses, it’s not a recommended process when the parties “lack equal bargaining power or have a history of domestic violence.” As the ex-wife of an NBA star, alleging child abuse, Allexis falls in both categories.
Private mediation is a system that plays out in secret, which is what this terrible dispute was when the Kings mysteriously ended Richuan Holmes’ season in March. There was no specific reason given, but as The Bee reported, he left the team because his ex-wife was seeking a restraining order in Sacramento.
Allexis claims Richaun is hiding behind a private court mediator whose ruling ultimately decided the fate of all three cases. Richaun has been paying for a private mediator in Los Angeles for years, Allexis claims.
By bringing her case to Sacramento and to a third court in Georgia, Allexis finally stepped out from beneath the shadow of a deal she erroneously agreed to when she thought she was helping Richaun’s career by keeping their custody battle quiet.
Meanwhile, because of that mediator’s decision, Allexis has been forced to live in the Sacramento area even though it is not her home. She has been forced to live in a city that idolizes her son’s father.
She pursued the case for a third time, in Georgia, not because she was trying to evade the California court system, but because that’s where she lives. After her story was made public, Allexis claimed she received threatening text messages from people she believes to be associates of her ex-husband, which prompted her to seek a third restraining order in Georgia.
The court in Fulton County, Ga., remanded her back to the private Los Angeles-based mediator, stating in documents that it was “disturbed by (Allexis Holmes’) apparent attempt to use the protections afforded to victims of domestic violence by this Court and the laws of this state to evade the Custody Order of the Superior Court of Los Angeles County, California.”

There’s more but it’s pretty much just the writer ascribing a whole power dynamic to this case that doesn’t seem to actually exist.

Man, the narrative she is creating. We idolize Richaun? lol.

As in all these types of cases, it's the child that loses 100% of the time. But there is no chance court fully reverse custody if there is a shred of evidence that abuse was happening. Especially for a father. It's almost unheard of actually. I have numerous friends who have gone through this as the father, similar situations, that took years.

As always, my disclaimer is I have no idea what actually happened, but this lady apparently was in the house during the alleged incidents from how she talks about them. JFC

Allexis Holmes, ex-wife of Kings player, sought justice in courts that set her up to fail
May 18, 2022 05:00 AM
Allexis Holmes was set up to lose this case before it even started.
Holmes lost the custody battle for her son when she agreed with her ex-husband, Sacramento Kings center Richaun Holmes, to go to private arbitration. Richaun has millions of dollars, an expensive legal team, and the support of an NBA franchise deeply invested in maintaining his public image — and theirs.
A recent ruling in a Georgia court grants Richaun full custody of the couple’s 6-year-old son, a development that was triumphantly paraded around Sacramento by the Kings’ communications team. But there’s nothing to celebrate here, much less to gloat about.
No one ever wins in custody disputes. But when the custody battle is between someone who is rich and someone who is not, one side is set up to lose. That’s what happened here; Allexis lost to a system that benefits the wealthy party. Private mediation is often recommended in family court, but according to documents available from the Superior Court of Riverside County for parents in the same situation as the Holmeses, it’s not a recommended process when the parties “lack equal bargaining power or have a history of domestic violence.” As the ex-wife of an NBA star, alleging child abuse, Allexis falls in both categories.
Private mediation is a system that plays out in secret, which is what this terrible dispute was when the Kings mysteriously ended Richuan Holmes’ season in March. There was no specific reason given, but as The Bee reported, he left the team because his ex-wife was seeking a restraining order in Sacramento.
Allexis claims Richaun is hiding behind a private court mediator whose ruling ultimately decided the fate of all three cases. Richaun has been paying for a private mediator in Los Angeles for years, Allexis claims.
By bringing her case to Sacramento and to a third court in Georgia, Allexis finally stepped out from beneath the shadow of a deal she erroneously agreed to when she thought she was helping Richaun’s career by keeping their custody battle quiet.
Meanwhile, because of that mediator’s decision, Allexis has been forced to live in the Sacramento area even though it is not her home. She has been forced to live in a city that idolizes her son’s father.
She pursued the case for a third time, in Georgia, not because she was trying to evade the California court system, but because that’s where she lives. After her story was made public, Allexis claimed she received threatening text messages from people she believes to be associates of her ex-husband, which prompted her to seek a third restraining order in Georgia.
The court in Fulton County, Ga., remanded her back to the private Los Angeles-based mediator, stating in documents that it was “disturbed by (Allexis Holmes’) apparent attempt to use the protections afforded to victims of domestic violence by this Court and the laws of this state to evade the Custody Order of the Superior Court of Los Angeles County, California.”

There’s more but it’s pretty much just the writer ascribing a whole power dynamic to this case that doesn’t seem to actually exist.
It must be the time-line. Forced to live in Sac but went to Georgia because that's where she lives? Maybe forced to live in Sacramento now rather than then when she skipped town? Otherwise contradictory.

This lady is cray cray.

Here's the untold story: States collect fed kickbacks on their collection of child support. Many states also now mandate that the payee pay through a state collection agency to insure those kickbacks, and on top of that they also charge a processing fee to use the system they force on dads, er I mean payees.

The "rich" parent is typically set up to either split equally or lose custody, insuring the most child support is sent, and then those matching funds are taken in by the state. If Holmes has sole custody, it's likely no child support will be collected, the state loses.

This is why leaving the state is an absolute loss. It's not because of the well being of the child, it's because of this matching fed funds scheme and so therefore states have a gentleperson's agreement not to approve out of state movement.

oh also, I did mediation. It's non binding.

either party can withdraw at any time, hire expensive lawyers, and go to court. Who will always decide exactly the way the mediator tells them they will. Mediation is generally way less expensive because it allows the parties to only pay one attorney instead of two, and arrive at the same result, or they can agree to a different result in a way that is beneficial to everyone.

The courts resolutions are whacky and make everyone miserable. In my case, for example, after mediation failed we went through a full custody evaluation. The end result was a near 50-50 split of parenting time, but it was Mondays at mom's, Tuesdays with me for dinner, Every Thursday with me and every other weekend was split - the child was changing households 3 or 4 times per week! And the only reason we finally came off this schedule and went to one that had less handoffs was the massive shutdowns during covid. When I suddenly had him 4 out of 7 nights and we eventually went week to week when everyone returned to in person work.

Oh, btw, there is no way to read the above description of the decision from the Georgia court as "Richuan only won on a technicality".

I wish they wouldn't report on stuff like this. It isn't news and it isn't anyone's business other than the family.
^^ THIS.

Unfortunately our society is largely nosy, hooked on drama of any kind and the media will report on anything they believe will get them views.

But you’re 100% correct that this should be a private matter.

And here I thought KF was finally over the unwarranted and unhealthy love affair with Kelly Oubre. Silly me.

4 teams by age 26. 5, if he leaves Charlotte. But, yeah sure, he’s a tremendous must have.
It's obvious that the prize here is #15 (not Oubre). Oubre is filler to make salaries work but would be a decent bench wing at the same time.

Having said that, I have Holmes value as a late 1st not a fringe lottery pick. #15 is about the value I'd equate to an expiring Barnes.

And here I thought KF was finally over the unwarranted and unhealthy love affair with Kelly Oubre. Silly me.

4 teams by age 26. 5, if he leaves Charlotte. But, yeah sure, he’s a tremendous must have.
Love affair? Huh?

It's obvious that the prize here is #15 (not Oubre). Oubre is filler to make salaries work but would be a decent bench wing at the same time.

Having said that, I have Holmes value as a late 1st not a fringe lottery pick. #15 is about the value I'd equate to an expiring Barnes.
Exactly. Oubre is salary filler in this deal, but it doesn't hurt that he adds wing depth and cap flexibility since he's only got one year on his deal vs at least two more for Holmes. He should play decently in a contract year so that doesn't hurt either, but for me the real goal is getting a late lottery pick for Holmes. Not to mention putting Richaun in a good situation. He won't start in Sacramento and can't play alongside Sabonis. In Charlotte he'd be a great pick & roll partner for LaMelo.

Love affair? Huh?

Exactly. Oubre is salary filler in this deal, but it doesn't hurt that he adds wing depth and cap flexibility since he's only got one year on his deal vs at least two more for Holmes. He should play decently in a contract year so that doesn't hurt either, but for me the real goal is getting a late lottery pick for Holmes. Not to mention putting Richaun in a good situation. He won't start in Sacramento and can't play alongside Sabonis. In Charlotte he'd be a great pick & roll partner for LaMelo.
I don't disagree with any of this other than the valuation you place on Holmes. I don't think his value is #15. I see his value closer to #25 (e.g., Powell & #26 for Holmes).

I don't disagree with any of this other than the valuation you place on Holmes. I don't think his value is #15. I see his value closer to #25 (e.g., Powell & #26 for Holmes).
That's not my valuation. I was responding to a tweet from a Hornets fan in post #75 that suggested that trade.

And if I'm the Hornets I think it might make more sense to just stand pat and grab Mark Williams with one of their late lotto picks than to trade for Richaun.

Of course, Richaun had significantly more trade value early last year when was playing really well. I'm sure McNair tried to move him at the deadline after the Sabonis deal was agreed to and didn't find any takers. We'll see if there's a market for him this summer.

That's not my valuation. I was responding to a tweet from a Hornets fan in post #75 that suggested that trade.

And if I'm the Hornets I think it might make more sense to just stand pat and grab Mark Williams with one of their late lotto picks than to trade for Richaun.

Of course, Richaun had significantly more trade value early last year when was playing really well. I'm sure McNair tried to move him at the deadline after the Sabonis deal was agreed to and didn't find any takers. We'll see if there's a market for him this summer.
Got it. I'd be shocked if that's how the franchise values Holmes (vs. just a random fan throwing something out there).

If I'm being honest with myself and coming from a Hornets perspective, I'd probably move PJ Washington for a pick (not Holmes) and look to clear Rozier's salary this year/next year to really open up cap space for the 2024 offseason. Maybe a #20/#25 for PJ Washington makes some sense. This would leave the Hornets with the following players under contract heading into the 2024 offseason:

Miles Bridges
LaMelo Ball
James Bouknight
Kai Jones
JT Thor
2023 or 2024 CHA 1st

Plus they'd have over $30 mil in cap space to look at adding another significant piece to that young, up & coming core.

I am really starting to wonder if there is a trade partner out there on Holmes. It really seems like only a couple teams need a player like him. If we do trade him it might end up being a salary matching in a bigger deal situation. I think he has value, just not a lot of fits

I am really starting to wonder if there is a trade partner out there on Holmes. It really seems like only a couple teams need a player like him. If we do trade him it might end up being a salary matching in a bigger deal situation. I think he has value, just not a lot of fits
Probably the 3 teams that checked in on him in FA: CHA/DAL/TOR. I think there's quite a few potential swaps that make sense.

Idk why but I keep imagining a triangle offense would work extremely well with our roster. Without any moves, if it was just Davion-Fox-Barnes-Holmes-Sabonis, the movement and setups the triangle provides would make sense in the half court with this squad. Both bigs can screen and roll, Sabonis could develop a midrange to open up Holmes rolling or his pushshot. Davion, Fox, and Barnes can move around the bigs and hopefully present a respectable 3point%, or all can get to the hole, or dish to the bigs.