Richaun to miss rest of the ('21-'22) season

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I have a buddy, who is a family law attorney. He hates his job and says divorce, custody battles makes everyone (both sides) batsh*t crazy.
I hate the whole industry I think my lawyer ultimately came around to believing in our case but I didn't care for her too much more than I did the other guy who was a weasel.

Holmes is an easy target. He just signed a 50 million dollar deal and all that ex is seeing is $$$ in my pocket. Justice ought to come to the light all in due time.
I agree. Money tends to be at the heart of these issues. My cousin-in-law recently paid $500k USD to his ex-wife just to get joint custody of their son. Well, not him, but his parents. They live in Makati, so $500k USD is like $5M. No domestic violence, no violence at all. $500k just to get joint custody. SMH.

I hate the whole industry I think my lawyer ultimately came around to believing in our case but I didn't care for her too much more than I did the other guy who was a weasel.
Yea, one of the reasons why he hates his job is the duty to "zealously" represent his clients. Makes it hard emotionally/psychologically, if he doesn't believe his client, but has to do everything, professionally, to advocate for his client. Glad your attorney came around.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I agree. Money tends to be at the heart of these issues. My cousin-in-law recently paid $500k USD to his ex-wife just to get joint custody of their son. Well, not him, but his parents. They live in Makati, so $500k USD is like $5M. No domestic violence, no violence at all. $500k just to get joint custody. SMH.
there are murky waters all around us, beware who you share a bed with

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Bear in mind the standard is not guilt and innocence in family court, it is "best interest of the child". I don't want to go back and give the Bee article any more attention but it sure seemed like the injury described - some type of facial laceration the author/claimant describe as bleeding from a blow to the head - is the result of typical horseplay by children and negligence at worst. If he had punched, slapped, or deliberately hit a 6 year old there is almost no way the vague language used in this report would not have been replaced with a more serious accusation here. There's absolutely no reason to label this as "domestic violence" unless charges are filed, it's an active investigation right now so there is no cover up. I still can't believe the Bee ran this trash piece (except I sort of can based on a story they ran on my mom 40 years ago) which is certainly going to open them up to a nasty civil suit by the Holmes family.

Bear in mind the standard is not guilt and innocence in family court, it is "best interest of the child". I don't want to go back and give the Bee article any more attention but it sure seemed like the injury described - some type of facial laceration the author/claimant describe as bleeding from a blow to the head - is the result of typical horseplay by children and negligence at worst. If he had punched, slapped, or deliberately hit a 6 year old there is almost no way the vague language used in this report would not have been replaced with a more serious accusation here. There's absolutely no reason to label this as "domestic violence" unless charges are filed, it's an active investigation right now so there is no cover up. I still can't believe the Bee ran this trash piece (except I sort of can based on a story they ran on my mom 40 years ago) which is certainly going to open them up to a nasty civil suit by the Holmes family.
That article was definitely heavy-handed. I understand the need to support folks who come forward with allegations against powerful people. And there are a lot of victims of domestic violence that will never have an advocate. It’s an awful problem.

But coming at Holmes like he is guilty is also not fair.

PS - the Bee has lost much of its journalistic integrity.

there are murky waters all around us, beware who you share a bed with
I'm convinced that the "sexual revolution" and the normalization of casual relations has contributed to the high rates of divorce. Worst thing that ever happen to American culture, in my humble Italian opinion.

My heart goes out to those suffering though it.

Put a ring on it first boys. For your own sake.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm not really sure this is the right forum to get into arguments about marriage and divorce. Not *technically* politics or religion, but those are going to creep in real fast, so maybe we can just let this discussion be.

It's unfortunate this news broke in an opinion piece. As we all know, society has a hard time differentiating between fact an opinion. The writer has an agenda, and that's fine. But she used Richaun and the attention the breaking news would garner in order to lift her agenda without regards to the damage she could cause this person in the process.

Whether she knows it or not, she has also victimized Richaun's son by throwing this information out there in public and accusing his father of a crime before anyone knows the facts. This was irresponsible by the Sac Bee in my opinion. The article would have been fine if he had been found guilty. Not before.

I'm not really sure this is the right forum to get into arguments about marriage and divorce. Not *technically* politics or religion, but those are going to creep in real fast, so maybe we can just let this discussion be.
now look 10,000 years of wars and religious upheavals may not have established a perfect harmony in human relations, but I really think we should give this kingsfans.com thread a shot at it

It's unfortunate this news broke in an opinion piece. As we all know, society has a hard time differentiating between fact an opinion. The writer has an agenda, and that's fine. But she used Richaun and the attention the breaking news would garner in order to lift her agenda without regards to the damage she could cause this person in the process.

Whether she knows it or not, she has also victimized Richaun's son by throwing this information out there in public and accusing his father of a crime before anyone knows the facts. This was irresponsible by the Sac Bee in my opinion. The article would have been fine if he had been found guilty. Not before.
he’s a public figure, so unfortunately it’s fair game.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm convinced that the "sexual revolution" and the normalization of casual relations has contributed to the high rates of divorce. Worst thing that ever happen to American culture, in my humble Italian opinion.

My heart goes out to those suffering though it.

Put a ring on it first boys. For your own sake.
what part of Italy do you come from?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I didn't really put time into the study, but its a % of married people, so that is kinda irrelevant.
I don't think that it's irrelevant, but I also don't think that it's a negative, as @serbiangoat s post appears to be suggesting (I am willing to stipulate that I may be mischaracterizing their post). If divorce rates are down, even in part, because marriage rates are also down, I don't grok why anyone would argue that as not being good? If anything, it indicates that fewer people are getting married that had no business being married, in the first place. And, quite aside from "blaming" it on something ridiculous like the "sexual revolution," I think that any decline in marriage rates may have a lot to do with the women's revolution. Women today have a lot more options than their grandmothers did: in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't very long ago that there were still several states in which women weren't allowed to work outside of the home, go to the doctor, open a bank account, or even get a driver's license, without her husband's permission. And, by "wasn't very long ago," I mean that most of us have mothers or grandmothers who actually lived through that, and many of them are still alive. Women today don't have to stay in bad marriages, for security, or other reasons, in fact, they don't have to settle for bad marriages to trash dudes, at all, And hey, guess what? When you have fewer people in bad marriages, you have fewer people leaving those marriages... funny how that works.

I think that we, as human beings, have a tendency to want to sanitize the past, to only remember the good stuff, and pretend like the bad stuff never happened. Like, we reminisce fondly about how Pop-pop and Meemaw were married for sixty years, but we don't like to talk about how Pop-pop might have come home drunk every Friday, and beat Meemaw's ass, or how Meemaw might have lowkey been a child bride, or how Pop-pop might have had a whole other family, on the other side of town, that nobody knew about, until the funeral. We tend to overlook those parts of the "good ol' days," Also, and at the risk of skirting the line, let's touch on something that has impacted both men and women: marriage equality. How many thousands of people stayed in loveless marriages, because they weren't legally allowed to marry the person they really wanted to be with? One thing that appeared to be missing from the article you linked to, @macadocious, that I would have been curious to know, is what impact marriage equality has had on the declining divorce rate?

Oh man, you actually put thought into this.

joke account Vinny makes joke post.

I think, huh, that doesn’t sound right

*googles*

(Links first result without actually reading it)

huzzah?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I feel bad for the kid. He's the loser no matter how you slice this one. I just hope this is resolved asap for everybody concerned.

Journalism has become the scummiest of "professions." It's not about seeking the truth. It's about the "narrative" they wish to push.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Oh man, you actually put thought into this.

joke account Vinny makes joke post.

I think, huh, that doesn’t sound right

*googles*

(Links first result without actually reading it)

huzzah?
If it makes you feel better, this is something I've had thoughts on for years, but never had an opening to bring up on this message board, before. Particularly the "good ol' days" stuff. Like, I also lived through some of those "good ol' days": they weren't that good.