Richaun to miss rest of the ('21-'22) season

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm sure we'll see a retraction any moment now.

Also wonder who on earth told mom she could leave the state, that is the one sure fire guaranteed way a mom can lose custody.
I honestly wonder if she was trying to go on the lamb or something because I’m pretty sure “illegally leaving the state with the subject of a custody hearing” is right at the top of the list of custody battle no-no’s with dealing drugs or neglecting the child.

Hard to care about basketball when your home life is hell and you are concerned about losing your child. Hope everything turns alright for Richaun. Always have liked how he approaches the world and the game
Add in getting Covid, his cousin dying, getting poked in the eye like 4 times and having to mentally handle losing your starting spot after grinding your whole NBA career for the job/contract? Yeah... Pretty understandable why he faded at the end of the year.

Dude has been one of the only bright-spots during the Luke Walton era the last 2 years. Hoping we can find him a good home where he can continue to start.

gunks

Hall of Famer
No wonder Holmes was hot dookie the latter half of the year.

I still think we might look to move him as the fit isn't great with Domas, BUT..... I'd expect a bounce back season now that he has that awful drama behind him.

He could be amazing for us off the bench if he's still a King next season.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
justice has been served. Based on the way Richaun seemed raised by his wholesome God-fearing parents, it just didn’t look likely that he would be a person of domestic violence.
if you read the allegations the child came home with a small cut or scratch and it was alleged that he punched or otherwise viciously struck the child. nothing quite added up to serious injury but the language used was medical reporting terminology which can imply more serious than it was. "child sustained a facial laceration while under the care of father" sounds like dad could have taken the child's head off but it could just as easily be ran across the hall chasing a ball and hit the door jam.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
PJ Washington is a good fit but I'd 100% take a deal for Oubre and #15
Feel like having a player that will help today is better than #15 especially given the need to make a jump.
Although if we jump into the top 4 or Murray fell to where we were at that could change the calculus a lot. Given the draft not seeming so sexy beyond the top 10 I could see this finally being the year we get a second FRP on or around draft day especially with some of the excess players we picked up at the end of last year.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
There's basically no minutes left for Holmes if he does come back so this is house money at this point. I'd be thrilled with a first round pick and some kind of salary filler. Kelly Oubre has one year left and it's partially guaranteed. That's a slam dunk no brainer of a deal to me. And he could actually help fill in our wing depth chart and get some real playing time if he decides to suddenly have a career shooting year.

Oh boy I bet the SacBee is sure glad it jumped to rash conclusions on this one.
I try to wait until all the facts come out before forming an opinion on matters like this, but that woman’s piece basically bypassed judge and jury and convicted him. No if and or buts. Maybe he did do what was said, but unless you have rock solid evidence to back that up, that’s just a dangerous game to play

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feel like having a player that will help today is better than #15 especially given the need to make a jump.
Although if we jump into the top 4 or Murray fell to where we were at that could change the calculus a lot. Given the draft not seeming so sexy beyond the top 10 I could see this finally being the year we get a second FRP on or around draft day especially with some of the excess players we picked up at the end of last year.
Richaun SHOULD be a good trade piece given how good he was (and what his advanced stats looked like) to start last season, but I'd be surprised if he nets that much for McNair & co.

That said, if that deal were available, you're getting a bench wing in Oubre who put up 15 ppg and 4 rpg this last season. That definitely fills a need. Plus Oubre is in a contract year so he's likely to play well while being a low risk move since the Kings can just let him walk if it doesn't work out.

But as for the pick, there are a lot of guys I like in that late lottery range. Eason, Branham, Agbaji, Sochan, Liddell and Brown. Likely at least 2-3 of those guys are there at #15. Possibly Dieng too though I'm still not all that high on him.

Mock drafts are pretty inaccurate at this stage, but looking at Tankathon, The Ringer, and NBA Draft Room would all suggest the Kings at 7 or 8 could grab Mathurin and at 15 could take Tari Eason. I'm still in favor of re-signing DDV and making an offer to Hartenstein to be Sabonis' backup. And the Kings have two 2nd rounders to take some swings with

C Sabonis/Hartenstein/Len or Queta
PF Lyles/Eason/Metu
SF Barnes/Oubre/Harkless or Holiday
SG DiVincenzo/Mathurin/Davis
PG Fox/Mitchell/FA or 2nd round pick PG

is a pretty solid and very deep team that still has a lot of development potential.

Last edited:
Richaun SHOULD be a good trade piece given how good he was (and what his advanced stats looked like to start last season) but I'd be surprised if he nets that much for McNair & co.

That said, if that deal were available, you're getting a bench wing in Oubre who put up 15 ppg and 4 rpg this last season. That definitely fills a need. Plus Oubre is in a contract year so he's likely to play well while being a low risk move since the Kings can just let him walk if it doesn't work out.

But as for the pick, there are a lot of guys I like in that late lottery range. Eason, Branham, Agbaji, Sochan, Liddell and Brown. Likely at least 2-3 of those guys are there at #15. Possibly Dieng too though I'm still not all that high on him.

Mock drafts are pretty inaccurate at this stage, but looking at Tankathon, The Ringer, and NBA Draft Room would all suggest the Kings at 7 or 8 could grab Mathurin and at 15 could take Tari Eason. I'm still in favor of re-signing DDV and making an offer to Hartenstein to be Sabonis' backup. And the Kings have two 2nd rounders to take some swings with

PF Lyles/Eason/Metu
PG Fox/Mitchell/FA or 2nd pick PGs

is a pretty solid and very deep team that still has a lot of development potential.
yup getting that extra pick is crucial for us. There’s guys that i think would be great rotational or even future starters for us in this draft. I’d even trade something like next next years pick to move up with the late lottery pick to move up

Richaun SHOULD be a good trade piece given how good he was (and what his advanced stats looked like) to start last season, but I'd be surprised if he nets that much for McNair & co.

PF Lyles/Eason/Metu

You had me with everything until here. :cool: Hartenstein coming to be Brown's new defensive anchor.

But yeah, this would be an incredible off-season. Mathurin/Eason gives you real size on the wings+infusion of defense. Hartenstein just turned 24 with I think are several elite hidden skills with his passing and rim protection. Oubre would be great for some wing length, but I'd be just as happy with Cody Martin S&T+15 or even Plumlee+15. And obviously the PJ+filler that all of us have mocked forever.

Depending on contract sizing, I'd love to go snag Otto Porter to plug in at the 4. Familiar with Brown, would fit perfectly as a spacer/defender, fully knows and embraces being an impact role player now. And if we do end up with a 3/4 wing like a Murray/Eason/Griffin, Porter would be an excellent bridge to them, similar to what he's doing now with Kuminga. The Kings have been weirdly bad at getting vet role players to actually stay good when they're a Kings uni, so hopefully a guy like Porter could break that trend.

If Donte D is a legit starter next to Fox - Rolling out Davion, TD, Holiday and Holmes off the bench could be huge for the Kings. But they need to get that other legit wing next to Barnes for it to work.
I'd be fine with this, especially in a season where we're trying to bank as many wins as possible. Holmes is our best trade asset, but I wouldn't dump him just for the sake of dumping him; he's still an awesome player and would be the best bench big in the NBA.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

PF Lyles/Eason/Metu

Getting both Mathurin and Eason would be so money. Tari "the Slim Reaper returns" Eason can play the 3 or 4 spots and maybe even some small ball 5 if we want to implement our own death lineup. Bennedict "the real Maple Jordan" Mathurin is probably best at SG but he can also get minutes at the SF position to open up extended playing time for Mitchell and DiVincenzo. That's a whole lot of lineup flexibility and legit NBA depth at the wing positions for Coach Brown.