Race for ROY - revised title

Redd dropped 57? Last rookie I remember going for 50 was AI. Well regardless that was the best rookie performance I have ever seen.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Absolutely. He got better preparation for the professional game, a head start on marketing opportunities (Under Armour contract), more time in the weight room, and he got paid to do it. Seems like a no brainer to me. It isn't the best thing for every player -- Jennings worked really hard to make it work-- but it's ridiculous to force kids to go to college for one year when they're already good enough to be professional basketball players.
I gotta cry foul on this. You seem to be distorting the argument here: kids aren't "forced" to go to college. If they were "forced" to go, then Jennings would have had to go. Why should the NBA not be allowed to impose an age restriction? IYAM, the quality of play in the league has improved since the NBA imposed the one-year limit; more rookies are coming to the league actually ready to contribute to an NBA team, at least, in my opinion.

If I had anything to say about it, they'd raise the requirements to two years out of high school.

Jennings definitely has the makings of an elite offensive NBA player, but he is nowhere close to Evans on D. For our team, I believe Evans is and will be the best player.

He had 57, not as a rookie, a couple years back.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2006111115

Jennings set the rookie record.
Thanks, I knew there was no way Redd put up 57 his rookie year. I think Wilt has the all time rookie record with 58. I think AI was the last rookie with 50. Charlie Villanueva had like 47 a few years back but I believe its been a long time since we have seen a rook go off like this. Jenning is putting him self in very elite company with what he accomplished tonight.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I gotta cry foul on this. You seem to be distorting the argument here: kids aren't "forced" to go to college. If they were "forced" to go, then Jennings would have had to go. Why should the NBA not be allowed to impose an age restriction? IYAM, the quality of play in the league has improved since the NBA imposed the one-year limit; more rookies are coming to the league actually ready to contribute to an NBA team, at least, in my opinion.

If I had anything to say about it, they'd raise the requirements to two years out of high school.
Only because you can't actually force players to go to college (and not all of them would qualify). The age limit effectively did force most top high school players to go to college. Rose, Mayo, Oden, Wall. None of those guys would have gone to college otherwise. Jennings has shown that some high school players would be better served turning pro right away. That's what he did and he's a better player a year down the line because of it. Lebron was an instant success as well.

You're right that the age rule alone isn't the problem. It's all the agents and college coaches who see dollar signs instead of players and abuse the system. From what I've seen the level of development most players get in the NCAA system is rather low. In a lot of cases the elite players succeed in spite of it rather than because of it. And the NBA is doing nothing to help these players find alternate means of advancing their careers. Basically you find a college program to play for or you're on your own. The NBA did nothing to help Brandon Jennings when his eligibility at Arizona was in question and their head coach had just left. And before the draft there was story after story about how Jennings had hurt his draft stock by playing overseas. Draft stock, yes. Actual development? Quite the opposite. But the NBA will be rolling in jersey sales now. I'm sure they'll find a way to spin this story to get what they want.

The NBA doesn't exist without it's players. What's going on between the NBA, the NCAA, and corporate sponsored youth basketball programs is collusion. If the 30 teams of the NBA don't want to foot the bill to help develop these players, they should at least be doing something to help match them up with teams that will.

Wow, looks like somebody found an unselfish version of AI. This guy is going to be really good obviously. I'm still happy with Tyreke obviously but dang Jennings is sick too.

Man, is this guy an AI clone or what? I would still draft Reke if the draft were redone today... Jennings is making that imaginary redo much tougher by the day though.

At least we got a stud too... these other teams must be pissed!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
One career high night - even if it is 55 points - doesn't make ROY. What's happening, however, is we might actually have a really interesting battle for the title of top rook this year, to the benefit of basketball fans everywhere...well, except Golden State. :p

K

Kingsguy881

One career high night - even if it is 55 points - doesn't make ROY. What's happening, however, is we might actually have a really interesting battle for the title of top rook this year, to the benefit of basketball fans everywhere...well, except Golden State. :p

Love the new sig quote of Westphal.

I wonder if anyone at the league offices is as smart as the poster who suggested they televise the Evans/Jennings matchup. What a night that is going to be...

I liked Jennings from the beginning and I hope that we would draft him. But I love Evans because he is ours and has a future that is as bright if not brighter than Jennings. I do not think the league questioned Jennings talent but his mental approach that worried many. This is the reason he fell so hard. He reminds me of my avatar. People change and I hope Jennings is one of them because he has the talent to become a star in this league.

He has been the best rookie so far even without this 50+ point performance!!

I think his success is a great ad for Euroleague and killer for NCAA. Obviously, I am hyperbolizing now but Jennings proved to many people that 1 year in Euroleague is better than 1 .. ok, may be even 2 or 3 years in college.
Or does it have more to do with Jennings ability? Me thinks yes. Brandon Jennings reminds me ALOT of a young Allen Iverson.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Only because you can't actually force players to go to college (and not all of them would qualify). The age limit effectively did force most top high school players to go to college. Rose, Mayo, Oden, Wall. None of those guys would have gone to college otherwise. Jennings has shown that some high school players would be better served turning pro right away. That's what he did and he's a better player a year down the line because of it. Lebron was an instant success as well.

You're right that the age rule alone isn't the problem. It's all the agents and college coaches who see dollar signs instead of players and abuse the system. From what I've seen the level of development most players get in the NCAA system is rather low. In a lot of cases the elite players succeed in spite of it rather than because of it. And the NBA is doing nothing to help these players find alternate means of advancing their careers. Basically you find a college program to play for or you're on your own. The NBA did nothing to help Brandon Jennings when his eligibility at Arizona was in question and their head coach had just left. And before the draft there was story after story about how Jennings had hurt his draft stock by playing overseas. Draft stock, yes. Actual development? Quite the opposite. But the NBA will be rolling in jersey sales now. I'm sure they'll find a way to spin this story to get what they want.

The NBA doesn't exist without it's players. What's going on between the NBA, the NCAA, and corporate sponsored youth basketball programs is collusion. If the 30 teams of the NBA don't want to foot the bill to help develop these players, they should at least be doing something to help match them up with teams that will.
This whole thing about Brandon Jennings being helped by playing Europe is a tad overstated, to say the least. He was considered an elite talent out of high school, struggled in Europe, came back to the NBA and is showing the elite talent again. Did Europe advance his development? Or was he just an elite talent all along? di the NCAA obvoiously radically advance Tyreke's development? I mean afterall, he too was an elite talent, went to college and had a good but not truly great seaosn, and now is showing the elite stuff again. Clearly therefore the NCAA is the way to go for elite talents right?

As an aside, the NBA is an elite organization with every right inthe world not to have ot pay dip**** kids who would have trouble reading a Dr. Seuss book millions of dollars to learn how to play basketball on its dime. And gee, if that means that they have to go to college and maybe accidentally learn something about the world from the people around them with a more mature vision of their future, well good. If they want to go to Europe for a crash course in growing up, well good too. NCAA of course works betetr for the NBA...and quite possibly for the players too of course. The exposure level there gives a massive jump to fame/marketing.

Defense wins championships. What would you rather have? AI (incredible scorer)who has never won a championship ....

or D-Wade ( good/great scorer and Great defense), who plays both sides of the game?

But ya, right now Jennings is in the lead for ROY...I admit that. But we still got TONS more games to play...

Defense wins championships. What would you rather have? AI (incredible scorer)who has never won a championship ....

or D-Wade ( good/great scorer and Great defense), who plays both sides of the game?

But ya, right now Jennings is in the lead for ROY...I admit that. But we still got TONS more games to play...
After 9 and 7 games Evans is Wade and Jenning is AI... maybe you can determined the course of their careers with your awesome analysis, but I think I'll simple enjoy watching them develop a bit before I determine their chances to compete for championships. both kids are very talented and just because we have one on our team doesn't mean we have to tear the other down. You can be a Kings fan and respect Jennings game or simple what he accomplished last night.

His jumper seems like it will be on/off... does not follow through on his wrist, just flicks it. he also loads up sort of like Redd... if he can actually be consistent this kid has the ability to be special. altough that was said when he went to Europe. Before his immaturity and lack of playing time kicked in. Also, he's basically a one man show in there. great showing by the rook, but man I think this is way above what his career will be.

Way premature. It takes more than scoring. I admit, Jennings could very well be the best this year, but once Reke gets that Jumpshot, look out. He's a whole 'nother kind of point guard. Who would you rather have, Iverson or a bigger Walt Frazier?
This.

Jennings has the makings of an Iverson (for the good as well as for the bad) 'Reke has the makings of a Billups 2.0 (never saw Frazier play) Flynn has the makings of an Isiah, and Rubio, IMO has the potential to become something altogether more special, but he hasn't progressed at all in the past two years and as Dylan Moran said, potential is like your bank balance, there's always less then you thought.

Aside from that, from what I saw of him in Rome last season, he doesn't do nearly as well in a structured offence as he does when he's simply allowed to take the ball and go to work.

All thinks considered, I think the Kings made the right decision.

He was playing Euroleague last year and he seemed pretty lost. I thought "This kid is never going to be all-star player", but he really showed a looot of talent.
Could we get him somehow? :D

Yeah I'd still take Tyreke over Jennings but it looks like there are at least two real star PGs out of the stream of them that went in the draft. One thing that I'm most impressed about was that the Bucks won the game. And a good deal of the credit goes to Jennings. Good play that wins games > good play that doesn't.

Regarding the other rookie PGs Eric Maynor is seeing some time in Utah now and making it count, Jonny Flynn doesn't seem to have gotten comfy yet but has proven he can score, Steph Curry is playing wonderfully but it looks like he might be in Nellie's infamous dog house now, Ty Lawson and Jeff Teague look good off the bench. All of these guys have talent, and we haven't even seen Rubio yet.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
This.

Jennings has the makings of an Iverson (for the good as well as for the bad) 'Reke has the makings of a Billups 2.0 (never saw Frazier play) Flynn has the makings of an Isiah, and Rubio, IMO has the potential to become something altogether more special, but he hasn't progressed at all in the past two years and as Dylan Moran said, potential is like your bank balance, there's always less then you thought.

Aside from that, from what I saw of him in Rome last season, he doesn't do nearly as well in a structured offence as he does when he's simply allowed to take the ball and go to work.

All thinks considered, I think the Kings made the right decision.
Welcome to the board!