Questions for PDA

Status
Not open for further replies.
hopefully dave doesn't do any softball pitches to gerbil. it's apparent they want him to collect all the q's then give it to gerbil ahead of time so they can craft some answers is this not? or is it going to be a real interview w/ no advanced notice.

hopefully dave doesn't do any softball pitches to gerbil. it's apparent they want him to collect all the q's then give it to gerbil ahead of time so they can craft some answers is this not? or is it going to be a real interview w/ no advanced notice.
Spot on, and it's one of the reasons that I have trouble with this whole thing.

The reason I have trouble with this whole thing is that it just seems like damage control and an attempt at appeasement. I'm with Grant Napear in wanting to hear the plan but I can all but guarantee we're not going to hear that on Monday.
Agreed. Like many others have said, using corporate buzzwords, with compliments of "best NBA fans" aren't gonna fly here, and quite frankly, I don't like the format of this. Seems too geared to "super fans".

Here's my biggest question:

Why should we as fans believe that this isn't a completely wasted season?

and right on the heels of that:

Why should I bother spending any money to buy tickets and support a team whose GM claims style of play is more important than winning while leading the Kings to a 9th straight trip to the lottery?

Another question:

The reason given for Mike Malone's firing was that it was about philosophical differences about the style of play. And yet before Cousins' illness Malone had the team competing every night and off to its best start in a decade despite a brutal schedule. Now the team looks rudderless despite Vivek claiming the Kings would win more games under Corbin and go to the playoffs. That being the case why specifically should we believe that your philosophy on the team is better than Malone's?

Well, I think there will be questions from callers as well with no time limit.

If that doesn't happen, then yes, I agree.

Why are we moving to a "style" of play that does not fit our star personnel?

Why wasn't the team informed about the coaching changes or the signing of Corbin for the rest of the year?

Why has there been no open conversation with the best fans in the NBA about the turmoil they are seeing in the team? Boogie is frustrated, the team doesn't know what is going on, and the fans are in the dark. How is this acceptable to the front office? Was the fan and team reaction not anticipated?

WHAT IS THE PLAN FORWARD?

The reason the above post is getting "liked" so much is because of Question #1!!! That is the question we want answered in detail. Here is my attempt to focus that one question:

"It seems that management is determined to make the Kings a run-and-gun, up-tempo team like the Golden State Warriors because they think that this will please fans. Why are we moving to a "style" of play that does not fit our star personnel?"

(Demarcus, Rudy, AND Landry are phenomenal in the post - attributes most teams would love to have)

Addtional color: We as Kings fans do not necesarily want a run & gun team. We are educated fans. Teams that play in the post win championships, NOT run-and-gun teams. We know this. We have been through the Chris Webber years. We have seen Tim Duncan, Shaq, Hakeem, and even Lebron play in the post to win chmpionships. We have Demarcus Cousins and Rudy Gay who both play very well in the post! Shots closer to the basket are higher percentage. Why is management forcing us to be an uptempo team when A) it does not suit our personal, B) we have the best post player in the league, C) post play wins championships, and D) run and gun teams do not win championships? We do not want to be the Golden State Warriors.

Good questions everyone. Something which hasn't been touched on which I really, really want an answer to, and actually believe we need an answer to is why PDA feels he speaks for the Sac fanbase when he says we want up and down, up tempo basketball over winning basketball. He's actually said an up and down style represents this city, giving the implication the reason he's pushing for that style is because we're the ones who want it. And I think this question needs just a little background. So my question would be:

Pete, you have taken the liberty on multiple occasions to tell us, the fans, what style of basketball most suits us as a city and fan base and what style of basketball we want to watch, that style being a more up-tempo, up and down brand of basketball, to the point we'd support firing our most successful coach since Rick Adelman, whom the players had completely bought into and a number of which were not only playing the best basketball of their careers but were getting their first taste of winning in this league, and throwing away this season, all in the hopes of chasing that style despite Ty Corbin not being a coach who represents the style you want, nor having the roster to pursue the style you want. So my question, Pete, is two fold. One, if you're implementing a style which you claim the city and fan base wants, why have you chosen to pursue a style which negates our chances of winning by going away from the strengths of our franchise player in DeMarcus and is not a style which has won in this league when it matters most, unless you have Lebron, and two, what is your reaction to the fan reaction which unanimously opposes chasing that style, and instead wants a defensive oriented team based around DeMarcus' skillset in a slower, half court based system much like Marc Gasol and Memphis? Are you willing to change your blueprint to fit to the true feelings of the fan base which is in apparent opposition to your own? Thank you for your time.

Guys I hate to sons like a sort of an ass, and even my question is long too, but if they were to read all these questions...it would be a 5 hr segment.

Let's all try to summarize and posse our questions a little more effeciently. They are all great questions but I don't want them to get lost in the midst of essays.

Guys I hate to sons like a sort of an ass, and even my question is long too, but if they were to read all these questions...it would be a 5 hr segment.

Let's all try to summarize and posse our questions a little more effeciently. They are all great questions but I don't want them to get lost in the midst of essays.
They're not reading all of them, they're reading 10 of ours, and it would makes sense to have all 10 cover as many different issues as possible rather than a few which tend to ask the same thing.

Well my last question could essentially be boiled down to:

Why should fans believe your "philosophy" for the Kings is better than Malone's when he had them winning and everyone (fans, players, national media) were excited about their hot start and the team has become a punchline since?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hopefully the final questions aren't edited to take out the clear disgust that the fans have towards what's happening. I don't want PDA getting goody-goody phrased questions. He made his ****-bed - let him lie in it.

My question is simple:

How can you justify firing a coach who was employing a style of play that not only utilised the strengths of our best players, but that is also suited to winning in the playoffs, in favor of employing a run and gun style which has never been successful in winning a championship, ever?

Bonus question which won't get asked:

How about you stop indulging Vivek in his stupid positionless fantasy and grow a pair of balls? Keep your dignity and step down if he insists, otherwise slap some sense into him and start using the strengths of this roster - get George Karl in, the only man who can make your firing of Malone look slightly less incompetent.
Any editing of questions will be done because there's going to be LIMITED time and a clear question will be much more likely to be asked than a long question that has way too much rhetoric before the question is expressed. And remember, we're not the only ones submitting questions. If there's a 100-word question submitted and a 25-word question that asks basically the same thing, it's pretty clear which one will be used.

I don't mean to be rude, but it's not about what you want or don't want. Just having a GM willing to go onto a radio show to answer fan questions is totally unprecedented. I think the least we can do is approach it civilly.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's going to be a real interview. Getting the questions to DAVE ahead a time is a logistical necessity because of the vast number of people who want to ask PDA their question. Dave is using moderators from each of the Kings fan boards as a primary filter because this is a herculean task. Just look at all the questions we've got so far. There are multiple questions that say the same thing but with different words.

We're in totally uncharted waters right now. As I've said elsewhere, I cannot think of a time EVER when a GM went on a radio show to answer questions from fans. We want to make sure we do it right on our end...and maybe it could happen again.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

All of these questions are not going to be submitted. Dave has asked each fan board to winnow it down to the top 10 - and even then there's no guarantee they'll get to all of them.

Basically, I asked at the beginning and I'll ask again - PLEASE read all the other questions. Has what you want to know already been asked, even if it's worded a little differently? There are several basic themes. I'll try to get them identified later today. I'm actually trying to watch the game while I'm doing all this. :)

Given the prevalence of defense and 3 point shooting with many recent successful teams and the lack of up-tempo, score-first teams advancing in the playoffs, why would the Kings shift to chasing after a style that hasn't been successful?

The Kings were off to their best start in years, players looked to be playing well together on both ends of the court, and fans were actually optimistic. It truly looked like this team was becoming a team to be reckoned with. At what point do you forego your stylistic preference for what's working?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It's going to be a real interview. Getting the questions to DAVE ahead a time is a logistical necessity because of the vast number of people who want to ask PDA their question. Dave is using moderators from each of the Kings fan boards as a primary filter because this is a herculean task. Just look at all the questions we've got so far. There are multiple questions that say the same thing but with different words.

We're in totally uncharted waters right now. As I've said elsewhere, I cannot think of a time EVER when a GM went on a radio show to answer questions from fans. We want to make sure we do it right on our end...and maybe it could happen again.
I feel like, in some Kings Fans minds, unless Dave sucker punches D'Alessandro live on the air, and then stands over him menacingly, like Ali over Frazier, hollering, "You suck! Admit it! ADMIT IT!!!", then they're still going to think it's a 'softball' interview.

The most basic and to the point question:

Pete, why did you willingly throw away this season in a city starved for winning basketball, simply to chase a style which doesn't fit our top two players, doesn't play to our strengths and has clearly made us less competitive, without even having a coach lined up as a replacement who employs that style?

This fan base has endured wasted season after wasted season and a never ending coaching carousel. Were you fully aware of this history before making your recent decisions?

I feel like, in some Kings Fans minds, unless Dave sucker punches D'Alessandro live on the air, and then stands over him menacingly, like Ali over Frazier, hollering, "You suck! Admit it! ADMIT IT!!!", then they're still going to think it's a 'softball' interview.
All indications are the interview will be tough compared to normal KHTK standards so I think theres less worry about Dave lobing softballs than there is Pete throwing Soft/vague/broad/non-direct answers back.

no **** we're in uncharted waters right now. how boneheaded are the moves being made? EVERYBODY seems to see it except them. they've done a wonderful job of confusing and alienating their fan base in a short amount of time. i know you love to see the brighter side of everything but isn't this fishy they decided to do this right before season ticket holders have to renew. sorry but i don't buy the BS anymore. call it as it is. stop politiking gerbil!

Fast play when able and good defense are not mutually exclusive as some top winning teams have shown. Are there plans to have the present/future coaching staff incorporate both?

Status
Not open for further replies.