Questions for PDA

Status
Not open for further replies.
You made the statement that anyone can run. In the weeks since the coaching change, we've seen the team play poorly due to the pace change and we've seen the team's best player struggle to play a running style. Many fans saw this same style in the many years before your arrival. We are familiar with this style and how it has lost many games.

In response to the firing of Malone, Vivek said, and I paraphrase here, that Malone changed the culture and solidified the locker room, but now it was time for the next step. Since the coaching change, team emotion and chemistry has fallen off. It seems the coach was far more important to the locker room than management realized. There has also been no next step and if there isn't a new coach installed this season, then fans know the season is being shelved in a manner of way. We know that playoffs are no longer the goal.

However, I don't think you will change course. In many fans view, Kings ownership and management has put brand identity over customer satisfaction and quality of product. How far is the Kings organization willing to stick with that approach before the loss of games and fans becomes too much?

You made the statement that anyone can run. In the weeks since the coaching change, we've seen the team play poorly due to the pace change and we've seen the team's best player struggle to play a running style. Many fans saw this same style in the many years before your arrival. We are familiar with this style and how it has lost many games.

In response to the firing of Malone, Vivek said, and I paraphrase here, that Malone changed the culture and solidified the locker room, but now it was time for the next step. Since the coaching change, team emotion and chemistry has fallen off. It seems the coach was far more important to the locker room than management realized. There has also been no next step and if there isn't a new coach installed this season, then fans know the season is being shelved in a manner of way. We know that playoffs are no longer the goal.

However, I don't think you will change course. In many fans view, Kings ownership and management has put brand identity over customer satisfaction and quality of product. How far is the Kings organization willing to stick with that approach before the loss of games and fans becomes too much?
This one will be hard for him to give a satisfactory answer to but I think that it's an excellent well written lead up to a good question. Well done.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
The players look and sound frustrated right now. What do you say when you go into the lockerroom after a tough loss against Brooklyn or after allowing a season-high 129 points to New York at home to get everybody excited again about the future of this team?

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
In many fans view, Kings ownership and management has put brand identity [running style offense] over customer satisfaction and quality of product. How far is the Kings organization willing to stick with that approach before the loss of games and fans becomes too much?
This is your question. Everything before that is commentary and its just not practical to expect CD to read it all verbatim. It's not an inquisition. If you want honest answers, don't hit your guest over the head with editorial first. The question itself is a good one though. And I would recommend it on its own.

This is your question. Everything before that is commentary and its just not practical to expect CD to read it all verbatim. It's not an inquisition. If you want honest answers, don't hit your guest over the head with editorial first. The question itself is a good one though. And I would recommend it on its own.
I agree, the question really has to let him know how badly he screwed up when he said it was more about style than wins, that should cost a GM his job.

There seems to be a lack of communication between the FO and players in the last few weeks. How are you and the front offense responding to the frustration in the locker room right now?

This one please!

To add on, what measures are being taken to ensure that a continued disconnect between the front office, it's players, the media, and fans no longer occurs. There seems to be very little official word from the organization itself on potential moves and even moves that have been made recently. Many instances have been discovered through random twitter postings which appears rather unprofessional and unfair to all those involved.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Last one...

If you'd visited Kingfans.com early in the season you would have seen an unprecedented level of optimism about the job this front office was doing buoyed by the remarkable progress we were seeing on the court. When Malone was fired, much of that optimism left with him and the prospect of yet another prolonged interim coaching situation took the rest of it. Whatever it is you're cooking up in that secret laboratory of yours, please hurry. It's like the Walking Dead in here. We might not survive the night.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We'll be doing some editing before we submit the list of questions to Dave.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Last one...

If you'd visited Kingfans.com early in the season you would have seen an unprecedented level of optimism about the job this front office was doing buoyed by the remarkable progress we were seeing on the court. When Malone was fired, much of that optimism left with him and the prospect of yet another prolonged interim coaching situation took the rest of it. Whatever it is you're cooking up in that secret laboratory of yours, please hurry. It's like the Walking Dead in here. We might not survive the night.
Technically, that's not a question. ;)

Feel free to edit my question into more appropriate words.

What's your vision going forward? You have been talking about the mindset or running and a more fluid offense. What does these terms mean? Fans worry about, that you try to change the playstyle of the team into some mindless run and gun offense, which doesn't suit Cousins very well. Are we going to resemble the playstyle of the Denver Nuggets or do you refer to more ball movement, more pick&roll and still stick to the plan to play through Cousins as much as possible?

Hopefully the final questions aren't edited to take out the clear disgust that the fans have towards what's happening. I don't want PDA getting goody-goody phrased questions. He made his ****-bed - let him lie in it.

My question is simple:

How can you justify firing a coach who was employing a style of play that not only utilised the strengths of our best players, but that is also suited to winning in the playoffs, in favor of employing a run and gun style which has never been successful in winning a championship, ever?

Bonus question which won't get asked:

How about you stop indulging Vivek in his stupid positionless fantasy and grow a pair of balls? Keep your dignity and step down if he insists, otherwise slap some sense into him and start using the strengths of this roster - get George Karl in, the only man who can make your firing of Malone look slightly less incompetent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would we not want a coach like George Karl?
This is an essential question, but I would rephrase it a bit.

"Immediately after Malone was fired, Coach Karl indicated that he was very interested in coaching the Kings. A lot of Kings fans were confused by the firing of Malone, but it made sense if it was done to bring in one of the winningest coaches in NBA history. Was Karl ever in consideration for the job? If not, why not?"

should style of play adjust to fit the top players, or should the players adjust to the style? If former, what is the style of play that fits DMC the best?

What impression do you think the rest of the league has about our front office after firing a successful young coach in Malone, pursuing things like a junkball style of play in Reno, and openly considering non-starter ideas like the 4 on 5 "cherry-picking" plays?
Exactly. And along those lines:

Why should fans continue to trust and be patient with an ownership/front office that claims there's a plan and that they are just thinking outside the box when so far we've seen a short circuit to a surprising start to the season, almost certainly another trip to the lottery and to making the Kings a punchline league wide?

Disclaimer: Word this how it makes sense, but:

"Pete, given that there has been so much media speculation based on "sources", does it concern you that you have folks spending an awful lot of time putting out info to media types rather than actually pursuing team improvement?"

Status
Not open for further replies.