Prospects that are projected to be drafted in the 2nd round:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Great write up Baja. Kevin O'Connor currently has him 29th on his updated big board but you're right, many have him falling further than that.

What's odd to me is that a lot of mocks had him in the 1st round and then moved him down. Recency bias with NCAA and GLeague players maybe?

I've seen some concerns with his shot mechanics but that seems like nitpicking to me. He doesn't have a picture perfect shot but I don't see any major issues and it goes in.

He hasn't really been on my radar because I figured he'd be gone before the 2nd round but he's super intriguing at 39 if he lasts that long.

Add him to Bones Hyland and Isaiah Todd as guys that I think will (should?) be gone by 39 and yet several mocks have as lasting to the Kings pick in the 2nd round.
Unfortunately I just learned that he pulled his name out of the draft today. Can't blame him because he might be a lottery pick next year. Oh well, another one bites the dust.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately I just learned that he pulled his name out of the draft today. Can't blame him because he might be a lottery pick next year. Oh well, another one bites the dust.
Bummer, but I don't think he would have lasted to pick #39 anyway.

Bleijenbergh is still an option as a big wing with playmaking ability.

He has more warts and a less complete game but is also intriguing and very likely to be there at #39.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Bummer, but I don't think he would have lasted to pick #39 anyway.

Bleijenbergh is still an option as a big wing with playmaking ability.

He has more warts and a less complete game but is also intriguing and very likely to be there at #39.
Yeah, he has a lot of the attributes were looking for. Decent skill set, good athlete, with height and length. We need to get bigger, taller and more athletic overall. Give Bleijenergh some time in the G-League and who knows what he might become. Shame about Prkacin, but not surprising. When I was watching film on him I kept thinking this has to be a mistake. There's no way this kid is a 2nd rounder. Oh well....

Shoutout to @kb02 , but I'm think I'm on the Herb Jones train for pick 39 or maybe even trade up. If the Kings are serious about wanting to fix their defense, he seems like a perfect guy to plug into the "Moe Harkless" role, except actually be good on defense. Tremendous athleticism, tremendous wingspan and I think he'll be a guy you can have defend 1-4, but will mostly stick as that valuable 3/4 flex wing. Moves his feet extremely well and has excellent lateral quickness.

Offensively, provides value as an initiator and has a good feel for getting to the rim. He's too left-hand dominant still, but there's definite "big wing playmaking" upside with him. Excellent FTr throughout his college career and got his FT% up to a passable 72% this past year. Even if that's not going to be his forte in the NBA, having something he can lean on to score points will be important. I think what's keeping him in the second round is the jumper, which is really really not good and that he's a senior. But if you can get him in the 2nd? There's a lot of really valuable skills that directly address the Kings needs.

He kind of reminds me of Isaac Okoro last year with the defensive versatility and the big wing playmaking potential.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Yeah, he has a lot of the attributes were looking for. Decent skill set, good athlete, with height and length. We need to get bigger, taller and more athletic overall. Give Bleijenergh some time in the G-League and who knows what he might become. Shame about Prkacin, but not surprising. When I was watching film on him I kept thinking this has to be a mistake. There's no way this kid is a 2nd rounder. Oh well....
do you think he can be a lottery pick in the 2022 draft?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It wouldn't surprise me. In my opinion, yeah he looks like lottery material to me. Definitely first round material. I'm still trying to figure out why he was projected to go in the 2nd round?
maybe it speaks of the quality of players you can find in the teens and 20s?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Philip Petrusev: Center/PF, 6'11", 235 Lb's, Wingspan NA, Serbia via Gonzaga.
31.5 mpg - 23.7 ppg, 51.9% fgp - 61.9% 2pp - 41.9% 3pp - 73.9% ftp - 7.6 rpg - 1.6 apg - 1.1 blk's.

Someone kept bringing up Petrusev as a prospect, and I kept ignoring him because of my memories of him at Gonzaga. I apologize to whomever that was, because he was right. Petrusev has transformed himself into a very good basketball player. At Gonzaga he was frustrating to watch. He passed up shots, or took 5 seconds to decide whether he should shoot it not. In short, he didn't play with confidence. He made simple mistakes like putting the ball on the floor in the post when he could have taken one step and dunked it.

I'm not sure what he drank in the off season between leaving Gonzaga and going back to Serbia, but he's not the same player. He even appears to be more athletic. Instead of layups around the basket, he's dunking the ball. He's turned himself into a very good 3 pt shooter at 41.9%, and he took a lot of them, so it's not a fluke. He has a very soft touch around the basket with a bucket full of post moves. He'll put it on the floor and attack the basket, or pullup from 15 and shoot it. He's very good in the pick and pop game, and as the roller in the P&R.

Defensively he will struggle at times when isolated on a guard, but he has good pursuit and doesn't quit on the play. I would say he's an average defender overall but not a liability. He certainly has room to improve in that area. He's not much of a passer, but is capable. Another area that needs improvement. To be fair, he was the first option on his team, so when he got the ball, he usually tried to score. In short he's a very skilled player, particularly on offense. If he can add about 10 to 15 pounds of muscle, he should be able to defend the post against some of the bigger centers in the league. He's definitely a prospect in the 2nd round.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Philip Petrusev: Center/PF, 6'11", 235 Lb's, Wingspan NA, Serbia via Gonzaga.
31.5 mpg - 23.7 ppg, 51.9% fgp - 61.9% 2pp - 41.9% 3pp - 73.9% ftp - 7.6 rpg - 1.6 apg - 1.1 blk's.

Someone kept bringing up Petrusev as a prospect, and I kept ignoring him because of my memories of him at Gonzaga. I apologize to whomever that was, because he was right. Petrusev has transformed himself into a very good basketball player. At Gonzaga he was frustrating to watch. He passed up shots, or took 5 seconds to decide whether he should shoot it not. In short, he didn't play with confidence. He made simple mistakes like putting the ball on the floor in the post when he could have taken one step and dunked it.

I'm not sure what he drank in the off season between leaving Gonzaga and going back to Serbia, but he's not the same player. He even appears to be more athletic. Instead of layups around the basket, he's dunking the ball. He's turned himself into a very good 3 pt shooter at 41.9%, and he took a lot of them, so it's not a fluke. He has a very soft touch around the basket with a bucket full of post moves. He'll put it on the floor and attack the basket, or pullup from 15 and shoot it. He's very good in the pick and pop game, and as the roller in the P&R.

Defensively he will struggle at times when isolated on a guard, but he has good pursuit and doesn't quit on the play. I would say he's an average defender overall but not a liability. He certainly has room to improve in that area. He's not much of a passer, but is capable. Another area that needs improvement. To be fair, he was the first option on his team, so when he got the ball, he usually tried to score. In short he's a very skilled player, particularly on offense. If he can add about 10 to 15 pounds of muscle, he should be able to defend the post against some of the bigger centers in the league. He's definitely a prospect in the 2nd round.

that person was probably me.

For whatever it’s worth, Petrusev was probably Serbia’s best player in their disappointing Olympics qualifying round showing (Bogi and Jokic were out).

I’m not saying he’s the next Jokic or anything, but he has a lot of the same flaws and benefits as Sengun (without some of the upside narrative talk afforded by Sengun’s age) but without costing a lottery pick and will need to add some weight to play against NBA centers but I could definitely see him sticking around as a good solid pro in the NBA.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Herb Jones is my current favorite for the Kings' 2nd rounder.

Bones Nyland and Isaiah Todd are sometimes mocked to fall to 39 or lower but I think they'll be gone in the late first and end of round 1/top of round 2 respectively.

If either is there they are upside swings worth taking a chance on. Otherwise I really like Jones. If he continues to improve his outside shot he could be a steal. Robinson-Earl is another option I like. He's not a flashy pick but seems like the kind of guy that will carve out a long NBA career as a role player. Bleijenbergh is still an interesting option and we know he worked out for the Kings.

I think Herb Jones is my current favorite for the Kings' 2nd rounder.

Bones Nyland and Isaiah Todd are sometimes mocked to fall to 39 or lower but I think they'll be gone in the late first and end of round 1/top of round 2 respectively.

If either is there they are upside swings worth taking a chance on. Otherwise I really like Jones. If he continues to improve his outside shot he could be a steal. Robinson-Earl is another option I like. He's not a flashy pick but seems like the kind of guy that will carve out a long NBA career as a role player. Bleijenbergh is still an interesting option and we know he worked out for the Kings.
Love Herb Jones. One thing I like to do with seniors is how would we view them if they were 19? I mean we just saw Isaac Okoro be a top 5 pick with a very similar skill-profile; shaky shooter, super versatile defender, point-forward and secondary creation ability. Desmond Bane last year is a great example of someone who was just designed to play in the modern NBA and had success as a rookie. Brandon Clarke another.

I think his shooting is a real concern, but you don't really care about that if you can snag him at 39 or maybe trade up a bit to get him earlier in the 2nd or late 1st. The defensive versatility from 1-4 and the point-forward skills are more than enough for me.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lover Herb Jones. One thing I like to do with seniors is how would we view them if they were 19? I mean we just saw Isaac Okoro be a top 5 pick with a very similar skill-profile; shaky shooter, super versatile defender, point-forward and secondary creation ability. Desmond Bane last year is a great example of someone who was just designed to play in the modern NBA and had success as a rookie. Brandon Clarke another.

I think his shooting is a real concern, but you don't really care about that if you can snag him at 39 or maybe trade up a bit to get him earlier in the 2nd or late 1st. The defensive versatility from 1-4 and the point-forward skills are more than enough for me.
I was a big fan of Paul Reed last year and it looks like the Sixers may have a rotation player in him. His shot mechanics were/are worse than Jones and he had the additional complication of being a weird positional fit with small ball center height/length but too slight a build to play inside.

Jones has ideal height, length, and weight for a 3&D wing and his shot is less broken looking. He made encouraging improvements his senior year while still having significantly bad mechanics.

If he can at least become a decent NBA shooter he could be a steal in the second round as he's a great defender, good in the open court or off back door looks, and is good on either side of the pick & roll, though he's a bit limited in being much, much better going to his left than right.

The Kings need to improve defensively and while Jones may not be starter quality (at least until he improves as a shooter) he would help on the defensive side of the floor. And he's just fun to watch.

I was a big fan of Paul Reed last year and it looks like the Sixers may have a rotation player in him. His shot mechanics were/are worse than Jones and he had the additional complication of being a weird positional fit with small ball center height/length but too slight a build to play inside.

Jones has ideal height, length, and weight for a 3&D wing and his shot is less broken looking. He made encouraging improvements his senior year while still having significantly bad mechanics.

If he can at least become a decent NBA shooter he could be a steal in the second round as he's a great defender, good in the open court or off back door looks, and is good on either side of the pick & roll, though he's a bit limited in being much, much better going to his left than right.

The Kings need to improve defensively and while Jones may not be starter quality (at least until he improves as a shooter) he would help on the defensive side of the floor. And he's just fun to watch.
Yup. I know you aren't as high on Moody/Wagner, but the Kings would get a serious influx of defense if they walk away with either of them and Jones at 39. All at the super valuable wing slot.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup. I know you aren't as high on Moody/Wagner, but the Kings would get a serious influx of defense if they walk away with either of them and Jones at 39. All at the super valuable wing slot.
I'm actually a big fan of both Wagner and Moody. Both are the kind of guys you absolutely have to have to win in today's NBA. My issue isn't with them as players, it's that I don't think Fox and Haliburton alone are enough of a core to be a serious team going forward. I think they still need one more major piece and its unlikely Moody is that guy and very unlikely that Wagner is that guy, even if they should both be very effective NBA players.

My biggest hope is that the Kings could find their third core piece at 9 and THEN surround them with Moody/Wagner type players. Which is why I'm trying to squint hard and see Jalen Johnson as potentially Paul Pierce meets Ben Simmons or Sengun as a slightly smaller Jokic. Or even that Kuminga falls to 9 but finds a way to put it all together on the NBA level. I am hoping that the Kings can find a star at 9. But the reality may be that Wagner or Moody might be the best of the guys projected in the 9-16 range or so.

I wouldn't be disappointed with either of them.

I'm actually a big fan of both Wagner and Moody. Both are the kind of guys you absolutely have to have to win in today's NBA. My issue isn't with them as players, it's that I don't think Fox and Haliburton alone are enough of a core to be a serious team going forward. I think they still need one more major piece and its unlikely Moody is that guy and very unlikely that Wagner is that guy, even if they should both be very effective NBA players.

My biggest hope is that the Kings could find their third core piece at 9 and THEN surround them with Moody/Wagner type players. Which is why I'm trying to squint hard and see Jalen Johnson as potentially Paul Pierce meets Ben Simmons or Sengun as a slightly smaller Jokic. Or even that Kuminga falls to 9 but finds a way to put it all together on the NBA level. I am hoping that the Kings can find a star at 9. But the reality may be that Wagner or Moody might be the best of the guys projected in the 9-16 range or so.

I wouldn't be disappointed with either of them.
I think the safer be is to draft players like that since that's what's there, and needed, then see how far talent wise Fox/Haliburton go. After that, you never know, the Kings might be able to swing for a FA when the time comes. And honestly, who still knows what happens with Bagley. In a perfect world he develops. stays healthy, and those fences get mended. Even as is, Fox/Haliburton/draft pick/Barnes is a very interesting team on paper and if they work it out timing wise and not completely bust their cap a ton down the line this summer, a max money slot is possible around that core.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the safer be is to draft players like that since that's what's there, and needed, then see how far talent wise Fox/Haliburton go. After that, you never know, the Kings might be able to swing for a FA when the time comes. And honestly, who still knows what happens with Bagley. In a perfect world he develops. stays healthy, and those fences get mended. Even as is, Fox/Haliburton/draft pick/Barnes is a very interesting team on paper and if they work it out timing wise and not completely bust their cap a ton down the line this summer, a max money slot is possible around that core.
I don't know that the Kings will ever sign an all-star free agent (Vlade is still probably the biggest FA signing in Sacramento Kings history) but I agree with everything else you said. I'm coming around to the idea that just adding a solid piece that improves the team is far better than yet another bust.

As for Bagley, it's looking increasingly likely that the Kings will lose Holmes in free agency.

If the Kings can get a mid 1st rounder for Marvin I think they'd take it. But at this point he may have such low value that there's no point in trading him.

If so, if no decent trades are available for Marvin AND if Holmes signs elsewhere then I would hope the Kings would start Bagley at center and let him sink or swim.

The best case scenario is that he puts it together and becomes a potential cornerstone. Worst case he gets hurt again and/or continues to struggle on defense and doesn't develop further on offense and the Kings let him walk as another bust.

I don't know that the Kings will ever sign an all-star free agent (Vlade is still probably the biggest FA signing in Sacramento Kings history) but I agree with everything else you said. I'm coming around to the idea that just adding a solid piece that improves the team is far better than yet another bust.

As for Bagley, it's looking increasingly likely that the Kings will lose Holmes in free agency.

If the Kings can get a mid 1st rounder for Marvin I think they'd take it. But at this point he may have such low value that there's no point in trading him.

If so, if no decent trades are available for Marvin AND if Holmes signs elsewhere then I would hope the Kings would start Bagley at center and let him sink or swim.

The best case scenario is that he puts it together and becomes a potential cornerstone. Worst case he gets hurt again and/or continues to struggle on defense and doesn't develop further on offense and the Kings let him walk as another bust.
I just hope he doesn't get injured

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think Wagner & Petrusev would be an awful draft, just not a very exciting one. I like Wagner a lot. He looks like a great glue guy. Kind of a super sized Haliburton but with less upside. I'd rather see the Kings hit a home run with a player with more long term potential but Wagner would likely be a solid double for a team that has drafted way too many lottery busts the last two decades.

I'm not sure Petrusev will be able to stay on the floor defensively in the NBA. But at this point I'll be really surprised if the Kings just stay at #9 and #39, make their picks and go home. They've been working out guys in the 16-24 range and lots of talk about packaging picks and players to move up.

I think Duarte will have a long and successful NBA career as a borderline starter/top of the bench shooter. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a better career than Kispert and I'd actually draft him higher. That said, he's not a great fit on the Kings as a SG without the size to guard bigger wings. If GS keeps the #14 pick I wouldn't be surprised to see him go there.

Tarke from Coppin St? He'll be hoping to get a 2-way contract is my guess.