Prospects that are projected to be drafted in the 2nd round:

A couple of (current and future) second rounders today in the UCLA vs. Bama game. Jaime Jacquez and Johnny Juzang for UCLA. Both are about 6'7 and kinda play like Andres Nocioni. Herb Jones of Bama. I thought he would be a 1 or 2 year player--not a 4 year starter. He has everything you'd want in a wing except for a three shot. A less defensive orientated, better handling, penetrating Mathyisse Thybulle.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
A couple of (current and future) second rounders today in the UCLA vs. Bama game. Jaime Jacquez and Johnny Juzang for UCLA. Both are about 6'7 and kinda play like Andres Nocioni. Herb Jones of Bama. I thought he would be a 1 or 2 year player--not a 4 year starter. He has everything you'd want in a wing except for a three shot. A less defensive orientated, better handling, penetrating Mathyisse Thybulle.
Juzang is actually starting to look like the player that Kentucky thought they recruited. I think of the two he has the most upside, and I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him in the 2nd rd, depending on who else is sitting there. I don't blame him for transferring, Calipari is tough to play for.

Juzang is actually starting to look like the player that Kentucky thought they recruited. I think of the two he has the most upside, and I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him in the 2nd rd, depending on who else is sitting there. I don't blame him for transferring, Calipari is tough to play for.
Baja I’m sorry if i missed this in another thread or anything but have you given your take on Usman Garuba? Came across him last night and was very intrigued by his defensive skill set

The thing about this year’s draft is that it looks like there is going to be an absolute glut of interesting (slightly older) bigs there to be had in the middle to end of the second round. Queta, Cockburn, Petrusev, Mamukelashvili (I had to google that like ten times to make sure I spelled that right), even Luka Garza all have particular skill sets and bodies that could take off in the right situation in the NBA. As a fan of a team with lacking big depth and a bunch of second round picks, I am glad.
Im pretty sure we only have our own 2nd round pick this year. We traded Detroit the Lakers pick and Toronto the Memphis pick.

Barring both sky rocketing into the late first, I think both will stay in school another year. They both need it. They're intriguing, because they have guard skills, but are legit wings. A year of working on their game and can see both getting some late first round love (maybe higher for Juzang).

If Nix didn't bail for the G-League and if Chris Smith had not gotten hurt earlier in the year, the Bruins would be the favorite this year. Nix is going to be a first rounder and Smith was the Bruins best player before his injury (and should get drafted). That's 5 legit scorers (with Campbell, Juzang, and Jacquez). What could've been.

Marko Simonovic (was drafted by Chicago in the 40's in 2020) (Petrusev PF teammate) has gone from mildly interesting prospect to very interesting hes 6'9/6'10 with a solid (still thin) frame above average athlete with a great motor. The reason he's gone to very interesting in my book is he's learned to shoot, he's got a quick flat shot that has improved drastically as a result of not having to play C like last season. He's very quick running end to end in a straight line for rim runs and has shown flashes of some post game although its not great.

His IQ is not the best but its workable he's not Bagley/Mclemore/TRob levels of dumb.

Another guy who has NBA talent in the ABA is Fedor Zugic (not sure if he's eligible) he's anywhere from 6'3 to 6'5 and has a young Evan Fournier (SG who can fill in and play make at the 1) he's being playing pro since he was 15 and I think he's 17/18 now. He's smart good athlete and can play with or without the ball.

Last edited:
UCLA is targeting Kispert on defense. Having Jaquez take him off the dribble. Jacquez is a better prospect than Kispert. Yea, I said it.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Gonzaga press doesn't work so well when you have 4 ball handlers on the court.
But their trap up at the half court line is doing a pretty good job of pressuring UCLA, that might be alleviated when Campbell gets back in the game.

But their trap up at the half court line is doing a pretty good job of pressuring UCLA, that might be alleviated when Campbell gets back in the game.
True. But the trap in general is not leading to those wide margins that they've gotten against WCC and NCAA Tourney teams. This game is going to be close all the way through. UCLA's game plan is to basically exploit Kispert or Timmeh when they're guarding Jacquez. Jacquez is rugged, but has guard skills and will basically score on either player all day. If UCLA had Nix and Smith, UCLA would destroy Gonzaga.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I imagine you could have gotten real good odds on "First team to lead Gonzaga in the second half in the NCAA Tournament: UCLA"

Zags got lucky. Suggs hit the backboard and it went in.

UCLA with Chris Smith and Dashon Nix, they destroy the Zags.

I'm really hoping Dino RaDONCIC enters the draft the guy is like 22 but is a very good talent (easily a first round talent) a bull SF with craftiness around the rim and a lefty, good feel for the game and can step in right away and play. I'm really not sure why he choose to stay in Europe he should have been in the NBA years ago. His driving game reminds me a bit of Ben Simmons (not the passer). Monternegro has some very interesting prospects coming out I mentioned two more above

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kessler Edwards: SF, 6'8", 215 Lbs, Junior, Pepperdine.
34.0 mpg - 17.2 ppg - 49.1% fgp - 37.8% 3pp - 87.6% ftp - 6.8 rpg - 1.2 apg - 1.0 stl's - 1.2 blk's.

Edwards is another one of my personal favorites for the 2nd rd. He's projected as a 3 & D type player. He's a good athlete, but not an elite athlete. He's capable of guarding multiple positions from SG's to PF's. Right now he more of a catch and shoot player offensively. He will attack the basket if the lane is open, but right now his handles do limit him offensively a little. I see him eventually as a solid rotational bench player in the NBA. He's been all over the place in the mock drafts from middle of the 2nd rd to being undrafted.

I have him going around the mid to late forty's. He's been a good shooter all three years at Pepperdine averaging 38.6% for the three years. He's also a solid rebounder for his position. He's not a player that's going to create much for others, but then if he were, he likely be in the first round.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Vrenz Bleijenbergh: PG/SG/SF, 6'10", 209 Lb's, 20.8 years old, Antwerp Giants.
23.9 mpg - 9.4 ppg - 43.4% fgp - 37.5% 3pp - 52.6% ftp - 3.1 rpg - 2.3 apg - 0.8 stl's.

I've seen Bleijenbergh projected from the bottom of the first round to undrafted. Personally, once he starts working out for teams I think some team takes a flier on him at the bottom of the 1st or at the top of the 2nd. Offensively, he's very talented and has played PG for most of his basketball career. He started playing basketball when he was four years old and signed his first pro contract with the Antwerp Giants from the Belgium league in Oct of 2018. At the same time he turned down offers from several college teams such as Arizona, Texas Tech, and UCLA. He became a starter this year with the Giants, and at the end of the season he was named the Pro Basketball Rising Star.

I've only seen one whole complete game of his, but have watched as much film as I could find, and offensively, I think he can play in the NBA. He's a very gifted passer and an improving 3 pt shooter. Especially on the catch and shoot when he has time to get squared up and balanced. He's not terrible off the dribble, but it's a work in progress. He has above average mobility, and above average handles for a 6'10" player, and is a good finisher with a lane. I think he'll improve in that area when he gets stronger. Where his offense lacks is in the mid-range. He has no pull up or floater, and if he can develop those, he'll be far more dangerous as a passer and a scorer. He can score with either hand at the basket.

Right now I look at him as a point forward, and those players are valuable, especially those that are efficient at running the pick and roll, and he is, he excels at it. Defensively, it's a different story. In the game I watched, when defending off the ball, he was constantly out of position, or got caught ball watching and losing his man. On the ball, especially against smaller players, he gets taken off the dribble far too often. His reaction time is just a tad slow, and the opposing player always seems to get that first step past him. I would hope that with more experience, and perhaps better coaching he can improve in that area. As I said earlier, he has above average mobility, so one would think there's room for improvement.

Bleijenbergh is a player I think the Kings should take a hard look at if he's sitting there when our 2nd rd pick comes up. He would be the first Belgium player to be drafted and actually play in the NBA, and he has stated that it's one of his goals. He's not ready to play in the NBA right now, but with a year or so in the G-League, you might have yourself a heck of a basketball player. He's the type of player the Kings are looking for.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ibou Dianko Badji: Center, 7'1", 240 Lb'l, 7'8" wingspan, 18.8 years old, Barcelona international.
19.1 mpg - 7.1 ppg - 48.4% fgp - 16.7% 3pp - 59.6% ftp - 5.7 rpg - 1.6 Blk's

I'm fairly sure that Ibou will go in the 2nd rd. He's a high risk, but an extremely high reward player. He has incredible length to the extent that he can touch the rim by standing on his tip toes.. Think a taller, longer version of Gobert. Here's the thing, he's a far better athlete than Gobert. He's very coordinated with good hops. He moves his feet well on defense, and he's one of the most intimidating rim defenders I've ever seen. And, he doesn't look like Bol Bol. So what's not to like.

He's very raw and he'll need a couple of years of hard work with good coaching to develop into what he could become. Which he may never do. I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but I've seen so many of these types of players fail. However, it only takes the one that doesn't to make you look like a genius for drafting him. Badji is a very good athlete, and he's shown some surprise moves along the way. I saw him drive from the three pt line, do a crossover to his left and lay the ball in with his left hand. I've seen him pull up from 15 and hit the shot. His shot form doesn't look bad by the way.

With added strength he should become a better rebounder, and to be fair, his per 36 numbers aren't that bad. Where he's special, is at defending the rim. He reminds me of Wilt Chamberlain a bit by blocking the shot, and coming down with the ball. I'd say that he's certainly worth taking a flier on in the 2nd rd, but know that he's far from ready to step onto an NBA floor. If he puts in the work, and develops his offense, then you might have the next defensive player of the year. He's still only 18 yr's old, so there's plenty of time for molding.

One thing he does have going for him is that he's a very good athlete, which most of the failures wern't. Polish him up, and get him some experience, and who knows. One day he's a 2rd round pick, and a few years later, he's the starting center on a championship team. Hey, I can dream can't I?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
E. J. Onu: C/PF, 6'11", 240 Lb.s, 7'6" wingspan, Senior, Shawnee St.
29.6 mpg - 16.9 ppg - 57.3% fgp - 40.0% 3pp - 74.8% ftp - 8.0 rpg - 0.6 stl's - 4.5 blk's.

Onu is considered one of the sleepers in the draft and a few years from now, he might be considered one of the steals in the draft. It would be easy to dismiss him when you know he played for sleepy little Shawnee St., but he single handedly carried them to a championship, and dominated in most games he played. He had several triple doubles with double digit blocked shots, and averaged 4.5 a game. He has excellent timing and instincts. Onu is not some slow footed 7 footer that's excelling against inferior competition. He's an elite athlete who can run the floor with the best of them. He's a well coordinated fluid athlete that makes it look easy at times.

He shot 40% from the three and took right at 4 a game. He has good looking form, and you can't argue with success. He has very good handles for a big, and a first quick step out on the perimeter. In short, he should be able to spread the floor, and if you go out and guard him, he has the capability to put it on the floor and blow by you. Granted, you have to take his competition into consideration, but when you watch him play, you just know that most of what you see will translate against better competition.

The Celtics already worked him out last week, and I'm sure more teams have him scheduled. If drafted he's probably a 2nd rd pick due to his competition and his age. He could also go undrafted, and if so, I hope McNair remembers how to use a phone and call Onu's agent. I would definitely sign him to a two way contract. He's not perfect and has some things to work on, like passing the ball. I also didn't see him guarding out on the perimeter much. But this is a kid that has all the tools to turn into a very good NBA player. He's been well coached because he has solid fundamentals. As I said, he's a very good athlete with very good hops. He definitely can play above the rim.

If you want to build depth and keep pumping talent through the parent team, this is how you do it. Find diamonds in the rough and develop them. Onu is definitely a diamond, and he's not that rough.

Obviously he would have to adjust to the more athletic and taller players in the NBA. But he has the tools to do it. I know most of you have never seen Bill Russell play, but Onu reminds me of him when it comes to blocking shots. He waits till the offensive player is in the air before he commits to blocking a shot. He's such a quick leaper, and has such tremendous length, that he'll still block the shot. As a result, despite blocking so many shots, he only averaged 2 fouls a game, which is amazing. Don't know if this kid is on McNair's radar or not, but I hope so.

Last edited:
I was looking at the Kings rebounding numbers for the 2020-2021 season. The Kings were actually dead last in the NBA in rebounds per game at 41.5 per game. But they were actually 8th in the league in contested rebound percentage. So if they were in the top third of winning rebounds that both teams had a chance at, why were they worst in the league in overall rebounds per game? The answer is that they were tied for last in rebound opportunities per game.

Of the top 8 teams in that statistic (with Utah being #1) 7 of them made the playoffs. The only team in the top 8 that didn't was Charlotte.

So what does all of that tell me? The Kings give up far too many easy buckets which limits their rebound opportunities. And Utah gives up a LOT fewer easy buckets, for a variety of reasons, but maybe most directly because they have Gobert in the middle.

That's a long winded way for me to say, I'd love to see the Kings use their second round pick on a big body that will help defend the rim.

I'm a Richaun Holmes fan and he does a lot of good things, but he struggles to defend smaller guys on the perimeter and gets outmuscled by big bodied centers inside. Bagley has the same issues, but also doesn't play as physical (or exert as much effort) on defense and still struggles with making the right read on defense. So even though the Kings start two traditional bigs, they don't benefit from it defensively. And neither of those two (especially not Bagley) sets good screens on offense.

Kofi Cockburn would be a solid pick #39 that could solve a few of those issues. He certainly may be gone before then, but if not he'd absolutely be the kind of big body the Kings need. He hasn't flashed much face up/away from the basket game, but as a post scorer, transition runner, and dump off man he'd be just fine, especially if the Kings can spread the floor with Fox, Haliburton, and two other decent to good shooters.

He sets pretty good picks (and can improve further there) and he has pretty good feel for the game. He drops back on pick and rolls to try to force midrange shots and protect the basket. He seals his man well in the post and has a devestating drop step and a nifty little right hook counter. He's not an elite shotblocker but he eats up a lot of real estate and is pretty good in that area.

The biggest drawback is the same for all centers without good lateral mobility. If teams go small it may force him off the court. He's not a perimeter defender and what he brings as a post scorer and rebounder may not make up for what he may give up defensively trying to guard smaller bigs/wings on the perimeter or on switches. But as a 2nd round pick he fills a clear need.

Ibou Dianko Badji is actually one of the most intriguing 2nd round options for the Kings, at least to me. He's a big time athlete that could be elite as a shotblocker and who has shown flashes of a face up game at just 18 1/2. I think he's farther away from contributing in the NBA but could be worth a long term gamble. The Kings absolutely have to do something about their interior defense so why not swing for the fences with Badji?

One of the biggest concerns I have with him is that it seems like his effort is often lacking. Big guys without a consistent motor always concern me. And from the little bit of reading I've done, there are some shades of Hassan Whiteside or Andrew Bynum as a guy that doesn't necessarily love basketball and who may be satisfied to just make the NBA based on physical gifts instead of hard work. I have no idea if any of that is true, but this is what I read (link), from a source that I'm not sure is credible.

But a young, athletic 7 footer with a 7'8" wingspan and a knack for blocking shots? Certainly could be worth gambling on.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I was looking at the Kings rebounding numbers for the 2020-2021 season. The Kings were actually dead last in the NBA in rebounds per game at 41.5 per game. But they were actually 8th in the league in contested rebound percentage. So if they were in the top third of winning rebounds that both teams had a chance at, why were they worst in the league in overall rebounds per game? The answer is that they were tied for last in rebound opportunities per game.

Of the top 8 teams in that statistic (with Utah being #1) 7 of them made the playoffs. The only team in the top 8 that didn't was Charlotte.

So what does all of that tell me? The Kings give up far too many easy buckets which limits their rebound opportunities. And Utah gives up a LOT fewer easy buckets, for a variety of reasons, but maybe most directly because they have Gobert in the middle.

That's a long winded way for me to say, I'd love to see the Kings use their second round pick on a big body that will help defend the rim.

I'm a Richaun Holmes fan and he does a lot of good things, but he struggles to defend smaller guys on the perimeter and gets outmuscled by big bodied centers inside. Bagley has the same issues, but also doesn't play as physical (or exert as much effort) on defense and still struggles with making the right read on defense. So even though the Kings start two traditional bigs, they don't benefit from it defensively. And neither of those two (especially not Bagley) sets good screens on offense.

Kofi Cockburn would be a solid pick #39 that could solve a few of those issues. He certainly may be gone before then, but if not he'd absolutely be the kind of big body the Kings need. He hasn't flashed much face up/away from the basket game, but as a post scorer, transition runner, and dump off man he'd be just fine, especially if the Kings can spread the floor with Fox, Haliburton, and two other decent to good shooters.

He sets pretty good picks (and can improve further there) and he has pretty good feel for the game. He drops back on pick and rolls to try to force midrange shots and protect the basket. He seals his man well in the post and has a devestating drop step and a nifty little right hook counter. He's not an elite shotblocker but he eats up a lot of real estate and is pretty good in that area.

The biggest drawback is the same for all centers without good lateral mobility. If teams go small it may force him off the court. He's not a perimeter defender and what he brings as a post scorer and rebounder may not make up for what he may give up defensively trying to guard smaller bigs/wings on the perimeter or on switches. But as a 2nd round pick he fills a clear need.

Ibou Dianko Badji is actually one of the most intriguing 2nd round options for the Kings, at least to me. He's a big time athlete that could be elite as a shotblocker and who has shown flashes of a face up game at just 18 1/2. I think he's farther away from contributing in the NBA but could be worth a long term gamble. The Kings absolutely have to do something about their interior defense so why not swing for the fences with Badji?

One of the biggest concerns I have with him is that it seems like his effort is often lacking. Big guys without a consistent motor always concern me. And from the little bit of reading I've done, there are some shades of Hassan Whiteside or Andrew Bynum as a guy that doesn't necessarily love basketball and who may be satisfied to just make the NBA based on physical gifts instead of hard work. I have no idea if any of that is true, but this is what I read (link), from a source that I'm not sure is credible.

But a young, athletic 7 footer with a 7'8" wingspan and a knack for blocking shots? Certainly could be worth gambling on.
One of the reasons I did the post on Onu. Your right, the Kings gave up too many second chance points. Nothing more frustrating than getting a stop, and then the other team grabs the rebound. Eventually it drains you both physically and mentally. Neemias Queta is another I would consider taking a gamble on. Good athlete and he averaged over 3 blocks a game at Utah St. This kid Onu weighs 240, and you can see where he could easily carry another 20 Lb's of muscle. He's an elite athlete with an already established skill set. As I said, I'd love to get him on a two way and see what happens.

One of the reasons I did the post on Onu. Your right, the Kings gave up too many second chance points. Nothing more frustrating than getting a stop, and then the other team grabs the rebound. Eventually it drains you both physically and mentally. Neemias Queta is another I would consider taking a gamble on. Good athlete and he averaged over 3 blocks a game at Utah St. This kid Onu weighs 240, and you can see where he could easily carry another 20 Lb's of muscle. He's an elite athlete with an already established skill set. As I said, I'd love to get him on a two way and see what happens.
Onu is really intriguing. Just under 6'10" barefoot but with a 7'8" wingspan and 9'6" standing reach. 30" max vert with a 232 lb frame that I agree can probably add another 15-20 lbs without hindering him at all. And he shot 40% from 3 on a good sample size and with good form.

Physically he's pretty close to Hassan Whiteside when Whiteside was drafted but he seems a bit quicker laterally. Hard to tell with the level of competition. He's not skilled enough to avoid getting run off the floor when teams go small (at least not yet) and there's a huge jump to quickness/size/strength of NBA players but I would absolutely love to see the Kings pick up a mid to late 2nd rounder to take a flyer on him.

29.6 mpg - 16.9 ppg - 57.3% fgp - 40.0% 3pp - 74.8% ftp - 8.0 rpg - 0.6 stl's - 4.5 blk's.

Onu is considered one of the sleepers in the draft and a few years from now, he might be considered one of the steals in the draft. It would be easy to dismiss him when you know he played for sleepy little Shawnee St., but he single handedly carried them to a championship, and dominated in most games he played. He had several triple doubles with double digit blocked shots, and averaged 4.5 a game. He has excellent timing and instincts. Onu is not some slow footed 7 footer that's excelling against inferior competition. He's an elite athlete who can run the floor with the best of them. He's a well coordinated fluid athlete that makes it look easy at times.

He shot 40% from the three and took right at 4 a game. He has good looking form, and you can't argue with success. He has very good handles for a big, and a first quick step out on the perimeter. In short, he should be able to spread the floor, and if you go out and guard him, he has the capability to put it on the floor and blow by you. Granted, you have to take his competition into consideration, but when you watch him play, you just know that most of what you see will translate against better competition.

The Celtics already worked him out last week, and I'm sure more teams have him scheduled. If drafted he's probably a 2nd rd pick due to his competition and his age. He could also go undrafted, and if so, I hope McNair remembers how to use a phone and call Onu's agent. I would definitely sign him to a two way contract. He's not perfect and has some things to work on, like passing the ball. I also didn't see him guarding out on the perimeter much. But this is a kid that has all the tools to turn into a very good NBA player. He's been well coached because he has solid fundamentals. As I said, he's a very good athlete with very good hops. He definitely can play above the rim.

If you want to build depth and keep pumping talent through the parent team, this is how you do it. Find diamonds in the rough and develop them. Onu is definitely a diamond, and he's not that rough.

Obviously he would have to adjust to the more athletic and taller players in the NBA. But he has the tools to do it. I know most of you have never seen Bill Russell play, but Onu reminds me of him when it comes to blocking shots. He waits till the offensive player is in the air before he commits to blocking a shot. He's such a quick leaper, and has such tremendous length, that he'll still block the shot. As a result, despite blocking so many shots, he only averaged 2 fouls a game, which is amazing. Don't know if this kid is on McNair's radar or not, but I hope so.
He looks smoove.

Watched the whole thing. I think this is the exact kind of player you take a flyer on. You can't teach his athleticism. His timing on blocks seems pretty solid. Most impressive was probably his 3 pt shot. His form is pretty solid, he should be able to hit that in the NBA.

What I didn't see was his perimeter defense, it would've been nice to see that. His post moves a little clunky but I'm sure that could be worked on.

Seems like a great choice for a 2nd round pick.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Watched the whole thing. I think this is the exact kind of player you take a flyer on. You can't teach his athleticism. His timing on blocks seems pretty solid. Most impressive was probably his 3 pt shot. His form is pretty solid, he should be able to hit that in the NBA.

What I didn't see was his perimeter defense, it would've been nice to see that. His post moves a little clunky but I'm sure that could be worked on.

Seems like a great choice for a 2nd round pick.
Looks like a camp invite/hope he falls out of the 2nd type to me. In the 2nd round there could be some better guarantees at the Kings pick. Greg Brown could drop, Isaiah Mobley could be there. Jericho Sims will probably rise but he could be there. BJ Boston could be there if he stays in. The Kings have a decent shot to find some 1st round level prospects in the 2nd this year like they did last year.