[Game] Preseason Kings vs. Lakers, 10/14/21 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was probably the most critical of the Davion pick of anyone. I loved watching him in the tourney but I thought he was a low ceiling NBA player who played the same position as the Kings two best players.

I was pushing for a gamble on Sengun or Jalen Johnson or a "safe" wing like Moody or Wagner. I just didn't see Mitchell making a big impact as a backup and a lost opportunity to possibly get a third core piece to play alongside Haliburton and Fox.

It's still early but so far Davion looks like a culture changer and a far better individual player on the NBA level than I thought he'd be. His offense didn't get going last night but he still played a huge part with his defense and hustle.

This Kings team still needs another star to really be a contender, but really hard to argue the pick now.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on whether or not tonight was a dress rehearsal. Especially with the arrival of Mitchell going to squeeze someone for minutes and Davis making his best case to be in the rotation.

I've been looking at last year, he runs 9 deep most of the time, sometimes even 8.
Fox, Hali, Barnes, and Holmes will be starters and it looks like Harkless and Buddy will be the 5th starter and 6th man in one order or another.

Davion will play and one of Len or Thompson and it looks like Walton is leaning Thompson.

That leaves one more spot in a nine man rotation. Even with the glut of guards and the need for rebounding, it seems hard to imagine Bagley getting those minutes over Davis.

It's still better for the Kings if Bagley has a breakout season and is either traded or re-signed to be part of the core moving forward, but I think it may be more likely that this season is the tipping point to him having a journeyman career.

I was probably the most critical of the Davion pick of anyone. I loved watching him in the tourney but I thought he was a low ceiling NBA player who played the same position as the Kings two best players.

I was pushing for a gamble on Sengun or Jalen Johnson or a "safe" wing like Moody or Wagner. I just didn't see Mitchell making a big impact as a backup and a lost opportunity to possibly get a third core piece to play alongside Haliburton and Fox.

It's still early but so far Davion looks like a culture changer and a far better individual player on the NBA level than I thought he'd be. His offense didn't get going last night but he still played a huge part with his defense and hustle.

This Kings team still needs another star to really be a contender, but really hard to argue the pick now.
I was pretty critical of the kings picking Mitchell too. Not critical of Mitchell himself but the kings choosing someone at a position they don’t need. We still are kinda bare in the bigger wing department and it showed with us having to put TD or Buddy on lebron at times but Mitchell has proved he was the BPA at our pick so far and now that he’s a king, I hope he becomes BPA of the whole draft. Hopefully his impact on the kings makes up for our lack of depth at sf/pf wing

Should be noted that the Delon for TT trade has worked out far better than anyone imagined at the time of the trade. The dude's been a real leader for the Kings and given us the rebounding and defensive intensity to run three guard lineups without getting absolutely destroyed by size.

Maybe this Monte guy isn't a complete doofus.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

Should be noted that the Delon for TT trade has worked out far better than anyone imagined at the time of the trade. The dude's been a real leader for the Kings and given us the rebounding and defensive intensity to run three guard lineups without getting absolutely destroyed by size.
Happily eating crow on this one. What’s with the old Cavs castoffs that translate to beloved Sacramento leaders? Hopefully this time he stays for awhile.

Maybe we should trade for Kevin Love next. :p

Davis needs 20+ minutes a night, he's electric! Monte picked Ujiris pockets.
I hope they trade for a little more rebounding and defense upfront.

Last edited:
Fox, Hali, Barnes, and Holmes will be starters and it looks like Harkless and Buddy will be the 5th starter and 6th man in one order or another.

Davion will play and one of Len or Thompson and it looks like Walton is leaning Thompson.

That leaves one more spot in a nine man rotation. Even with the glut of guards and the need for rebounding, it seems hard to imagine Bagley getting those minutes over Davis.

It's still better for the Kings if Bagley has a breakout season and is either traded or re-signed to be part of the core moving forward, but I think it may be more likely that this season is the tipping point to him having a journeyman career.
I've said it before, if he's not starting this year you're pretty hard-pressed to find minutes for him.

Teams go small when they go to their bench.

It might be telling that we didn't see Metu last night, since he slots easily into the hypothetical Bagley role.

I mentioned in one forum members post when discussing possible rotation minutes breakdown…….and he didn’t have TD in the rotation that that would have zero chances of happening. TD has an important role on this team and he’s got some dog in him. Love TD and Mitchell on the floor together
The offer is still on the table for your to provide you position by position minute rotation breakdown ;)

Easy to make these claims without sitting down and thinking the minute distribution through. We have a plethora of guard talent. There’s no doubt.

Fox, Haliburton, Hield, Mitchell, and Davis combined for 136 minutes last night with Haliburton only logging 23 minutes and Hield only logging 24 minutes. There are only 144 minutes between PG, SG, and SF which means they practically played all of those minutes.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
The offer is still on the table for your to provide you position by position minute rotation breakdown ;)

Easy to make these claims without sitting down and thinking the minute distribution through. We have a plethora of guard talent. There’s no doubt.
Nah. I’d rather just point out stuff my way. My whole point is that TD is going to be part of the rotation….too important.

Also, I think the way this team is going to roll is there will be some reduced minutes for guys from game to game.

Maybe a better task would be identifying which players are going to be the flex players from game to game……meaning minutes widely varying. Bagley, Harkless, Len, TT and probably TD and even Hield. I can see Buddy going between 30/32 and 24 minutes in games.

I wanted Bouknight, Johnson, or Sengun, but would’ve been fine with Mitchell. Thought he would be Bobby J 2.0 with some Pat Beverley. His ceiling is higher than that. The offense is already better than what I thought a year three version of him would be, especially the shot. His defense, especially his impact on overall team defense, is a culture changer. Kings find a way to get Dort and they become the least favorite team to play against in the league.

Last edited:

Not to mention that it gives the Kings a facsimile to Richaun Holmes for his probable shoulder injury during the season that puts him out for a couple weeks like it has the past couple seasons. Now they can keep the same style of play if they have to put TT in the starting lineup.

Not to mention that it gives the Kings a facsimile to Richaun Holmes for his probable shoulder injury during the season that puts him out for a couple weeks like it has the past couple seasons. Now they can keep the same style of play if they have to put TT in the starting lineup.
I think the addition of Len & TT might help Holmes avoid the type of injuries he has suffered the past couple of years. It takes a toll on your body banging under the basket against guys that often outweigh him by 30+ pounds every night.

I won't be surprised if our end of the game lineups include Fox-Mitchell-Haliburton-Buddy-Barnes

Maybe sub out Buddy or Haliburton for bigger players, but there's no way I don't see Mitchell in there unless he's in foul trouble. His defense is a game changer. I think it'll be a fun season.

Finally got to see the Kings play on tv, the rewind of an exhibition game was not blacked out.
The Kings have a more physical style than any time recently. Lin and Thompson make a difference. So does Mitchell. Fox is not so slight. Davis is a more phycial player.
At the end the Kings were playing 4 guards and beat the giant Lakers. This suggests that 3 guards will work against most of the teams in the NBA. Fox, Hali, Mitchell, Barnes and a big. The guard line up provides speed, pesky defense and better shooting. They are not that much of a liability for rebounding as many believe, especially with Thompson and/or Lin on the floor.