[Game] Preseason Game 1: Kings @ Blazers 12/11/2020 7:30pst,10:30est

Status
Not open for further replies.
He plays defense like he cares. He's just not good at it.

He's bulked up quite a bit from last year but I'm really not sure why. No one has ever thought that Hield's game will reach another level if he just gets stronger. It's his lateral quickness and fundamentals that need work. Not his frame.
Yet the kicker still is that nearly 90% of the Kings best defensive lineups with at least 10 minutes and 10 games together all had Buddy in them. So, whether or not he's a stopper apparently his effect on the team being a good defensive team or not is at worst marginal. Monte is supposedly the stats guy. After 1 preseason game if he glances at those 5 man unit stats from last year it will be pretty easy to figure out where the issue is and it ain't the players. At least not the most pressing issue.

That's worse. WAY worse, and it's exactly the reason I hated the move. If he had just made it clear he didn't believe in Giles anymore I wouldn't have made nearly the stink. He played fast and loose with an asset that for all intents and purposes he still seemed to believe in.

Maybe if Vlade was still here Giles would still be here (which I find unlikely), but it just goes to show you need a certain level of planning and competence for these things. Vlade botching it in the way he did is like being unable to read.

The express goal was to decline his option in order to motivate him into a BETTER contract... with us? That's what every report was saying in the aftermath of that moment. That's also not a thing.

It's like saying that you're trying to tank for the first pick and then you expressly start winning games in pursuit of that goal, and then say that those games you won mathematically improve your odds.
The issue is Giles performed far better than a young player you shouldn't believe in or keep cost controlled through his rookie contract. You decline guys like Caleb Swanigan who have shown absolutely nothing at the NBA level... not a guy like Giles while not totally effective, showed real elite tools to get a quality rotational player down the line.

People trying to give Vlade credit for a galaxy move is just dumb. It was never about Giles the player in the first place. It was the fact that a GM willingly gave up team control of a young asset that showed promise for absolutely no reason at all. Just a microcosm for his mistake-filled tenure as GM.

The issue is Giles performed far better than a young player you shouldn't believe in or keep cost controlled through his rookie contract. You decline guys like Caleb Swanigan who have shown absolutely nothing at the NBA level... not a guy like Giles while not totally effective, showed real elite tools to get a quality rotational player down the line.

People trying to give Vlade credit for a galaxy move is just dumb. It was never about Giles the player in the first place. It was the fact that a GM willingly gave up team control of a young asset that showed promise for absolutely no reason at all. Just a microcosm for his mistake-filled tenure as GM.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I still would have made a big stink about it.

But as it stands my biggest issue with that move were that his justifications for it might be the dumbest thought process I've ever seen at the NBA level and this is the guy who picked Marvin Bagley over Luka Doncic.

Status
Not open for further replies.