[Game] Preseason Game 1: Kings @ Blazers 12/11/2020 7:30pst,10:30est

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop. Harry had no role on this team. Maybe he'll be a decent contributor on a blazers team that will fighting for a playoff spot but Giles wasn't doing anything for the kings in their current situation. Dude is not a different maker on a crappy team
I'll agree with you there, however his mission in this league is going to be to burn the Kings 4 x a year.

Haliburton seemed to be more of an observer tonight than I expected. Hopefully he's as high bb IQ as represented and was absorbing everything?
A little too unselfish IMO. Better than being a ball hog but he should already know that playing second fiddle to some of the peers in his lineup is beneath him already.

The poise is incredible. I can't remember a player at his age with that kind of poise as a 2nd rounder. He had it at Texas Tech too. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up like Buddy where we find out his birth certificate was wrong. He's actually 32. haha.
There was one point of the game, granted it was garbage time, where on one play where everyone took a bad shot. Then Ramsey takes it strong to the basket with a nice finish.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Young player with upside might help team in playoff race, but has no spot on one of the worst teams in the league. That logic checks out.
We’ve been through this with Harry before. It’s not like he hasn’t proven capable of big nights. It’s the four or five bad games in between them that’s the problem. It’s a better version of the Skal dilemma.

It almost felt like he had too much respect for NBA defenders and was afraid to be too aggressive
Something was in his head, I'm sure it will decrease game by game. We may not see the real him for 25+ games. Supposedly as a team guy who makes the players around him better the game may come to him a bit slower trying to interpret everything.

There was one point of the game, granted it was garbage time, where on one play where everyone took a bad shot. Then Ramsey takes it strong to the basket with a nice finish.
You know what I liked the most about him?

It's a rather meager detail others may call moot, but he tried to time an offensive board between two Portland bigs. He almost got it too.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Something was in his head, I'm sure it will decrease game by game. We may not see the real him for 25+ games. Supposedly as a team guy who makes the players around him better the game may come to him a bit slower trying to interpret everything.
At the same time, he was already wreaking havoc on the defensive end so I’m not too concerned about his long term prospects.

Young player with upside might help team in playoff race, but has no spot on one of the worst teams in the league. That logic checks out.
A better team can hide his countless inefficiencies and make him look better than he is. The kings can not.

Wanting every player that the kings don't sign to thrive so it looks bad on the team they say they are a fan of. That logic checks out.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
A better team can hide his countless inefficiencies and make him look better than he is. The kings can not.

Wanting every player that the kings don't sign to thrive so it looks bad on the team they say they are a fan of. That logic checks out.
If by every player you mean Giles and DMC, then yes it’s my logic. Lol

We’ve been through this with Harry before. It’s not like he hasn’t proven capable of big nights. It’s the four or five bad games in between them that’s the problem. It’s a better version of the Skal dilemma.
It's also role. When he's asked to come in and defend pick and roll or guard post ups is when things will get just as questioned as in Sac. I mean, did he dominate on Holmes tonight? Nope in fact I think it was double donuts. Harry's upside is his skillset. I think Portland is only marginally better than the Kings are for him because the Kings clearly have to play small and they have Bagley who isn't a good compliment to him. The Blazers might be good enough to get him garbage time to experiment and with Luke, even with garbage time you know he'd get scraps since he's got to find time to the Glen Robinsons and Cory Josephs of the world. Priorities people.

Haliburton looked exactly as advertised on defense. But as one poster said earlier in the thread, he was almost indistinguishable from Justin James on offense. Hopefully he just had the butterflies going. It was like he was allergic to the paint and missed some very easy scoring and passing plays.

I liked what I saw from Jahmi'us "Zero f***s given" Ramsey. His swag was that of a guy who has been in the league for 10 years.

He also mentioned not having Baze and Len, and how much it hurt without them defensively and trying to fit everyone in.

Deal with it Tank Commander!
Good, now Luke will deserve every laugh he gets for trying to put the blame on his GM and using the likes of Baze and Len to do it, haha. Makes me wonder if he threw his boy Vlade under the bus too.

A little too unselfish IMO. Better than being a ball hog but he should already know that playing second fiddle to some of the peers in his lineup is beneath him already.
What it looked like to me too. Wanted to run the offense, be in the flow of the game. Missing Holmes might have spooked him a bit after getting yelled at; didn't want to get caught holding the ball too long again.

On defense though, looked incredible for a young guard. Super active in passing lanes and I counted 3 strong shot contests at the rim after guard penetration. Put up the best defensive guard performance on the team rather easily.

Pros:
- Tyrese after a mostly invisible first few minutes showed some promise on defensive end. Played somewhat too passively (moving the ball on the wing to Cory Joseph for a 3 should never be your first option) but that's to be expected. Not much showing on the offensive end.
- Ramsey looked pretty good
- Buddy looked decent

Cons:
- If De'Aaron doesn't learn to shoot we are screwed. His 3 pointers were not even close, and he was bad from the FT line. Hopefully it's just first game jitters given that lots of team mates have been singing praises, but his game performance was no different than many games last year.
- Luke Walton continues to be in the employ of the Sacramento Kings

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
contract aside, only thing i know is that he didn't fill the nurkić shoes... defensively
To be fair, Nurk didn't really fill Nurk's shoes defensively but was on such a roll offensively/has such a good feel for playing off of Dame that there was absolutely no way that Stotts wasn't going to immediately play him 30 minutes a night despite the fact he was coming off of a major lower leg injury.

Not really saying that I disagree with you but with Whiteside being super cheap and the Kings not exactly looking to make a deep run this season, the fit at least makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.