Potential draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who wants to bet that Atlanta is going to trade one of their pics to us so that we get 2 picks back to back. We give them our other 2nd round pick and "future considerations" or some other nonsense.

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

In this mock I would have Kings taking Louis King Oregon at 40, Darius Bazley 47, Kyle Guy at 60.
I see they have the Admiral falling to 51 and Jontay Porter to 60. I know a lot of folks here have been quite high on Admiral, and from what I can tell unless some major news has broke on Porters health status we have the players and time to let Porter slowly rehab.

Last edited:
My Top 10 choices using Baja's list of possible 2nd round picks (+2):
1. Luka Samanic: He looks impressive. Great length and skills. Probably a stretch 4, maybe a point forward. Seems like a steal if available to us in the 2nd round. My 1st choice.
2. Dylan Windler: Baja really likes him, but I'm not so impressed with his defensive potential. Kind of a meh athlete and likely a mediocre defender in the NBA. Pass.
3. Darius Bazley: Grab this guy if he's available to us. Assuming he has a work ethic. My 2nd choice.
4. Isaiah Roby: This guy reminds me of Kawhi Leonard (before blossoming in San Antonio). My 3rd choice.
5. Ignas Brazdeikis: May become a great shooter, but lacks length and will always be limited as a defender. Pass.
6. Mfiondu Kabengele: Nephew of Dikembe Mutombo. Foul prone. But awesome potential. My 4th choice.
7. Admiral Schofield: Wouldn't be terrible to have our own version of Jae Crowder. But I don't think he's athletic enough to be wholly successful at the 2, and he's too undersized to be wholly successful at the 3. Pass.
8. Nic Claxton: Has potential, but may take 2-3 years to get strong enough to compete with the bigger 4s and 5s. Pass.
9. Jontay Porter: Reminds me a litle of KAT offensively, but is lacking as a defender. His potential depends greatly on how he develops and rehabs his body. He would probably follow the Harry Giles blueprint and not play in his first year. My 5th choice.
10. DaQuan Jeffries: Explosive athlete and great defender. Solid 3-pt shooter (from the college line). But why would we want a guy who would be our 3rd option at shooting guard behind Buddy and Bogi? Because he would be our only shooting guard who can really defend. My 6th choice.
11. Chuma Okeke: A potential star depending on his recovery from ACL tear and his ability to learn to create his own shot. My 7th choice.
12. Jalen McDaniels: Physically I see this guy as somewhere between Brandon Ingram and Ben Simmons. Great defensive potential. My 8th choice.
Additions:
-- Marques Bolden: Great body for a traditional NBA center with a 7’5 wingspan, soft hands and quick feet. My 9th choice.
-- Brian Bowen: 6'8 wing with good size and length. Quick first step and good scoring ability with good stroke and a quick release. Rebounds well. Good defender. My 10th choice.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Been watching as much film as I can find on this player. I did see a couple of his games and he's an interesting prospect. Not sure what his contract status is, or whether he'd want to come over if he was drafted in the 2nd rd. I'm referring to Deividas Sirvydis, a 6'8" PG who plays for Lithuania. He's only 18 years old and he definitely needs to get stronger, but he's impressive at times, and he can really shoot the ball.

Been watching as much film as I can find on this player. I did see a couple of his games and he's an interesting prospect. Not sure what his contract status is, or whether he'd want to come over if he was drafted in the 2nd rd. I'm referring to Deividas Sirvydis, a 6'8" PG who plays for Lithuania. He's only 18 years old and he definitely needs to get stronger, but he's impressive at times, and he can really shoot the ball.

Have you seen any defensive videos?

Any player with handles like that and that shooting stroke who is 6'8" is intriguing. When is the last time a Euro came into the draft with that size and skills?

Any player with handles like that and that shooting stroke who is 6'8" is intriguing. When is the last time a Euro came into the draft with that size and skills?
In the second round? Absolutely.

His handles are high, he's left hand dominate, is straight line, and is not sudden enough. He's a three in the league.

The shot is compact and nice though. And he's 18, so the body can change, the dribble can get lower, and with time should be able to develop more advanced dribbling. Wonder what Bogi looked like at 18? Prob something like him. We'll see.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Drafting in the 2nd round makes the contract status less important, imo. Say the guy can't play over here for two years, if he's a keeper, who cares? He'd be 20 years old when he plays for the Kings. I wouldn't mind at all if the Kings draft a player or two that can't play with them next year. The key is whether they can play once they're over here.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Drafting in the 2nd round makes the contract status less important, imo. Say the guy can't play over here for two years, if he's a keeper, who cares? He'd be 20 years old when he plays for the Kings. I wouldn't mind at all if the Kings draft a player or two that can't play with them next year. The key is whether they can play once they're over here.
It seemed to work out okay for Peja. ;)

Hate to bring up Grant, but he was talking to DC yesterday about the possibility of the Kings swapping our three 2nd round picks for one first round pick (with a team that's over the salary cap and doesn't want to pay the price of a 1st round pick). I guess it would depend on who we thought we could draft with that pick. But I'm content to pick three guys in the 2nd round who fall to us. With this year's draft, it seems like we'd have better odds of finding a gem with three 2nd round picks than having one pick in the mid-to-late 1st round.

Hate to bring up Grant, but he was talking to DC yesterday about the possibility of the Kings swapping our three 2nd round picks for one first round pick (with a team that's over the salary cap and doesn't want to pay the price of a 1st round pick). I guess it would depend on who we thought we could draft with that pick. But I'm content to pick three guys in the 2nd round who fall to us. With this year's draft, it seems like we'd have better odds of finding a gem with three 2nd round picks than having one pick in the mid-to-late 1st round.
Do you think that 3 picks might be too much though? All 3 aren't going to make the roster. 1 potentially could with the other 2 on 2 way contracts but I believe they'd be available to sign with other active NBA rosters before signing a 2 way with the Kings right?

The Kings will only have a few months to evaluate the players but they certainly won't be able to keep all of them on the roster unless free agency is a massive failure. I'd just hate to lose any of the players for nothing when something more valuable could have been traded for them.

Do you think that 3 picks might be too much though? All 3 aren't going to make the roster. 1 potentially could with the other 2 on 2 way contracts but I believe they'd be available to sign with other active NBA rosters before signing a 2 way with the Kings right?

The Kings will only have a few months to evaluate the players but they certainly won't be able to keep all of them on the roster unless free agency is a massive failure. I'd just hate to lose any of the players for nothing when something more valuable could have been traded for them.
Say the Kings are super high on a late 1st wing like Matisse Thybulle and are confident they will upgrade at center in free agency then yeah the 3 for 1 trade makes some sense.
I'm just not sold yet on any late 1st or 2nd round picks though some are sounding promising.

This is the type of year where you should be able to straight up buy a pick in the late 1st because of the cap space teams are looking to horde, the fall possibilities like you mention, and the much of talent from about 14 on. The issue with that is this should also be a volatile draft from top to bottom because of it so if you really want to draft someone you better get your intel and be prepared to trade up.

My strategy would be to pick two guys that would be expected to come to camp to compete. With the 3rd pick (not necessarily #60), choose a guy who will spend the season recovering, rehabbing or strengthening (or all three), or playing elsewhere. The 2-way contracts are perfect for someone like Wenyen Gabriel, who spends one year working on his game in the G-League and the next year (hopefully) getting some run with the Kings.

Last edited:
With 11 workouts already I'm glad they are leaving no stone unturned for that diamond in the rough. Bowen back for 2nd workout!

Oklahoma Thunder are looking to unload their first round pick, 21st overall. According to USA Today. They are way into the luxury tax.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
With 11 workouts already I'm glad they are leaving no stone unturned for that diamond in the rough. Bowen back for 2nd workout!
I'm not seeing Bowen listed as being in one of the first 10 workouts, did I miss something? I'm glad we're bringing in Bowen, and I'd sure as heck like us to see Bazley too.

Oklahoma Thunder are looking to unload their first round pick, 21st overall. According to USA Today. They are way into the luxury tax.
I'm sure we're open for business. We've got seconds and future seconds to spare! We would probably have to move up into that range to have a shot at, say, Samanic anyways.

Sean Cunningham@SeanCunningham
Thursday’s Kings pre-draft workout: Jordan Bone (G – 6’3” Tennessee) Terence Davis (G – 6’4.5” Mississippi) Brian Bowen (G – 6’7.5” Sydney Kings) Zylan Cheatham (F – 6’8” 217 Arizona St.) Trey Mourning (C – 6’9” Georgetown) Chris Silva (C – 6’10” 227 lbs.) South Carolina

So Schroeder for Yogi Saves them Luxury tax , we go from 40th to 21st pick and get backup PG

Then go get Dedmon, use 21st pick on Backup SF

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So Schroeder for Yogi Saves them Luxury tax , we go from 40th to 21st pick and get backup PG

Then go get Dedmon, use 21st pick on Backup SF
Man, Schroeder has a pretty big contract ($31M total over 2 years) and this would save the Thunder AT LEAST $23M in luxury tax payments (but likely a lot more), so a trade like this would be a net $54M++ into the Thunder's coffers. And all we get is a #21 pick? I know they've already committed their 2020/2022 picks, but I'd insist on more than just the one pick. I'd at least require pick swaps in 2021 and 2023 (the best they can do right now). Also, no way we send them #40 back. Maybe #60, maybe not even that. They can have Yogi and like it if they're going to ask us to pay $31M for a backup PG and save themselves at least $54M in the process.

Man, Schroeder has a pretty big contract ($31M total over 2 years) and this would save the Thunder AT LEAST $23M in luxury tax payments (but likely a lot more), so a trade like this would be a net $54M++ into the Thunder's coffers. And all we get is a #21 pick? I know they've already committed their 2020/2022 picks, but I'd insist on more than just the one pick. I'd at least require pick swaps in 2021 and 2023 (the best they can do right now). Also, no way we send them #40 back. Maybe #60, maybe not even that. They can have Yogi and like it if they're going to ask us to pay $31M for a backup PG and save themselves at least $54M in the process.
Well ok, then Pick 60 for 21 (a 1st rounder) is still very cool
15m per year for backup is a lot, but sounds like we were looking at 10 mil for Beverly , so an extra 5 mil to get a 1st rounder?
Backup SF Draft picks possible Little,Porter,Doumboya,Washington,Tybulle,Okpala
Get Dedmon or Lopez for C

Fox,Schroeder,Mason
Buddy, Bogie,40th(sirvydis-3rd SGorSF)
Barnes,21st Pick
Marvin,Bjelly,Swannigan
Dedmon,Giles,47th (Fall or Bassey)

Status
Not open for further replies.