Post National Media Coverage Here

SLAB

Hall of Famer
All this smoke there has to be some fire... Dave’s done some great things. He also has infuriating habits. He also seems stubborn as a mule.

It’s going to be interesting for sure... and if the decision is made to move on, Vlade better have his man ready to sign the dotted line immediatly.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Well the question of whether Dave can get along with the front office is there. We know about the Williams part. The article hints at more.
It hints that there were issues in Memphis, which is one of the dopiest FOs in the league. Chris Wallace is a maroon. They have gotten worse with each coaching change they've made since Joerger left and seem to be in complete disarray.

He's lead the team to its best season in a while and may be difficult to replace. Who knows what might happen with another coach; might clash with players, might go away from a suitable offense for Fox, might phase Giles out of the rotation, etc. So, I wouldn't fire him, but....

The writing's sorta been on the wall.

-Talking heads that work for the media in the organization and employees from other teams around the league are gearing up for post-Joerger, and that includes Grant.
-The schism between Williams and Joerger, and notably the fact that they're both still here. Everyone tried to sell this as a non-issue and pretend it didn't happen, but clearly not the case.
-Joerger himself forced his way out of Memphis. Everyone also likes to pretend that this never happened.

Last edited:
I read the Jones article.

Here’s my thoughts:

1. Some parts sounded like it came straight out of Brandon Williams’ mouth. Basically, Williams, I mean Jones, is arguing that the kids don’t know how to express themselves to Joeger (bcz they’re kids n bcz of social media). Therefore, Joeger doesn’t know there is simmering issues btn the kids and him. My read: Williams is arguing that he spoke up on behalf of the kids n that he was really a hero, who became the fall guy.

2. Then Jones drills down and basically says it’s all on Joeger to bridge that gap. Jones fails to counterbalance it by saying sometimes it’s on the assistant coaches to bridge that gap or to acknowledge the very real fact that coaches don’t need to be the players best friends to get the most out of them.

3. It was a hit piece on Joeger. And rather embarrassing.

4. Maybe Joeger is indeed gone, but if he is, the Kings need to dump Williams’ n his shady bs as well. #firewilliams.

5. N maybe, then, Jones will start producing more balanced articles.

Reading the tea leaves joeger is gone. Him and his coaching staff refected the olive branch that vlade and wiliams brought forward. I think this refusal to forgive and get along wins no favor with vlade

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I hope, but it's starting to have the feel of a coordinated media message.

Of course it could also be coming from the Williams camp and it's just as likely BW is toast and we all move on happy.
When I hear Grant being circumspect in his communication about Joerger, then I'll start to get worried. A couple of weeks ago I heard one journalist Grant interviewed say that he had "planned" to write about this at the end of the season, just because it "appears" to be an unresolved controversy. We will see....

I think it would be a big mistake to fire Joeger after the progress he's made with this squad. He's not perfect, but people have very short memories if they think we can't do a hell of a lot worse than him. There are plenty of terrible coaches out there, and Joeger is a pretty damn good coach as far as I'm concerned. I don't really care for Williams at all.

He deserves at least one more year to see if we can get this squad to the playoffs. If he doesn't, then you can think about moving on.

Joerger is a known commodity and has been instrumental in building a system around the youngsters.

Williams has to go and Vlade's inability to deal with it swiftly up to this point in a bid to get everyone on the same page has not worked. He needs to pull the trigger so we do not waste this years progression.

Ive brought this up before in my attempts to read into the situation but we need to address this as point 1A of our offseason agenda. Everything else is secondary

Joerger putting Vlade in a position where the coach is deciding who can be assistant GM and who can't is not tenable for Vlade. Maybe Joerger hurt himself more with his temper tantrum than Williams did.
Yeah he is making it a political landscape and has the followship to further his point with the assistants feeling the same way.

It is what it is. If you or i were Joerger we may very well play that card also. He will get paid one way or the other and will have a young exciting team to coach be it us or the wolves

The other thing is this. Kings are not getting a quality free agent if Vlade and/or Joerger are on 1 year deals. That's an unstable situation. Whatever decision they have to make, it's going to be made this offseason. Probably within the next couple of weeks. As someone said, those exit interviews might be a big deal.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I don’t buy that Joerger is in trouble at all. I just don’t. JasonAnderson took a quote from WCS in the same article and twisted to WCS can’t wait to get out of here and was completely misleading by JA. JA even retracted and apologized in print.

Bagley’s and Fox’s quotes are the biggest concerns. They’re very conditional statements and when you hear that you know Joerger still has issues connecting and communicating his plans to his players, specifically his younger players. Curious what they will tell Divac at the end of the season.

I don't think Joerger is coming back. The players quoted don't exactly give enthusiastic endorsements. Dave seems to be a technically proficient coach who also does not foster an open exchange of ideas. That's a style of coaching that used to be prevalent--some will say Pop is still that now. But, that's Pop. Keep in mind, these are guys who have played for Cal, K, Kruger, and Obradovic. They are quite familiar with great, hard-nosed coaches.

Lastly, no one has ever accused Jason Jones of chasing down a story. If he's reporting this it's getting fed to him on a silver platter by the FO.

I think it would be a big mistake to fire Joeger after the progress he's made with this squad. He's not perfect, but people have very short memories if they think we can't do a hell of a lot worse than him. There are plenty of terrible coaches out there, and Joeger is a pretty damn good coach as far as I'm concerned. I don't really care for Williams at al
He deserves at least one more year to see if we can get this squad to the playoffs. If he doesn't, then you can think about moving on.
Skeptical about next year given since all-star break. Alot of close losses, indicate a lack of attention to details, and unfortunately the scale for that points more to coaching. That doesn't mean Joerger should be fired though. He does deserve another year, though he ought to take in criticism.

though he ought to take in criticism.
This is probably part of where the breakdown comes from. Does joeger constructively accept criticism? Could be at the root of the Williams Joeger breakdown as well as joegers lack of openness with the young players. If true, we got as much out of Joeger as we could and its time for a better fit at coach.

Ive noticed the change of wind direction over at KHTK with regards to Joerger. Dave saying he's got a bad feeling about our coaching situation and Grant going from getting mad when someone brought up Joerger and the potential FO problems to IMO, sounding a tad resigned to how this all seems to be going.

If you take into account how Joerger's stay in memphis ended, there just might be smoke here. Whatever direction this goes, I just hope this is resolved quickly rather than dragging out all offseason.

So, I say I'm not worried about Joerger being fired until Napear is circumspect in his comments about him, and then yesterday he's circumspect in his comments, saying he's going to be brutally honest in his comments about everything on Thursday and doesn't want to even say a word about the situation until the season is over.:rolleyes:
I heard that too... hope it is nothing.

I think going into the year - "last minute possessions for high stakes" probably wasn't on the list of things to do. Nobody expected us to be playing for anything of consequence... nobody in the least reasonable expected us to be in a playoff chase after the all star break.

I really want to see where Dave takes the team next year. His X's and O's reputation is good I think. I believe him when he implies he has a lot more under the hood in terms of stuff to teach this VERY VERY YOUNG team.

So, I say I'm not worried about Joerger being fired until Napear is circumspect in his comments about him, and then yesterday he's circumspect in his comments, saying he's going to be brutally honest in his comments about everything on Thursday and doesn't want to even say a word about the situation until the season is over.:rolleyes:
Interesting. This seems to have tipped his hand. He mentioned a few days ago how him and Doig know a LOT more of the behind the scenes stuff that they dont talk about. It seems they are privy to some big secrect. Like trying to hold gas inside a soda bottle, every once in awhile a little something bubbles out

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive noticed the change of wind direction over at KHTK with regards to Joerger. Dave saying he's got a bad feeling about our coaching situation and Grant going from getting mad when someone brought up Joerger and the potential FO problems to IMO, sounding a tad resigned to how this all seems to be going.

If you take into account how Joerger's stay in memphis ended, there just might be smoke here. Whatever direction this goes, I just hope this is resolved quickly rather than dragging out all offseason.
I’ve noticed that too with Grant. He would quickly cut off or blow up at anybody who questioned Joergers future with the org
Just a couple of months ago. Now he’ll spend some time discussing it and I’ve also noticed he’s become more openly critical of some of Joergers moves. Which is something very rare of Grant who is usually never critical of sitting coaches. Granted he always prefaces it by noting his respect for Dave but it used to be that he would write off concerns with certain decisions as “Dave Joerger knows his players better than anybody”
And that the end of it.

It still makes fans seasoned with how Grants show can give indirect insight into the state of the organization or the status of members of management, coaching, or roster suspect there is something to rumors.

Problem with all of this, I can’t think of any coach available right now that I like better than Joerger. It would be a risky move

I wanted Joerger gone last year but he impressed this year and needs one more year to see if he can get this team to the playoffs. If they improve then he needs to be extended. If they take a step back then it might be time to look for a coach that can get them over the hump.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Reminder: For copyright reasons, we cannot allow the posting of entire articles (or major portions of articles) that are behind paywalls. Such postings will be deleted.