Possible to trade for Rubio?

Sorry nbrans, I am with the others in that I have no idea why taking Evans over Rubio would imply that the idea of making a move for Rubio is ludicrous. Fact is that Evans was taken as the BPA, and while I think that the current plan is that he takes over at PG, I think the reasoning for this is because of the team's needs. And I don't think there is any doubt that Minny drafted both Rubio and Flynn with the idea that Rubio had value as the #5 overall pick, and would fetch something in return that would address their needs. Surely SG is a glaring need for Minny right now, right? I don't necessarily think that the Kings should move Martin for Rubio, but clearly it could make sense for both teams. It may change the role that Evans is asked to play when Rubio is on the court, but it doesn't change the face that the Kings felt that he was the best player available at #5.

if we were to trade for one of minny's point guards, i think it would be flynn, i dont think petrie is that interested in rubio now. we get flynn and they keep rubio for the future.
oh ok so when we do that minnesota won't have a point guard. its not about getting rid of one of them. Rubio isnt going to play, their not looking to trade just anyone, ONLY rubio and maybe someone with him.

Rubio is not coming. That ship has sailed for three reasons:

1. Sactown is off Rubio's wish list. We had a hole at PG but now we don't. If the Kings do get Rubio he'll want out anyway so why bother?

2. The Kings are not going to move Evans to the 2 just to fit Rubio. Not gonna happen. They like Evans precisely because he's big and strong for a PG, move him to the two and his size is just ordinary. The Kings want a BIG TOUGH pitbull who can bully his way to the basket, not a skinny kid who makes fancy passes.

3. And the biggest reason why Rubio isn't coming: The Kings believes Evans is a better PG than Rubio. Not just a better player, but a better PG! You may not agree with this assessment but it's obvious the FO is not changing that opinion any time soon. They are not going to trade for a player who, in the Kings' opinion, is a lesser PG than what they have.

Sorry nbrans, I am with the others in that I have no idea why taking Evans over Rubio would imply that the idea of making a move for Rubio is ludicrous. Fact is that Evans was taken as the BPA, and while I think that the current plan is that he takes over at PG, I think the reasoning for this is because of the team's needs. And I don't think there is any doubt that Minny drafted both Rubio and Flynn with the idea that Rubio had value as the #5 overall pick, and would fetch something in return that would address their needs. Surely SG is a glaring need for Minny right now, right? I don't necessarily think that the Kings should move Martin for Rubio, but clearly it could make sense for both teams. It may change the role that Evans is asked to play when Rubio is on the court, but it doesn't change the face that the Kings felt that he was the best player available at #5.
The Kings don't need TWO PG of the Future. One is enough.

Evans was taken not just because he is the BPA, but also because he's the best PG available. I don't understand why it's so hard to understand that the Kings consider Evans a better PG than Rubio.

And btw, ALL NBA scouts, ex-players, and ex-coaches who had expresses their opinions agreed that Evans is a future star AT PG! Evans is a PG until he fails. So why don't we wait and see how he does before rushing out and trading for another PG?

And btw, ALL NBA scouts, ex-players, and ex-coaches who had expresses their opinions agreed that Evans is a future star AT PG! Evans is a PG until he fails. So why don't we wait and see how he does before rushing out and trading for another PG?
From what I read they all say he's a SG/combo. It's only the Kings saying he's a PG.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We're not getting Rubio. I don't want use to trade for him at this point since it's pretty obvious the Kings are getting tougher, going in a bigger direction, etc. Rubio was fun to hypothesize about but that's over.

From what I read they all say he's a SG/combo. It's only the Kings saying he's a PG.

I think its kind of a mixed bag but for the most part, most "experts" seem to believe that he is not a true point guard. Doesn't mean he can't develop the skills but its false to claim everyone thinks he's the best "pg" in the draft.

No, it's ludicrous.

First of all, the indications are that the front office would have picked Flynn over Rubio, and while we haven't heard about Curry, that's possible as well. So it's not as if they badly wanted Rubio.

Second of all, indications are that Minnesota isn't trading.

Third of all, the front offfice is committed to giving Evans a go at PG. Whether or not that works, you don't turn around and give up assets to trade for an unproven PG before you've seen how Evans works out there. That's not Petrie's style. It would be one thing to trade for someone like Rondo, where you know what you're getting and who has star power. But you're going to gamble assets on Rubio, who, by the way, the front office was lukewarm about from the start?

Let. Go. Of. The. Mancrush. You've had five days to get over it. It's time to move from the denial stage to the acceptance stage.

No, it's ludicrous.

First of all, the indications are that the front office would have picked Flynn over Rubio, and while we haven't heard about Curry, that's possible as well. So it's not as if they badly wanted Rubio.

Second of all, indications are that Minnesota isn't trading.

Third of all, the front offfice is committed to giving Evans a go at PG. Whether or not that works, you don't turn around and give up assets to trade for an unproven PG before you've seen how Evans works out there. That's not Petrie's style. It would be one thing to trade for someone like Rondo, where you know what you're getting and who has star power. But you're going to gamble assets on Rubio, who, by the way, the front office was lukewarm about from the start?

Let. Go. Of. The. Mancrush. You've had five days to get over it. It's time to move from the denial stage to the acceptance stage.

You're right.

People need to get over this. It's really not the end of the world. We've got a great young guy in Evans. Much and all as I like Rubio, his success is far from guaranteed.

In the days before the draft, for some reason I really took to Evans, to the point where on draft night I was hoping we took him over Rubio. And that's saying something considering how much I like Rubio (something nbrans will testify to). Evans has alot going for him.

Let it go people. We're not getting Rubio. I'll follow his career from afar, but I'm glad we have Evans. We'll be right back in the lottery next year. A top 4 pick then will likely be much better than a top 4 this year. This time next year we'll probably have the guts of the rebuild over with; the players will hopefully be in place. Just enjoy the rookie years of Evans, Casspi and possibly Brockman. Stop worrying and pining over other guys.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
rubio Is Not Coming. That Ship Has Sailed For Three Reasons:

1. Sactown Is Off Rubio's Wish List. We Had A Hole At Pg But Now We Don't. If The Kings Do Get Rubio He'll Want Out Anyway So Why Bother?

2. The Kings Are Not Going To Move Evans To The 2 Just To Fit Rubio. Not Gonna Happen. They Like Evans Precisely Because He's Big And Strong For A Pg, Move Him To The Two And His Size Is Just Ordinary. The Kings Want A Big Tough Pitbull Who Can Bully His Way To The Basket, Not A Skinny Kid Who Makes Fancy Passes.

3. And The Biggest Reason Why Rubio Isn't Coming: The Kings Believes Evans Is A Better Pg Than Rubio. Not Just A Better Player, But A Better Pg! You May Not Agree With This Assessment But It's Obvious The Fo Is Not Changing That Opinion Any Time Soon. They Are Not Going To Trade For A Player Who, In The Kings' Opinion, Is A Lesser Pg Than What They Have.
bingo!

Let it go people. We're not getting Rubio. I'll follow his career from afar, but I'm glad we have Evans. We'll be right back in the lottery next year. A top 4 pick then will likely be much better than a top 4 this year.
Gavin already said he was the best player in the draft and our savior !!! It's playoff time not lotto next year !!! Believe the hype !!

Wouldn't make any sense to trade for Rubio now and it would be absolutely insane to give up Martin for him. You just have to accept that our team management doesn't think very highly of his abilities. Given that they scouted him in Europe before the draft and he visited Sacramento after that, I'm sure that decision was based on solid judgments. Memphis and Oklahoma weren't too excited either. Anyway, whatever the reason was for passing on him, our front office would be hopelessly insecure if they were to do a panicked 180 turn just because some pundits grade our draft with D.
wait what? we scouted him in Europe brought him I'm twice and were not interested? obviously we had interest we just decided that Evans had the higher ceiling. If Evans was gone no doubt we take Rubio at that spot.

Martin is a decent scorer, but he's extremely frail, indifferent at best on defenseand never going to be anything but a scorer and because he's so weak it's possible to take him out of the game with a stronger more athelrtic defender. He isn't the type of player you build around and clearly this team isn't going to win this year with or without Martin. might as well make the move that makes more sense in the long run especially ad far as being a team that can compete in the playoffs. Rubio and Evans is a much better combo than Evans Martin. better defensively, better team offense, better to create mis matches.. it'd be great

Just wait another year and get Wall
we saw how well that worked out with Blake griffin plus mathematically we have like a 5% chance of getting him. why not make it happen now when we realistically have great options for minnesoat and a logjam at the sg position. rubio isn't as good as wall but let's not bank on getting wall when it's so unlikely

I believe the consensus is that Evans is not yet ready to be a PG but down the road, he's going to be. You're right that people said he's a combo guard... for now. But in a few years, the consensus is that he's going to be a PG and a very good one.

This is just a sample, but below is what they said on NBA TV.

Eric Snow: This team needs a player who can help other teammates become better players. This is a guy in the PG position can post up, he can draw double teams. A bigger guard who can cause match-up problems.

Ron Thompson (nba scout): I think that he has good size. I think that he can play the one. I think he can do other things besides being a traditional PG. He's a very, very special talent. Sacramento being where they are, at this stage, this is a good pick. Down the line, when they get more talent, when they get more pieces, I think he can settle into just being a pure PG and setting the table.

David Aldridge (ESPN writer): They (Kings) needed to upgrade at point guard and I think they got a great young point guard. Tyreke Evans down the road, not right now, but in 2-3 years could be one of the better PG in the nba.

http://www.nba.com/video/
(click on Draft Review for Kings for complete commentary)

Rubio and Evans is a much better combo than Evans Martin. better defensively, better team offense, better to create mis matches.. it'd be great
No it isn't. When you have two guards who are ball dominant and can't shoot from the outside, it's a recipe for disaster. Plus, you take away Evans' physical advantage if you play him at the two.

Accept it, the Kings are trying to get tougher. A Terrence Williams and Evans backcourt is more to GP's liking than Rubio/Evans (Not that I'm suggesting we trade for Williams or that he's even available).

S

sactownfan

Dont want Rubio anymore... we got our guy... Evans was the better choice... only wanted Rubio because the hype... its over move on

This is ridiculous. Nobody is pining over Rubio. And the only person retarded enough to acutally think that Rubio is nothing but hype is pea-brained Brandon Jennings, I'll give the rest of you the benefit of the doubt and assume that the rest of you don't have the capacity of a grade schooler.

Nbrans, sorry but where have you read that Minny is not likely to trade Rubio? I would imagine that they would jump at the chance.

We passed over Rondo a couple of years ago, does that mean that it would be foolish to ever talk about a trade that would bring him here? And just because the Kings were MORE interested in Flynn or Curry than Rubio, which you can't prove, means jack-sh!t. I'm sure GP would be more interested in having Lebron on the team than Dwayne Wade, doesn't mean he would hang up the phone if Miami called.

Evans will be a GUARD in this league. I suspect he would excel while on the court with a true 2 like Kmart, or a pure PG like Rubio. I think he'll be capable of creating mismatches against all guards, not just smaller PGs.

Quit being condescending - 95% of the trades discussed here are far from likely, but this one is no more so than any other.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
This is ridiculous. Nobody is pining over Rubio. And the only person retarded enough to acutally think that Rubio is nothing but hype is pea-brained Brandon Jennings, I'll give the rest of you the benefit of the doubt and assume that the rest of you don't have the capacity of a grade schooler.

Nbrans, sorry but where have you read that Minny is not likely to trade Rubio? I would imagine that they would jump at the chance.

We passed over Rondo a couple of years ago, does that mean that it would be foolish to ever talk about a trade that would bring him here? And just because the Kings were MORE interested in Flynn or Curry than Rubio, which you can't prove, means jack-sh!t. I'm sure GP would be more interested in having Lebron on the team than Dwayne Wade, doesn't mean he would hang up the phone if Miami called.

Evans will be a GUARD in this league. I suspect he would excel while on the court with a true 2 like Kmart, or a pure PG like Rubio. I think he'll be capable of creating mismatches against all guards, not just smaller PGs.

Quit being condescending - 95% of the trades discussed here are far from likely, but this one is no more so than any other.
Couldn't agree more. Add the fact that the kings have a surplus of wings and minn is very short in that area, its not an illogical arguement.

I think it's safe to say that the front office in its current form will not be making any trades for Ricky Rubio.

While I don't think Tyreke Evans is or ever will be a PG nor a solution to our selfish style of play, the Kings office saw something in him enough to pass on an outstanding passer with loads of upside. However, knowing Petrie's track record, I'm giving the Evans experiment a wait-and-see approach.

It's going to be quite tough for Westphal to develop a successul passing system with a such strong set of selfish players, so here's to hoping John Wall comes out of Kentucky as a world-class distributor and we actually win next year's #1...

No one is pining after Rubio? Please. Rainmaker hasn't even changed his/her avatar!

Kahn has said he is willing to wait a year or two for Rubio and even wrote a letter to season ticket holders saying that when he shows up the starting PG spot is his (which must have been news to Flynn). He reportedly turned down offers from Houston and the Knicks. He may trade Rubio down the line, but not until things shake out.

And I'll continue to be condescending towards those who don't recognize that this is not happening. Because if you think this is remotely possible you deserve condescension.

wow.

people on here act as though selecting Evans over Rubio with the #4 pick indicated that the Kings organization has gone over to the Rubio household and peed on their dog.

THe selection doesn't mean that the kings mngmt decided Rubio was crap, it means that they thought Evans was either a slightly better player, or a slightly better fit. THey still clearly thought highly of BOTH players.

this doesn't meant they should trade for him at this point.... but jeez, it is not this huge black or white scenario.
Agreed. If they liked him too, than making a trade with MN makes complete sense. A Rubio-Evans back court would struggle this year because of shooting and youth, but could be deadly in the future.

And there's a big difference between some of the fans disparaging Evans and gushing over Rubio for relatively little reason and proposing a fair trade with a team who drafted him, but isn't likely to keep him.

Agreed. If they liked him too, than making a trade with MN makes complete sense. A Rubio-Evans back court would struggle this year because of shooting and youth, but could be deadly in the future.

And there's a big difference between some of the fans disparaging Evans and gushing over Rubio for relatively little reason and proposing a fair trade with a team who drafted him, but isn't likely to keep him.
Kevin Martin for Ricky Rubio is fair for whom?

Entity

Hall of Famer
Trade for flynn so we can laugh some more at the Rubio-mania subscribers.
lol. I was cool with rubio. I would have accepted him. I wanted evans more. BUT all the Rubio ppl here still bitter about it have turned the rest of us bitter toward Rubio hence the so called bashing. i am sick of hearing about it. I mean the guy got drafted by an NBA team and is acting like a classless jerk. Take him if you want him. I bet you Evans wouldn't have acted like that no matter who picked him. thats class ladies and gentlemen.

How about we see how Evans performs as our PG before we start trying to trade off KMart (wierd stance for me I know). He gives us matchup problems for other teams at the 1. If he doesn't seem to work out at the 1 then I'm all for a fair trade of Kmart for Devin Harris :)

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
No one is pining after Rubio? Please. Rainmaker hasn't even changed his/her avatar!

Kahn has said he is willing to wait a year or two for Rubio and even wrote a letter to season ticket holders saying that when he shows up the starting PG spot is his (which must have been news to Flynn). He reportedly turned down offers from Houston and the Knicks. He may trade Rubio down the line, but not until things shake out.

And I'll continue to be condescending towards those who don't recognize that this is not happening. Because if you think this is remotely possible you deserve condescension.
nbrans, will you feel better if I change my avatar? I wouldn't want you getting all worked up every time you see it.

You are entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else. I agree that a Rubio to Sac trade won't happen, but there is enough of a possibility there that everyone can discuss it without you being condescending. But... you will do what you will.

I have heard far worse, less likely trades proposed on this forum. Doesn't mean we can't discuss them. Also, just because I have a Rubio avatar doesn't mean I am not logical or show bias when talking about Rubio. I like evans, and think he will be a great addition. Look at my recent posts if you don't believe me.