Posey - likely no supsension...

Chicago Sun-Times - According to the Chicago Sun-Times, James Posey doesn't appear to be in serious jeopardy of a suspension, even though the NBA's disciplinary chief had a ringside seat for the Miami Heat forward's flagrant foul on Kirk Hinrich.

"When the foul is to the head, it's considered much more serious,'' said Stu Jackson, who metes out suspensions by the league.

Posey appeared to intentionally bump into Hinrich, who was dribbling at full speed and fell hard with 3:14 left to play Thursday. Posey was assessed the more serious Flagrant 2 penalty, which carries an automatic ejection and a review by Jackson.

"I'll still look at the tape, but it's always better to be in the arena when something happens,'' Jackson said. "The tape doesn't always get everything.''

Posey, booed loudly by the sellout crowd of 22,133 at the United Center, was apologetic afterward and expected a further penalty.

"It was interpreted as excessive in [the officials'] view, even though I didn't think it was excessive,'' Posey said. "I definitely wasn't trying to hurt him. I came from the blind side, just trying to cut him off. And in any collision like that, you'll have that type of reaction.

"You can say that every foul [was] a frustration foul at that point, with how the game was being called. ... There probably will be some repercussion because they ejected me right away.''
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-heat28.html

What the hell? Jackson is ridiculous.

Oh, yeah, of course getting checked while moving and flying a bit to the floor would NEVER put anyone in a possibility of being hurt.

F

Fillmoe

wow.. that is ****ing bull****! im so mad right now.... if yall seen the play its clear posey wasnt even going for the ball he just ran straight into hinrich!

you can watch the play for yourself on nba.com in the highlights.... if artest was suspended 1 game for his actions, i believe this play deserves atleast a 2 game suspension

I'll still look at the tape, but it's always better to be in the arena when something happens,'' Jackson said. "The tape doesn't always get everything.''
Did this statement by Stu Jackson crack up anybody else? So he makes a judgement about Ron, when all he had was tape, but will base his decision on actually being there and seeing Posey's foul, rather than the tape? (and no fould was called on Ron, by the refs that were actually right there!) Good grief. This is ridiculous.:rolleyes:

Fillmoe said:
wow.. that is ****ing bull****! im so mad right now.... if yall seen the play its clear posey wasnt even going for the ball he just ran straight into hinrich!

you can watch the play for yourself on nba.com in the highlights.... if artest was suspended 1 game for his actions, i believe this play deserves atleast a 2 game suspension
The difference is that supposedly Ron's was intentional above the neck and Posey's was intentional below the neck. Is Posey's clearly at or above the neck? (I haven't seen it yet.)

F

Fillmoe

kennadog said:
The difference is that supposedly Ron's was intentional above the neck and Posey's was intentional below the neck. Is Posey's clearly at or above the neck? (I haven't seen it yet.)
they were running down the court full speed... you could see posey sizing up hinrich and than he just puts his shoulder into hinrichs body from the left side.... looked like i was watching NHL or NFL.... you can see the play on nba.com.. check out the heat/bulls game 3 highlights... it was a flagrant 2 and he was ejected....

Fillmoe said:
they were running down the court full speed... you could see posey sizing up hinrich and than he just puts his shoulder into hinrichs body from the left side.... looked like i was watching NHL or NFL.... you can see the play on nba.com.. check out the heat/bulls game 3 highlights... it was a flagrant 2 and he was ejected....
I just saw it. It didn't look like he hit Hinrich at or above the neck and supposedly that is the difference as far as a suspension.

F

Fillmoe

kennadog said:
I just saw it. It didn't look like he hit Hinrich at or above the neck and supposedly that is the difference as far as a suspension.
which one was more malicious? what if hinrich fell down akwardely and hit his head on the hardwood?

F

Fillmoe

Bballkingsrock said:
Anyone have a video of it? I would like to compare it to Ron Artests's one.
nba.com heat/bulls game 3 highlights is prolly the best your gonna find

kennadog said:
Doesn't matter, Hinrich could of hurt something else while getting pushed to the floor some and while in motion. It was at the shoulders.

And neither were plays on the ball.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Kings113 said:
Doesn't matter, Hinrich could of hurt something else while getting pushed to the floor some and while in motion. It was at the shoulders.

And neither were plays on the ball.
Oh, but it does matter by rule. Theoretically ANY hit could result in a guy falling down and knocking his noggin, but a few years back they went ahead and started adjusting upwards for blows DIRECTLY to the head. Not normally love taps like the one Artest threw mind you. But nonetheless the two types of hits are considered seperately.

Bricklayer

Kings113 said:
Okay.

Point is, in this incident especially, he could of well hurt his arm/hand/head, with that knock.
I suppose. It was definitely dirty, but heck, if that was going to hurt you then nobody would survive past preseason in football. Almost any hard hit around the basket is more dangerous, with guys up off their feet and exposed.

Dirty play, but the NBA is handing out suspensions anymore for DANGEROUS play I think, not dirty. Smack a guy hard, but catch him on the way down, might be a flagrant, but no suspension. Smack him and pull him oout of the air to crash on court, then it becomes possibly suspension. etc.

Just announced on SportsCenter, Posey suspended 1 game. I like him, but I ultimately knew this was coming.

edit: Shootaround crew looking at it from both sides (Artest/Posey), good.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Kings113 said:
Just announced on SportsCenter, Posey suspended 1 game. I like him, but I ultimately knew this was coming.

edit: Shootaround crew looking at it from both sides (Artest/Posey), good.
Kind of interesting after Stu said he wasn't going to do it. Wonder if Stern got involved?

Probably the right decision given the obvious intent, dictated by the ruels or not.

NEW YORK -- The NBA has suspended James Posey of the Miami Heat from Game 4 of their series with the Chicago Bulls for a hard foul against Kirk Hinrich late in the Bulls' Game 3 win. Posey was whistled for a flagrant foul penalty two for the incident, which occurred with 3:15 remaining in the fourth quarter of the Bulls' 109-90 win over the Heat. Hinrich was driving up the floor when Posey knocked him to the floor. Posey was thrown out of the game.
Game 4 will be played Sunday.
Posey, a seven-year pro, averaged 7.2 points and 4.8 rebounds per game this season.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2006/news/story?id=2425940

I think the NBA just wants a clean playoffs. They dont want to be viewed as an alternative to watching hockey. Message. Clean it up boys. Play hard but no hard cheap shots.

Several Heat players were playing chippy in that game. Playng Riley-ball.