Players to watch: 2016/17 college season.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm leaning towards Fox/Markkanen for my preferred pair. The more I watch Fox play, the more he impresses me. His speed with the ball is hard to stop and because of his body control/footwork, he's next to impossible to stay in front of and keep from attacking the rim. Fox checks nearly all the boxes I want out of a future-stud PG. It's only a matter if he can get that shot working too.
Markkanen had a terrific game against UCLA. I'm not opposed to him if the Kings are sitting on Otto Porter's doorstep one minute past midnight on July 1st along with Joerger, Vlade, Vivek, and Temple, who is a friend of Porter's, and a 25 mil per year for four years contract. One thing is for sure, were going to have some good choices in the draft, barring a total disaster in the lottery. At the moment, I'm going with Funky's choice of Tatum and Ntilikina.

Markkanen had a terrific game against UCLA. I'm not opposed to him if the Kings are sitting on Otto Porter's doorstep one minute past midnight on July 1st along with Joerger, Vlade, Vivek, and Temple, who is a friend of Porter's, and a 25 mil per year for four years contract. One thing is for sure, were going to have some good choices in the draft, barring a total disaster in the lottery. At the moment, I'm going with Funky's choice of Tatum and Ntilikina.
Yeah, Tatum is right there for me too. Him with Fox and Markkanen are my top 3 guys in the 5-9 range we're expected to be in with our 2 picks.

I do think we have a realistic shot at getting an Otto deal done if we're smart about it. Wizards are quickly approaching cap hell with a Wall extension on the horizon and we can send them a decent replacement, Temple, along with a good young wing prospect like Malachi to fill in the Otto void. They also just spent a 1st round pick to bring in Bojan, who also is a RFA. With how deep this FA class is too, I doubt the RFA's will get much love during the first few days of FA.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yeah, Tatum is right there for me too. Him with Fox and Markkanen are my top 3 guys in the 5-9 range we're expected to be in with our 2 picks.

I do think we have a realistic shot at getting an Otto deal done if we're smart about it. Wizards are quickly approaching cap hell with a Wall extension on the horizon and we can send them a decent replacement, Temple, along with a good young wing prospect like Malachi to fill in the Otto void. They also just spent a 1st round pick to bring in Bojan, who also is a RFA. With how deep this FA class is too, I doubt the RFA's will get much love during the first few days of FA.
Well, is we get Porter to sign on the dotted line, and they don't match, we don't have to send them anything. However, I could see a sign and trade happening as a compromise. Remember, the also have Kelly Oubre waiting in the wings. However, I don't expect that we'll be the only team sitting on their doorstep.

I'm leaning towards Fox/Markkanen for my preferred pair. The more I watch Fox play, the more he impresses me. His speed with the ball is hard to stop and because of his body control/footwork, he's next to impossible to stay in front of and keep from attacking the rim. Fox checks nearly all the boxes I want out of a future-stud PG. It's only a matter if he can get that shot working too.
Honestly, I wouldn't be a be a big fan of that combo. Since we don't have Cousins anymore, we'll be looking for a franchise player and scorer. I don't know if that'll be either of those guys. Fox showed his ability to take over a game today, but his 3pt shot is still non-existent(there aren't any elite scoring PGs without a 3pt shot). With Markkanen, it'll come down to his aggressiveness. That 4-5 bad game stretch still leaves a poor taste for me. He has good offensive versatility, but I question on whether or not he can put the ball on the floor against NBA PFs. He's a smooth athlete, but not quick. Markkanen has a good floor, but not a high ceiling due to his defensive limitations.

Well, is we get Porter to sign on the dotted line, and they don't match, we don't have to send them anything. However, I could see a sign and trade happening as a compromise. Remember, the also have Kelly Oubre waiting in the wings. However, I don't expect that we'll be the only team sitting on their doorstep.
I'd like Otto, but I don't think we have a real shot at him. Washington will not hesitate to match him imo. I know they'll be playing around in the luxury tax, but Porter Jr is only 23/24, and he's in his prime with Wall and Beal.

Porter would be a very good signing and give Isaac or Tatum room to grow. The Kings would be overpaying for Otto but that's just the new reality of the NBA.

But

PG Collison (or Lawson)/Ntilikina/Jawun Evans
SG Temple/Hield/Richardson
SF Porter/Tatum (or Isaac)/Bogdanovic
PF Labissiere/Tolliver/FA
C Koufos/Cauley-Stein/Papagiannis

Is a pretty solid roster with room for growth. And if Bogdanovic comes over and Papagiannis puts in work over the summer and develops then Malachi and Kosta could be trade pieces to help beef up the forward spots.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Honestly, I wouldn't be a be a big fan of that combo. Since we don't have Cousins anymore, we'll be looking for a franchise player and scorer. I don't know if that'll be either of those guys. Fox showed his ability to take over a game today, but his 3pt shot is still non-existent(there aren't any elite scoring PGs without a 3pt shot). With Markkanen, it'll come down to his aggressiveness. That 4-5 bad game stretch still leaves a poor taste for me. He has good offensive versatility, but I question on whether or not he can put the ball on the floor against NBA PFs. He's a smooth athlete, but not quick. Markkanen has a good floor, but not a high ceiling due to his defensive limitations.

I'd like Otto, but I don't think we have a real shot at him. Washington will not hesitate to match him imo. I know they'll be playing around in the luxury tax, but Porter Jr is only 23/24, and he's in his prime with Wall and Beal.
Well, I read their newspapers and they might let him walk. Wall is coming up for an extension after next season, and he'll be in that 40 mil a year area. They also have Oubre sitting there. It's not a given that they'll match. They also have Trey Burke to resign.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Porter would be a very good signing and give Isaac or Tatum room to grow. The Kings would be overpaying for Otto but that's just the new reality of the NBA.

But

PG Collison (or Lawson)/Ntilikina/Jawun Evans
SG Temple/Hield/Richardson
SF Porter/Tatum (or Isaac)/Bogdanovic
PF Labissiere/Tolliver/FA
C Koufos/Cauley-Stein/Papagiannis

Is a pretty solid roster with room for growth. And if Bogdanovic comes over and Papagiannis puts in work over the summer and develops then Malachi and Kosta could be trade pieces to help beef up the forward spots.
It would be a good start back to relevance. And, we would have our 1st round pick in the 2018 draft as well to continue building. The nice thing about Porter is that he's already a very good player, and he's only 23 years old. If you can pull it off, which is hardly a given, you would could have him around for a long time.

My preferred realistic pair is Tatum/Monk. Monk is just too tantalizing a talent to pass on. I just think Monk has remarkable lead guard potential. Ntilikina and then Fox are right behind Monk for me. If Tatum and Isaac are gone somehow, then I would take Bridges. Smith would not be on my board. I cannot see Joerger playing and developing that kind of PG.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Well, I read their newspapers and they might let him walk. Wall is coming up for an extension after next season, and he'll be in that 40 mil a year area. They also have Oubre sitting there. It's not a given that they'll match. They also have Trey Burke to resign.
You're kidding, right? Trey Burke is terrible, Brandon Jennings was brought off the waivers for a reason.

The Kings will end up having a high 2nd round pick(Philly's pick), and I think there's going to be a lot of talented players in the 2nd. Who do you guys like?

Here's a small list of talented players that might be available:
PG Jawun Evans. Very quick smaller PG with fantastic scoring instincts. I will not be surprised if ends up drafted late 1st.
SG Allonzo Trier. Hands down, one of the best scorers in college. Think a slightly bigger version of Lou Will.
SG Josh Hart. High IQ SG with average physical tools. He can shoot the 3 ball and rebound very well for a SG.

Outside of the top three I'm not seeing much star potential. Monk, Isaac, Smith, and Fox aren't getting me too excited at this point. Markkanen and Tatum are our two best shots imo and even then Tatum might be Rudy Gay and Markkanen might be Ryan Anderson... Solid players but nothing to get fired up about.

I feel that this team is currently in a desperate need of a capable scorer who can create his own shot. That is why I am really hopeful that the team will draft Tatum. He also addressesa position of need.

I would also be prepared to trade up to get Fultz, even if he does end up being the only player we get from this draft.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You're kidding, right? Trey Burke is terrible, Brandon Jennings was brought off the waivers for a reason.
I was simply mentioning that he was also a restricted freeagent. Sorry I brought it up. You can't say a dammed thing around here without someone finding fault with it. .

I feel that this team is currently in a desperate need of a capable scorer who can create his own shot. That is why I am really hopeful that the team will draft Tatum. He also addressesa position of need.

I would also be prepared to trade up to get Fultz, even if he does end up being the only player we get from this draft.
That would take #6 & #8 (assuming that's what the Kings end up with) and likely a good deal more. The Kings can't trade a future 1st (thankfully) due to Philly owning the 2019 pick so I'm not sure what the team winning the lottery would want for #1. That said, I'd certainly be okay with the Kings trading their two picks and Malachi and/or Koufos if that would get the job done. The Kings need a star to build on.

If that trade up isn't a possibility (and the Kings don't beat the odds to land the #2 or #3 pick for Ball or Jackson) then I'm still hoping for a combo of either Tatum or Isaac and Ntilinka or Fox.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
If the ping pong balls bounce nicely and we get, let's say, #1, does Philly get that given that Philly may have a worse (best?) record than us?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If the ping pong balls bounce nicely and we get, let's say, #1, does Philly get that given that Philly may have a worse (best?) record than us?
If we get #1 Philly will swap. Records don't matter, they get the option to swap AFTER the lottery.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
If we get #1 Philly will swap. Records don't matter, they get the option to swap AFTER the lottery.
crap!!! I think I knew that and purposely blocked it from my mind. Then let Philly and the Kings get into the top three. Then I won't care if we swap or not. Heck top 5 sounds nice. <<<<< This is do-able.

That would take #6 & #8 (assuming that's what the Kings end up with) and likely a good deal more. The Kings can't trade a future 1st (thankfully) due to Philly owning the 2019 pick so I'm not sure what the team winning the lottery would want for #1. That said, I'd certainly be okay with the Kings trading their two picks and Malachi and/or Koufos if that would get the job done. The Kings need a star to build on.

If that trade up isn't a possibility (and the Kings don't beat the odds to land the #2 or #3 pick for Ball or Jackson) then I'm still hoping for a combo of either Tatum or Isaac and Ntilinka or Fox.
You'd really give up 6-8 and Malachi for Fultz? Is he THAT much better of a PG prospect than Ntilinka or Fox?

It's just too much to give up. You can get 2 all-stars at 6 and 8 and Malachi at the very least looks to be a quality rotational guy. I like Fultz a lot and I think he's going to be a damn good player in this league, but he essentially needs to be a superstar to make it worth that haul.

I was simply mentioning that he was also a restricted freeagent. Sorry I brought it up. You can't say a dammed thing around here without someone finding fault with it. .
Hey Baja, are you going to Sacramento's March Madness games? Looks like they'll be hosting Oregon vs. Iona, RI vs Creigton, UCLA vs. Kent St, Cincinnati vs. WF/Kansas St.

I don't think any of them will be very good games, but that's a lot of potential NBA prospects in Sacramento.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
You'd really give up 6-8 and Malachi for Fultz? Is he THAT much better of a PG prospect than Ntilinka or Fox?

It's just too much to give up. You can get 2 all-stars at 6 and 8 and Malachi at the very least looks to be a quality rotational guy. I like Fultz a lot and I think he's going to be a damn good player in this league, but he essentially needs to be a superstar to make it worth that haul.
Drafting is not an exact science. There is the possibility that any one of our two top picks might be better than Fultz or darn close. Who really knows?

I think Fultz will be elite

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think Fultz will be elite
It is very tempting especially when we have a boat load of big guys, more SGs, than any team should be legally allowed to have and we need a PG. We also need a SF. If we get 4-6, does that change the trade? :) I think 6-8 is pessimistic.

That is part of my thinking as well.

The team needs a star, a franchise level player and if Fultz is really it, pull the trigger. That will address the PG position for the long term. Re-sign Collison as a vet who can help out and Kings still have max money to offer a FA. If by luck they manage to add Porter Jr. all of a sudden your PG and SF positions are addressed now and in the long run. Skal and Buddy are still on the roster to give you some youth to develop.

That is part of my thinking as well.

The team needs a star, a franchise level player and if Fultz is really it, pull the trigger. That will address the PG position for the long term. Re-sign Collison as a vet who can help out and Kings still have max money to offer a FA. If by luck they manage to add Porter Jr. all of a sudden your PG and SF positions are addressed now and in the long run. Skal and Buddy are still on the roster to give you some youth to develop.
If there's a way to get Fultz without trading Trill and Skal and without giving away future 1sts then I think you do it. This is a strong draft but Fultz is the kid I have zero reservations about. Barring injury I can't see a way that he's not a very good or great player in the NBA.

Koufos/Cauley-Stein/Papagiannis
FA/Labissiere/Tolliver
Porter/Afflalo/FA or 2nd rounder
Temple/Hield/Bogdanovic
Fultz/Collison/FA or 2nd rounder

Would be a really solid team to build on.

I really hope De'Aaron Fox is availabe when we pick. I had him #3 on my board for a while now and his good tournament has only strenghtend his case.
As of right now I'm cautiously optimistic that he is going to be available, even although DX has moved him up to #5. I hope the teams in front of us are still too worried about his jumper, especially teams like the 76ers or the magic who may feel the need to go with more shooting in Monk or Smith Jr.

Assuming we get something like the 5 and 8 pick I would like Any combination of Tatum, Isaac, Monk, Fox, Markanen.

Tatum reminds me of Rudy Gay but with a better handle and court vision/willingness to pass.

Isaac is interesting because he projects as an elite 3 and D guy and he actually has high basketball IQ. I could see him being the next Khawai Leonard or Giannis if absolutely EVERYTHING comes together. Hes seems pretty passive though, I guess much like Leonard would have been at the same age. His frame is freakishly long but also freakishly thin. I dont know what his floor is but I think he is a starter in the league at worst. I think he has the largest ceiling vs floor in this draft.

Monk is also interesting because of the Kentucky "hiding guy's skills myth". Guys like Booker and Murray were used as pure shooter or scorers at Kentucky when they had playmaking ability in them. Monk is a pure scorer in every sense, and if he does have more than that than he could be a star. I think his ceiling is an even more explosive CJ Mccollum and his floor is Lou Williams.

Fox is a guy that really intrigues me. He is electrically quick and has great body control and shiftiness to go along with his quickness. He has great size and length for a PG. The issue is his outside shot, inconsistent to say the least but I dont see anything broken there, its something imo that will improve as a pro. I see his ceiling as a more explosive Mike Conley and his floor as Elfrid Payton.

Maerkenen is interesting, he is 7 ft tall and already has an elite NBA skill in his outside shooting and he can put the ball on the floor too. I think in a world where Porzingis doesnt exist this kid would face the same criticism Porzingis faced as a prospect. I need to see more of the rest of his game though.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Hey Baja, are you going to Sacramento's March Madness games? Looks like they'll be hosting Oregon vs. Iona, RI vs Creigton, UCLA vs. Kent St, Cincinnati vs. WF/Kansas St.

I don't think any of them will be very good games, but that's a lot of potential NBA prospects in Sacramento.
Well, I would love to go, but as per my name, I live in Baja Mexico now. So it's a little difficult to get to the games. However, every year Uncia03 and I get together for a week of college basketball. I'll be picking him up at the San Diego airport and driving him back down to my place where we'll watch basketball from morning till morning. Doesn't get any better than that.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I've spent the last two days searching for, and watching film of Frank Ntilikina, and he's pretty impressive. For a kid who isn't even 19 years old yet, he's very skilled. Now I grant you, it's European basketball, but there were several games where he was dominate. There was one game where he played with the flu, and was still one of the best players on the floor. He has terrific size for the PG position. He's a very good athlete, and an excellent defender. And, unlike many young plaers, he actually has a very good three point shot. He may have worked his way into my favorite choice at where the Kings will be picking.

Give me him, and either Isaac or Tatum, and I'm happy.
Coming out of the draft with Isaac and Ntilikina would make me incredibly happy.

Willie
Skal
Isaac
Temple
Ntilikina

has absolutely incredible defensive potential as a possible starting line-up down the line, especially with Dave Joerger as the head coach. Offensively, we're probably still lacking that 1A option (though I feel like Isaac does have the potential down the line a la Kawhi), although with Buddy/Malachi/maybe Bogdan, we'd have a bunch of scoring wings to try to mask that.

Tatum reminds me of Rudy Gay (in a good way) but, as we're in complete and total rebuild mode, I'm going to gamble on the guy with "more" potential in Isaac.

Completely agree with you on the Frank Ntilikina love though.

Well, I would love to go, but as per my name, I live in Baja Mexico now. So it's a little difficult to get to the games. However, every year Uncia03 and I get together for a week of college basketball. I'll be picking him up at the San Diego airport and driving him back down to my place where we'll watch basketball from morning till morning. Doesn't get any better than that.
I wish I could join you.